Tiger- New Putter?

TMfan54

[quote name='labillyboy' date='27 March 2010 - 11:48 PM' timestamp='1269744508' post='2345154']
[quote name='Kyle_Bourgeois' date='27 March 2010 - 07:31 PM' timestamp='1269743488' post='2345116']
[quote name='rblmp32' date='27 March 2010 - 11:24 PM' timestamp='1269743070' post='2345107']
[quote name='Cwing' date='27 March 2010 - 10:22 PM' timestamp='1269742923' post='2345099']
Was the Scotty in his bag for all his majors?
[/quote]

All but the first, and that was a different Scotty. I may have miscounted...he's won 14 total right? Or is it 15?
[/quote]

[s]I thought his first major was with a Ping putter [/s]My mistake, it was a Scotty-- and 14.
[/quote]

It was a Te I3 in the '97 Masters his first Major.... 14 is correct.
[/quote]

Thanks, you would think the putter would be worth more than 15k eh?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='acpar72' date='27 March 2010 - 10:53 PM' timestamp='1269744783' post='2345165']
Im positive he has not won the last 13 with the "same" exact putter. If I remember right he has gone through the same model once or twice.
[/quote]

Are you saying he used a backup? B/c the model has been the same since what... '98 or '99?

From Wikipedia...

"[size=2][url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiger_Woods"]Tiger Woods[/url] uses a Scotty Cameron copy of a Ping Anser 2. It is made similarly to his original Ping which he grew up playing. It is made of 303 German Stainless Steel. Another identical putter has never been able to take the place of Woods' current putter, even with Cameron making 3 to 4 'backup' putters a year. These are never used and typically given away as mementos. German Stainless Steel is a stainless steel from Germany and Acushnet Corporation (Titleist's parent company) holds a Trademark (registration number 2930902) on the term GSS which denotes German Stainless Steel. Woods's putter is 35.25", D7 swingweight and approximately 326 grams. It has a single sight dot and a red "cherry dot" on both the face and in the back cavity. The putter also has a blank sole and has "Tiger" on the left bumper and "Woods" on the right bumper. Tiger uses a Ping grip on his putter. Woods has used a Scotty Cameron putter for all of his professional golf victories and his current putter was first put into play in July of 1999. A number of other professional golfers use Scotty Camerons including those that are on staff of many other major golf companies (Nike, Taylormade, Callaway, etc.).[sup][url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotty_Cameron#cite_note-5"][6][/url][/sup] and one reason is that Acushnet, on behalf of Titleist and their Scotty Cameron brand, pay more money to players for using a Scotty Cameron Titleist putter than any other manufacture."[/size]

Yes thats exactly what Im saying. In fact, his putter has always been since the teryllium, a newport 2 but has changed slightly. Hes had different "tiger" markings, different red dots, and I believe different "cameron" markings as well. I hope someone else can back me up here.

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9*
PING LST 14* 
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 18*
PING Blueprint 4-PW
PING Glide 2.0 54*
Titleist SM7 58*
Nike Origin B2-01

[quote name='acpar72' date='27 March 2010 - 10:59 PM' timestamp='1269745162' post='2345181']
Yes thats exactly what Im saying. In fact, his putter has always been since the teryllium, a newport 2 but has changed slightly. Hes had different "tiger" markings, different red dots, and I believe different "cameron" markings as well. I hope someone else can back me up here.
[/quote]

Hmm. That's news to me

[quote name='labillyboy' date='27 March 2010 - 11:58 PM' timestamp='1269745087' post='2345176']
From Wikipedia...

