2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

New (old?) scam - switching golf balls in the boxes at the B&M stores

SwingBlues

Isn't this thread really sickening? You have some numnuts out there essentially shoplifting by switching the sleeves or even the balls within the sleeve -- all done with the purpose to go play one of the few games of which the entire conceptual basis of the game is about --- HONOR. I realize some of these yo-yo's are just stealing them to go resale somewhere else instead of actually playing golf, but it's really sad when it's connected to a game in which one calls rules infractions on himself.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Ruleschamp' date='27 June 2010 - 08:18 AM' timestamp='1277651894' post='2539683']
Isn't this thread really sickening? You have some numnuts out there essentially shoplifting by switching the sleeves or even the balls within the sleeve -- all done with the purpose to go play one of the few games of which the entire conceptual basis of the game is about --- HONOR. I realize some of these yo-yo's are just stealing them to go resale somewhere else instead of actually playing golf, but it's really sad when it's connected to a game in which one calls rules infractions on himself.
[/quote]

You betcha, it's an oxymoron for the MORONS really. Well said :ok:

I think if this thread helps to educate those of us at GolfWRX about these scams, it's done it's job. I know i've learnt from this.

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

Bought 5 dozen of the TP Red's from Walmart and didn't check underneath - surprisingly only one had been switched out for a dozen TaylorMade XD's - think it's silly but probably easiest to do at a Walmart due to self-checkout. Getting busted for shoplifting to save $10 on golf balls would be pretty embarassing I'd imagine.

Some People will do anything to save a buck. I once caught a guy stuffing Titleist Tour Balatas(yes, this was a long time ago) into a staff bag. He went to the counter and gave the cashier the tag off of the bag. I had trained all of the cashiers to "check the zippers" on every golf bag to make sure they worked. Wink, wink. 12 boxes of balls in the rear pocket. Decided he did not want the bag or the balls. I invited him to not come in again.

[quote name='hef63303' date='24 June 2010 - 08:57 AM' timestamp='1277384236' post='2529697']
If they seal the package, the idiots will not be able to switch sleeves to get all of the Number 1 balls.
[/quote]

Well, I gotta tell ya. I like to play with the #3 numbered balls. I went to Wal-mart when they sold Wilson Zips, and I switched out 4 sleeves of the #3 balls and then just put the other numbers back in. I took a dozen balls that were numbered #3.

I did it with Wal-mart employees walking all around the store. I had to do what I had to do.

[quote name='TheNatural72' date='29 June 2010 - 01:47 AM' timestamp='1277790475' post='2543776']
[quote name='hef63303' date='24 June 2010 - 08:57 AM' timestamp='1277384236' post='2529697']
If they seal the package, the idiots will not be able to switch sleeves to get all of the Number 1 balls.
[/quote]

Well, I gotta tell ya. I like to play with the #3 numbered balls. I went to Wal-mart when they sold Wilson Zips, and I switched out 4 sleeves of the #3 balls and then just put the other numbers back in. I took a dozen balls that were numbered #3.

I did it with Wal-mart employees walking all around the store. I had to do what I had to do.
[/quote]

You will likely get caught and charged with shoplifting if you keep doing this. You will get a citation for shoplifting and pay that fine, and Wal Mart will go after you in civil court for restitution to the tune of $2000.
Pretty expensive dozen balls.

Taylormade Sim2 10.5° (turned down to 9°) - Tensei White 60 stiff

Ping G400 3 and 5 Woods - Diamana D+ Limited 70 stiff

Ping G400 22° Hybrid - Diamana D+ 90 Stiff

Ping i200 5-UW - Modus Tour 105 stiff

Vokey SM4 54° and 58° - DGS-300

Cameron Special Select Newport 2

[quote name='RighttoLeft' date='04 July 2010 - 04:59 AM' timestamp='1278233981' post='2553902']
[quote name='TheNatural72' date='29 June 2010 - 01:47 AM' timestamp='1277790475' post='2543776']
[/quote]

[/quote]

You will likely get caught and charged with shoplifting if you keep doing this. You will get a citation for shoplifting and pay that fine, and Wal Mart will go after you in civil court for restitution to the tune of $2000.
[/quote]

My local Edwin Watts lets me switch the balls for the numbers I want.
Here's what happened;

Me; hey Bob, can I switch these ball numbers out so I can get all number 3s?
Bob; Yeah, sure man. Just make sure you don't tear the sleeves.

