2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Man...This Has Been A Tough Winter

MrParr1Noid

Winter is but half over...and
The older I get, the tougher the winters seem to be getting... Really, they seem to be getting colder, with more snow, they seem to have no end.

I have scrapped my walking, there isn't any golf, and my get up and go, has got up and went. What does everyone do to keep from completely falling apart during these times?

Well at least my fingers are in shape...laugh.gif I can burbur putt with the best of them but not sure how this will carry over to bent..biggrin.gif

Miura PP-9003 PW-6 iron w/SmacWrap 780 F3

Taylormade Stealth 10.5* w/KBS TD 50 Oh, and Ventus Red "made for"

Taylormade SIM 2  21 degree w/Ventus Blue

Taylormade Stealth Rescue 22* w/Ventus Blue

Callaway X-Tour raw - 52 w/DG steel

Taylormade MYMG 3 - 56 w/KBS C-Taper Lite 

Dave Whitlam Anser 

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been sitting here all morning, clicking my heels together in my new red golf shoes...BUT... I Forgot..Smitty told me it was COLD In Kansas TOO.. laugh.gif

Dave Whitlam Anser 

Well don't forget we have global warming. It can't be that tuff a winter. LOL...Here in Md we were lucky . I played well into Dec. sometimes in shorts till a big Dec. storm hit. I can't remember it being that mild in Dec. before. Well now things are worse. I stayed in shape shoveling 30 " of snow and then another 10" a few days later..I much preferred doing that then going to the Golf show at Dulles. I think that was the final bummer for me this winter. On the bright side I figure in another two to three weeks I will be back out there playing again.
As far as exercise goes. I use the Total Gym for light work outs. My daughter got the Wii for Xmas. Fantastic for getting some exercise. I play golf ,tennis, ping pong and bowling on the Wii. I was surprised how sore I was after a day of playing Wii.
Hang in there...It won't be long now..

This November I did something smart. I put away my clubs, bought a golf-specific stretching/strength training book, and focused my golf impulses into using it.

I've gotten so much more flexible I almost can't believe it. While I haven't hit a ball since November, and certainly don't know if the workouts will really help my game, I'll admit to having very, very high hopes.

In any case, picking up the book already served the purpose of getting me out of my "no golf funk". So it's a win no matter what happens on the course.

There's still plenty of cold weather ahead -- not too late to show up on the first tee this spring in better shape that you were on the 18th green the last time you played!

[quote name='InTheHole' date='16 February 2010 - 02:22 PM' timestamp='1266348146' post='2255734']
[quote name='Sawgrass' date='16 February 2010 - 12:31 PM' timestamp='1266341496' post='2255456']
I put away my clubs, bought a golf-specific stretching/strength training book, and focused my golf impulses into using it.
[/quote]

Not to thread-jack, but what book did you get?
[/quote]

Bump curious as well

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

[quote name='J13' date='16 February 2010 - 02:29 PM' timestamp='1266348553' post='2255742']
[quote name='InTheHole' date='16 February 2010 - 02:22 PM' timestamp='1266348146' post='2255734']
[quote name='Sawgrass' date='16 February 2010 - 12:31 PM' timestamp='1266341496' post='2255456']
I put away my clubs, bought a golf-specific stretching/strength training book, and focused my golf impulses into using it.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Bump curious as well
[/quote]

The book is titled, [i]Get Yourself in Golf Shape: Year-Round Drills to Build a Strong Flexible Swing[/i] by Cindy Reid

I am no fitness maven. I've never even done any stretching before in my life, (incorrectly) believing that exersize had to be agressive to be worthwhile. So I have no idea whether this particular book is the best one out there. But the fact that Vijay wrote the forward made me believe that Cindy knows how to get an "old guy" where he needs to be.

What the book does have, and which I value, is an eleven-day program where you do what she says to do each day and then start over again. I just wanted to follow directions, I didn't want to have to "learn" this type of fitness. It also enables you to start slow and not injure yourself.

The book has many types of exersizes and stretches that you can do with virtually no equipment, but a few where the weight machine I have in my basement helped.

Like I said, while I believe that this is going to be very beneficial to my golf (surprisingly, beyond stretching, some of the swing drills really impressed me), I don't really know if it will show up on the course. I do know that I almost don't care if it helps my game, because I'm feeling really good, and I'm making it through the winter with visions of pars in my head.

I'm 59 if that seems relevant to anyone. (But now I'm a 59 year old who can touch his knuckles to the floor without bending his knees.)

