2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Kicked out of Driving Range

Does the building encompass the whole width of the range? It probably wouldn't be that hard to avoid.

OP, be honest..... were you trying to carry the fence and hit the building before the owner came out? I can see some people doing this, which would likely lead to me, as the business owner, coming out in a very foul mood.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Minty7890' date='16 April 2010 - 10:09 PM' timestamp='1271470196' post='2384281']
If the owner doesn't want people hitting balls over the net, he has to post signs warning people. "You would think someone who frequents this range would know his driver is going to go over the net and into the building", [b]then the owner should know even better than a customer. [/b] I'm not applauding the guy. The business owner has to set regulations for his operation, so these instances can be avoided.
[/quote]

"If the owner doesn't want people hitting balls over the net, he has to post signs warning people"

How do we those signs aren't already up? We're taking the word of the OP who obviously isn't telling the entire story. It sounds like the OP has hit balls over the net every time he's been to this range. I'm sure the owner has lost a ton of money from people doing the same thing this guy has done. Of, course, that's something that noone ever stops to think about. The owner should just listen to a bunch of tools who know to run his business better than he does.

I cannot for the life of me understand how this "debate" is going on?

Simply put ...

1. Patron hit balls over net.
2. Owner asked patron to not hit balls over net, it's a rule.
3. Patron cooks his 3 wood over net intended to hit a house.
4. Owner loses it, and kicks patron, looking bad in the customer service department.
5. Patron beats chest and throws this story on the interweb .......

The cup runeth over in the butthead department on both sides .......

What's to debate? Seriously?!

Wow. Discouraging, honestly, to read so many people suggesting the range owner should either be ignored or that he doesn't know how to run a business. I really hope the average age of the authors of said comments is ~15. That'd be the day that I'd have a customer of mine tell me how to run my business, as if their wise-a$$ remarks substitute for actually being a businessman(or woman)

I agreed with the OP 100% and went to his house to tell him in person. It was dark so I didn't notice that my shoes were muddy. He sees me tracking mud on his carpet and rudely asks me to remove my shoes. There were no signs posted but I took them off. Now my hands are muddy; when I adjusted the cushions on his sofa he starts yelling at me to stop getting mud on everything. Now I'm really upset so I wipe my hands on his curtains and leave.

I did nothing wrong!

Honma Beres 10.5*
Jones/Ortiz 4 wood 17*
Adams Idea Black CB2 irons 26, 29, 33, 37, 41, 45*
Callaway MD3 S grind 52, 56, C grind 60, PM grind 64*
Tom Slighter Custom Needle 450g, 3* loft, 74* lie (2006)
Tom Slighter Needle 360g, 4* loft, 72* lie (2012, backup)

i'm suprised the OP is getting flamed, what do you want from him, it's a DRIVING RANGE, did he tell you when you handed him a ten dollar bill "oh and by the way, you can't hit it more than 250 yards"

i would've just asked for my money back as soon as he told you to stop hitting your driver

Ping G425 Max 9*

Ping G425 Max 14.5*

Ping G425 17* & 19*

Titleist T100 4-6

Titleist 620MB 7-PW

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 52* & 58*

Odyssey White Hot OG 7s

Sun Mountain Mid Stripe

[quote name='BigLeftyinAZ' date='17 April 2010 - 06:55 AM' timestamp='1271512546' post='2384787']
Who needs to hit drivers on the range?Range balls are not good for these new driver faces. I haven't hit my driver on the range in 6-7 years and haven't caved one in since.

If you can swing a 6 iron well,you can swing your driver well. just my 2 cents
[/quote]

Especially the balls out at Knollwood! Northridge hasn't been the same with you in AZ.

no signs to say "irons only" then go ahead and take driver, if you are going to run a business then run it right. if it can not take a driver then there should be a sign stating it. although i dont agree with afterwards trying to hit on purpose. you were both wrong at the end.

on another note. I think ranges should be required to note all of their unoffical rules. I have seen some werid rules that they never state unless you practice there before and have been yelled at.

[quote name='8thehardway' date='17 April 2010 - 08:57 AM' timestamp='1271509043' post='2384727']
I agreed with the OP 100% and went to his house to tell him in person. It was dark so I didn't notice that my shoes were muddy. He sees me tracking mud on his carpet and rudely asks me to remove my shoes. There were no signs posted but I took them off. Now my hands are muddy; when I adjusted the cushions on his sofa he starts yelling at me to stop getting mud on everything. Now I'm really upset so I wipe my hands on his curtains and leave.

I did nothing wrong!
[/quote]

well played.

[quote name='tbarr15' date='17 April 2010 - 05:56 PM' timestamp='1271541409' post='2385313']
I have actually ran a driving range before, and although I understand your frustations, you have no idea what "making a higher net" costs. It it thousands of dollars, plus driving ranges have thin margins.

You were wrong, go apologize, be a man.
[/quote]

+1

While the owner didn't handle the situation in the best way he could, the best course of action for the OP at this point (if he wants the convenience of being able to hit balls close to home) is to go back to the range (without his clubs), go to the counter and apologize to the owner. Explain that he's been a good customer for a long time and would like to continue to be, promising that he will not hit driver or balls over the net. If the owner says "no" then thank him for his time and walk out politely.

Mylo do you feel like your response worked for you?

Being bloody minded is something I can do pretty well myself but the owner is missing out on a few $ from you once a week or whatever. You miss out on the range 2 mins from home.

What did you really expect to happen by purposely hitting the building when the owner was watching? That he was going to clap and pat you on the back??

Yes its a short range and a taller fence is needed. But if its marked at 255 yds and you know you can hit over it with driver - why go there for starters? Its obviously too short for you.

Looks like you managed to upset yourself, the owner and the outcome is the same - you have to find a better facility but in the mean time you have lost the ability to go and practice your short game and irons at the place that is most convenient.

...bogus rules...

spicoli.jpg

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

I have no opinion on the issue at hand... Only that I found it hard to understand that you could not see where the balls were landing because it was getting pretty dark... then the owner yells at you.... Then you hit some irons... Then you hit your 3 wood and you saw it fly over the fence, take 2 bounces and smash into the building.

Pretty cool, I've actually thought about putting a pair of night vision goggles into a pocket of my bag I never use.

It's human nature for the aggrieved party's story to be slanted toward their own biased view. I'd argue that every post in this thread that says "The owner of the range could have handled it better" is completely off base because it's highly unlikely that the OP has accurately described how the owner of the range actually responded. Age, accumulated wisdom, common sense...all these weigh against the idea that the OP has given a true third party view of what happened.

The fellow that owns the range's story is probably something along the lines of..."There's this guy that's been coming here for years and hitting balls over the net. I haven't said anything to him up until now because he's been a good customer, but finally his lack of common sense has forced me to point out the obvious to him. I felt like he was probably a reasonable person and would understand if I just pointed it out.

But I had to point it out. Last year my insurance company raised my rates to reflect the fact that when the insurance evaluator visited, the same guy was hitting balls over the net, which led the insurance evaluator to guess that there was a large risk of someone being injured by a ball going over the net toward the banquet facility.

As a range owner, I don't make a lot of money. Higher insurance rates can make the difference between whether my kids eat steak once a month or once every two months.

You'd think that even a 14 year old would have a little common sense about it. But, when he then went ahead and hit another ball over the fence, I couldn't run the risk of having that person at the range anymore. It makes me angry to have to lose a customer, but some customers cost you money in the long run, and the quicker you identify them and cut them loose, the more likely you are to survive as a small business."

Unfortunately, it's much more likely that the OP's life will be filled with these stories, all ending with "I can't see where I did anything wrong". It's a character trait that seems almost impossible to change.

I can't believe all of the members stating that "it is a driving range, you should be able to hit drivers if you want".

Since when the hell do we get to do what ever we want at anyone's private business facility? I don't care if the sign says "Driving Range" or "Welcome to Moe's". The owner actually "OWNS" the place, therefore he gets to "MAKE THE RULES". If you don't like the rules, then go somewhere else.

Just because it is a range doesn't mean you get to hit what ever club you want, when ever you want.

Our range at my club is 260 yards long and has a 8 foot fence exactly. There is a rule, NO HITTING DRIVERS. We have zero problem with the members hitting drivers, with the exception of a few stupid kids.

There are also two ranges close by that flood on occasion when the Ohio river rises. During those times, the owners do not want you hitting ANY club that lands in the flooded end of the range. Sometimes, that is 180 yards. Any half way respectable adult understands that and does not fire HYBRIDS into the water and lose the OWNERS range balls. That would be DISRESPECTFUL.

As for the "Old School - Progressive Crap", it is called CLASS. Either one acts like a mature respectful adult with CLASS, or they act like a SOILED ROTTEN BRAT that demands they get what they want.

I am willing to bet my golf bag, clubs included, that we could probably guess the age of every poster on this thread. It is quite obvious. Some of us "old guys" were probably just as stupid when we were young too.

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

[quote name='NPVWhiz' date='18 April 2010 - 08:51 AM' timestamp='1271598673' post='2386110']
Unfortunately, it's much more likely that the OP's life will be filled with these stories, all ending with "I can't see where I did anything wrong". It's a character trait that seems almost impossible to change.
[/quote]

That's a bit harsh man. How old is the OP? If he's a kid, this is just normal kid vs. authority BS. If he's raised properly, he'll grow out of it.

For the comments on the length of the range, there are at least 6 driving ranges here in my town... the shortest is 75 yards with the tees all the way back (your basically hitting into a net).

Of the 6 I am familiar with, most are 240-270 yards long, only one is over 300 yards. 2 of the shorter ones have signs saying "No Woods", Ironically the 75 yarder allows anything as long as you aren't clearing the net, which for me means 7 iron to pitching wedge as they all go over the top LOL.

I don't go to the ones that don't allow woods when i want to hit woods, simple as that. The one I use mostly is 260 yards with about a 100ft fence at the bottom, didn't really affect em as I am fairly short off the tee, though i have improved this year and the occasional "dong" as I manage to hit an upright on the fly with my driver certainly putts a smile on my face.

You had me on board until you spat the pacifier and deliberately flew the fence.

[quote name='Bomb and Gouge' date='18 April 2010 - 11:31 AM' timestamp='1271604713' post='2386232']
[quote name='NPVWhiz' date='18 April 2010 - 08:51 AM' timestamp='1271598673' post='2386110']
[/quote]

That's a bit harsh man. How old is the OP? If he's a kid, this is just normal kid vs. authority BS. If he's raised properly, he'll grow out of it.
[/quote]
...and the way children learn is to point out misbehavior, hopefully including a rational discussion why it was inappropriate. No, not "inappropriate", wrong. Reaffirming that that they "did nothing wrong" or are "just kids" does not help them "grow out of it".

I really didn't want to post in this thread but finally did because I was aghast at the perspectives of people defending the OP. The OP was wrong, period. He simply posted here expecting affirmation of his actions from his peers. However, he was naive because there are a few thinking, mature adults who also post on Golfwrx that jumped on him (correctly, in my opinion). Surprise.

LOTS of driving ranges have limited parcels of land and for safety reasons need to restrict how far balls can travel. Geez, what stupidity!. Hope I didn't sugarcoat my opinion too much.

I don't feel as though I was in the wrong in any way.

My advice: Grow up and learn how to accept responsibility for your actions.

+1 - sounds like you have an ego problem.

+2 - Wow. Just wow. May I ask your age mylo?

+3 If I were the owner, I would have taken your 3 wood out of your hand and beat you with it. Then, kept it and kicked you out. Not cool black%20eye.gif

[quote name='mylo' date='15 April 2010 - 09:56 AM' timestamp='1271339818' post='2380985']
I don't feel as though I was in the wrong in any way. Sure I didn't have to hit the last one over the fence and escalate things but I wasn't going to be going back there anyway. After all, it is a driving range meant to hit balls.
[/quote]
I'm sure you could work everything out if you just give the owner 10 grand to build a higher fence so you can bomb your driver without risk of destroying someone elses property or killing someone.

It's a win-win, really...

He's been going there for years. From his posts, it seems like people hit their drivers all the time. I assume there was no rule about hitting drivers or even FW. Without that written rule, I think the OP was well within his rights. He hit his FW after his driver was "too long". While the OP response at the end was childish, I think it was deserved. You don't treat customers that way. He should have been thankful that you supported his business.