"[size="2"][url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiger_Woods"]Tiger Woods[/url] uses a Scotty Cameron copy of a Ping Anser 2. It is made similarly to his original Ping which he grew up playing. It is made of 303 German Stainless Steel. Another identical putter has never been able to take the place of Woods' current putter, even with Cameron making 3 to 4 'backup' putters a year. These are never used and typically given away as mementos. German Stainless Steel is a stainless steel from Germany and Acushnet Corporation (Titleist's parent company) holds a Trademark (registration number 2930902) on the term GSS which denotes German Stainless Steel. Woods's putter is 35.25", D7 swingweight and approximately 326 grams. It has a single sight dot and a red "cherry dot" on both the face and in the back cavity. The putter also has a blank sole and has "Tiger" on the left bumper and "Woods" on the right bumper. Tiger uses a Ping grip on his putter. Woods has used a Scotty Cameron putter for all of his professional golf victories and his current putter was first put into play in July of 1999. A number of other professional golfers use Scotty Camerons including those that are on staff of many other major golf companies (Nike, Taylormade, Callaway, etc.).[sup][url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotty_Cameron#cite_note-5"][6][/url][/sup] and one reason is that Acushnet, on behalf of Titleist and their Scotty Cameron brand, pay more money to players for using a Scotty Cameron Titleist putter than any other manufacture."[/size]
[/quote]

Ahhh, thats where I was getting Ping from.. I knew there was some correlation

[quote name='mbradley' date='27 March 2010 - 05:26 PM' timestamp='1269725204' post='2344616']
[quote name='jaskanski' date='27 March 2010 - 04:47 PM' timestamp='1269722837' post='2344540']
[quote name='Onebulldogs' date='27 March 2010 - 08:40 PM' timestamp='1269722416' post='2344530']
Whether one is a Tiger supporter or not (that would be me), it seems like a very odd time for him to switch the most important club in his bag out. I wonder if Team Tiger see's switching to a Nike putter as a way to reward Nike for sticking with him?
[/quote]

Lol. I was thinking the reverse. Nike saying: "If you want to stay with us, you WILL use this putter!"
[/quote]

These two are in the same ball park. I was thinking the same thing. Nonetheless, if Tiger is going to use a Method putter, it must be a monster putter.
[/quote]

Tiger won a master with an Anser 2, does that make it a "monster", too? ;)

I don't think it necessarily means the method is a "monster" putter as much as it mean Eldrick is interested.

The Method is a very well built, well thought out putter by Nike. I just wish it was at least 50 bucks cheaper, since it's not made out of carbon steel. :)

D - Tour Burner TP 9.5*/Mitsubishi Diamana Whiteboard 63g 

3W - 07 Burner TP TS/Mitsubishi Diamana Blueboard 73g

2h - Razr Tour/Aldila NV Hybrid 85

3h - Diablo Edge Tour/Motore Speeder Tour Spec 9.8 HB

5-7 - P790/KBS C-Taper 120

8-PW - P770/KBS C-Taper 120

50* - Nike Engage 

54* - Nike VR Forged 

60* - Nike VR Forged

P - Nike Method Origin B2-01 Naked

[quote name='Chappie' date='27 March 2010 - 11:17 PM' timestamp='1269746233' post='2345214']

I don't think it necessarily means the method is a "monster" putter as much as it mean Eldrick is interested.

The Method is a very well built, well thought out putter by Nike. I just wish it was at least 50 bucks cheaper, since it's not made out of carbon steel. :)
[/quote]

He won with an Anser style putter. But the putters he has won with are all Scotty Camerons ;)

I understand Tiger now associates his Cameron with the bad old days of non stop shagging and scatology. He's been looking for a more wholesome style of putter to move to and he's going to a steel Anser2 from the private reserve in the Jehova room at Ping. Aparrently this is the putter the sex rehab gurus recommend seeing as it is associated with good old traditional non S&M down home bible readin vibe as practised by Karsten. He's also converted from Buddism - Cmon we all know that isn't a real religion outside of Nepal and has had Proverbs 3:5-6 engraved on the bottom of his Anser2. He now rejects the idolatry of Cameron and his licentious cult and embraces a harsh lutherian protestantism without flaggelation or booty of any kind or not. Best of all he no longer has to black out the mighty Ping man on the grip - Amen to that.

[quote name='Caligula' date='28 March 2010 - 11:53 AM' timestamp='1269791631' post='2345811']
I understand Tiger now associates his Cameron with the bad old days of non stop shagging and scatology. He's been looking for a more wholesome style of putter to move to and he's going to a steel Anser2 from the private reserve in the Jehova room at Ping. Aparrently this is the putter the sex rehab gurus recommend seeing as it is associated with good old traditional non S&M down home bible readin vibe as practised by Karsten. He's also converted from Buddism - Cmon we all know that isn't a real religion outside of Nepal and has had Proverbs 3:5-6 engraved on the bottom of his Anser2. He now rejects the idolatry of Cameron and his licentious cult and embraces a harsh lutherian protestantism without flaggelation or booty of any kind or not. Best of all he no longer has to black out the mighty Ping man on the grip - Amen to that.
[/quote]

:cheesy:

[quote name='rblmp32' date='28 March 2010 - 08:41 AM' timestamp='1269780088' post='2345586']
[quote name='Chappie' date='27 March 2010 - 11:17 PM' timestamp='1269746233' post='2345214']

[/quote]

He won with an Anser style putter. But the putters he has won with are all Scotty Camerons ;)
[/quote]

I actually meant to say played with an anser 2 in a masters, but Tiger did use a Ping Anser 2 In the Open when O'Meara won at Birkdale.

D - Tour Burner TP 9.5*/Mitsubishi Diamana Whiteboard 63g 

3W - 07 Burner TP TS/Mitsubishi Diamana Blueboard 73g

2h - Razr Tour/Aldila NV Hybrid 85

3h - Diablo Edge Tour/Motore Speeder Tour Spec 9.8 HB

5-7 - P790/KBS C-Taper 120

8-PW - P770/KBS C-Taper 120

50* - Nike Engage 

54* - Nike VR Forged 

60* - Nike VR Forged

P - Nike Method Origin B2-01 Naked

[quote name='rblmp32' date='27 March 2010 - 09:15 PM' timestamp='1269742507' post='2345087']
[quote name='Lefty325' date='27 March 2010 - 09:56 PM' timestamp='1269741415' post='2345043']
Do you really think someone that putts as good as Tiger can not switch putters after being off the tour since november. He can switch putters without missing a beat. Trust me its ALWAYS about the money... and winning. If he can putt as good with the Nike as the Scotty, why not make the money, and trust me he can putt as good with a Nike if he practices with it.
[/quote]

Lol. You don't get it. You ever had a club that you trusted more than any other in your bag? Ever change it? Remember how hard that was to do? B/c that trusted club had been to war with you. Hit tons of great shots. Never let you down (or at least you never remembered it letting you down). Now imagine you are Tiger Woods and the club in question is your putter. It's won you 13 majors. What... nearly 100 million bucks? That putter probably feels like an extension of his own body. Will he switch ever? Probably. Will it be at Augusta this year, his first tournament back? Hell no.
[/quote]
That is exactly it, he may putt as good or better with the Method on the practice green or even a practice round, but when the tourney is on the line, and he needs to make a tough putt to win, make a playoff or to make the cut, which putter do you think he would rather have in his hands? It will be tough to make the switch, Nicklaus used the same putter most of his career, same with Crenshaw and he was never the same after he broke the shaft in "little Ben" during the Ryder Cup. A trusty putter is a tough club to switch up.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

These two are in the same ball park. I was thinking the same thing. Nonetheless, if Tiger is going to use a Method putter, it must be a monster putter.

What does that even mean?

