2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Sandbaggers....Why???

I'm curious...
To all of you out there who are either self-proclaimed or publicly-proclaimed sandbaggers, or if you just have an opinion about sandbagging...

Why do you do it? Ever since I was young, I have grown with the unshakable idea that you should strive to do the best you can possibly do every single time. This means that when I ran cross country, swam, ran track, and participated in martial arts (while I was healthy, i am currently injured and not practicing or playing :russian_roulette: ), I would give 110% in every single endeavor I would undertake. Sandbagging seems to completely go against what I believe, so I cannot comprehend why you out there would do it. Can you please enlighten me? Thanks guys!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Believe it or not, some people actually cheat to win!

Seriously though, sandbagging has been around forever. My mom does it sometimes to win club championships! She will purposely shoot high scores a few weeks before a tournament to, "Get her handicap up," because she won't win with her current, "low," handicap. She doesn't look at it as cheating. Just getting her handicap to where it should be for her age or how she feels she is playing. So many of us can't live up to our current handicap while playing in tournaments due to pressure. So they fudge it a little.

Many people golf for big money and they need a high handicap to win. Others just want to win something, anything, for bragging rights or whatever. I guess it could be summed up as, "Greed."

When I was at my best, before numerous back injuries, I wanted my handicap as low as possible. I loved bragging about that.

[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]10.5* PING G30 Tour 65S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]15* TM RBZ Matrix Ozik 7S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]18.5* TM RBZ Tour Matrix Ozik 7S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]21.5* Bio Cell Hybrid[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]5-AW Srixon z545 C-Taper Lite S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]PING Glide 54*SS, 58*TS[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]Taylormade DLL+ 36"[/color][/size][/font]

I was called one tonight at bowling!!!!!

I used to be a very good bowler, averaging over 220 at several different houses. I had surgery on my wrist and had quit for about 5 years. I bowled 1 year and quit for another 3. This year I decided to bowl again and I did not have an average so you have to establish one. well after 2 weeks I was averaging 181! I could not find my rythm and my footwork was all wacked out. I decided to try something totally different tonight since I could no longer throw it like I used too. I ended up shooting a 278-300-214 for a 792 series. Everyone kept saying I was a sandbagger which bugs me. I honestly can not stand when people do it on purpose. I was really trying the first two weeks but I just wasnt able to get anything going.

I think it is harder to sandbag in golf but I am sure there are guys who do. I also think someone can appear to be sandbagging but in reallity they are just concentrating more when something is on the line. I know there are times when I play I am trying to do something to make myself better, like hitting driver on every par 4 and 5 just to get better. My score might be higher but its not because I wasnt trying. If I was in a tournament I might only hit my driver a handfull of times. When there is something on the line I will play a lot smarter then I normally would.

TE C722 9* House of Forged custom shaft XX
TE C722 15* Tensei AV-RAW White 7x

TE C722 18* Tensei AV-RAW White 8x

Ping I525 4-GW Project X IO stiff
Vokey SM8 54*
Vokey SM8 58*
Putter = flavor of the day. (EvnRoll ER11vx, 3 different Seemores,  TM TM2 Truss CS, Machine CS M2A Converter, 2 different Yes putters)
Maxfli Tour X or Vice Pro

I'm not a sand bagger, but I belonged to two different clubs and only kept a proper handicap at one of them, when I went to the junior club champ for the course I didn't keep it at they had me down at a 20 when I was a 12. The scores were a couple that I had put in a couple years ago.

I told them my real handicap, and insisted they change it. For some reason they refused.

Needless to say I won the overall net by like 20 strokes.

[quote name='joekelli' post='1966932' date='Sep 22 2009, 09:05 PM']I think it is harder to sandbag in golf but I am sure there are guys who do. I also think someone can appear to be sandbagging but in reallity they are just concentrating more when something is on the line. I know there are times when I play I am trying to do something to make myself better, like hitting driver on every par 4 and 5 just to get better. My score might be higher but its not because I wasnt trying. If I was in a tournament I might only hit my driver a handfull of times. When there is something on the line I will play a lot smarter then I normally would.[/quote]
Then you should play to a tournament handicap since that is the real indicator of your true golfing ability.