[quote name='Sawgrass' date='16 February 2010 - 03:00 PM' timestamp='1266350435' post='2255827']
[quote name='J13' date='16 February 2010 - 02:29 PM' timestamp='1266348553' post='2255742']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Bump curious as well
[/quote]

The book is titled, [i]Get Yourself in Golf Shape: Year-Round Drills to Build a Strong Flexible Swing[/i] by Cindy Reid

I am no fitness maven. I've never even done any stretching before in my life, (incorrectly) believing that exersize had to be agressive to be worthwhile. So I have no idea whether this particular book is the best one out there. But the fact that Vijay wrote the forward made me believe that Cindy knows how to get an "old guy" where he needs to be.

What the book does have, and which I value, is an eleven-day program where you do what she says to do each day and then start over again. I just wanted to follow directions, I didn't want to have to "learn" this type of fitness. It also enables you to start slow and not injure yourself.

The book has many types of exersizes and stretches that you can do with virtually no equipment, but a few where the weight machine I have in my basement helped.

Like I said, while I believe that this is going to be very beneficial to my golf (surprisingly, beyond stretching, some of the swing drills really impressed me), I don't really know if it will show up on the course. I do know that I almost don't care if it helps my game, because I'm feeling really good, and I'm making it through the winter with visions of pars in my head.

I'm 59 if that seems relevant to anyone. (But now I'm a 59 year old who can touch his knuckles to the floor without bending his knees.)
[/quote]

Just purchased- thanks for the quick review- seems like exactly what I'm looking for. There are also several good reviews on Amazon...

Again, sorry to the OP for the thread jack, but it seemed relevant. Something like this is a great way to pass the Winter golf-blues...

It has been a tough winter...at least I have a driving range (outdoor mind you) that has heaters so I can work on some basic swing exercises...even if it is hitting off of mats it staves off the winter blues!

Ken

Hmm...Today the bag will be...<br /><br />Cobra F9 or Ping 400 LST<br /><br />F9 w/ HZRD Yellow or 16* 3446-f-Matrix 8M2<br /><br />Cobra Baffler w/ HZRD<br /><br />Machine M2A Long Neck SS Copper Insert Hand Peened<br /><br />Mizuno MP-55 & MP-5 w/ SF 110 CW<br /><br />SRIXON 765/965 5-PW w SF i95 Stiff

Greenie, You really think the courses will be open in 3 weeks. I'm thinking it's going to take at least a month for this stuff to melt, and that's assuming we don't get any more on top of it. I know the 20" we got in December took about two weeks. At my house and job we got 32" followed by 19" near Columbia.

In any case I'm looking at least 5 to 6 weeks, as I go in for knee surgery on Thursday and will be rehabbing for 4 weeks. Guess I timed it pretty well !!

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

[quote name='MrParr1Noid' date='16 February 2010 - 11:37 AM' timestamp='1266338268' post='2255340']
I have scrapped my walking, there isn't any golf, and my get up and go, has got up and went. What does everyone do to keep from completely falling apart during these times?

[/quote]

Understand all too well. Don't mind walking when it's zero out if there's no wind, but I'll stay in if it's 30 degrees and it's a gusty 20 knots out there. The biggest problem right now is finding a safe place to walk. Most folks keep their driveways nice and clear, but only about a third will bother with their sidewalks (and no city ordinance compelling them to...). As if the drivers busy on the phone weren't enough of a problem.

Found *MY* winter salvation at the city recreation center's pool. Different plans available, but I use the senior (60+) resident plan for 3 months unlimited use for $35. Most of the OFPRs (Old Fart Pool Rats) show up for the weekday "Adult Open" 6:00am - 1:00pm. There are different exercise classes available including a daily Aqua-Aerobics class, and during classes, there are always open lanes open for laps, plus the deep half of the pool.

I generally spend 1-2 hours a day, 3-5 days a week. Can be very social or not at all, light or intense exercise, in a class, or on your own. The important thing is that I get some regular work, and have a lot of fun doing it. Last winter, we had an aerobics instructor who was a real core-muscle nazi. When we finally got back to the golf course, I found some new flexibility that translated into several extra yards off the tees, and it seemed I stayed in the short grass more often. Trying to work on that more this year.

It's a good way to keep moving during the winter, especially if you love the water like I do, and cheap. If you don't have a city-sponsored program like this where you live, check your health insurance. Some plans have a "wellness" program that can get discounts at participating YMCAs and some health clubs.

I love all you guys, and I'm already starting to feel better about myself, even though I have yet to lift a finger in movement.laugh.gif

We do have a rec center, with basketball court and an Olympic size pool, and a weight room with various tread mills, ellipticals etc etc.

Ambition, that's what it is.... a. m. b. i. t. i. o. n.biggrin.gif Or should I say a lack of...

Dave Whitlam Anser 

The golf bug left me in early October and came back strong in late November just as Stephen Ames won at Disney. Needless to say, I am in what I hope is the final month of my offseason and my club is due to open in March 13, currently 15+ inches of snow on the ground here sad.gif . I know that I am at least going to get 1 round of golf in during the weekend my club opens as I will be traveling to New Orleans. It can't come soon enough!

I have been focusing on my fitness and flexability this offseason more than I have ever done. Hopefully all of this pays off and I am able to achieve the goals that I have set for the 2010 season.

[quote name='Carolina Golfer 2' date='16 February 2010 - 04:23 PM' timestamp='1266355400' post='2256003']
Greenie, You really think the courses will be open in 3 weeks. I'm thinking it's going to take at least a month for this stuff to melt, and that's assuming we don't get any more on top of it. I know the 20" we got in December took about two weeks. At my house and job we got 32" followed by 19" near Columbia.

In any case I'm looking at least 5 to 6 weeks, as I go in for knee surgery on Thursday and will be rehabbing for 4 weeks. Guess I timed it pretty well !!
[/quote]

Well at least I am hoping this all will be gone in three weeks. It should go quick if it warms up some. Yea, I was going by the 20" in Dec. That took about two weeks and this is alot more so I added another week and figured it would be warming up soon.. LOL..Never thought I would be calculating the melting of snow so I can go out and play. By the time this melts this just might be the longest I have gone without playing in the last ten yrs.
Good luck with your surgery. Sounds like you will be ready to play at about the right time.

I think I just may have found it, part of it anyway.good.gif I just hate to mention the word when I'm just beginning though, it always seems to short circuit my progress and planning toward my goal...Oh, to be young and fit again...bye.gif

Did I tell you guys that I did take a walk today? laugh.gif

a. m. b. i. t. i. o. n...

Dave Whitlam Anser 

The thing that will get you going, motivated, and off the sofa is by setting some goals. Have a clear, concise, mental picture of what you want to achieve, then break that goal down into smaller, achievable (bite size?) pieces.

When you work backwards from your goal to the present time, step one will most likely be exercising (golf related), eating right, lessons, indoor practicing, etc.

Doing it this way will help motivate you to do some of these mundane things because you see them as a step towards the big picture end-result.

Maybe a goal is to play a course you've been wanting to play and also play well on that course. Anyone can, for example, take a vacation and go play TPC Sawgrass. But to play it well that day will require a lot of work beforehand.

Every stint on my exercise bike is not really exercise, it is step 1 in getting ready for Sawgrass. Somehow, riding the bike isn't so boring anymore. Yes, a picture of 17 is sitting atop the bike. I keep the end result plastered in front of my face all winter.

Make it your Winter project to get ready for Sawgrass (or whatever course is on your list).

If your goal is to get your handicap down to a certain number, make up a mock handicap card with the new number on it- put it EVERYWHERE. Then break down all the steps to get your handicap to that level. Each step in the goal should have a condition for success and an end-date.

The thing that will get you going, motivated, and off the sofa is by setting some goals. Have a clear, concise, mental picture of what you want to achieve, then break that goal down into smaller, achievable (bite size?) pieces.

When you work backwards from your goal to the present time, step one will most likely be exercising (golf related), eating right, lessons, indoor practicing, etc.

Doing it this way will help motivate you to do some of these mundane things because you see them as a step towards the big picture end-result.

Maybe a goal is to play a course you've been wanting to play and also play well on that course. Anyone can, for example, take a vacation and go play TPC Sawgrass. But to play it well that day will require a lot of work beforehand.

Every stint on my exercise bike is not really exercise, it is step 1 in getting ready for Sawgrass. Somehow, riding the bike isn't so boring anymore. Yes, a picture of 17 is sitting atop the bike. I keep the end result plastered in front of my face all winter.

Make it your Winter project to get ready for Sawgrass (or whatever course is on your list).

If your goal is to get your handicap down to a certain number, make up a mock handicap card with the new number on it- put it EVERYWHERE. Then break down all the steps to get your handicap to that level. Each step in the goal should have a condition for success and an end-date.

SERIOUSLY!!

Not only is this post well thought out but this member is most thoughtful for taking the time to post his thoughts.

I started this topic as a kind of way to pass the time of day, half truth, and half just for something to do. As it turns out? I did need this boost in the pants to get me started on the road to improvement. This is still the thing that amazes me about an online community such as we have here at GolfWRX...

Our Members are The Most Awesome-est Members on the internet, Bar None. good.gif Thank You All!ok.gif

Dave Whitlam Anser 

SERIOUSLY!!

Not only is this post well thought out but this member is most thoughtful for taking the time to post his thoughts.

I started this topic as a kind of way to pass the time of day, half truth, and half just for something to do. As it turns out? I did need this boost in the pants to get me started on the road to improvement. This is still the thing that amazes me about an online community such as we have here at GolfWRX...

Our Members are The Most Awesome-est Members on the internet, Bare None. good.gif Thank You All!ok.gif

Thanks for the thoughtful comments! friends.gif

I love all you guys, and I'm already starting to feel better about myself, even though I have yet to lift a finger in movement.laugh.gif

We do have a rec center, with basketball court and an Olympic size pool, and a weight room with various tread mills, ellipticals etc etc.

Ambition, that's what it is.... a. m. b. i. t. i. o. n.biggrin.gif Or should I say a lack of...

LOL...Your post IS me. Suddenly I'm very very comfortable in the house...like you, it's the cold wind that eliminates my thoughts of venturing out. I've purchased 3 drivers that are the absolute best I've ever seen and haven't hit a shot with any of them...if it isn't snowing it's raining,,,then windy...YIKES!!!

LOL...Your post IS me. Suddenly I'm very very comfortable in the house...like you, it's the cold wind that eliminates my thoughts of venturing out. I've purchased 3 drivers that are the absolute best I've ever seen and haven't hit a shot with any of them...if it isn't snowing it's raining,,,then windy...YIKES!!!

Man it sure does hurt to be cold, and with the wind?...YIKES!! Is Right!!

I sneaked out today and hit 5 balls out into the deep snow, and I didn't hit any of them well but still it was fun. Well, that's enough exercise for today.laugh.gif

You ever notice how good you hit your irons when it's either off of a mat or frozen ground?biggrin.gif . I wonder how my new driver will be? I hope to be able to hit that before I go to Houston for the Shell Open.wink.gif

Dave Whitlam Anser 

I got just the thing to get us through the rest of the winter - we need to get into cat training. I'm working with ol' Rowdy as I write. He's going to be the best Duck Tolling Retriever in catdom by the end of this stinking winter. Just can't figure out how the ducks are going to pay their tolls but that's their problem. Rowdy is pretty heavy-handed. Wonder how he got that way?

My cat Hank could kill a guy with his bare claws. We trained all last winter but Hank didn't cotton to getting feathers in his teeth.biggrin.gif

I have officially begun to exercise, for three straight days that is.. I've shuffled no less than 1.75 miles per day, and wink.gif I hope to get that back up to last years level of 3 to 3.5 miles per day.bye.gif

Heavy Handedness definitely comes from owning cats.bb.gif

Dave Whitlam Anser 

[quote name='Greenie' date='17 February 2010 - 01:19 AM' timestamp='1266387597' post='2257134']
[quote name='Carolina Golfer 2' date='16 February 2010 - 04:23 PM' timestamp='1266355400' post='2256003']

[/quote]

Well at least I am hoping this all will be gone in three weeks. It should go quick if it warms up some. Yea, I was going by the 20" in Dec. That took about two weeks and this is alot more so I added another week and figured it would be warming up soon.. LOL..Never thought I would be calculating the melting of snow so I can go out and play. By the time this melts this just might be the longest I have gone without playing in the last ten yrs.
Good luck with your surgery. Sounds like you will be ready to play at about the right time.
[/quote]

You might actually be right. The pile of snow along my sidewalk that was about 5.5 feet at it's peak is now down to about a foot and half. I actually saw grass today along the median on I-70 near Baltimore. I see a couple coruses are sending out email contest about "guess when we will be open and win a free round or in some cases month of golf" I've entered a few but wont' give up my guess :)

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

I think we're going to have another great spring.

Last year, at least here in NJ we had a lot of rain late-Winter. By Spring, the greenskeepers in my area were all saying the same thing... you would actually have to work at having a bad golf course. They couldn't keep up with the mowing and some hired extra staff to keep everything playable.

All this slow-melting snow will hopefully provide the same results this year.

That, and generally you hit your weather averages for temperature, precipitation, etc. We've had a colder, wetter Winter- that usually means a warmer, dryer Spring/Summer. That means lots of golf weather with nice course conditions.

• 2 weeks later...

[/quote]

Well it looks like my prediction is right on course. Golf courses are open this weekend ...50's...I bought a few various L5V setups. Will be out trying out all the combos I have...Will be spending all day Sat at the range..Playing Sun..Maybe Mon....Alll we all heading out this weekend guys?.........
Carolina Golfer.. I got an email from Patuxent Greens.."all 18 holes open".... My mail box is filling up with courses stating they are open this weekend....
Hope your sugery went well....