So, some places will let ya do it

Sat this happen at Target too. A few months ago when there was a sale on Callaway HX Tours I went to take a look at them. There was one left on the shelf and was about to buy it then I checked the sleeves and saw that someone swapped it out with used Warbirds.

Same thing happened at Target buying vitamins, bought a pack and took it home, opened it and the bottle's sealed foil cap was opened and the vitamins opened. They just used double stick tape to close the original box when they returned them. I went back to return them, wanted to exchange it and went back to the shelves and the three remaining boxes were also hacked and empty. Brought it to the customer service desk and they were like "What the?". Got my refund.

[quote name='Eternal_Envoy' date='05 July 2010 - 08:15 PM' timestamp='1278371726' post='2556264']
[quote name='RighttoLeft' date='04 July 2010 - 04:59 AM' timestamp='1278233981' post='2553902']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

My local Edwin Watts lets me switch the balls for the numbers I want.
Here's what happened;

Me; hey Bob, can I switch these ball numbers out so I can get all number 3s?
Bob; Yeah, sure man. Just make sure you don't tear the sleeves.

So, some places will let ya do it
[/quote]

Why do companies even put numbers on the balls do begin with. I know that it helps identify your ball, but with so many people drawing lines, dots, letters, etc. it seems kind of pointless to me. If you want a 3 on it, draw it, if 998 is your number that works as well.

10.5* R15 430 - Elements Chrome 6F4T
RBZ Stage 2 3HL Tour - TSPX VTS Silver
RBZ Stage 2 Tour 3Hyb - TSPX VTS Silver
20* MP-H4 / 24* MP-H4 / 6-PW MP-59 - S300SL
50* 54* 58* MP-T11 - S300SL
Scotty Cameron JAT

[quote name='SVTmike' date='29 June 2010 - 02:32 AM' timestamp='1277793171' post='2543999']
[quote name='TheNatural72' date='29 June 2010 - 12:47 AM' timestamp='1277790475' post='2543776']
. I had to do what I had to do.
[/quote]

Superstitious much? LOL It's obviously not as bad as switching the types of balls out, but that doesn't make it right.
[/quote]

I actually go up to an employee or manager and ask them to come help me for a moment. Then ask them if it would be OK if I switch out the #3-#4 balls in one box for the #1-#2 balls. I have gotten "Sure go ahead" and I have gotten rejected. In which case I buy them anyway. I make it clear that they are the same model/price/e.t.c.

If titleist would allow me to order a dozen or two with these numbers WITHOUT CHARGING AN ADDED FEE AND RIDCULOUS MINIMUM ORDER it would stop. This is not the same as STEALING. It is the same item.

One time, I was looking at balls at Wally World, and this poor kid next to me was holding some Premium $40 golf balls and a box of Wilsons. The little guy looked at me, with his eyes glazed over and said, "hey mister, my dad would sure like these Callaway balls for christmas, but I can't afford them. So I said, "well, I would love to help you out sonny boy, but I can't afford those balls either."

I came up with a plan, I said, "I'll help you out, if you help me out. Let's switch the balls in the boxes, so we can buy these balls for 5 bucks.

The little boy's eyes lit up, "of course I'll help ya mister...dad's gonna be real happy this christmas!"

so we went to work, switching the balls out as quickly as we could. We knew had the advantage against the store, because Slow Stevie worked in sporting goods. He was a real goony idiot that basically lurched around the department deflating balls and made ill-fated attempts at constructing product kiosks. So we finished with the balls, and took them up to the self checkout. Scanned them, 5 bucks a piece. We were even greeted by the old man with the colostomy bag, and told us to have a nice day.

