ONESOMES....find your own friends !!!

Alright....this is starting to bug me because its starting to happen too often. What are your opinions on this?

I play a threesome frequently. Its me and two close friends. We've been playin together for years and we're not looking for a 4th.

Too often, there seems to be a ONESOME that comes up on the first tee or somewhere on the course that has the nuts to say "Hey, mind if I play with you guys"? Me and my buddies are pretty friendly guys but if we wanted to play a foursome we'd have called another friend.

I just can't see me havin the nuts to walk up to 3 strangers and asking if they care if I "horn" in on their game.

Whats with the "onesomes"? What gives them the gall to even ask?

Me and my buddies figure if a single can't find anybody to golf with....especially on the weekend.... there's probably a reason.

Anybody have any opinions on this or should we be forced to play with a stranger even though we didn't "invite" him to be a part of our group?

Keep in mind....this isn't someone from the clubhouse sending these ONESOMES out to pair up with us....its the ONESOMES themselves.

JW

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just tell him politely, that we already have a threesome... :wave:

Miura PP-9003 PW-6 iron w/SmacWrap 780 F3

Taylormade Stealth 10.5* w/KBS TD 50 Oh, and Ventus Red "made for"

Taylormade SIM 2  21 degree w/Ventus Blue

Taylormade Stealth Rescue 22* w/Ventus Blue

Callaway X-Tour raw - 52 w/DG steel

Taylormade MYMG 3 - 56 w/KBS C-Taper Lite 

Dave Whitlam Anser 

I golf with the same 4 some almost every week but, there is a total of 8 of us that always play. Most people have lives and families and our schedules don't always mix up. I play as a single a good bit but, never ask to join anyone cause I don't mind playing solo. If someone asked for me to join I more than likely would.

Nice attitude... I bet you and your buddies would be tons of fun to join up with

:rolleyes:

Ping G400 MAX 9° Motore Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec S

Mizuno ST-3 15° 3W Ventus Blue Velocore 70S

Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 19° 3H HZRDUS Smoke Black 80X
                                                  PXG 0211 XCOR2 Xtreme Dark 5-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80S
Edison 55°/59° DG 115 S200 Tour Issue
Edel EAS 4.0
Camino Sunday Bag
Titleist ProV1

There are a lot of us who like to play, and the people we know who play cannot get out alot of the times we do, so we show up at the course by ourselves. I personally dont understand your mentality. Are you so stuck on yourself and insecure with yourself that you must shut out everyone you dont know? Have you had that many bad experiences playing with someone you did not "invite" to be in your company? Perhaps it is you, and not them? I've played with a lot of different people on the course, being that I do go by myself a bunch. Thankfully, I have not run into anyone as rude as you. Most people have no problem letting someone play with them.

You could always offer to let the individual tee it up first and go through. Or, you could do the kind thing and offer to have him play along with you. Why hold up other groups by having a single between your group and a 4-some behind?

I don't see how a single would "horn in" on your round. As to you saying that there must be a "reason" for someone playing alone I think that is rather presumptuous on your part. Jeez, just let the guy play along. You don't have to become his pal.

[quote name='bigred90gt' post='1986306' date='Oct 3 2009, 10:30 PM']There are a lot of us who like to play, and the people we know who play cannot get out alot of the times we do, so we show up at the course by ourselves. I personally dont understand your mentality. Are you so stuck on yourself and insecure with yourself that you must shut out everyone you dont know? Have you had that many bad experiences playing with someone you did not "invite" to be in your company? Perhaps it is you, and not them? I've played with a lot of different people on the course, being that I do go by myself a bunch. Thankfully, I have not run into anyone as rude as you. Most people have no problem letting someone play with them.[/quote]

Once again.....I think you missed the whole point of my post.

JW

[quote name='jwknow' post='1986305' date='Oct 3 2009, 07:30 PM'][quote name='QWKDTSN' post='1986302' date='Oct 3 2009, 10:29 PM']Nice attitude... I bet you and your buddies would be tons of fun to join up with

:rolleyes:[/quote]

I think you missed the whole point in my post.

JW
[/quote]

No, I got the point... you want to play on the weekend, which is the busiest time of the week on the golf course, and you think that a single has 'gall' to ask to join up with you. It's golf.. It's a friendly game that is normally played in foursomes when the course is busy. Why are you judging them? They just want to play some golf and the easiest thing to do is join up with a threesome. It sucks trying to play as a single on the weekend. I hope you don't radiate this kind of hostility in person when someone asks to join you.

Edel EAS 4.0
Camino Sunday Bag
Titleist ProV1

[quote name='harold baines' post='1986314' date='Oct 3 2009, 10:32 PM']if you really hate strangers joining you on the course, you should show up as a 4some

you have no right to avoid people joining you if you're not a full group

I'm not sure why it's so bad to have someone join you though[/quote]

Is anyone really READING what I posted???....

JW

Yeah, we're reading it... it's just that you're mistaken in thinking we're actually going to agree with you... :lol:

Edel EAS 4.0
Camino Sunday Bag
Titleist ProV1

[quote name='jwknow' post='1986305' date='Oct 3 2009, 08:30 PM']I think you missed the whole point in my post.

JW[/quote]

Actually, I'm pretty sure you'll find yourself the odd man out on this one. I find a single who's willing and wanting to play with strangers to be much more sociable than a couple xenophobes (not you, necessarily) who only feel comfortable within the confines of their friendships. You are, afterall, the one who insists on calling them "ONESOMES" instead of the regular "singles", making particular note of their antisocial personalities (see: having gall and "there's probably a reason").

:hi:

I often play by myself because i practice 4-5 days a week, and although i don't mind playing by myself its often nice to have company to talk to. I usually tee it up with my brother atleast once a week but he hurt his back about a week ago and will be out for a while.

This week I joined up with a couple of groups and one single and we all had a good time as a matter of fact they want me to give them a call now if im going to play and have no one to play with.

Probably because im a Stud ;) on the course, but i believe this is a part of golf having that connection with others and meeting new people.

One of the guys i met who was a single, owns a 10 shoe stores and gets ecco and adidas golf shoes for free and he said if i played with him more and got to know him he would hook me up, nice for me. Also he said if we became good friends he would be willing to sponsor me on mini tours. Im 18 and he was 32 and we got along.

I have met plenty of nice people out on the course, soldiers, teaching pro's, business owners etc.

IDK where your from but here in Texas we all welcome people to join, so don't be one of those a holes.

[quote name='QWKDTSN' post='1986317' date='Oct 3 2009, 10:34 PM'][quote name='jwknow' post='1986305' date='Oct 3 2009, 07:30 PM'][quote name='QWKDTSN' post='1986302' date='Oct 3 2009, 10:29 PM']Nice attitude... I bet you and your buddies would be tons of fun to join up with

JW
[/quote]

No, I got the point... you want to play on the weekend, which is the busiest time of the week on the golf course, and you think that a single has 'gall' to ask to join up with you. It's golf.. It's a friendly game that is normally played in foursomes when the course is busy. Why are you judging them? They just want to play some golf and the easiest thing to do is join up with a threesome. It sucks trying to play as a single on the weekend. I hope you don't radiate this kind of hostility in person when someone asks to join you.
[/quote]

Wow.....that wasn't the point at all but read into it whatever you think you can get by with. GEEZ...dude...who you tryin to BS !!!

If you think we are all misunderstanding what you were trying to say, perhaps say what you mean then. Reading the OP, you are saying you are put off by someone asking to join your 3some. You cant believe they have the gall to do so, and there must be something wrong with them because they are at the course by themselves. Is this what you were intending to say in the OP? If so, you have a piss poor attitude, and I cant understand why you expect everyone here, who for the most part are gentlemen playing a gentlemen's game, to agree with you.

[quote name='beruo' post='1986331' date='Oct 3 2009, 10:42 PM'][quote name='jwknow' post='1986305' date='Oct 3 2009, 08:30 PM']I think you missed the whole point in my post.

JW[/quote]

Actually, I'm pretty sure you'll find yourself the odd man out on this one. I find a single who's willing and wanting to play with strangers to be much more sociable than a couple xenophobes (not you, necessarily) who only feel comfortable within the confines of their friendships. You are, afterall, the one who insists on calling them "ONESOMES" instead of the regular "singles", making particular note of their antisocial personalities (see: having gall and "there's probably a reason").

[/quote]

Nope....Onesomes is what we call people who play by themselves here. Its not a derogatory statement

I often golf alone (no need to ask) becuase the people I play with can't always go with me. It makes no sense to send a single out behind a threesome, or a single out in front of a threesome on a busy day - then you will be complaining about slow play.

As people mentioned, find a fourth if you want your own group. Or you could pay for the spot in your foursome if you are that against playing withsomeone else.

[quote name='jwknow' post='1986344' date='Oct 3 2009, 08:47 PM'][quote name='beruo' post='1986331' date='Oct 3 2009, 10:42 PM'][quote name='jwknow' post='1986305' date='Oct 3 2009, 08:30 PM']I think you missed the whole point in my post.

JW[/quote]

[/quote]

Nope....Onesomes is what we call people who play by themselves here. Its not a derogatory statement
[/quote]

Yeah, it's something [i]you[/i] call people who play by themselves, and you use all-caps whenever you type it out, and stereotype these people as not being able to find people to play with, but it's not derogatory. :lol:

Any questions as to whether yours was an attitude or communication problem are answered with each of your posts. Next time, don't ask for opinions if you're just wanting people to agree with you. If that's what you're wanting, go have some beers with your regular threesome. ;)

I dont see what the big deal is, joining up in a game of golf with a single. I often play with the same group (10-12 guys) but we also play or get paired up with singles sometimes, its just the way it is. I often will have a blast playing with people I dont know and create new friends that way too. When I joined my home course I didnt know anyone there, now I have 10-12 guys I can call friends. I think its the other way and the OP is the one who is unsociable, not the singles.

[quote name='jwknow' post='1986305' date='Oct 3 2009, 09:30 PM'][quote name='QWKDTSN' post='1986302' date='Oct 3 2009, 10:29 PM']Nice attitude... I bet you and your buddies would be tons of fun to join up with

JW
[/quote]

No, but I think you missed the point of his.

Driver: Adams 9015D 10.5*
3 Wood: Nike T60 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 913H 19*
Irons: Mizuno MP58
Wedges: Mizuno MP T-10 52*, 56*, 60*
Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron Circa 62

[quote name='beruo' post='1986356' date='Oct 3 2009, 10:53 PM'][quote name='jwknow' post='1986344' date='Oct 3 2009, 08:47 PM'][quote name='beruo' post='1986331' date='Oct 3 2009, 10:42 PM'][quote name='jwknow' post='1986305' date='Oct 3 2009, 08:30 PM']I think you missed the whole point in my post.

JW[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yeah, it's something [i]you[/i] call people who play by themselves, and you use all-caps whenever you type it out, and stereotype these people as not being able to find people to play with, but it's not derogatory. :lol:

Any questions as to whether yours was an attitude or communication problem are answered with each of your posts. Next time, don't ask for opinions if you're just wanting people to agree with you. If that's what you're wanting, go have some beers with your regular threesome. ;)
[/quote]

Wrong again but I got what I expected.....Lemming posts

Geez, I occasionally go out on the course as a SINGLE because my friends can't always play with me. Thankfully, I haven't run into anyone like you on the course that have shunned me for coming to the course alone. Golf is great because it's an awesome way to meet people from all walks of life.

So what's wrong with having a stranger join up with you and your buddies? You don't have to talk to them, maybe just a "nice shot" or whatever. I think this closed minded attitude gives golfers a bad name and fits the typical stereotype of being "stuck up."

Seems like pretty much everyone disagrees with you on here so far and you keep responding with, "you missed the whole point of my post" and nothing else, explain what you mean then.

[quote name='jwknow' post='1986374' date='Oct 3 2009, 08:02 PM'][quote name='beruo' post='1986356' date='Oct 3 2009, 10:53 PM'][quote name='jwknow' post='1986344' date='Oct 3 2009, 08:47 PM'][quote name='beruo' post='1986331' date='Oct 3 2009, 10:42 PM'][quote name='jwknow' post='1986305' date='Oct 3 2009, 08:30 PM']I think you missed the whole point in my post.

JW[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Wrong again but I got what I expected.....Lemming posts
[/quote]

Your title already set the tone. The last response is not going to win anyone over.

[quote name='jwknow' post='1986374' date='Oct 3 2009, 09:02 PM']Wrong again but I got what I expected.....Lemming posts[/quote]

Is it that much easier for you to write everyone else's opinion off as being wrong than to accept that you're more than a teensy bit close-minded. That you're resorting to name-calling should be indicator enough to you, but guess not. Might be a good time for a less-than-graceful exit if this is the behavior you expected anyway. Take care. :wave:

Please help us understand what you really meant. You've had 10 different people disagree and all you can say is they didn't get the point. What exactly was the point, that you alone understand and all the rest of us are missing?

[b]Driver:[/b] TaylorMade Tour Issue M3 8.9*, Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.2 Tour Spec X
[b]3 Wood:[/b] Taylormade R15 15*, Fujikura Motore F1X
[b]Hybrid:[/b] TaylorMade M1 19*, Fujikura Speeder Evo 82H X
[b]Irons:[/b] Titleist 716 AP2 4-PW , Tour Issue TT DG X100
[b]Wedges:[/b] Yururi Gekku Raw 49*, 53* & 57* Nippon NS Pro Modus3 130X
[b]Putter: [/b]Scotty Cameron Futura 6M

I tend to believe that if you don't round out your foursome, expect the unexpected. In my world...that translates to someone joining the group as a single, twosome, etc. As much as I may have liked to play with just my one or two friends, it's unrealistic to think that the phantom spot/spots will remain open at the expense of holding up the rest of the course. Whether it's a ranger looking to speed up play or it's someone that's trying to do it themselves...it just makes sense from a pace of play perspective. As far as a single joining a group for other reasons...some people are just not lucky enough to always find friends available to play. It's a gentleman's game...offer he/she the spot and hopefully you'll be pleasantly surprised with their game, personality, etc. Otherwise...fill the foursome.

[i]Alright....this is starting to bug me because its starting to happen too often. What are your opinions on this[/i]?

Seems like you've solicited the opinions of folks, but you find it difficult to accept them?

I often play as a single during the winter months, but mostly as part of a 3 in the summer and as a 3 you dont have a choice when the pro shop sends a single to join you during prime time.

As already suggested, either play as a 4 or open your mind to meeting new people who share the same love for the game as you.

BB DBD 9 Rogue

BBA 16 Rogue

XHP 18* Fubuki 415

MP-64/MP-4 4-PW Px 5.5

Bettinardi SS DASS 8

SM5 50, 54, 58 Px 5.5
B330S GHIN 6.0