2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Reading a new book (Extraordinary Golf) and am stunned!

Scottk

It's not necessary to actually let go of the club. Just making the motion with the intention of throwing the club (forget "golf swing") will work wonders.

I used this drill with a co worker / occasional-once-a-month-golfer, a few years ago. We were on our way to a golf game, and stopped at the range for a warmup. I'd never seen his swing before.

After his first few swings (average athletic ability), it was one of the most restricted UN-athletic motions I'd ever seen. His drives were weak slices going ~150-160 yards.

I had him do a combination of the throw-the-club (without actually letting go), and the "happy-gilmore" (half-step-walk-into-the-swing) swing, for about ten minutes.

Believe it or not, in ten minutes his swing dramatically changed for the better. 20-40 yards longer, and greatly straightened out ball flight.

Probably one of the reasons being that he played so rarely he had zero pre-conceived swing thoughts to mess him up.

We went to the course, and he kept focusing on the drill / using it as his practice swing.

On the 16th hole, no b.s. the same guy with the "half-swing-no-weight-shift-chop-160-yard-slice" swing at the range, "unloaded" with a drive that was well struck, and went ~275 !!!!!

The throw-the-club motion is a great "meta" instruction, ala Tim Gallwey's "Inner Game of Golf" swing "meta-keys".

It is also similar to the very-old days / pre cameras etc, where caddies and players learned by just imitating other players, and swinging freely the club "in a circle" "at dandelions" etc.

Non "technical" teachers like Bob Toski, Dean Reinmuth, along with Shoemaker and Gallwey, seem to be the exception rather than the rule these days, which is a pity for the average (and even better golfers).

One of the best golf books ever written.

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

Mental game books alone--with no instruction whatsoever--took me from a bad 2-handicap to a +2 to +3.5 tournament am in just a couple years.

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

• 5 months later...

It depends on who your Teacher is regarding "fundamental" changes to one's swing requiring "technical" approach-

I've done this twice over 48 years and never had to the suffer through a "technical" approach

If you had Pete Snead, Bob Toski, Davis Love Jr. or Fred Shoemaker, you never had to endure "technical," lol

Oh yea, for those wondering what it's like to compete at Plus, file Obe's post away and when you're tired of messing around, chopping around and frustrating yourself, give it a go!!

It'll do wonders for your game?️

Excellent book BTW!!

Stay well BroMeisters?

Fairways & Greens 4ever

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Mental game books alone--with no instruction whatsoever--took me from a bad 2-handicap to a +2 to +3.5 tournament am in just a couple years.

Which ones would you recommend?

Driver, 3W, 4W - Macgregor Custom Tourney
2-10 - 1954 Spalding Synchro Dyned
SW - Wilson Staff
Putter - Bullseye
Ball - Pro Plus

YT Channel - [url="https://www.youtube.com/PlayVintageGolf"]https://www.youtube....PlayVintageGolf[/url]

One of the main points of Fred's book, although by no means the only one, is that the old club-throwing drills activates a natural athletic throwing motion that can be used as a holistic means to a better golf swing.

Its a great drill for folks who are suffering from paralysis from over-analysis.

I prefer to use baseball bats though in my golf schools, especially the heavier wooden bats, they activate the core and other essential Pivot muscles better than a lightweight golf club.

Both times I attempted this in my life, even though I attempted to throw the club at my target, it ended up going way left. To throw at the target I had to work on it a few times to get the feel correct and then it felt so weird to be swinging that far out. I abandoned it after few minutes as I was really hooking my irons with that new feel. Would be a great drill for beginners suffering from a slice.

Taylormade R11 9° Diamana™ S 62
Sub 70 639-CB 4-PW, KBS Tour 120 S
Wilson FG PMP wedges 52° & 56°, DG S400

Star Sidewinder Black grips - standard + 2 wraps
Tommy Armour Impact #3 Putter 34"
Callaway Chrome Soft golf balls

Over in the camp of Shawn Clement, the throwing the club analogy and actually doing so as a drill has been one of his staples since he began his You Tube Channel a decade ago.

I recently enjoyed a half-day clinic with him, and brought a box of old irons from the garage for him to demo the action and have me plus another student to try. We both seemed to improve our ball flights post our throws.

One of many he has posted:

BAG ONE:                                                                                                   BAG TWO:
D - Callaway Rogue ST Max D                                               - Cobra F9 Tour Length  

5 -  Ping G425 Max 5(16.5)                                                    3 -  TEE C721 Pro 3 HL(16.5)

H - Callaway Mav P (18) Titleist TS2 (21)                              H - TM SF 2.0 (18) & (21)

I -  Titleist T300 4                                                                   I -  Taylormade SIM Max 4      
I -  Titleist T100 5-P/MR KK TiNi 105                                     I -  Taylormade P760 5-P/Recoils 110 F4

W - Vokey SM8 52, Vokey SM6 58                                        W - Vokey SM8 52, Vokey SM6 58 
P - Bellum Winmore Midi  787                                                - Guerin TS Black 370

The brain is not a muscle. It is composed of neurons, connective tissue and vascular tissue. The nervous system activates the muscles and controls their actions.

I bet you say that to all the guys.

You took the words right out of my mouth

Cleveland XL Classic Driver
TaylorMade RBZ Stage2 Strong 3 Wood
Ping G15 4 Wood
Adams Super S 3H Hybrid
Adams Idea Black CB3 Irons 4-PW
Ping Tour S 52 and 58
Yes Tracy Putter / McGregor Bobby Grace M1 Putter

Word of caution to those who are going to want to try this drill - be sure you are clear of trees. As one of the posters noted above - the first few times you try this, it will want to go left on you, alot. I miss the nine iron I used the first time I tried this drill - keep hoping the wind will blow it out of the branches very high up that I can't reach to retrieve it!

• 2 years later...

Read the book. Still perplexed. Maybe I am looking for something that is not there. Surely to goodness the answer to getting more consistent with ball striking is not "throw more clubs." I ahd the luxury of a wide open fairway yesterday afternoon and gave my 9I a pitch.

I think I have the feel of the ball just being in the way of the swing. I have seen my swing on camera a few times and I am not sure how to go about getting a feel for the blind spots to connect the dots as the book suggests. How do you do that? How can you do that on your own or do you have to seek a ~~teacher~~ coach who has this mentality/teaching style?

Nothing? No one?

I am starting to think that thinking less is not the path forward for me. I have had two terrible range sessions since trying to implement these [lack of] swing thoughts.

I can knock the 100 yard pole on the range down consistently. Just to test myself to ensure I wasn't just grooving a swing for that distance I started alternating that distance with a 30 yard pitch. I would go full height 100 yard shot, 30 yard spinner, 100 yard knock down/punch spinner, 30 yard spinner and just keep repeating that with a whole bucket to really stress and test my form and feel for those distances. No issues there. But when I start working up through the bag is where the inconsistent ball striking begins to creep in. Lots of push fades or a 5 yard draw. Without really any control of what flight I will get. The overall dispersion is only about 30 yards for a 150 yard shot but that is just not good enough IMO for what I am capable of at 100. Especially without being able to consistently keep the flight consistent. (I know I said consistent a bunch there.) I'll hit five with a nice fade, then push one then draw one the opposite way. The double cross is what is driving the dispersion, aiming for a fade then hitting the draw.