LOL, I was thinking the same thing, maybe the putter is sick as well........rolleyes.gif

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

[quote name='rblmp32' date='27 March 2010 - 10:19 PM' timestamp='1269742778' post='2345097']
[quote name='Lefty325' date='27 March 2010 - 09:58 PM' timestamp='1269741507' post='2345046']
The one thing I do know about people with big time money, is that they all have it because they seriously care about money and getting even more of it.
[/quote]

That is definitely true. But you gotta remember, making bank isn't what Tiger is all about. It's almost perk of what motivates and drives him. And what motivates and drives him is winning.
[/quote]

I am sorry, but I have to disagree about Tiger and money. If Tiger did not care about money, he would not have spent so much of his time off the course doing all kinds of things to make money.
1. Instead of being limited to a Tag watch, he could collect watches with his money.
2. Instead of being forced to drive Buicks(General Motors), he could have riding around in a Bently.
3. If money didn't matter, he would not have set up his course design firm around high dollar properties only. He could have set up a shop focusing on low cost designs to "build the game" if he wanted.
4. I am positive his endorsement deals meant spending time smoozing execs and making commercials. Even travelling to these events would be a hassle.

I am NOT saying any of these choices is wrong. In his place, I would have gladly accepted the endorsement deals he got. BUT if winning was the only thing he cared about, he would have not spent the time getting or complying with the deals.

[quote name='dlygrisse' date='28 March 2010 - 01:19 PM' timestamp='1269796799' post='2345972']
[quote name='rblmp32' date='27 March 2010 - 09:15 PM' timestamp='1269742507' post='2345087']
[quote name='Lefty325' date='27 March 2010 - 09:56 PM' timestamp='1269741415' post='2345043']
Do you really think someone that putts as good as Tiger can not switch putters after being off the tour since november. He can switch putters without missing a beat. Trust me its ALWAYS about the money... and winning. If he can putt as good with the Nike as the Scotty, why not make the money, and trust me he can putt as good with a Nike if he practices with it.
[/quote]

Lol. You don't get it. You ever had a club that you trusted more than any other in your bag? Ever change it? Remember how hard that was to do? B/c that trusted club had been to war with you. Hit tons of great shots. Never let you down (or at least you never remembered it letting you down). Now imagine you are Tiger Woods and the club in question is your putter. It's won you 13 majors. What... nearly 100 million bucks? That putter probably feels like an extension of his own body. Will he switch ever? Probably. Will it be at Augusta this year, his first tournament back? Hell no.
[/quote]
That is exactly it, he may putt as good or better with the Method on the practice green or even a practice round, but when the tourney is on the line, and he needs to make a tough putt to win, make a playoff or to make the cut, which putter do you think he would rather have in his hands? It will be tough to make the switch, Nicklaus used the same putter most of his career, same with Crenshaw and he was never the same after he broke the shaft in "little Ben" during the Ryder Cup. A trusty putter is a tough club to switch up.
[/quote]

Although I was very young when Nicklaus was still winning (I remember his last Masters win), I thought he was a putter ho. Didn't he win with that giant putter head or the "Basackwards?" I may be wrong.

[quote name='Onebulldogs' date='28 March 2010 - 02:58 PM' timestamp='1269802686' post='2346136']
I am sorry, but I have to disagree about Tiger and money. If Tiger did not care about money, he would not have spent so much of his time off the course doing all kinds of things to make money.
1. Instead of being limited to a Tag watch, he could collect watches with his money.
2. Instead of being forced to drive Buicks(General Motors), he could have riding around in a Bently.
3. If money didn't matter, he would not have set up his course design firm around high dollar properties only. He could have set up a shop focusing on low cost designs to "build the game" if he wanted.
4. I am positive his endorsement deals meant spending time smoozing execs and making commercials. Even travelling to these events would be a hassle.

I am NOT saying any of these choices is wrong. In his place, I would have gladly accepted the endorsement deals he got. BUT if winning was the only thing he cared about, he would have not spent the time getting or complying with the deals.
[/quote]

Sigh. Lets do this again. Do any of those things interfere with Tiger winning? No? Ok. Done. Winning first. Money only win it doesn't hurt his chances at winning. That's how it works with that guy. He will not switch to the Method or any other putter for the Masters for any sum of money. If he does, I'll eat tons of crow. But I'm not worried.