I don't know you and don't know if you realized how some people would react to what you posted, but golfers like you are why I no longer play in net events.

You are a "sandbagger".

By your own admission, you don't play "smart" golf unless you are in a tournament which means your non-tournament scores are not indicative of your actual playing ability, which in turn means your handicap is not valid.

People who "concentrate more" when they are in a tournament or when "something is on the line" are sandbaggers. Period.

Old stuff:
1962 Tommy Armour AT2W Driver   1953 Macgregor M65W EOM 3 wood   1978 H&B PowerBilt Citation 4 wood
1984 Ben Hogan Apex PC 2-E   1968 Wilson Dual Wedge
1964 Acushnet O-SET M6S Bullseye Putter

New stuff
Cobra ZL 10.5 driver (Matrix HD6 s-flex)  Titleist TSR2 18* fairway wood (Matrix Code-8 s-flex)   Adams A2P 20* hybrid (Rombax 8D07HB s-flex)
Titleist 716 MB irons 4-PW (Apex 4 soft-stepped)    Callaway Mack Daddy wedges 52, 56, 60 (DG S200)
Odyssey ProType 9 putter

I'm also in amazement of what drives people to sandbag. A mate who came running up in the C-grade champs last year has played well since and a good round the other day took him into A-grade. Upon congratulating him on reaching A grade (where he should be) he said he now needs to blow out quickly with the champs coming soon, so so he can win B-grade. What?

at my course you can only put in cards for handicap during tournaments

its good in ways that it stops people from going out and playing purposely awful to get a high handicap for when they play in comps
however it makes it alot harder for genuine golfers like me to get my handicap down, whichi am desperately trying to do at the moment

and i would much rather have a low handicap than have a high one to give myself an unfair advantage in a comp

Sandbagging is safer than steroids.
Net effect is the same...gives someone an unfair advantage.
I see what you are saying..and if everyone did the same (state their true handicap), it would work fine. But many people lie, cheat, steal..human nature I guess. In some cases, people do not keep a true handicap, so when they guesstimate...they err on the high side.
Bottom line is that you have to be true to yourself and police yourself. If someone does call you a sandbagger when you are not - at least you can hold your head high.

Driver (9.0) - Cobra LTDx Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S, 44.5"
Wood (14.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S

Wood (17.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S
Driving Iron (20) - Srixon U65 Project X 5.5
Irons (5-6) - Srixon Z565 Project X 5.5
Irons (7-P) - Srixon Z765 Project X 5.5
Wedges - Vokey SM-7 Jet Black / 50.08 F / 54.08 M / 58.08 M DG S300
Putter - Edel E-1
Ball - Titleist Prov1x
ZGrip Midsized Grips

Sandbaggers = Losers = Cheaters..

They are all same.
You know who you are.
I see it all the time. I hate it. Golf is based on honor system. If you sandbag, then you are lying to yourself and to your friends.
Just because sandbaggers been around for long time, doesn't make it right..

I also hate people that cheat in an outing.

[quote name='dpark' post='1967070' date='Sep 23 2009, 01:27 AM'][quote name='joekelli' post='1966932' date='Sep 22 2009, 09:05 PM']I think it is harder to sandbag in golf but I am sure there are guys who do. I also think someone can appear to be sandbagging but in reallity they are just concentrating more when something is on the line. I know there are times when I play I am trying to do something to make myself better, like hitting driver on every par 4 and 5 just to get better. My score might be higher but its not because I wasnt trying. If I was in a tournament I might only hit my driver a handfull of times. When there is something on the line I will play a lot smarter then I normally would.[/quote]
Then you should play to a tournament handicap since that is the real indicator of your true golfing ability.

I don't know you and don't know if you realized how some people would react to what you posted, but golfers like you are why I no longer play in net events.

You are a "sandbagger".

By your own admission, you don't play "smart" golf unless you are in a tournament which means your non-tournament scores are not indicative of your actual playing ability, which in turn means your handicap is not valid.

People who "concentrate more" when they are in a tournament or when "something is on the line" are sandbaggers. Period.
[/quote]

What is a "tournament handicap" and how to do you get one? Do you simply post only tournament scores and ignore the others? I'm not aware of a USGA Handicap System Rule that requires that you "try as hard as you optimally can" before you post a score.

I can understand the rationale, but I have never encountered it (within the USGA system).

The USGA system has a methodology for handling Tournament Scores that are better than your aggregate scores. Labeling this as an "invalid handicap" looks wrong to me. If his/her T-Scores are way better, then he will get a reduced ("R") index.

If you think that this situation is the essense of "the sandbagging problem" within the US system, I would strongly disagree. There are serious problems - this isn't it (IMHO).

dave

ps. I am trying out a new driver today. I am not expecting it to perform as well as my current go-to driver. But range experience and on-the-course experiences can be different. I would never do this in a serious competition, but I will (regardless) post the score. I can't imagine any USGA official suggesting that I not post this score (assuming that all the other conditions described in USGA Handicap Manual Section 5 are met).

I dont get the concept of sandbagging either. Even if I were a 25 handicap, I'd still want to play a lower handicap or even a scratch golfer because I know that I must shoot one hell of a game to get close or beat that opponent. For me, the rush is in knowing that I may have a higher handicap, but since there are no strokes...I'm forced to play better and adopt a higher focus on course management. A trophy does not mean s**t to me if I know I cheated.

It's almost to the point where I think the handicap system should be done away with and then it's every man for themselves. But then again, that would not be fair to those who follow and honor the integrity of the game and follow the handicap system.

Driver: Who knows at this point smh

Titleist 917f2 13.5*

Taylormade P790 UDI 2

Ping iCrossover - 3 iron

Taylormade P7MB 4-AW DG 105x

Mizuno T22 50* Blue Ion Modus 115x

Mizuno T22 54 Denim Copper TI S400/Vokey SM5 54F

Mizuno MCraft Type VI

In my experience this is always been the low handicapper who is sick of being beat (net) by an 18 who "goes off" and shoots an 82 that day.

Many people (that I know) will "sandbag" as they feel justified because "everyone else is doing it" and therefor they are just leveling the playing field. In some instances this might be the case, but not always. I do believe that the only realistic solution is to only consider scores from previous tournaments - omitting the index from the normal day to day rounds. While this scenario doesn't eliminate the sandbagger who enters a tournament for the first time, it does "weed out" those who make a career of cheating those of us that would like to compete on a level field.

Sandbagging is prevalent, everyone wants gift certs or cash in big events, stealing from your friends is what i call it

For example, Half our Wed men's nights are net, we get 80-100 guys every week for a 2pm shotgun

I am a ~ 3.5 index.

If I told you the number of times a guy has netted between 61 to 64 you'd throw up. We had a 17 shoot 80 a month ago. That is insane sandbagging and he has dropped in 4 weeks to a 10 and is whining about itHe beat me straight up !!!

Our course (from the blues is sloped over 140) is very hard. Three 80's wins the Club C's from the Gold Tee's

Don't get me started on all the 9's and 10's that shoot 78 frequently on Wed.

My best score at home is a 74 this year (which is below scratch). In 5 years I've been under par once on this track. So some nights I need to shoot a 67 or 68 to have a sniff ... c'mon.

When the same 10 names win all the net events regularly - you have major problems

Ping G430 10k Blueboard 53x

Cally AI Smoke 3w 17* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping i210 & s55 6 - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

Scotty GoLo

I currently play to an 11 because of lack of practice time etc. I have played as low as an 8. I have never played in an official tournament, but I make a conscious effort to practice a bit more than I normally do when I am playing competitively with my buddies, and my scores are generally better than my handicap because I know how to score lower I just cant pull the shots off as well in my handicap rounds because I dont practice them.

Also, as someone else said, I have fun on the course which includes trying to hit shots that I would not normally try when playing competitively. It is just how it goes, but I post every round, including my 99 at bethpage when I didnt have a great swing and the course beat me up. Sure it looks like I might have been trying to sandbag if you look at my 20 rounds (85,87,83,82,99....) but it just wasnt the case. Anyway, most sandbaggers do it to win.

My buddy was a victim of sandbagging earlier this year. The guy was a "22" who hit almost every fairway, hit probably 5/13 greens (my buddy lost 6&5), and never 3 putted on some very tough greens. My buddy is a true 4 so he was giving a stroke on every hole so he really had no shot, its sad but some people feel it is more important to win than be honorable.

[quote name='dpark' post='1967070' date='Sep 23 2009, 01:27 AM'][quote name='joekelli' post='1966932' date='Sep 22 2009, 09:05 PM']I think it is harder to sandbag in golf but I am sure there are guys who do. I also think someone can appear to be sandbagging but in reallity they are just concentrating more when something is on the line. I know there are times when I play I am trying to do something to make myself better, like hitting driver on every par 4 and 5 just to get better. My score might be higher but its not because I wasnt trying. If I was in a tournament I might only hit my driver a handfull of times. When there is something on the line I will play a lot smarter then I normally would.[/quote]

You are a "sandbagger".

[/quote]

Just because I play smart golf when there is something on the line does not make me a sandbagger. I also do not participate in any handicap events! I play to a 3.6 index and I only keep track so I know how well I am doing. I have not played in an event in over 25 years. I am planning on getting in some tournaments next season but they will be scratch tournaments. I do the same with bowling, I do not play in any tournament that requires a handicap. I kind of have my own rule "If I cant beat you heads up then I do not deserve to win!"

TE C722 9* House of Forged custom shaft XX
TE C722 15* Tensei AV-RAW White 7x

TE C722 18* Tensei AV-RAW White 8x

Ping I525 4-GW Project X IO stiff
Vokey SM8 54*
Vokey SM8 58*
Putter = flavor of the day. (EvnRoll ER11vx, 3 different Seemores,  TM TM2 Truss CS, Machine CS M2A Converter, 2 different Yes putters)
Maxfli Tour X or Vice Pro

[quote name='midasmulligan2000' post='1967365' date='Sep 23 2009, 09:56 AM']I must politely, but strongly disagree with this. What he is describing is not "sandbagging" in my opinion. In fact, what he is describing is [i]required[/i].
----------------------------------------------------------
5-1. Acceptability of Scores
Fair handicapping depends upon full and accurate information regarding a player's potential scoring ability as reflected by a complete scoring record. Every player must be responsible for returning all acceptable scores, as defined in this section. For handicap purposes, all Section 4 adjustments, including Equitable Stroke Control, must be applied to all scores including tournament scores.
---------------------------------------------------------

If you want a legitimate handicap, you must post the scores of [i]every[/i] round played on a course with a USGA course/slope rating (indeed, even partial rounds ... if you play any more that 13 holes, you must post an 18 hole round). There are exceptions to this, but the principle is that [i]all[/i] rounds should be counted ... no one should have a sandbagging handicap, [i]or[/i] a vanity handicap.

A great number of average golfers (indeed, most) - who aren't pros, and cannot spend endless hours on the range - do a [i]lot[/i] of their "practicing" while they are playing. What this guy is describing is completely normal ... hitting a driver a lot to work out some swing change, etc., etc.

When I, for instance, get a new set of irons, it usually takes me a month or two to get fully used to them. I'll try different shots with them, get a feel for what they can do. My scores sometimes go up slightly. If it so happens that I play a tournament during that period, I'll naturally go back to the clubs I'm used to. According to you, this is "sandbagging".

Another example ... there's courses I play that have "risk/reward" holes ... if I'm driving well on a particular day, I may decide to try to fly some water (for instance), while during a tournament ... I'd almost invariably lay up ("smart golf" as the fellow calls it). Am I "sandbagging"? Good grief no.

In fact, I'm not sure if I know a single (decent, experienced) golfer that doesn't concentrate a bit harder, and make more conservative course management choices during a tournament.

Amateur golf is supposed to be a sport ... i.e., [i]fun[/i]. The total purpose of playing golf is not to get a perfect handicap ... it is to have [i]fun[/i]. Sometimes one just wants to grip it and rip it. Try a low percentage shot. To go for something with high risk and high reward. It is what the average weekend is [i]made of[/i].

In fact, the USGA system [i]understands[/i] that most amateurs practice on the course ... it is why the system only uses the average of the best scores, and throws out the worst.

"Sandbagging", in my opinion, is purposely and intentionally attempting to raise one's handicap in order to gain an unfair advantage in competitions.

What this guy described is certainly not sandbagging ... in fact, what he described is keeping a handicap that is exactly in accordance with USGA rules.

There is no such thing as a "Tournament" handicap. There are rounds that you need to mark with a "T" ... this decision is actually not made by the player, but rather by the Committee that is organizing the tournament (because not every "tournament" is a tournament ... a Club Championship usually is a T, for instance, while a charity tournament in which half the field is blasted by the ninth hole ... is not).

And indeed, there are complex rules by which one's Handicap for a tournament is lowered if the player has 2 or more T-Scores in their current record. In short, the rules [i]themselves[/i] already take everything into account.

In other words, the rules themselves are set up to catch sandbaggers (doesn't mean there's not ways around the rules - but the concept is acknowledged).

Point is ... this guy has a perfectly valid - in fact, completely normal - USGA Handicap. He practices on the course sometimes (as pretty much every amateur golfer does). Takes some rounds more seriously than others. Concentrates a bit more, and plays more cnservative golf during tourneys (as pretty much every amateur also does). And he enters every score ... as the Rules [i]require[/i].[/quote]

Excellent points, Midas.

Just to avoid confusion by others, I'd note that "practice rounds" that are posted must adhere to The Rules of Golf. There are Decisions that help frame this, such as:

[quote]5-1d/2. Status of Scores Made when Two Balls Played Throughout Round

Q: A player frequently plays alone and plays two balls throughout the round. May the player return the score made with each ball for handicap purposes?

A: No. The player may not return the score made with either ball, as such scores are not made in accordance with the Rules of Golf--see Rule 7-2 of The Rules of Golf.[/quote]

I've played in two tournament handicaps and my net in the two combined is a 22.6. Started shanking all over the place and it was just a bad bad day 2x over. My handicap for the other 51 weeks for the moment is a 6. I would love to be spotted 16 shots and playing up a tee box.

Think anyone would have a problem with that?

I keep bouncing back and forth between, "What possible satisfaction could anyone have from sandbagging and then winning? I can't believe people would actually do that" and the alternative "Jeez, people kill people over minor amounts of money. Why can't you get it through your head that there's sandbagging going on out there?"

[quote name='dpark' post='1967070' date='Sep 22 2009, 10:27 PM'][quote name='joekelli' post='1966932' date='Sep 22 2009, 09:05 PM']I think it is harder to sandbag in golf but I am sure there are guys who do. I also think someone can appear to be sandbagging but in reallity they are just concentrating more when something is on the line. I know there are times when I play I am trying to do something to make myself better, like hitting driver on every par 4 and 5 just to get better. My score might be higher but its not because I wasnt trying. If I was in a tournament I might only hit my driver a handfull of times. When there is something on the line I will play a lot smarter then I normally would.[/quote]

You are a "sandbagger".

[/quote]So are you honestly saying that you've never tried a crazy "hero shot" when you don't have anything to lose?A shot that if it goes well could mean eagle or birdie but if it goes wrong will certainly make for double or worse? A shot that you might have played safe if you were in contention to win? That sounds like a boring way to play golf on a day to day basis.

I guess that makes me a sand bagger as well.

I've only ever played in gross tournaments in part or in whole because of the sand bagging issues. I really don't care what someone's net score is, especially if they beat their index by a lot. It really seems like the whole system is set up to favor the poor golfer anyway and doesn't really level the playing field unless people are actually abiding by the spirit of the rules and how often does that actually happen in a large field event?

In answer to the original post I'd like to put a little different spin on it if I may.

True sandbagging is simple evolution at work.

Most baggers can't run as fast, jump as high, swim as good, or shoot as straight, and basically cannot compete as well as they used to compared to yesterday or thirty years ago.

Self-doubt is a very powerful thing. So is the desire to win.

Therefore, they know that they "normally" cannot beat the best "heads-up" or in a scratch tournament. Close but no cigar is little consolation.

So the lust for noteriety and rewards replaces ethics and the "love of the game".

It is human nature and it will never stop.

Just a very condensed version of my .02

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

A salty old player from my club summed it up quite nicely years ago: "some guys always need to have the edge."

Sandbaggers start a tournament with a significant lead becasue their inflated handicap gives them a cushion. They typically only place out of the money if they've been "out-sandbagged" (which usually really pisses them off). It's like someone getting a significant head start in a foot race.

Some players at my club refuse to participate in any "Net" events for this very reason. Ask members at most private clubs and they will likely tell you that it is often the same players time and time again who win their net tournaments.

It's pathetic really but unavoidable. The USGA handicapping system is easily manipulated if one intends to do so.

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

[quote name='midasmulligan2000' post='1967365' date='Sep 23 2009, 06:56 AM'][quote name='dpark' post='1967070' date='Sep 23 2009, 01:27 AM'][quote name='joekelli' post='1966932' date='Sep 22 2009, 09:05 PM']I think it is harder to sandbag in golf but I am sure there are guys who do. I also think someone can appear to be sandbagging but in reallity they are just concentrating more when something is on the line. I know there are times when I play I am trying to do something to make myself better, like hitting driver on every par 4 and 5 just to get better. My score might be higher but its not because I wasnt trying. If I was in a tournament I might only hit my driver a handfull of times. When there is something on the line I will play a lot smarter then I normally would.[/quote]

You are a "sandbagger".

[/quote]

I must politely, but strongly disagree with this. What he is describing is not "sandbagging" in my opinion. In fact, what he is describing is [i]required[/i].
----------------------------------------------------------
5-1. Acceptability of Scores
Fair handicapping depends upon full and accurate information regarding a player's potential scoring ability as reflected by a complete scoring record. Every player must be responsible for returning all acceptable scores, as defined in this section. For handicap purposes, all Section 4 adjustments, including Equitable Stroke Control, must be applied to all scores including tournament scores.
---------------------------------------------------------

If you want a legitimate handicap, you must post the scores of [i]every[/i] round played on a course with a USGA course/slope rating (indeed, even partial rounds ... if you play any more that 13 holes, you must post an 18 hole round). There are exceptions to this, but the principle is that [i]all[/i] rounds should be counted ... no one should have a sandbagging handicap, [i]or[/i] a vanity handicap.

A great number of average golfers (indeed, most) - who aren't pros, and cannot spend endless hours on the range - do a [i]lot[/i] of their "practicing" while they are playing. What this guy is describing is completely normal ... hitting a driver a lot to work out some swing change, etc., etc.

When I, for instance, get a new set of irons, it usually takes me a month or two to get fully used to them. I'll try different shots with them, get a feel for what they can do. My scores sometimes go up slightly. If it so happens that I play a tournament during that period, I'll naturally go back to the clubs I'm used to. According to you, this is "sandbagging".

Another example ... there's courses I play that have "risk/reward" holes ... if I'm driving well on a particular day, I may decide to try to fly some water (for instance), while during a tournament ... I'd almost invariably lay up ("smart golf" as the fellow calls it). Am I "sandbagging"? Good grief no.

In fact, I'm not sure if I know a single (decent, experienced) golfer that doesn't concentrate a bit harder, and make more conservative course management choices during a tournament.

Amateur golf is supposed to be a sport ... i.e., [i]fun[/i]. The total purpose of playing golf is not to get a perfect handicap ... it is to have [i]fun[/i]. Sometimes one just wants to grip it and rip it. Try a low percentage shot. To go for something with high risk and high reward. It is what the average weekend is [i]made of[/i].

In fact, the USGA system [i]understands[/i] that most amateurs practice on the course ... it is why the system only uses the average of the best scores, and throws out the worst.

"Sandbagging", in my opinion, is purposely and intentionally attempting to raise one's handicap in order to gain an unfair advantage in competitions.

What this guy described is certainly not sandbagging ... in fact, what he described is keeping a handicap that is exactly in accordance with USGA rules.

There is no such thing as a "Tournament" handicap. There are rounds that you need to mark with a "T" ... this decision is actually not made by the player, but rather by the Committee that is organizing the tournament (because not every "tournament" is a tournament ... a Club Championship usually is a T, for instance, while a charity tournament in which half the field is blasted by the ninth hole ... is not).

And indeed, there are complex rules by which one's Handicap for a tournament is lowered if the player has 2 or more T-Scores in their current record. In short, the rules [i]themselves[/i] already take everything into account.

In other words, the rules themselves are set up to catch sandbaggers (doesn't mean there's not ways around the rules - but the concept is acknowledged).

Point is ... this guy has a perfectly valid - in fact, completely normal - USGA Handicap. He practices on the course sometimes (as pretty much every amateur golfer does). Takes some rounds more seriously than others. Concentrates a bit more, and plays more cnservative golf during tourneys (as pretty much every amateur also does). And he enters every score ... as the Rules [i]require[/i].
[/quote]
Forgive me for being blunt Midas, but I don't really care or listen to what you have to say anymore regarding rules after your moronic post about being able to remove OB stakes on the golf course.

Old stuff:
1962 Tommy Armour AT2W Driver   1953 Macgregor M65W EOM 3 wood   1978 H&B PowerBilt Citation 4 wood

New stuff
Cobra ZL 10.5 driver (Matrix HD6 s-flex)  Titleist TSR2 18* fairway wood (Matrix Code-8 s-flex)   Adams A2P 20* hybrid (Rombax 8D07HB s-flex)
Titleist 716 MB irons 4-PW (Apex 4 soft-stepped)    Callaway Mack Daddy wedges 52, 56, 60 (DG S200)
Odyssey ProType 9 putter

[quote name='mcmski' post='1968474' date='Sep 23 2009, 05:11 PM'][quote name='dpark' post='1967070' date='Sep 22 2009, 10:27 PM'][quote name='joekelli' post='1966932' date='Sep 22 2009, 09:05 PM']I think it is harder to sandbag in golf but I am sure there are guys who do. I also think someone can appear to be sandbagging but in reallity they are just concentrating more when something is on the line. I know there are times when I play I am trying to do something to make myself better, like hitting driver on every par 4 and 5 just to get better. My score might be higher but its not because I wasnt trying. If I was in a tournament I might only hit my driver a handfull of times. When there is something on the line I will play a lot smarter then I normally would.[/quote]

You are a "sandbagger".

[/quote]So are you honestly saying that you've never tried a crazy "hero shot" when you don't have anything to lose?A shot that if it goes well could mean eagle or birdie but if it goes wrong will certainly make for double or worse? A shot that you might have played safe if you were in contention to win? That sounds like a boring way to play golf on a day to day basis.

I guess that makes me a sand bagger as well.

I've only ever played in gross tournaments in part or in whole because of the sand bagging issues. I really don't care what someone's net score is, especially if they beat their index by a lot. It really seems like the whole system is set up to favor the poor golfer anyway and doesn't really level the playing field unless people are actually abiding by the spirit of the rules and how often does that actually happen in a large field event?
[/quote]
In general, I don't try "hero" shots, because they are just that, low-percentage shots. That said, I have tried hero shots in regular rounds and tournament rounds both, when the situation called for it.

What I read out of the post I replied to is that he did shots in regular rounds that he would never do in a tournament (or that is how I interpreted what he wrote). The question that comes to mind is how many times does he do this over the course of a round and how often in multiple rounds does he do this? ESC takes some of the higher scores out of play but if you are 4-5 handicapper and you do this 2-3 times a round and take doubles on those holes, you can raise your handicap easily up to a 8-9.

The question is why do you do those shots? Is it because you are trying to figure out if you can pull it off for when you really need to (in a tournament) or is it because you really are just goofing around but in essence you are trying to raise your handicap?

It is eerily similar to some guys I know in my club that are like 2-3 strokes over par after 15 holes, but end up going double-double-double to close. They know they can shoot 74-76 every time they go out, but they never post a score under 80. They always have an excuse for the poor finish: Oh that putt broke differently than I thought, or I topped that fairway wood etc.

I play to post my best score, with my best effort, every round. I take into account the odd of succeeding on every shot and choose accordingly. However, I also play practice rounds where I play 5-6 balls per hole in the evenings when the course is empty and obviously those I do not post. That is when I try my hero shots. But during a round of golf when I play one ball, whether there is a Coke on the line or a $25 Nassau, I play my best on every single shot. But that's just me I guess.

And I guess that is also the reason why I only play scratch events. I will play with whoever shows up for a regular round of golf, but outside of my own group of 15 guys where we know everyone's handicap inside-and-out, I never play anyone else for money. It just isn't worth the aggravation. Net events are for the birds...

Old stuff:

New stuff
Odyssey ProType 9 putter

[quote name='joekelli' post='1967598' date='Sep 23 2009, 09:14 AM'][quote name='dpark' post='1967070' date='Sep 23 2009, 01:27 AM'][quote name='joekelli' post='1966932' date='Sep 22 2009, 09:05 PM']I think it is harder to sandbag in golf but I am sure there are guys who do. I also think someone can appear to be sandbagging but in reallity they are just concentrating more when something is on the line. I know there are times when I play I am trying to do something to make myself better, like hitting driver on every par 4 and 5 just to get better. My score might be higher but its not because I wasnt trying. If I was in a tournament I might only hit my driver a handfull of times. When there is something on the line I will play a lot smarter then I normally would.[/quote]

You are a "sandbagger".

[/quote]

Just because I play smart golf when there is something on the line does not make me a sandbagger. I also do not participate in any handicap events! I play to a 3.6 index and I only keep track so I know how well I am doing. I have not played in an event in over 25 years. I am planning on getting in some tournaments next season but they will be scratch tournaments. I do the same with bowling, I do not play in any tournament that requires a handicap. I kind of have my own rule "If I cant beat you heads up then I do not deserve to win!"
[/quote]

If you don't play in handicapped events, then I have no issue at all. Play away :)

[quote name='joekelli' post='1967598' date='Sep 23 2009, 09:14 AM']I do not play in any tournament that requires a handicap. I kind of have my own rule "If I cant beat you heads up then I do not deserve to win!"[/quote]

We are 100% in agreeement here...

Old stuff:

New stuff
Odyssey ProType 9 putter

[quote name='aiki-golfer_211' post='1966843' date='Sep 22 2009, 08:15 PM']To all of you out there who are either self-proclaimed or publicly-proclaimed sandbaggers, or if you just have an opinion about sandbagging...

Why do you do it? Ever since I was young, I have grown with the unshakable idea that you should strive to do the best you can possibly do every single time. This means that when I ran cross country, swam, ran track, and participated in martial arts (while I was healthy, i am currently injured and not practicing or playing :russian_roulette: ), I would give 110% in every single endeavor I would undertake. Sandbagging seems to completely go against what I believe, so I cannot comprehend why you out there would do it. Can you please enlighten me? Thanks guys![/quote]

Cheating goes against everything I know too. My life is kept simple because my values are honor, integrity and respect; knowing right from wrong, good from bad and keeping my word. Standards that many others think to extreme.

Sandbaggers are nothing more then cheaters with deeply seated character faults. When someone cheats to win it’s because they don’t know right from wrong. IMO cheaters are just like thieves; not smart or talented enough to get what they want the old fashion way. So when they win something they also get a conciliation prize; having to regularly look in the mirror and see a loser.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17 2i° Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-PW MMT 105S
  • SM10 F52/12, T58/4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

[quote name='Scott_Utah' post='1967382' date='Sep 23 2009, 07:07 AM']In my experience this is always been the low handicapper who is sick of being beat (net) by an 18 who "goes off" and shoots an 82 that day.

Many people (that I know) will "sandbag" as they feel justified because "everyone else is doing it" and therefor they are just leveling the playing field. In some instances this might be the case, but not always. I do believe that the only realistic solution is to only consider scores from previous tournaments - omitting the index from the normal day to day rounds. While this scenario doesn't eliminate the sandbagger who enters a tournament for the first time, it does "weed out" those who make a career of cheating those of us that would like to compete on a level field.[/quote]

You actually know people that sandbag??? If true, you need new friends. When someone hangs around thieves, eventually their values will be questioned. I wouldn't give that type of person the time of day in my life.

If everyone else is doing it; toking, having affairs, divorcing, stealing and burning cars when their team wins, then can we hope the sandbagger will follow the guy that's jumping off a bridge... :D

PS. I am not referring to the guy that doesn't follow the rules of golf during casual play. I am talking about the cheaters and sleaze balls.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17 2i° Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-PW MMT 105S
  • SM10 F52/12, T58/4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX