ONESOMES....find your own friends !!!

[quote name='jwknow' post='1987417' date='Oct 4 2009, 07:06 PM']Well...well...well....I'm out golfin on a nice Sunday afternoon and you girls are all

sittin at your computers poundin on the ol' keyboard talkin about me. I'm touched. Glad

I could give you something to do on a nice weekend when real men are outside enjoying the

weather on the golf course.

I'm sure you've been glued to your computer screens all day waiting for the update so let

me just tell you, we won our scramble tournament with a 14 under par....won on a scorecard

playoff. We eagled....they birdied.

It's OK if you girls want to just live your lives vicariously through me since you're not

allowed out to golf on the weekends. I don't mind.

[b]We raised $5200 dollars, through tourney fees, corporate donations and sponsorships, in

this annual tournament, for the children of a gentleman who passed away 5 years ago.[/b] Goes

in a fund for their college education. I'm sure you wanted to know that too.

Wish you all could have been there but since you all play as ONESOMES....well....you know

the story.....we had no openings. BUHWAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH

This is just tooooooo easy.[/quote]

Where was this tournament played? I might have played in it.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='FATC1TY' post='1987608' date='Oct 4 2009, 09:02 PM'][quote name='atlanta golfer' post='1987600' date='Oct 4 2009, 08:56 PM']After reading and participating in this thread this morning, I couldn't believe what happened this afternoon. We have a 2 pm Sun afternoon tee time at Stone Mountain. 3 of us. I figure it will be slow. We get to the tee box and things are running on time, but all the tee times are full and there are some carts waiting to tee off. A four some tees off, then one guy gets up there to hit. I walk up and nicely say "I assume we will be playing together". He says "No, I don't think so". So our three-some and the three-some behind us are just dumbfounded. So the whole round, it is all backed up, we get done in just under 5 hours, and the whole time, we are waiting for this one guy to hit, and he is waiting on the people in front of him. Most of the time, we were pulling up to the tee box, and he was just getting ready to hit. But he insisted on playing by himself.

When we got done, I asked the pro shop if he was either someone famous, or if he bought 4 tee times, and the answer was neither. Apparently he kind of bullied his way into playing by himself, saying he was "working on his game". Hey, aren't we all? The pro shop did tell me that the head pro told them in the future, not to let this happen, if he wants to play by himself on a busy weekend, , he can buy 4 tee times. I have never seen anything like this in all my golfing life, and it just seemed odd coming on top of this thread. Guess it just goes to show, 3-somes can be rude but so can singles. Not very common, though, that is for sure.[/quote]

Lakemont course??

If he was really working on his game, he'd man up and play Stonemont... ;)

Get away from the busy courses, and I'd be happy to be the 4th.. Hahah.

I acutally had the same problem last time out there. 2 guys wanted to play alone, it was packed all the hell. We were two, they were two and insisted on not playing together, and then wanted to try and push and hit into us.. They lost 2 sleeves of ProV1's that day, and I have no idea how... We gave them to the valets at the cart drop off to return to those jack-legs with a note to show some manners.
[/quote]

Ha, I was there. 3PM tee time from Red flag Golfnow. Come here to WRX and find out ranger can't do their job. You know they used to have strict ranger there, but now it's all crap. Only play there on weekdays now. I should've went to TC Apalachee and got 27 holes in.

Almost all set for 2021

[quote name='littlepingman' post='1987685' date='Oct 4 2009, 09:45 PM'][quote name='FATC1TY' post='1987608' date='Oct 4 2009, 09:02 PM']Lakemont course??

If he was really working on his game, he'd man up and play Stonemont... ;)[/quote]

LOL...

I played the Stonemont course on Saturday. Slowest bent grass greens I've played in my life. :rolleyes:
[/quote]

You do see the smile & wink face after that sentence, right?

The Stone Mtn courses aren't worth a flip to me. The green on Stonemont are slow, and the course is so spread out it's stupid. Lakemont is crowded with weekend warriors and gets booked up so tight it's hard to enjoy the round. The greens are also destroyed..

I'd rather play with the snotty people and weed problem across 78 and play at Smoke Rise.

Better yet, I'll drive 45mins and go play at the The Lion.. Their greens are slicker than linoleum, and I can on there for under $40.