The little boy said, "we sure will old fella, my dad is going to have the best christmas ever.". And then as we walked out of the store, there were 2 security guards waiting for us. They approached us and said, "hand over the balls now, little kid. We know what you did."

the little boy looked at me for guidance and I said, "they're right, they know what you did. And do you want to know why they know? Because I told them. That's right, I'm a secret manager here at Wal Mart, and I was watching your butt all day. You knew you wanted to steal those balls you little hoodlum.

The little boy now terrified, "but mister, you helped....

Bull! I said, "You agreed with me. I went to community college kid. Haven't you ever seen Minority Report...it's called a pre-crime, and you're busted.".

Take him away! Call the police, I said. I don't want this trash in my store. Take his pic, post it by the golf balls as a deterrent for the next lowlife scum bag that decides he's not wealthy enough for $40 balls. And why in the he'll are we carrying $40 balls anyway. I said, as me and the security guards laughed our way all the way back to holding room where the lttle boy would realize what the rest of his life was going to be like. The end.

[quote name='RighttoLeft' date='04 July 2010 - 01:59 AM' timestamp='1278233981' post='2553902']
[/quote]

I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have any case for shoplifting, when you are paying the right price for the right item.

Though it's probably a good idea to ask. Lots of people have a preference for a certain number. I used to prefer 2s and 4s. And I know you can buy ProV1s in 5-8 (why anyone would want to stare at an 8 all day is beyond me though).

[quote name='stevestrike' date='23 June 2010 - 04:17 PM' timestamp='1277324244' post='2528566']
When are ball makers going to wise-up and just start sealing the packaging?!?
[/quote]

Well some people like to purchase them by the sleeve too. Our shop tags the sleeves individually and the only way to ring it through the computer is to scan an individual sleeve. In the system once the quantity reaches 4 it discounts them at the box price. No possible way for anyone to switch them on us unless they literally change the balls to another sleeve.

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

[quote name='Jameson' date='10 July 2010 - 12:21 AM' timestamp='1278735684' post='2566274']
[quote name='SVTmike' date='29 June 2010 - 02:32 AM' timestamp='1277793171' post='2543999']
[quote name='TheNatural72' date='29 June 2010 - 12:47 AM' timestamp='1277790475' post='2543776']
[/quote]

Superstitious much? LOL It's obviously not as bad as switching the types of balls out, but that doesn't make it right.
[/quote]

I actually go up to an employee or manager and ask them to come help me for a moment. Then ask them if it would be OK if I switch out the #3-#4 balls in one box for the #1-#2 balls. I have gotten "Sure go ahead" and I have gotten rejected. In which case I buy them anyway. I make it clear that they are the same model/price/e.t.c.

If titleist would allow me to order a dozen or two with these numbers WITHOUT CHARGING AN ADDED FEE AND RIDCULOUS MINIMUM ORDER it would stop. This is not the same as STEALING. It is the same item.
[/quote]

Titleist charges $1/dozen to do this with no minimum order...

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

Cheaper? Titleist and others have "price fixing" going on where you cannot sell their stuff below a certain price without permission. Yes, they call it something else because price fixing is illegal, but it's effectively the same thing. Ever notice how the discounts and coupons for golf stores always exclude certain brands like Titleist & Ping?

Anyway, my point is a ProV is the same price at Walmart as it is at GolfSmith as it is at Academy for example.

Lastly, this thread really bums me out. I knew people were crappy, but I thought maybe golfers were a little better than this.

EDIT: Spelling

[quote name='stevestrike' date='12 July 2010 - 06:19 PM' timestamp='1278973179' post='2571442']
Cheaper? Titleist and others have "price fixing" going on where you cannot sell their stuff below a certain price without permission. Yes, they call it something else because price fixing is illegal, but it's effectively the same thing. Ever notice how the discounts and coupons for golf stores always exclude certain brands like Titleist & Ping?

Anyway, my point is a ProV is the same price at Walmart as it is at GolfSmith as it is at Academy for example.

Lastly, this thread really bums me out. I knew people were crappy, but I thought maybe golfers were a little better than this.

[/quote]

It's called Minimum Advertised Price (MAP). Stores cannot "advertise" the products at prices below a set level. I'm not sure what the OEM's are allowed to define "advertising" as, but I'm sure it's very broad (I bet they can call the price tag "advertising"). Basically a store will lose it's account if they break MAP rules.

