2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

ONESOMES....find your own friends !!!

[quote name='jwknow' post='1986288' date='Oct 3 2009, 10:21 PM']Alright....this is starting to bug me because its starting to happen too often. What are your opinions on this?

I play a threesome frequently. Its me and two close friends. We've been playin together for years and we're not looking for a 4th.

Too often, there seems to be a ONESOME that comes up on the first tee or somewhere on the course that has the nuts to say "Hey, mind if I play with you guys"? Me and my buddies are pretty friendly guys but if we wanted to play a foursome we'd have called another friend.

I just can't see me havin the nuts to walk up to 3 strangers and asking if they care if I "horn" in on their game.

Whats with the "onesomes"? What gives them the gall to even ask?

Me and my buddies figure if a single can't find anybody to golf with....especially on the weekend.... there's probably a reason.

Anybody have any opinions on this or should we be forced to play with a stranger even though we didn't "invite" him to be a part of our group?

Keep in mind....this isn't someone from the clubhouse sending these ONESOMES out to pair up with us....its the ONESOMES themselves.

JW[/quote]

Damn, I hope I never walk up and ask to play with you guys! You sound extremely rude to me.

" What gives them the gall to even ask? " Very ungentlemenly (if thats a word) of you to get pissed about it.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='jwknow' post='1986288' date='Oct 3 2009, 10:21 PM']Too often, there seems to be a ONESOME that comes up on the first tee or somewhere on the course that has the nuts to say "Hey, mind if I play with you guys"? [b]Me and my buddies are pretty friendly guys but[/b] if we wanted to play a foursome we'd have called another friend.

JW[/quote]

JW, I'm going to tell you something that may be of great value to you. You and your buddies are NOT pretty friendly guys. You are far from it. You're kidding yourself if you think you're friendly. This is the core of the problem. If a single comes up to you and asks to join you, or "invites" himself as you like to say, please tell him that you are not friendly people, and decline. Any smart single will be very pleased to know the truth, and will appreciate playing in a group behind you rather than with people who don't want his company.

You have three realistic solutions to your problem.

1. Find a third friend and never come to the course with less than a foursome.
2. Pay the fourth greens fee even if you have only three players.
3. Grow up.

If you have three players and there's a single player there, how about inviting that person to play with you instead of waiting for the course to pair you up? Almost any course worth playing will pair that single up with you anyhow, so why not take the initiative yourself?

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

i think some singles ask to join rather than play through because they think it makes [i]them[/i] look rude to ask to play through a threesome rather than join. Like they are too good to play with you guys or etc...

regardless, when i started playing golf i had no friends who played, thankfully the majority of people i met on the course were great to play with and i met a lot of characters. If you don't want someone playing with you just tell them to play through instead. As someone who's played as a single for a couple of years, we don't like playing with stuck up threesomes either

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I only read a few replys on this post, but I'm sure I'm in "Sync" with the majority. Thank God you don't meet many people on the Golf Course with this kind of mentality. It is rare. A group like this would be shunned at my glub! :black eye:

Everything in Moderation, Keep it Simple, Less is Best
G10 Pings - D 9*, 3W 15.5*, H 18*, 4-PW, 50*, 54*, 58*
Redwood Zing
Titleist ProV1

i actually like it when a "onesome" asks to join us. we've met some really great people over the years this way. sure there have been a few d-bags here and there, but for the most part they've been great people. and i dont think its a matter of them not having any friends, some people are new in town, some people dont have any friends that play golf, some peoples schedules just dont mesh, etc... we always welcome a "onesome"

[quote name='jwknow' post='1986550' date='Oct 4 2009, 12:18 AM'][quote name='bigred90gt' post='1986520' date='Oct 4 2009, 12:54 AM'][quote name='jwknow' post='1986504' date='Oct 3 2009, 11:43 PM'][quote name='bigred90gt' post='1986487' date='Oct 4 2009, 12:31 AM'][quote name='jwknow' post='1986464' date='Oct 3 2009, 11:11 PM']Finally....someone used the "keyword" of the point that I was trying to make......INVITE !!!!!! Probably too late for that to mean anything after the "gang mentality" going on but that was the WHOLE POINT of my post.

If you're playing by yourself and come up on a THREESOME, see if they INVITE you to play along. Don't INVITE yourself to join the group. There may be a reason why they are only playing a THREESOME and if they don't INVITE you to play with them be courteous enough to not ASK to join. Pretty good chance that they will offer to let you "play through" if they aren't looking for a 4th.....like we do when we aren't looking for a FOURSOME.

That was my reason for telling people to RE-READ my post. I thought it was clear.

Ya just can't slow down the "gang mentality" once it gets started though....can ya? Go boys....GO !!!![/quote]

So, what you are saying is that you are so much better than those pathetic "onesomes", that they have to be invited to be in your company? Got it.
[/quote]

WOW....nice twist... What are you.....6 ??
[/quote]

Close, but not quite. Only off by a little over a few decades. It's not a twist, you stated that if someone is not invited into your company, that they should just remain alone. What exactly did I twist?

Just out of curiosity, how old are you? If you are in high school still, I might expect this attitude, though I would certainly hope you were raised better than that. I do vaguely remember people in high school being the "cliquey" type, and if they didnt know you, and you were not in their group of friends, they wanted nothing to do with you. I would like to think that most people grow out of that at some stage in life. If you are anything older than 16, and I almost feel sorry for you.
[/quote]

Nice try....but the YOUNG angle won't work on anybody....is that all you got???

As far as the twist....and I'm sure you will keep twisting this post too....you said, and I quote......"you are saying is that you are so much better than those pathetic "onesomes"......." Show me the QUOTE where I said that.........you can't so I'm sure your next line will be.... "yea, but that's what you meant".....right???.....twist away dude.....twist away. You're an amateur. Go play in the street.
[/quote]

Since you want to interpret everyone else's posts and complain they they are interpreting yours incorrectly, why not just answer the question that has been posed multiple times already:

If you don't want a 4th in your group, are you compensating the course for your selfishness by paying for a 4th green fee?

You aren't in charge of the course. You aren't even in charge of your group. You are a guest of the course and they are entitled to add to your group or pair you up as they see fit.

And before you bring it up, you mentioned that the course is not the ones doing it. These are people asking to join you without the consent of the course. On the course, if they catch you and you don't want them to join, it's your DUTY to allow them to play through. I've offered to add to a slow threesome when I catch them and if they don't want to play with me, they simply allow me to play through. You're right, it's etiquette and you are the one in the wrong.

Since you are asking for opinions, your responses lead me to believe that you really are a d0uchebag. If you want to play as a threesome, join a private club and make arrangements with the membership committee to have your own personal tee time. You aren't going to get that on any public venue, whether it's your local muni or Pebble Beach. The golf course is there to get as many people on the course as there are available tee times. If you don't like it, cover their lack of revenue and smile as you turn away people by saing "we paid extra so we won't have people like you join us."

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

PILE ON GIRLS !!!!! THE MORE THE MERRIER.

Well, I guess I learned one thing from my post. Never ask a question about "Onesome Etiquette" in a group dominated with Onesomes. Sorry you all can't find friends to golf with. I feel for ya.....well.....not so much.

You girls enjoy your day at the computer. We're hosting a scramble tournament today at 1:00 PM and I've gotta go play some GOLF with my "buds". What a delicate little group this turned out to be.

Like I said.....Enjoy your day sittin behind the computer.....WE'RE GOIN GOLFIN !!! Maybe you all should ask your wife if you can go out.....nahhhhh.....not gonna happen.

BAWAHAHAAAAAAAAAA

Have a lovely day at home.

TYPE AWAY KIDS......TYPE AWAY !!!!!

[quote name='jwknow' post='1986850' date='Oct 4 2009, 10:39 AM']PILE ON GIRLS !!!!! THE MORE THE MERRIER.

Well, I guess I learned one thing from my post. Never ask a question about "Onesome Etiquette" in a group dominated with Onesomes. Sorry you all can't find friends to golf with. I feel for ya.....well.....not so much.

You girls enjoy your day at the computer. We're hosting a scramble tournament today at 1:00 PM and I've gotta go play some GOLF with my "buds". What a delicate little group this turned out to be.

Like I said.....Enjoy your day sittin behind the computer.....WE'RE GOIN GOLFIN !!! Maybe you all should ask your wife if you can go out.....nahhhhh.....not gonna happen.

BAWAHAHAAAAAAAAAA

TYPE AWAY KIDS......TYPE AWAY !!!!![/quote]

When you and your two "BUDDIES" get together is it always a "THREESOME" or do you let girls play too?

[quote name='jwknow' post='1986288' date='Oct 3 2009, 10:21 PM']Alright....this is starting to bug me because its starting to happen too often. What are your opinions on this?

I play a threesome frequently. Its me and two close friends. We've been playin together for years and we're not looking for a 4th.

Too often, there seems to be a ONESOME that comes up on the first tee or somewhere on the course that has the nuts to say "Hey, mind if I play with you guys"? Me and my buddies are pretty friendly guys but if we wanted to play a foursome we'd have called another friend.

I just can't see me havin the nuts to walk up to 3 strangers and asking if they care if I "horn" in on their game.

Me and my buddies figure if a single can't find anybody to golf with....especially on the weekend.... there's probably a reason.

Anybody have any opinions on this or should we be forced to play with a stranger even though we didn't "invite" him to be a part of our group?

Keep in mind....this isn't someone from the clubhouse sending these ONESOMES out to pair up with us....its the ONESOMES themselves.

JW[/quote]

There's a really easy solution to your problem. Just get a few t-shirts (I assume you guys play in t-shirts) printed up that say, "Find your own stinkin' foursome" or something like that.

Here's another good strategy. Just don't say anything to the single that joined on with you. Just be completely rude and never even acknowledge their presence. After a few holes, they'll probably just walk back to the clubhouse or something like that. That's what I do as a single in that situation.

Here's the truth of the matter. If that single knew you felt that way, they'd avoid you like the plague. I've played a ton of golf as a single over the years, especially while I was on a long term consulting assignment out in California years ago.
Unfortunately, I played on with more than a few groups like yours. It didn't take me long to realize life is too short for that routine.

Maybe we ought to come up with a special hand sign for you. That way, when players like me approach the tee, you can just save us a lot of time by flashing your sign. Ah, I'm such a knucklehead. If you guys play golf, it's most likely that you have all your fingers. Just hold up one of those, and I'll know that my day will be much more pleasant if I find another group to join!

We have all been in your shoes before, you have a group and a stranger horns in. But you should think of it from that guys point of view. I am 24 and I work full time and I am able to play golf alot, but most of my friends are still in school and don't have time and money to play. Should I not play cause I can't fill a 4some?
That is one of the things I love about golf is making new friends. I played the best round of toughmy life with two total strangers. I am not going to not play because I can't find anyone to go with me. If you don't want a stranger in your group, just tell them nicely it shouldn't be that tough. we singles can always find a nice group to play with.

[quote name='jwknow' post='1986482' date='Oct 4 2009, 12:29 AM'][quote name='3onpar5' post='1986477' date='Oct 4 2009, 12:21 AM']Wow so in your 210 word response we were supposed to pull out the word invite? Dang i failed the test. what if you just said "nah thats ok man, why dont you just play thru."[/quote]

It's OK if you failed....I understand. It's all about reading comprehension skills. You either have it or you don't.

The word "invite" wasn't in there. Didn't think it needed to be. I thought intelligent people would be able to decipher the meaning of the whole post a little better. I guess not.
[/quote]

Which proves the point of my earlier post...

Over the years, I've had the good fortune of meeting many intelligent people in my line of work (and in golf). One of the defining characteristics of intelligence is the ability to changes one's position in light of new data or new insight. There's a lot of good data and insight in this thread. I'm confident you'll be able to decipher what I mean.

Rather than lock this thread, I vote to leave it open. Then it might serve as a reminder to would-be offending dbags and slap them in the face before they become any semblance of this guy.

I gotta give you props on your efforts in trolling, even though it was all in vain. Not too many people have the nuts to try that here.

TROLLING.jpg

I'm in my 50s and have been playing a few years. I have a nice demeanor, am respectful of my fellow golfers, and am out there to enjoy the day. As a single I'll go up to the tee box and won't invite myself to join a two or threesome. I feel if they lack the etiquette to ask me to join up with them I probably wouldn't want to play with them anyway.

If I'm in a two or threesome I will always ask a single to join. For example, I invited a gentleman well into his 80s to join us. He hit the ball about 130 but he was having fun and he was a very nice gentleman. He used to be in the specialized sporting goods business and had a lot of funny stories to tell about Lee Trevino. I invite women to join as well. Hey, we all love the game, we are out there to have some fun. I met one lady who does some kind of biomechanical thing and she has worked with Fred Couples and Camillo Villegas (I looked her up on the internet after the round and yep, there she was).

But none of that matters. It's just the right thing to do.

Rather than lock this thread, I vote to leave it open. Then it might serve as a reminder to would-be offending dbags and slap them in the face before they become any semblance of this guy.

I gotta give you props on your efforts in trolling, even though it was all in vain. Not too many people have the nuts to try that here.

TROLLING.jpg

i agree. i dont understand why some people start with the "mods please lock this thread" posts when they are so entertaining to read (only one so far i think). the OP just keeps making himself look worse everytime he posts. why not let him continue to do so? its friggin hilarious. i mean, yes, i can understand why the mods lock these threads, i just dont understand why some members want them locked. these are some entertaining threads to read, hehe

TROLLING.jpg

i agree. i dont understand why some people start with the "mods please lock this thread" posts when they are so entertaining to read (only one so far i think). the OP just keeps making himself look worse everytime he posts. why not let him continue to do so? its friggin hilarious. i mean, yes, i can understand why the mods lock these threads, i just dont understand why some members want them locked. these are some entertaining threads to read, hehe

YUP! Agreed! This is like tying a string on your finger as a reminder. You don't want to travel down "Life's Path" emulating this guy!! :clapping:

Redwood Zing
Titleist ProV1

[quote name='JASONR5' post='1986867' date='Oct 4 2009, 08:02 AM'][quote name='jwknow' post='1986850' date='Oct 4 2009, 10:39 AM']PILE ON GIRLS !!!!! THE MORE THE MERRIER.

BAWAHAHAAAAAAAAAA

When you and your two "BUDDIES" get together is it always a "THREESOME" or do you let girls play too?
[/quote]
I am guessing the OP hasn't hit puberty yet so I doubt girls are welcome.

Maybe ten percent of my rounds, I will play as a single. On vacation with the wife, in the off season, or sometimes when my other golfing buddies are just committed to other things, or maybe I get some unexpected free time to play on short notice. I honestly don't care if I play the entire round as a single, or if I get matched up with others. Almost always, it is the starter or pro shop that does this. Just depends on how busy the place is. It makes no sense to have a busy course strung out with singles, twosomes, and threesomes, while everyone waits on every tee and plays a 5 hour plus round.

One thing I have noticed - most of the time a player coming on as a single is going to be a better golfer than the group he gets paired up with. Because most people don't play as a single unless they are serious about the game.

[quote name='JASONR5' post='1986867' date='Oct 4 2009, 11:02 AM'][quote name='jwknow' post='1986850' date='Oct 4 2009, 10:39 AM']PILE ON GIRLS !!!!! THE MORE THE MERRIER.

BAWAHAHAAAAAAAAAA

[/quote]

haha

nothing like a guy who insults people, then defends himself by saying the original comments were "tongue in cheek", then when is disagreed with further, repeats his earlier insults which were supposedly "tongue in cheek" and puts the cherry on top of it all by taking shots at all us "friendless" online forum members on a thread which he himself started in said online forum

sometimes LOL is an understatement...thread of the year

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

[quote name='jwknow' post='1986850' date='Oct 4 2009, 10:39 AM']PILE ON GIRLS !!!!! THE MORE THE MERRIER.

BAWAHAHAAAAAAAAAA

I think I fed the troll....my mistake.

I always try to use a sensible benchmark for posts on the internet. I ask, "What would my supervisor at work think about this?".

Because, the reality of modern life is that people are often fooled by the "anonymous" nature of a board like this. They think "this will never come back to bite me."

[quote name='atlanta golfer' post='1986918' date='Oct 4 2009, 11:44 AM'].

One thing I have noticed - most of the time a player coming on as a single is going to be a better golfer than the group he gets paired up with. Because most people don't play as a single unless they are serious about the game.[/quote]

Bravo!! You have made an EXCELLENT point here. You are "DEAD ON" correct:

Redwood Zing
Titleist ProV1

Where in Ohio do you play? Let me know so I don't dare ask to play along with your little group. Just let me play through. Maybe you could learn something as you watch me tee off.

And OMG!!! I am so jealous that you get to play golf today!!! And in a scramble too? Ohhh boy!!!!

I played 36 holes yesterday. As a single.

You are cool.

[quote name='MtlJeff' post='1986768' date='Oct 4 2009, 08:31 AM']i think some singles ask to join rather than play through because they think it makes [i]them[/i] look rude to ask to play through a threesome rather than join. Like they are too good to play with you guys or etc...[/quote]

I dont ask to play through as a single most times, especially on a busy weekend, because then where would I go? If the course is solid with 4somes in front, playing through the 3some is just going to put me behind a 4some. Plus, I, unlike the OP, AM a friendly guy, and always enjoy the company on the course. I will have the gall, and have on many occasions, to ask if I can join the group. To date, I have never encountered anyone with the attitude of the OP.