I understand the OP completely, but I am usually on the other side of this. I usually play as a ONESOME and every so often a group of three - usually the three are all friends, would come up and ask me if i want to join up.

If I wanted to play in a foursome - I would have invited three buddies. Oh the nerve of some people...thinking they could just invite themselves in on my ONESOME round!!!

I think this may be the funniest post I have read since the Cameron/Bettinardi debate.

OP: You have some serious I am too cool for school issues.
Why don't you MAN up and be a decent human being.

My "onesome" story: I was playing at Doral, and a ONESOME came up and asked if he could play along. We said for sure, ends up he was a promoter for the 3 best night clubs in South Beach. Needless to say, I went to all 3 clubs multiple times paid no cover, sat in VIP and met some pretty awesome people while drinking for free. We also had a weekly game on the Blue Monster, no big deal.

Two points:

1. Every person who has posted on this thread (including the OP) has had the "nuts" to walk up on a group of golfers and ask to join. Isn't that how we joined [u]this[/u] forum in the first place? Weren't all of us ONESOMES when we found this site? Weren't those who were already here gracious enough to ask us to join in as long as we followed a few, very liberally enforced rules and weren't too obnoxious. Speaking for myself, I'm thankful that the 20,000 or so who were here before I got here didn't slam the door so me.

2. My favorite golf book starts when a ONESOME joins a couple of strangers on a very special golf course in Scotland. The rest of the book is a [i]tour de force[/i] about the power that such chance meetings can have. Glad the twosome didn't say "take a hike. My friend and I want to play alone". Bet you can guess the name of the book is probably obvious.

[quote name='jwknow' post='1986850' date='Oct 4 2009, 10:39 AM']PILE ON GIRLS !!!!! THE MORE THE MERRIER.

Well, I guess I learned one thing from my post. Never ask a question about "Onesome Etiquette" in a group dominated with Onesomes. Sorry you all can't find friends to golf with. I feel for ya.....well.....not so much.

You girls enjoy your day at the computer. We're hosting a scramble tournament today at 1:00 PM and I've gotta go play some GOLF with my "buds". What a delicate little group this turned out to be.

Like I said.....Enjoy your day sittin behind the computer.....WE'RE GOIN GOLFIN !!! Maybe you all should ask your wife if you can go out.....nahhhhh.....not gonna happen.

BAWAHAHAAAAAAAAAA

Have a lovely day at home.

TYPE AWAY KIDS......TYPE AWAY !!!!![/quote]

Sounds like you belong over on bsg. You wear a thumbring dont you? Seriously though, We are all lucky we have not run into you on the golf course. You are a tool bag!

TM R1 w/ Fubuki Alpha Adams XTD ti 14.5 w/ red tie Adams Pnt 20* w/ Matrix Altus Nike Covert forged 4-Gw w/ Nippon SPB Betti BB54 Skull & Crossbones Vokey TVD M 54* & Scratch DW 58*

Guys, maybe we judged him too harshly.

I spent the afternoon nailing my girlfriend. I was glad that some "onesome" dude didn't ask to join in, so I'm starting to see his point of view.

Now if a "onesome" female had wanted to join in... :rolleyes:

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

I'm a huge fan of this game we all love (why else would we be on this forum, right?). I've just recently gotten back in the game after a 4+ year "break" (I'm in my mid-30s). The reason for my "break" started out because of my main golf partner moving. Then I just lost interest. Now, my nephew is on the high school JV team and we've started playing together. My point here is that after reading all of the replies to the OP, I wish I had sucked it up and marched up to the starter as a single back then. I wasn't that great back then (maybe a 10-12) but I was afraid of holding up better players by hooking on to their group or getting paired with jerks. Now I see that I was very, very wrong and that I missed out on meeting some great people because of my irrational "fear". I am still pretty stinky and trying to get my swing back but once I'm breaking 90 again I will make myself go out alone (I could play 3-4x a week if I wanted to).
This OP did *some* good, I guess by opening my eyes to the "average" golfer out there -- a nice gentleman/lady that doesn't bite! (I'm referring to the replies, not the guy that started this thread.) If anyone is in Tucson, AZ and needs a ONESOME (lol) I'm there. :yahoo:

Jeff

WITB
Taylor Made R5 9.5, stock stiff shaft
Ping i3 14degree 3wood
Adam idea 3-hybrid
Mizuno MX-25 4-GW
Callaway old school 56 forged (sand iron)
Odyssey White Hot putter
any ball that I can find
Mizuno GTX stand bag

[quote name='itsadryhot' post='1987922' date='Oct 4 2009, 11:25 PM']I'm a huge fan of this game we all love (why else would we be on this forum, right?). I've just recently gotten back in the game after a 4+ year "break" (I'm in my mid-30s). The reason for my "break" started out because of my main golf partner moving. Then I just lost interest. Now, my nephew is on the high school JV team and we've started playing together. My point here is that after reading all of the replies to the OP, I wish I had sucked it up and marched up to the starter as a single back then. I wasn't that great back then (maybe a 10-12) but I was afraid of holding up better players by hooking on to their group or getting paired with jerks. Now I see that I was very, very wrong and that I missed out on meeting some great people because of my irrational "fear". I am still pretty stinky and trying to get my swing back but once I'm breaking 90 again I will make myself go out alone (I could play 3-4x a week if I wanted to).
This OP did *some* good, I guess by opening my eyes to the "average" golfer out there -- a nice gentleman/lady that doesn't bite! (I'm referring to the replies, not the guy that started this thread.) If anyone is in Tucson, AZ and needs a ONESOME (lol) I'm there. :yahoo:

Jeff

WITB
Taylor Made R5 9.5, stock stiff shaft
Ping i3 14degree 3wood
Adam idea 3-hybrid
Mizuno MX-25 4-GW
Callaway old school 56 forged (sand iron)
Odyssey White Hot putter
any ball that I can find
Mizuno GTX stand bag[/quote]

Welcome to GolfWRX and back to the game. I'm glad you found some encouragement from this thread. While I'm sure the OP is not alone with his immature and unfriendly attitude, I certainly think he is in the minority. I've been paired up with hundreds of random golfers all over the country, and I've really only had one somewhat negative experience. But, certainly most of the time it has been enjoyable.

When I get paired up, I only really hope for two things from my new partner(s). Keeping pace and being nice. I couldn't care less if you are 'good' or not. Myself and a buddy were out playing last month and got paired up with this college kid. I'm not sure what he shot, but it was well north of 120. But, he was very nice and had no problem keeping up. I'd much rather play with a nice guy like that shooting 120+ than a scratch player with the character of our OP.

[b]Driver:[/b] TaylorMade Tour Issue M3 8.9*, Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.2 Tour Spec X
[b]3 Wood:[/b] Taylormade R15 15*, Fujikura Motore F1X
[b]Hybrid:[/b] TaylorMade M1 19*, Fujikura Speeder Evo 82H X
[b]Irons:[/b] Titleist 716 AP2 4-PW , Tour Issue TT DG X100
[b]Wedges:[/b] Yururi Gekku Raw 49*, 53* & 57* Nippon NS Pro Modus3 130X
[b]Putter: [/b]Scotty Cameron Futura 6M

[quote name='drpino' post='1987423' date='Oct 4 2009, 07:12 PM']You and "idrive" should get together. Something tells me he'd fit right into your group as your fourth.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=298983"]http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=298983[/url][/quote]

This might be the best line of the thread. "Great" minds think alike, I guess :russian_roulette:

To tell you the truth, this is one of the funniest reads I've read all week. There is only one thing I can add, through personal reflection....

I will play golf with anyone. You never know what kind of people you might meet through the game. One of my fondest memories is sometimes getting paired up with a senior, and getting to listen to his stories and wisdom. I learned quite a bit on the golf course from one gentleman in Abilene, TX ... I always pictured this guy like Harvey P ... etc. He was a straight shooter, and had a very clear outlook on life. We had many discussions about life, as well as golf, before he passed away 5 years after I met him. A few days after the funeral, I got a phone call from his wife asking me to meet her, as she had something to give me. I did, and she handed me his putter with headcover, smiled, and said "John wanted you to have this". It's an older Scotty Cameron, and I have never ... not once, hit a ball with it. But I'll own it until the day I die.

You never know who you'll meet on the course. You could make a friend, hell you might even learn something.