[quote name='Jameson' date='10 July 2010 - 12:21 AM' timestamp='1278735684' post='2566274']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I look at it as stealing. You are changing the way the item is being sold. When I buy a box of balls I expect them to have 1's,2's,3's and 4's in the box. When I get home and they are all 3's and 4's now I have to accept that or return them to get what I expected to get. If you want all the same numbers then you should buy them by the sleeve and pay the higher sleeve price for them. If they want to give you a box price for buying four sleeves then that is you and the stores business. When I get home and my box has been swapped out then I am ripped off and did not get what I thought I was buying. There is a local golf store that has a huge display of sleeve balls. I asked them why the big display and they said alot of people prefer a certain number ball so to keep them from swapping out boxes they offer sleeves and allow you to pick your numbers. Of course you pay more and they don't give you a break on how many sleeves you buy. I buy my balls from there because I know the full boxes aren't swapped out.

[quote name='Greenie' date='12 July 2010 - 09:15 PM' timestamp='1278983727' post='2571804']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I look at it as stealing. You are changing the way the item is being sold. When I buy a box of balls I expect them to have 1's,2's,3's and 4's in the box. When I get home and they are all 3's and 4's now I have to accept that or return them to get what I expected to get. If you want all the same numbers then you should buy them by the sleeve and pay the higher sleeve price for them. If they want to give you a box price for buying four sleeves then that is you and the stores business. When I get home and my box has been swapped out then I am ripped off and did not get what I thought I was buying. There is a local golf store that has a huge display of sleeve balls. I asked them why the big display and they said alot of people prefer a certain number ball so to keep them from swapping out boxes they offer sleeves and allow you to pick your numbers. Of course you pay more and they don't give you a break on how many sleeves you buy. I buy my balls from there because I know the full boxes aren't swapped out.
[/quote]

Well frankly, it does not matter how you look at it. Only the way YOUR GOVERNMENT looks at it.

I suggest registering and going to your local voting booth to change things. If you think that will work, i have a bridge that is for sale too...

regardless, you mention that you have figured out a way to get what you want buying by the sleeve. Why are you still complaining? i dont have that option

JC

JC

[quote name='stevestrike' date='11 July 2010 - 11:04 AM' timestamp='1278860697' post='2568491']
Someone made the good point of why does Wal-mart even carry the $40+ balls? Who goes to Wal-mart for high-end golf gear?
[/quote]

I buy [b]balls [/b]there since I have a Wal-mart three blocks from my home. Unfortunatley, the closest golf store (for me) is 20 miles away.

This is an old scam .....

As a cashier at a B&M in the Chicago suburbs 15 years ago, we had to open every box of balls that a customer brought up to purchase to ensure that someone had not replaced the sleeves of balls inside. The store and unsuspecting customers had been burned on this too many times so they made the box of ball check mandatory for all the cashiers. We then became responsible to the store for the loss if we failed to check. Yuck.

It is a shame to see that this still happens.

Adams XTD, 9*, Matrix 7Q3 Red Tie X-Flex
TEE CB4 3W, 15*, Aldila RIP 70X
TEE CB4 2H/3H, 17*/19*, Aldila RIP 80X
TM-J Burner Forged 5-9 KBS-C Taper, S+
TM TPxFT 50*, 54* and 60*
Scotty Cameron Red X2 3-dot lawsuit

[quote name='stevestrike' date='12 July 2010 - 03:19 PM' timestamp='1278973179' post='2571442']

[color="#ff0000"]Lastly, this thread really bums me out. I knew people were crappy, but I thought maybe golfers were a little better than this.[/color]

[/quote]

Yep, me too. As the OP, one thing it's thought me is that "golf" although is suppose to be an honorable game, has no real honor among the people who steal bags, clubs or switch balls in a store. These scumbags are always among us and if this thread has a lesson in it - always check your balls down to each and every sleeve before you leave the shop otherwise you're on your own.

Ok folks, let's cut out the Walmart vs the world deal and get back on topic....:good:

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing