2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Titleist and Geoff Ogilvy - THREADS MERGED

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Linglis11' post='2156622' date='Jan 2 2010, 04:44 PM'][post="0"]On the titleist website geoff is now down as a staff player although he is still playing with a titleist fairway, wedges and scotty putter, as i know of same as he did when he was a cobra player. Would this then prove cobra is removing presence from the tour?.[/post][/quote]

Ogilvy was signed to Titleist back in October, and will be playing Titleist irons next year. Cobra is reducing its tour presence next season, but there are several players still under contract for 2010 like Holmes and Villegas. These players will either be signed to Titleist or will be looking for new equipment if Acushnet doesn't choose to re-sign them in 2011.

Cobra will not have separate tour equipment vans and will share the Titleist vans with all Acushnet pros.

This has nothing to do with cobra doing well on tour or not, it simply has to do with money that the acushnet company is willing to dish out.

I've heard crazy rumors, but the acushnet company has been cutting back left and right. They cut back on there tour reps and they are sponsoring less players, these are facts.

I've even heard that product lines will drasticly be reduced.

[quote name='dmonaco19' post='2157927' date='Jan 3 2010, 09:18 AM']This has nothing to do with cobra doing well on tour or not, it simply has to do with money that the acushnet company is willing to dish out.

I've heard crazy rumors, but the acushnet company has been cutting back left and right. They cut back on there tour reps and they are sponsoring less players, these are facts.

I've even heard that product lines will drasticly be reduced.[/quote]

So are we to expect Titleist to drop some of their club models?

[quote name='Eternal_Envoy' post='2158298' date='Jan 3 2010, 01:22 PM'][quote name='dmonaco19' post='2157927' date='Jan 3 2010, 09:18 AM']This has nothing to do with cobra doing well on tour or not, it simply has to do with money that the acushnet company is willing to dish out.

[/quote]

From what I understand yes! I heard maybe as drastic as producing only balls, wedges, and putters in the future.

dmonaco19, where did you get your info from?

I'm not challenging what you're saying, and I'm not asking for a specific name, but is your source credible?

What you're saying equates to (at some point) no Titleist drivers, woods, or iron sets. Would that mean that Cobra becomes the 'club' division?

I think that is earth shaking, if true.

Driver #1: TM Aeroburner TP 10.5 °
Driver #2 TM Aeroburner TP Mini 14°
5W: TM Aeroburner TP 18°
Hybrid: TM Aeroburner TP 19°
Irons: TM Tour Preferred CB 4 - AW
Wedge: TM Tour Preferred 56° ATV
Putter#1: Scotty Cameron Button Back Newport Two
Putter#2: Scotty Cameron California Sea Mist Fastback 1/500
Putter#3: Scotty Cameron California Hollywood
Sun Mountain C-130 Red, White & Blue
Handicap 27.1

A recent Golf World article in the UK, written by Ogilvy himself, had him on recod as replacing all his clubs other than his (already Titleist) wedges and putter(s) for the '10 season. From what I remember, the last Titleist Fairway wood he played prior to this change was a 906F2 perhaps three years ago. He didn't reveal which models had been tipped the nod, but is apparently planning on a 14 club and ball deal to match his Titleist bag.

According to the rumours, Acushnet are vastly scaling back the PGA Tour exposure of the Cobra brand by chopping the vast majority (or all) of their official sponsorship deals with players. Many will move to Titleist deals, like Ogilvy, and others will migrate elsewhere when their contracts reach a natural end point over the next year or so.

From what I gather, Titleist sponsorships will continue, both for ball usage and for club contracts on the major professional tours, but like anything else in the golf industry they're not bombproof and are affected by the depressed economic situation. The word is that Acushnet are focussing on the Titleist brand in terms of tour exposure and whilst not abandoning the Cobra brand by any means, that particular brand name will feature less in their on-tour marketing campaigns.

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Anser 2

[quote name='dmonaco19' post='2158496' date='Jan 3 2010, 02:40 PM'][quote name='Eternal_Envoy' post='2158298' date='Jan 3 2010, 01:22 PM'][quote name='dmonaco19' post='2157927' date='Jan 3 2010, 09:18 AM']This has nothing to do with cobra doing well on tour or not, it simply has to do with money that the acushnet company is willing to dish out.

[/quote]

From what I understand yes! I heard maybe as drastic as producing only balls, wedges, and putters in the future.
[/quote]

No way. Surely Acushnet isn't THAT stupid.

My source is very good or I wouldn't have written anything. [b]Like I said, they are considering, I didn't say they were going to[/b]. It's a pure business decision. Fortune brand isn't going to keep producing something if it doesn't make money, doesn't matter if it's a good product or not. I used to be a huge Titleist supporter and about 3 or 4 years ago they started cuttin back. In return the service wasn't quite the same and I'm sure other pros feel the same way.

I am not a titleist insider, I am just writing what I heard and passing it along. Let's face it though, the golf business is not what it used to be, there are a lot a businesses that are hurting. The Mom and pop golf stores are harder to find, golf courses are shutting down left and right, private courses are going public, etc.

What I've heard also makes sense to me. Golfers replace balls, wedges, and putters more frequently than anything else.

I want to add one more thing, I'm going down and looking at everyone's bag. I see all older Titleist gear, it was the same for me. Titleist sticks with clean traditional looks, I mean what more can they do? I'm not an engineer, but unless some other light weight material, which is affordable, is introduced than how can they make the club any better or move the MOI.

Listen, I didn't mean to upset anybody, and this might never even happen, I just think it would be interesting to talk about and I thought this forum title was suitable to do it in.

[quote name='dmonaco19' post='2158666' date='Jan 3 2010, 04:10 PM']I want to add one more thing, I'm going down and looking at everyone's bag. I see all older Titleist gear, it was the same for me. Titleist sticks with clean traditional looks, I mean what more can they do? I'm not an engineer, but unless some other light weight material, which is affordable, is introduced than how can they make the club any better or move the MOI.

Listen, I didn't mean to upset anybody, and this might never even happen, I just think it would be interesting to talk about and I thought this forum title was suitable to do it in.[/quote]
No, that's perfectly fine and reasonable. Its just kind of scary to think that they are even remotely considering such a cut back that would possibly ruin their reputation. They might have had some bad woods, but most have been really good, and they had a great bounce-back from the 907 with the highly-acclaimed 909 line. Plus the new irons look great, especially the apparent improvement with the MB and CB since the AP line has always been well liked. With such a tough economy still, despite some promising progress so far, it's likely they could do this, but i'm not saying it's most likely going to happen. I'm also sad to see Cobra's tour presence cut back heavily for the same reason- it makes me want to go get fit for one of the S9-1 Pro models ;) Seriously, this is a problem that needed to be addressed, so I guess we will have to accept this- golf is not immune to economic strife, yet the WRX'ers on here still ahve awesome equipment :lol:

**testing several drivers right now** 😉
Adams XTD Ti Fairway Woods, 15* and 18* with **testing** X-Stiff Shafts
Adams XTD Ti Hybrid, 20* (set to 21*) with **testing** X-Stiff Hybrid Shaft
Adams CMB Irons, 4-PW with KBS Tour FLT Black 120 Stiff Shafts
TaylorMade Milled Grind Wedges, 52-12* (bent to 54*) and 58-12* (bent to 60*) with KBS Tour 125 Black Wedge Shafts

Odyssey O-Works Black #7 Tank, 36" with SuperStroke Mid Slim 2.0 CounterCore Grip

backup: STX Sync Series 8 Putter (Red Face Insert), 35" with SuperStroke Mid Slim 2.0 CounterCore Grip

[quote name='PabloDiablo14' post='2158712' date='Jan 3 2010, 03:35 PM']Its just kind of scary to think that they are even remotely considering such a cut back that would possibly ruin their reputation....[/quote]

The only reputations that will be ruined are those posting this rubbish and passing on completely unsubstantiated rumor..

KC

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

[quote name='kevcarter ' post='2158732' date='Jan 3 2010, 04:43 PM'][quote name='PabloDiablo14' post='2158712' date='Jan 3 2010, 03:35 PM']Its just kind of scary to think that they are even remotely considering such a cut back that would possibly ruin their reputation....[/quote]

The only reputations that will be ruined are those posting this rubbish and passing on completely unsubstantiated rumor..

KC
[/quote]

I am with you Kevin. I am not necessarily calling out dmonaco or anything but I have to believe whoever told him that is full of it. I can't see any way Titleist will stop making irons and woods unless they just call it quits all together and go bankrupt. Just more crazy crazy rumors. Maybe this came from a guy at IMG that knows Steinberg too, haha.

[quote name='Redman' post='2159346' date='Jan 3 2010, 08:05 PM'][quote name='kevcarter ' post='2158732' date='Jan 3 2010, 04:43 PM'][quote name='PabloDiablo14' post='2158712' date='Jan 3 2010, 03:35 PM']Its just kind of scary to think that they are even remotely considering such a cut back that would possibly ruin their reputation....[/quote]

KC
[/quote]

I am with you Kevin. I am not necessarily calling out dmonaco or anything but I have to believe whoever told him that is full of it. I can't see any way Titleist will stop making irons and woods unless they just call it quits all together and go bankrupt. Just more crazy crazy rumors. Maybe this came from a guy at IMG that knows Steinberg too, haha.

[/quote]

I'm not saying the guy is right but if I had told you 2 months ago that TW had a dozen babes on the side you would have called me crazy too. And, well, we all know how that's going. Companies are going to shed what is not profitable, period. It might seem inconceivable to us but we are using emotions to try and decipher these actions whilst they are going by hard numbers. There is no emotion tied up in it for them; not profitable, cut it.

[quote name='dmonaco19' post='2158496' date='Jan 3 2010, 02:40 PM'][quote name='Eternal_Envoy' post='2158298' date='Jan 3 2010, 01:22 PM'][quote name='dmonaco19' post='2157927' date='Jan 3 2010, 09:18 AM']This has nothing to do with cobra doing well on tour or not, it simply has to do with money that the acushnet company is willing to dish out.

[/quote]'

Two thoughts came to me after reading this post:

1. What would all the OCD one brand baggers do? :russian_roulette::russian_roulette::russian_roulette:
2. It would be turning back the clock to the mid/late nineties whan many players were hitting:
Cally woods
Mizuno Irons
Vokey wedges
Cameron putters
Titleist balls.

[/quote]

Titleist Tsr2 9*

TaylorMade BRNR Mini 13.5*

PXG 0311 XF Gen 5 16*

PXG 0317X Gen 4 20.5*

Ping i210 5-P (26*-45*)

Ping iE1 50*

Ping Glide 3.0 54*/58*

Ping Fetch

[quote name='elrey23' post='2159364' date='Jan 3 2010, 09:12 PM'][quote name='Redman' post='2159346' date='Jan 3 2010, 08:05 PM'][quote name='kevcarter ' post='2158732' date='Jan 3 2010, 04:43 PM'][quote name='PabloDiablo14' post='2158712' date='Jan 3 2010, 03:35 PM']Its just kind of scary to think that they are even remotely considering such a cut back that would possibly ruin their reputation....[/quote]

KC
[/quote]

[/quote]

I'm not saying the guy is right but if I had told you 2 months ago that TW had a dozen babes on the side you would have called me crazy too. And, well, we all know how that's going. Companies are going to shed what is not profitable, period. It might seem inconceivable to us but we are using emotions to try and decipher these actions whilst they are going by hard numbers. There is no emotion tied up in it for them; not profitable, cut it.
[/quote]

I can see Titleist doing this and making more money as a company than they are now. Ask any Titleist rep, they are a golf ball company first and foremost that also makes clubs. Same as Bridgestone (and I love their product). Titleist does have a very loyal following for their clubs that will not switch, but it is not a large number of followers.

I can tell you from a retail standpoint, their balls and gloves do great business...their clubs do mediocre at best (outside of wedges and putters).

TM Sim2 w/ Tensei CK White

TM Sim2 Titanium 15* w/ Diamana Kai'li
TM Sim2 3h w/ AXIVCore Green
TM P790 4i w/ HZRDUS Smoke
TM P7MC 5 - 8 w/ Project X LZ

TM P7MB 9 - PW w/ Project X LZ
TM MG 50 and 55 w/ Project X LZ

TM MG Hi-Toe 60 w/ Project X LZ
TM TP Balboa
TM TP5x Yellow

Geoff Ogilvy will be a Titleist Brand Ambassador in 2010 and play a full bag of Titleist equipment from tee-to-green. He will be defending his SBS Championship this week and his equipment will be posted on titleist.com by Friday.

In addition to Ogilvy, new Titleist Full Product Line players on the PGA Tour include veteran Bo Van Pelt and young guns Michael Sim, Rickie Fowler, Troy Merritt, Matt Jones, Martin Flores, Brendan DeJonge, Graham Delaet, David Lutterus and Cameron Tringale, all of whom earned 2010 Tour cards through their Nationwide Tour or Q-School performances.

KJ Choi has also switched to the Titleist golf ball for 2010.

In fact, the Titleist golf club product line has never been stronger with the success of the 909 metals, new AP, MB and CB irons, Vokey Design wedges and Scotty Cameron putters.

[quote name='Titleist Golf' post='2160224' date='Jan 4 2010, 10:08 AM']Geoff Ogilvy will be a Titleist Brand Ambassador in 2010 and play a full bag of Titleist equipment from tee-to-green. He will be defending his SBS Championship this week and his equipment will be posted on titleist.com by Friday.

In addition to Ogilvy, new Titleist Full Product Line players on the PGA Tour include veteran Bo Van Pelt and young guns Michael Sim, Rickie Fowler, Troy Merritt, Matt Jones, Martin Flores, Brendan DeJonge, Graham Delaet, David Lutterus and Cameron Tringale, all of whom earned 2010 Tour cards through their Nationwide Tour or Q-School performances.

KJ Choi has also switched to the Titleist golf ball for 2010.

In fact, the Titleist golf club product line has never been stronger with the success of the 909 metals, new AP, MB and CB irons, Vokey Design wedges and Scotty Cameron putters.[/quote]

Thank You.

I think some of the posts in this thread are coming from the same tabloids that they are getting their Tiger information from. :lol:

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again