[quote name='rdmcdaid' post='1987681' date='Oct 4 2009, 08:44 PM'][b]I think I ran into your 3 some a month ago. I book on-line and they allow singles if space permits. I booked the day before a tee time at 630 am on a Friday morning. Drive two hours after getting up at 4am and arrive at the course with enough time to stretch, finish my coffee only to be told by the starter that the time that I reserved and pre-paid for was not available as the 3 some I was paired with showed up with a 4th even though they could not have booked the time. [/b][/quote]

I believe that starter would have been looking for another job after I had my way with the head pro. They would have either let me go out before the 4some as a single, put me with them and have us play as a 5some, put someone on standby with me and pushed the 4some back, or tell the 4some that the 4th was not playing in their group. After driving 2 hours, a refund would not suffice, and I would not wait any additional time to play.

Something funny and very apropos happened on the course today. My good friend and I played golf this morning at Crystal Springs in northern NJ. We played our front nine alone without anyone in site from first hole to last. On our 11th hole we were approached by a single to see if he could join...no problem. Two holes later, another single approaches and asks to link up. Can you imagine? The travesty...two singles inside of nine holes! I told my buddy about this thread and he thought it was somewhat ironic that we get two singles in one round asking to join us. The best part is that my friend quit after 18 while I continued on for another nine with the two singles (their front nine was our back). Nice guys, great weather here in the NE today, 27 holes...it couldn't have been a better day.

I think jwknow has gotten a little confused here. If I have the nuts to ask if you'd like to play a round of golf with me, it's me who is being put out.

I'm offering you the privilege of my company.

Believe me, I would be better off without you and your boyfriends dragging my game down. I can play quicker, better, and more efficiently without you. Oh, and if I catch up with you, and I will, that isn't an opportunity for you to "offer" a request to play through. Thats a chance for you to get out of the way, and watch an adult play golf. Then you and your boyfriends can go back to counting how many strokes you can make, umm.. on the course that is....

See, now THAT is how you write a "tongue in cheek" post.

[quote name='littlepingman' post='1987685' date='Oct 4 2009, 09:45 PM'][quote name='FATC1TY' post='1987608' date='Oct 4 2009, 09:02 PM']Lakemont course??

If he was really working on his game, he'd man up and play Stonemont... ;)[/quote]

LOL...

I played the Stonemont course on Saturday. Slowest bent grass greens I've played in my life. :rolleyes:
[/quote]

It was Stonemont, and yes the greens were pretty slow, plus, as you know, the bunkers are currently all ground under repair due to the flooding from two weeks ago - they are having them all completely redone in a couple of weeks. I had a free pass, plus it was convenient for my partners, which is the only reason I would ever go there on a weekend afternoon.

[quote name='jwknow' post='1986288' date='Oct 4 2009, 03:21 AM']Alright....this is starting to bug me because its starting to happen too often. What are your opinions on this?

I play a threesome frequently. Its me and two close friends. We've been playin together for years and we're not looking for a 4th.

Too often, there seems to be a ONESOME that comes up on the first tee or somewhere on the course that has the nuts to say "Hey, mind if I play with you guys"? Me and my buddies are pretty friendly guys but if we wanted to play a foursome we'd have called another friend.

I just can't see me havin the nuts to walk up to 3 strangers and asking if they care if I "horn" in on their game.

Whats with the "onesomes"? What gives them the gall to even ask?

Me and my buddies figure if a single can't find anybody to golf with....especially on the weekend.... there's probably a reason.

Anybody have any opinions on this or should we be forced to play with a stranger even though we didn't "invite" him to be a part of our group?

Keep in mind....this isn't someone from the clubhouse sending these ONESOMES out to pair up with us....its the ONESOMES themselves.

JW[/quote]

Best thread I've read on this site, just brilliant.

I often play golf by myself due to work commitments, I never ask to join another group, I don't have to as they nearly always ask me. This is a sport for ladies and gentlemen, by definition they will ask if you are playing on your own, those who do not ask I would rather not play with.

[quote name='jwknow' post='1986288' date='Oct 3 2009, 09:21 PM']Alright....this is starting to bug me because its starting to happen too often. What are your opinions on this?

I play a threesome frequently. Its me and two close friends. We've been playin together for years and we're not looking for a 4th.

Too often, there seems to be a ONESOME that comes up on the first tee or somewhere on the course that has the nuts to say "Hey, mind if I play with you guys"? Me and my buddies are pretty friendly guys but if we wanted to play a foursome we'd have called another friend.

I just can't see me havin the nuts to walk up to 3 strangers and asking if they care if I "horn" in on their game.

Me and my buddies figure if a single can't find anybody to golf with....especially on the weekend.... there's probably a reason.

Anybody have any opinions on this or should we be forced to play with a stranger even though we didn't "invite" him to be a part of our group?

Keep in mind....this isn't someone from the clubhouse sending these ONESOMES out to pair up with us....its the ONESOMES themselves.

JW[/quote]

As a Golf Professional and Golf Course owner I can tell you that if there is a spot open in a group and I have a single that has paid to play golf at my facility I will try a fill that empty spot. Plain and simple.
If you want to pay for the empty spot I will be more than happy to not pair a single into your group but its a simple business decision for me.

Quick little story about getting paired up.......................My wife and I were playing a very nice private golf course in Pinehurst and the starter said he was going to pair us up with another twosome....of course we said not a problem. We stroll over to the tee and there is Michael Jordan and another gentleman. Most memorable 18 holes I have ever played. The second gentleman that we were paired with turned out to be a self made multi-millionare and sponsored my wife on the Futures Tour and LPGA tour for about 5 years. Glad we didnt tell these guys we didnt want them in our group. :tease:

JWF

ALL Taylormade :)

Alright....this is starting to bug me because its starting to happen too often. What are your opinions on this?

JW

As a Golf Professional and Golf Course owner I can tell you that if there is a spot open in a group and I have a single that has paid to play golf at my facility I will try a fill that empty spot. Plain and simple.

If you want to pay for the empty spot I will be more than happy to not pair a single into your group but its a simple business decision for me.

Quick little story about getting paired up.......................My wife and I were playing a very nice private golf course in Pinehurst and the starter said he was going to pair us up with another twosome....of course we said not a problem. We stroll over to the tee and there is Michael Jordan and another gentleman. Most memorable 18 holes I have ever played. The second gentleman that we were paired with turned out to be a self made multi-millionare and sponsored my wife on the Futures Tour and LPGA tour for about 5 years. Glad we didnt tell these guys we didnt want them in our group. :tease:

JWF

similar thing happened to me earlier this year. my buddy and i were getting ready to tee off and the starter asked us if a single could join us. we said of course. it ended up being Antonio Tarver who lives nearby. Very nice guy and it was a fun day

antonio_tarver14.jpg

I've never had to ask to join up and I can't imagine that any group wouldn't want to invite me (as a onesy) into their flight. I'm filthy rich, look like a Hollywood plastic surgeon and have a crocodile skin golfbag with the newest Murano handblown glass shafts mounted on hand signed (by God himself) Nike Vr³ heads.

When me and my boys play together, we won't even use a caddy who doesn't have at least a Rolex on. What is this world of ours coming too?

JW[quote]..... Quick little story about getting paired up.......................My wife and I were playing a very nice private golf course in Pinehurst and the starter said he was going to pair us up with another twosome....of course we said not a problem. We stroll over to the tee and there is Michael Jordan and another gentleman. Most memorable 18 holes I have ever played. The second gentleman that we were paired with turned out to be a self made multi-millionare and sponsored my wife on the Futures Tour and LPGA tour for about 5 years. Glad we didnt tell these guys we didnt want them in our group. :tease:

JWF[/quote]

Great story! While nothing I've experienced is as exciting as being pared up with someone like Michael J and another rich guy, I have met some nice people by accident by paring up with strangers. Far more times it added, not detracted from the round. For example one time when we let a single join us the guy got a hole in one! The only one I've ever witnessed. Another time my son and I got paired up with another father-son and the father turned out to be a former college professor of mine that was a good guy. Another time while on vacation, me and my 14 yr old son got paired up with an 80 yr old guy. I have to admit at first I wasn't thrilled because it took him three shots to get 150 yards out, but turned out it was just first tee jitters. He turned out to be a great guy and we had a great round. My son even enjoyed the gentleman's company. Since it was our first time to this city the guy had plenty of local knowledge and was able to recommend a few great restaurants that we would have never found otherwise.

Sure sometimes we don't want to play with others, perhaps because we are working on our game or having a bad round etc... which is all fine if it's not busy. Bottom line is it's good practice to be friendly and you never know who you might meet.