2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

The Big Review – Titleist 910 D2 and D3 Drivers

[quote name='oktravis' timestamp='1291681432' post='2827117']
when will Titleist release the 910 D2 & D3 in regular flex shafts and 10.5 lofts?
[/quote]

the 10.5 are already released...in both D2 and D3.

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5 Project X Denali Black 60S Driver

Callaway AI Smoke TD Tensei AV White 75 Stiff 3 Wood

Callaway Apex UW 19 & 21 deg MMT 70 Stiff Hybrids

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 5-PW Project X IO 5.5 Irons

Cleveland RTX 6 48.10, 54.10, 60.12 TI DG Spinner Wedges

Ping Oslo 4 PLD Putter

TaylorMade TP5

Vessel Lux XV 2.0 Black Cart Bag

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did the hit 'n fit last night, with all the stock shafts. Have I really found the one to usurp the 905R/UST V2? The D3/RIP 60 (9.5° & D4 setting) was 10 yards longer and almost 3x tighter (dispersion-wise).

Interesting note that the D3/'ahina was the only other combination to out-perform the 905R/UST V2. Same distances, but better (less) dispersion. I didn't care for the kai'li shaft or the D2 head at all. YMMV, of course.

I intend to do one more fitting session, this time btwn the RIP 60 & 'ahina shafts only, in the D3 head.

Non-compensated Titleist staffer

[quote name='JinxyJ08' timestamp='1291686063' post='2827281']
You outta hit one with a TP7HD then. It's a WMD.
[/quote]

I have not given it a try yet, but the numbers I get with the new Kaili are unreal. The new stiffer tip they put in the blueboard is great. We can be honest, thats all the Kaili is. And its great.

Great driver, Titleist has found the magic again that was once known as the 905R. I am currently playing the D2 10.5 degree wtih the lighter red Diamana shaft (I hit it round 250 on avg). Great set up at address, very easy to draw and fade. The acoustics are great, not the usual loud, obnoxious titanium sound (i.e. Cobra). Have found the driver to be forgiving as well, mishits still get out there. Hit it smooth and on the middle and the ball has a great penetrating trajectory. Previous driver is an R9 460, 10.5 degree, Diamana Blue Board. Picked up the D2 for $349.00 at the base golf course, no sales tax either. Couldn't pass it up. FYI, 16 handicap....love the driver, very playable, unlike some past offerings from Titleist.

I'm tronna have that...

*The NE Florida Golf Realtor*

Titleist TSi3 9 deg / PX Hazardous Smoke Black RDX

Titleist 915 F 15 deg / Diamana 70
Titleist TSi2 18 deg Hybrid / PX Hazardous Smoke Black RDX
Titleist T100 / Project X 6.0

Titleist Vokey SM5 50/8F

Titleist Vokey SM9 54/10S 58/10S

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport

[quote name='noblades4me' timestamp='1291873278' post='2831368']
There is a chart that has all the shafts on a graph with spin on one axis and launch on the other. Have no idea where I saw it. Can someone please provide me witha link?
[/quote]

[url="http://www.titleist.com/images/products/pdfs/2011_Titleist_Custom_Options.pdf"]Titleist shaft comparison[/url]

[size="2"]fyi......from twitter, Mcilroy has his 910 D2 set at C-2 RT

Rory Mcilroy
McIlroyRory Rory Mcilroy
C-2 RT @Kickdrum81 @McIlroyRory hey Rory what setting do you have your 910 d2 driver?

[/size]

Titleist Tsi4 / Callaway 4w /Call Hy/ Call UT 3i /Srixon z745 4-P /Vokey Wedgeworks 50m+56v /Cameron Newport 

I thought the 910D3 was a nice driver but having tried all the production shafts it still wasn't as long as my i15 with a GD Tour AD-DI. So I ordered one of those for the 910D3 (Tour AD-DI7) in X flex. Instant distance gain. The 910 is now a definite competitor to the i15 with the same shaft. The bad news is like many of the upgrades it wasn't cheap ($290). I also got the 5 weight set. Looks like Titleist color codes the weights and doesn't write them on the weight (that I could find). Red is 9 gram. You get 5 different colors (weights) 2, 5, 7, 9, 12 which can cover a large range of shaft weights and or desireable swingweights. The little kit in a plastic long ovoid shaped holder runs $40. Three weight on one side two on the other.

[quote name='Bob57' timestamp='1292114884' post='2836033']
I thought the 910D3 was a nice driver but having tried all the production shafts it still wasn't as long as my i15 with a GD Tour AD-DI. So I ordered one of those for the 910D3 (Tour AD-DI7) in X flex. Instant distance gain. The 910 is now a definite competitor to the i15 with the same shaft. The bad news is like many of the upgrades it wasn't cheap ($290). I also got the 5 weight set. Looks like Titleist color codes the weights and doesn't write them on the weight (that I could find). Red is 9 gram. You get 5 different colors (weights) 2, 5, 7, 9, 12 which can cover a large range of shaft weights and or desireable swingweights. The little kit in a plastic long ovoid shaped holder runs $40. Three weight on one side two on the other.
[/quote]

did you demo the weights and what did that do to the ballflight etc.

[size=4][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]DRIVER[/b]- Callaway Rogue Oban Tour Limited 60s
[b]3 WOOD[/b]- GBB Epic Oban Kiyoshi Gold 75s
[b]HYBRID[/b]- Titleist 818 H1 19/23 Hybrid Atmos HB Tour Spec 85s
[b]IRONS[/b]- Srixon 765/565 Nippon Modus 105s
[b]GAP[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 52 Modus 105
[b]SAND[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 54 Modus 105
[b]LOB[/b]- Callaway MD3 Chrome 58 Modus 105
[b]PUTTER[/b]- Bettinardi Queen Bee #6
[b]BALL[/b]- Callaway Chrome Soft X[/font][/size]

[quote name='hurricanes7' timestamp='1292116205' post='2836071']
[quote name='Bob57' timestamp='1292114884' post='2836033']
[/quote]

did you demo the weights and what did that do to the ballflight etc.
[/quote]

I really didn't see any difference in ballflight. I tried all 5 different weights (as the driver already had a 9 gram in it). Basically the it was mostly head feel according to the swingweight each weight changed it by. The 12 was way too heavy and the 2 and 5 seemed too light so I went with the 7 gram which was 2 less than the standard weight it came with (rip shaft). I didn't measure the swing weight just went by the feel.. The weights have a distinct difference under the head compared to others weights. It might have something to do with the head acoustics as the sound did vary slightly with the different weights.

Good review. However, the marketing isn't really doing it for me. I've been keen on this driver for a while and also I have gone full circle with my clubs in recent years. I have always gravitated back to Titleist. The marketing isn't over the top as some other companies, but Titleist dives you feeling of confidence through good results. I would expect the club to have a similar feel to their previous drivers, so making decisions on shaft options would be the only task. I'll see how I go with the D2 and the Attas X.

Cleveland TL310 8.5 Grafalloy Old Blue X
Baldo Competzione 18*  Graf Old Blue X

Baldo Competzione 21* UST Elements Chrome X
Cleveland 588 Pro CB KBS Tour X 4-PW
Ping Glide 3.0 50*  KBS T X, Baldo 54/ 58 KBS Tour X
Wilson 8802
TM TP5

Tested a 8.5* 910D3 with the Titleist Ahina X yesterday. It is a sweet combo and the Ahina made for Titleist may be the best made for shaft ever produced. I didn't try any other shaft offering because they only had them in stiff. What I did find interesting was, the fitter installed a lighter weight in the head and it reduced my spin by 450. The 910 looks and feels better than my 909 to me, but my numbers were the same with both drivers. I'll probably wait until next season before I upgrade. The 909 fitted with the correct shaft for your swing is just as good as the 910 IMO.

Mizuno STZ 220 9.5* Hzrdus Black 65
Callaway Epic 15* Evenflow Black 85 
Titleist 818H1 21* Fujikura Atmos TS Blue 80
Titleist 710 CB 4-PW Dynamic Gold TI X100
Vokey SM5 54 & 58 Tour Issue S400
Odyssey O-Works 1 Wide
Titleist Pro V1x

[quote name='bigdaddy78' timestamp='1292163131' post='2836693']
Tested a 8.5* 910D3 with the Titleist Ahina X yesterday. It is a sweet combo and the Ahina made for Titleist may be the best made for shaft ever produced. I didn't try any other shaft offering because they only had them in stiff. What I did find interesting was, the fitter installed a lighter weight in the head and it reduced my spin by 450. The 910 looks and feels better than my 909 to me, but my numbers were the same with both drivers. I'll probably wait until next season before I upgrade. The 909 fitted with the correct shaft for your swing is just as good as the 910 IMO.
[/quote]

what was the change in weight, how big of a difference? did it change ball flight?

[size=4][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]DRIVER[/b]- Callaway Rogue Oban Tour Limited 60s
[b]3 WOOD[/b]- GBB Epic Oban Kiyoshi Gold 75s
[b]HYBRID[/b]- Titleist 818 H1 19/23 Hybrid Atmos HB Tour Spec 85s
[b]IRONS[/b]- Srixon 765/565 Nippon Modus 105s
[b]GAP[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 52 Modus 105
[b]SAND[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 54 Modus 105
[b]LOB[/b]- Callaway MD3 Chrome 58 Modus 105
[b]PUTTER[/b]- Bettinardi Queen Bee #6
[b]BALL[/b]- Callaway Chrome Soft X[/font][/size]

I played my D3 w/ the Project X and felt that I lost a lot of distance compared to my TM Superdeep RIP. The Project X is pretty accurate though as far as not sending the ball all over the place.

I just swapped my D3 shaft after the round to the RIP. When I got fitted, it looked like the Project X was a better fit on spin, launch, etc. I went back to the RIP since I also bomb that shaft with my Superdeep.

Anyone here at all feel like the D3 or D2 isn't as long as the driver you were playing previously? I'm hoping it's not the head of the D3 and just the shaft that is dropping my distance.

e

My 910D2 w/ 74g Kai'li hit the ball lower than my Cobra L4V w/ Accra XXIV but not any farther. I went back to the Cobra L4V for now, will tip my Kai'li 1", then try to game the D2 again.

For some reason, I keep hitting the D2 on the heel. But when I alternate hitting both the D2 and L4V, I didn't hit the L4V on the heel at all.
[quote name='erwintrace08' timestamp='1292223920' post='2838230']
Anyone here at all feel like the D3 or D2 isn't as long as the driver you were playing previously? I'm hoping it's not the head of the D3 and just the shaft that is dropping my distance.

e
[/quote]

I played my D3 w/ the Project X and felt that I lost a lot of distance compared to my TM Superdeep RIP. The Project X is pretty accurate though as far as not sending the ball all over the place.

I just swapped my D3 shaft after the round to the RIP. When I got fitted, it looked like the Project X was a better fit on spin, launch, etc. I went back to the RIP since I also bomb that shaft with my Superdeep.

e
[/quote]

I demoed all the stock versions of the 910, including about 8 rounds with 910 demos, and settled on the D3 9.5 with PX. I had been playing the Bridgestone J38 with a Motore F1. It's the longest driver I'd ever had, or hit. However, I generally play a slight draw. The J38 goes farthest for me with a power fade. That's not real natural for me, but when I need distance, that's what I hit. Occasionally, I over cut it and lose distance. So, I play a draw mostly knowing that I can hit the fairway and still be fairly long. For me, the D3 with the PX is just as long as the J38. But, it goes longer for me with a draw, my natural shot shape. With the 910 I am longer on every hole because I can hit my natural shot and get the most length. The longest 910 drive vs. the longest J38 drive, probably the same. In a single round with the 910 over the J38, I probably gain 10 to 15 yards on 6 to 9 fairways and I hit the center of more fairways with the 910. So, for me it's relative, more confidence, more accuracy and better length all around in a real round of golf.

[quote name='hurricanes7' timestamp='1292198590' post='2837606']
[quote name='bigdaddy78' timestamp='1292163131' post='2836693']
[/quote]

what was the change in weight, how big of a difference? did it change ball flight?
[/quote]

It was the lightest weight available. Not sure what the actual swing weight was? I only hit it twice in that set up but it did lower the spin but did not lower the launch.

Mizuno STZ 220 9.5* Hzrdus Black 65
Callaway Epic 15* Evenflow Black 85 
Titleist 818H1 21* Fujikura Atmos TS Blue 80
Titleist 710 CB 4-PW Dynamic Gold TI X100
Vokey SM5 54 & 58 Tour Issue S400
Odyssey O-Works 1 Wide
Titleist Pro V1x

What kinda ball flight differences are we looking at in terms of yards left to right say for example from A1 (stock) to all the way 1.5 upright at A2? 5 yard draw? 10 yards?

Titleist TSi2 10° w/Ventus Blue 6x w/VeloCore

Titleist TSi2 15° w/Ventus Blue 7x w/VeloCore
Titleist TSi2 21° w/Ventus Blue 8x w/VeloCore
Titleist T100S (2021) 4-PW w/PX LZ 6.0
Vokey SM8 Raw 52.12F, 56.10S, and 60.08M
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5 34"
Pro V1

[quote name='putt4_66' timestamp='1292272490' post='2839013']

e
[/quote]

I demoed all the stock versions of the 910, including about 8 rounds with 910 demos, and settled on the D3 9.5 with PX. I had been playing the Bridgestone J38 with a Motore F1. It's the longest driver I'd ever had, or hit. However, I generally play a slight draw. The J38 goes farthest for me with a power fade. That's not real natural for me, but when I need distance, that's what I hit. Occasionally, I over cut it and lose distance. So, I play a draw mostly knowing that I can hit the fairway and still be fairly long. For me, the D3 with the PX is just as long as the J38. But, it goes longer for me with a draw, my natural shot shape. With the 910 I am longer on every hole because I can hit my natural shot and get the most length. The longest 910 drive vs. the longest J38 drive, probably the same. In a single round with the 910 over the J38, I probably gain 10 to 15 yards on 6 to 9 fairways and I hit the center of more fairways with the 910. So, for me it's relative, more confidence, more accuracy and better length all around in a real round of golf.
[/quote]

That's great to know. I just tried my RIP in the 910 and love it. It's not as long yet as the RIP in my Superdeep, but it's more accurate. I'd rather be in the fairway ;)

Thanks for the responses.

e