You read too much into my post before, that or I wasn't clear enough. Having watched Tiger since '97, imo this is how it works with him. Winning > money. Money comes along with winning and don't get me wrong, he works hard at making $$. But he does not sacrifice winning to make more money. He wants Jack's record more than he wants another couple million bucks. Without question.

Seems to me a perfect time for him to switch putters. He missed more putts down the stretch during events last year than in any year I can remember. Since he was locked away from Thanksgiving to a month or so ago, I am guessing his only getaway was putting on his own practice green and he has been grooving the thing for months.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

It seems to me that returning from a layoff is the perfect time to make a putter switch. You'll need to regain your touch/feel either way. Presumably it would match his weight/length/lie and visual preferences also. If a Nike has truly been a backup for all this time you can be certain that he's at least somewhat familiar with it already.

10.5 (8.5) TM Sim2 w/ Smoke Blk 70 6.5  |||  16.5 HL Rogue ST LS w/ Smoke Blk 80 6.5

2i TM P790 w/ Smoke Blk HY 6.5  |||  4-PW Srixon ZX7 w/ S400

50.08 (SM9), 54.13 (TM MG3), 58.12 (SM9) w/ S400  |||  Byron Morgan 007

[quote name='rblmp32' date='27 March 2010 - 10:19 PM' timestamp='1269742778' post='2345097']
[quote name='Lefty325' date='27 March 2010 - 09:58 PM' timestamp='1269741507' post='2345046']
The one thing I do know about people with big time money, is that they all have it because they seriously care about money and getting even more of it.
[/quote]

That is definitely true. But you gotta remember, making bank isn't what Tiger is all about. It's almost perk of what motivates and drives him. And what motivates and drives him is winning.
[/quote]
Wow, I didn't know you knew Tiger like that.

Taylormade SIM2 MAX 9* AutoFlex 505xx 

Taylormade SIM 5 RIP X 85TX

Srixon ZX 20* Recoil 95X

Srixon ZX5 4-6 DGTI X100

Srixon ZX7 7-PW DGTI X100
Taylormade MG2 TW 52/56/60 S400 TI
Kevin Burns 9305LN LAGP One35

[quote name='ckay' date='28 March 2010 - 09:08 PM' timestamp='1269824893' post='2346875']
Wow, I didn't know you knew Tiger like that.
[/quote]

Doesn't take a genius, just gotta have more than a coconut on top of your head. You don't become as good as he is without being wired that way. The best of the best are always like that. Look at Michael Jordan. Magic Johnson. Jack Nicklaus. We could go on and on.

[quote name='justodd' date='28 March 2010 - 11:42 AM' timestamp='1269794544' post='2345895']
[/quote]

These two are in the same ball park. I was thinking the same thing. Nonetheless, if Tiger is going to use a Method putter, [u][i][b]it must be a monster putter[/b][/i][/u].
[/quote]

What does that even mean?
[/quote]

that it rolls something sick tasty. -Philly Mick.

My guess is Tiger is rolling a new Bettinardi, that would be the only putter he could use that would truly be a step up from a scotty cameron.clapping.gifdrinks.gif

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

Equipment changes for tour players are so overrated. Sure, it affects them to a certain degree, some more than others. But to think a guy couldn't change putters before a big tournament and not be comfortable is absurd. besides, he's probably been testing it for a while. The Method putters have been on tour for almost two years.

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-), Alta CB S
PING G430 hybrid 22° (F-), Alta CB S
PING i530 5-U, DG Mid 115 S300
PING s159 54°-W (bent 52°), 58°-B, DG Mid 115 S300
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

Rumor has it from a buddy who was lucky enough to spend some time down at "The Oven" a couple of months ago...

He's using the METHOD!

Apparently the guys have been slaving over fitting the design of a couple "Tour Issue" putters and he has reason to believe it's Woods (given that all of the other Nike stars putters were already fit and duplicates made...)

But guess what? It's still just a RUMOR haha... I do enjoy the suspense

I think it be more appropriate if he stayed with Scotty and maybe made the switch over to a...
"My Girl Putter" :cheesy: