2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

The Big Review – Titleist 910 D2 and D3 Drivers

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='mosesgolf' timestamp='1293951222' post='2870442']
Was hitting my 909D2 w/ RIP 60x great and tried the 910D2 w/ RIP60 stiff and was hitting hit all over the map. The setting was at the most open and flat (C1) and I just kept hitting pull hooks with it. Obviously, it was the shaft. It just goes to show that getting properly fit with a driver is tantamount to success. However, when I did get some good drives out of the 910D2, it was fantastic. As far as distance goes, there is no difference between the other good drivers out there.
[/quote]

Obviously it was your swing, or something. ;)

I just put the D2 vs. D3 today and for some reason the D2 felt significantly more solid than the D3. I'll go with the D3 all day on looks, but I think the D2 is about as solid as they come for me.

My apologies if I skipped over someones post, but I have yet to see anyone post about increased ball speeds. Anyone have comparison ball speed numbers from previous drivers to 910?

PING G410 LST 9* w/Mitsubishi Diamana DF 70x
PING G410 5w, -1.5* w/Mitsubishi Diamana 80x
PING iBlades 3-PW w/DG X100
PING Glide Forged 50,54,60 w/DG X100
PING Cushin, Wrx Special ;) 

Over the past 2-3 years, I danced with many different drivers never really falling for any of them since my 10.5 Degree 905R with a V2 X flex shaft. I played the R9 TP, Ping Rapture, Ping G10, and an Adams 9015D. I probably would have liked the 9015D if I would have saw a fitter and got a better shaft put in it; the stock was a noodle.

I got excited about the reviews I was reading about the 910. I have a 113-115 Driver swing speed and play to a +1 handicap. At times my driver is my best club. On other days, it hampers me with a shot which works left. I worked with an experienced club fitter at GolfSmith for 2 separate days to find the right fit. I REALLY, REALLY LIKE THE FACT YOU CAN ORDER A TOUR QUALITY SHAFT AT NO UPCHARGE WITH TITLEIST. :yahoo: When Titleist came out with the 909 series I wrote them and told them they should have included a decent quality stock shaft for the better player...but I digress.

On the 2nd day, I was fit to a 9.5 Project X 7b3 (6.5) tour issue shaft and placed the setting at .75 deree upright with +.75 loft. Can you say 295 please? I'm going to have to wait for 3 weeks to get in the custom order but I can't say enough about the flexibility I felt as a consumer in purchasing the right driver for me. Also, be sure to get fit...it's worth every penny to pay extra and have a fitter work with you than presume you've got the right fit and loft.

(John 3:16)

• 2 weeks later...

Bit the bullet on Sunday and got my D2 8.5 with Project X 7C3 on Tuesday. Took it to the range on Tuesday night and on the second shot smashed it into a cross brace in the roof (only the first and last bays have them, I'd never encountered the problem before). Good news is the damage is only superficial and won't be noticeable by the time I've sorted it.
The really good news is I took it on the course today and fell in love. As long as anything I've ever hit; the best was 307 with a tail wind but on a very wet course; the average was 240. But more important than the length was the fairways I was hitting; unheard of, and the consequence of hitting those fairways was a lower score. It could be the start of something special.
Got it set at B2.

Mizuno ST-X 220 10.5 Aldila Ascent Stiff

Mizuno ST230 16*  UST LINQ

Mizuno JPX Fli_HI #4 20* UST Recoil F3

Mizuno JPX Fli_HI #5 22.5* UST Recoil F3

Mizuno MP 5 5- PW TTDG 95 stiff

Mizuno T22 50 KBS $ Taper Lite
Mizuno T22 56 KBS $ Taper Lite
Mizuno M Craft OMOI #1

I've noticed that for what it's worth.. Setting it on the higher loft, and .75 flat, the club really isn't any more closed than some I've seen OTR...

I think it's attributed to the .5* stock open setting, allowing you to still raise the loft and not quite look like it's going to duck left on ya...

I'm enjoying me alot, and can't wait to get my FD and H in 2 weeks.

[quote name='nichho' timestamp='1294940129' post='2894042']
Bit the bullet on Sunday and got my D2 8.5 with Project X 7C3 on Tuesday. Took it to the range on Tuesday night and on the second shot smashed it into a cross brace in the roof (only the first and last bays have them, I'd never encountered the problem before). Good news is the damage is only superficial and won't be noticeable by the time I've sorted it.
The really good news is I took it on the course today and fell in love. As long as anything I've ever hit; the best was 307 with a tail wind but on a very wet course; the average was 240. But more important than the length was the fairways I was hitting; unheard of, and the consequence of hitting those fairways was a lower score. It could be the start of something special.
Got it set at B2.
[/quote]

I'm looking at the D2 as well with same shaft as you, though been leaning towards the 10,5 lofted version. I'm a bit worried a lower loft wouldnt get it airborn properly with this shaft.

What SS do you have, if you dont mind me asking? I'm around 105-110, and hit the ball higher than average, but just like the confidence created by the increase in loft and hitting area visibility. Reading your post, and others makes me think a 9.5 might be better for me.

Qwik

Stll waiting on my 910D3/8.5* with PX 7B3(ordered last Monday)..

How long did it take for the club to arrive for you guys??

I JUST CAN'T WAIT ANY LONGER!!!

COBRA LTDx LS 9* 

Taylormade P790 2 Iron
Taylormade P790 3 - 4 Irons 
Taylormade P750 5 - 6 Irons 
Taylormade P730 7 - 9 Irons
ARTISAN GOLF 0318 mallet

ARTISAN GOLF custom grind 45* wedge 

ARTISAN GOLF custom grind 50* wedge
ARTISAN GOLF custom grind 55* wedge

Hello Everyone,

I am also looking for some pre-fitting advice. I plan to purchase a 910D3 in the next month or so, but wanted some shaft advice.

I've been gaming a Hibore XL Tour with a VS Proto 70X-stiff for a couple years now. When I was in a driving funk, I tried switching out to a Blueboard 73 stiff and it was horrible. Now I am back to killing it with the VS Proto. My usual ballflight is a medium height 15 yard fade (clubface is open 3.5*) with lots of run. My SS is 108-112 with a very hard transition at the top. My miss is a block right when I don't get my weight forward enough and my hands try to protect against the hook I've been fighting for years.

The XL Tour is a very low spin head, which is why it matches best for me with a slightly medium launch, medium spin shaft. I am looking at the D3 for the adjustability to maybe bring out a slight draw when I need it.

I don't want to add much to the $400 price, so I am trying to get an idea based on the shaft offerings that have no upcharge. I am scared off of the Diamana's because the softer butt section doesn't work at all with my transition and feels terrible. But I don't know if the newer ones are vastly different.

Any suggestions? I am not afraid of a boardy feel or an X-stiff shaft (basically because most stiffs don't handle my transition very well). Thanks!!!

I just got fitted for a 910 D3, 9.5º with an X Flex 83 Gram Diamana A'hina. I'm a little nervous about the "made for" A'hina but the numbers were a bit better than the Project X for me. I've never been fitted before and was excited to learn that my numbers are pretty good! I've been hitting a 909 D3, 8.5º with an X Flex Proforce V2 but I've noticed lately that my ballflight is a bit low due to some swing changes I've been making and it seems like I'm losing distance because of it. The fitter told me that switching to the 9.5º head will get me an extra 10 yards! Very cool. Besides, I can always ratchet the loft down if I feel like it.
Here's my numbers in case you're wondering (I know you are, ha ha)
SS-108-115
Launch- 13º
Spin- 2400
Ballspeed- 165
Attack Angle- 1.2
Carry- 275

Can't wait to get my new driver!!

[quote name='aaronsnow' timestamp='1295063358' post='2897824']
I just got fitted for a 910 D3, 9.5º with an X Flex 83 Gram Diamana A'hina. I'm a little nervous about the "made for" A'hina but the numbers were a bit better than the Project X for me. I've never been fitted before and was excited to learn that my numbers are pretty good! I've been hitting a 909 D3, 8.5º with an X Flex Proforce V2 but I've noticed lately that my ballflight is a bit low due to some swing changes I've been making and it seems like I'm losing distance because of it. The fitter told me that switching to the 9.5º head will get me an extra 10 yards! Very cool. Besides, I can always ratchet the loft down if I feel like it.
SS-108-115
Launch- 13º
Spin- 2400
Ballspeed- 165
Attack Angle- 1.2
Carry- 275

[/quote]

Don't be worried about the made for Ahina...very good shaft! Which seems to fit you well

[quote name='aaronsnow' timestamp='1295063358' post='2897824']
SS-108-115
Launch- 13º
Spin- 2400
Ballspeed- 165
Attack Angle- 1.2
Carry- 275

[/quote]

Those are very good numbers. These "made for" shafts for Titleist are good shafts and I would not be concerned. Have fun with the new driver.

[quote name='fighting_irish' timestamp='1295018342' post='2896325']
Good review. Even if my 907 was slightly bashed in the process. :crazy:
[/quote]
I have to call it like I see it, and (in my opinion :-)) the 907 D1 was a bit of a stinker compared to the 905 and the 907 D2 was not really an improvement. Titleist went for the geometry angle and it did not quite come off.

And you wouldn't want a review to be nothing but positive would you? That would be so dull :lazy2: and people would only have half an idea of what a piece of kit was like!

[quote name='Qwiksilfver' timestamp='1294959504' post='2894901']
Got it set at B2.
[/quote]

I'm looking at the D2 as well with same shaft as you, though been leaning towards the 10,5 lofted version. I'm a bit worried a lower loft wouldnt get it airborn properly with this shaft.

What SS do you have, if you dont mind me asking? I'm around 105-110, and hit the ball higher than average, but just like the confidence created by the increase in loft and hitting area visibility. Reading your post, and others makes me think a 9.5 might be better for me.

Qwik
[/quote]

Sorry I have no idea what my swing speed is (banned forever from golfwrx for that crime) I try stuff and determine what I like from what I see and feel. I suspect that it isn't that fast to be honest and I've always felt that the distance I get is from loading the shaft - who knows.
What I can say is that I tried a 9.5 with this spec and was worried about the trajectory being too high so I figured that with the 8.5 if it turned out to be too low I'd just wind it up a notch; I can get it as high as 10 degrees. It's not too low its perfect; I did try it at C3 (+0.75) and it did climb uncomfortably high but that's the beauty of this thing, its adjustability.
Got to say, the shaft is a gem

Mizuno ST-X 220 10.5 Aldila Ascent Stiff

Mizuno ST230 16*  UST LINQ

Mizuno JPX Fli_HI #4 20* UST Recoil F3

Mizuno JPX Fli_HI #5 22.5* UST Recoil F3

Mizuno MP 5 5- PW TTDG 95 stiff

Mizuno T22 50 KBS $ Taper Lite
Mizuno T22 56 KBS $ Taper Lite
Mizuno M Craft OMOI #1

[quote name='nichho' timestamp='1295096542' post='2898176']
Got it set at B2.
[/quote]

Qwik
[/quote]

Sorry I have no idea what my swing speed is (banned forever from golfwrx for that crime) I try stuff and determine what I like from what I see and feel. I suspect that it isn't that fast to be honest and I've always felt that the distance I get is from loading the shaft - who knows.
What I can say is that I tried a 9.5 with this spec and was worried about the trajectory being too high so I figured that with the 8.5 if it turned out to be too low I'd just wind it up a notch; I can get it as high as 10 degrees. It's not too low its perfect; I did try it at C3 (+0.75) and it did climb uncomfortably high but that's the beauty of this thing, its adjustability.

[/quote]

Thanx again, really helpful even without the swing speed :).

Now going for the 9.5 head.

[quote name='Qwiksilfver' timestamp='1295135780' post='2899207']
Got it set at B2.
[/quote]

Qwik
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

might be a silly question. how do i close the face and encourage a draw but not increase the loft? i tried changing the face angle and all i got was a higher ballflight. any solutions to that except for getting an 8.5 head and starting from that?

[size=4][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]DRIVER[/b]- Callaway Rogue Oban Tour Limited 60s
[b]3 WOOD[/b]- GBB Epic Oban Kiyoshi Gold 75s
[b]HYBRID[/b]- Titleist 818 H1 19/23 Hybrid Atmos HB Tour Spec 85s
[b]IRONS[/b]- Srixon 765/565 Nippon Modus 105s
[b]GAP[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 52 Modus 105
[b]SAND[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 54 Modus 105
[b]LOB[/b]- Callaway MD3 Chrome 58 Modus 105
[b]PUTTER[/b]- Bettinardi Queen Bee #6
[b]BALL[/b]- Callaway Chrome Soft X[/font][/size]

[quote name='hurricanes7' timestamp='1295140863' post='2899360']
Got it set at B2.
[/quote]

Qwik
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

might be a silly question. how do i close the face and encourage a draw but not increase the loft? i tried changing the face angle and all i got was a higher ballflight. any solutions to that except for getting an 8.5 head and starting from that?

[/quote]

Unfortunately, I don't believe you can independently adjust the face angle without increasing the loft.

Honestly, If I were you, I'd learn more about the "New" ball flight laws. I've been working with a few people that have trouble hitting draws and have been trying to educate them about what causes a fade vs. what causes a draw. If you understand how to hit a draw, you'll have no problem turning this club over from Right to Left... Just trying to help out.

The face angle isn't going to "promote" a draw unless you struggle with an open club face. If you consistently struggle with a fade or slice, then you need to work on your path. The face angle at impact only affects the starting direction of the ball once hit. The swing path has everything to do with the curvature.

Good Luck.

TM '17 M2 9.5* - Accra Tour Z X465 M4
PING G5 - Aldila NV75S

TM MC 3-PW - DG S300
Titleist Vokey SM4 52/56/60
Scotty Cameron TEI3

[quote name='GetmeouttaJersey' timestamp='1295143042' post='2899419']
Got it set at B2.
[/quote]

Qwik
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Unfortunately, I don't believe you can independently adjust the face angle without increasing the loft.

Honestly, If I were you, I'd learn more about the "New" ball flight laws. I've been working with a few people that have trouble hitting draws and have been trying to educate them about what causes a fade vs. what causes a draw. If you understand how to hit a draw, you'll have no problem turning this club over from Right to Left... Just trying to help out.

The face angle isn't going to "promote" a draw unless you struggle with an open club face. If you consistently struggle with a fade or slice, then you need to work on your path. The face angle at impact only affects the starting direction of the ball once hit. The swing path has everything to do with the curvature.

Good Luck.

[/quote]

i just hitting pushes, not slices with my current adams 9032LS with axiv red 79. i believe the shaft is too heavy for me. i was hoping to get the PX shaft because it is lighter and close the face a little bit to encourage a draw. i was just wondering how to close the face without hitting it higher? is that even possible?

[size=4][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]DRIVER[/b]- Callaway Rogue Oban Tour Limited 60s

Really great review. Many thanks. I'v been a Titleist Driver guy for many years, lately a 9.5 D3. Unfortunately, along came a Superdeep, am blew my D3 ritht out of my bag onto the used club shelves at my local shop.
Actulally I'm really hoping that the 910 D3 will be good enough to return the favor to TM. But, It will be April be for we have an outdoor Demo Day in central MO or Colorado where I play all my golf. So I am waiting, and not very patiently for the snow to go away. :dntknw:

I test drove the d2 tonight with the Ahina shaft in S and X flex and found the made for shafts to be pretty good. I play a TM R9 with a x flex shaft and found the Ahina in S flex to be comparable in flex. I think the TM shafts may be a tad watered down. Looks like 9.5 D2 for me with Ahina 72 in S flex. I would like to try the D3 before pulling the trigger.

JB

Great review, Titleist might finally have a drive I dont mind giving a shot to end up in my bag.

9 Callaway Epic Max LS - Diamana White Board 65x but looking around
13.5 Titleist 913F - Diamana ahina 80x
18, 21, & 24 Adams Super DHy Hybrid - Matrix Ozik White Tie Stiff
4-PW PXG 0311T ver2 - KBS 120 Tour
50 Vokey SM6 - DG S200
54 Vokey SM4 - DG S200
56 Vokey SM2 - DG S200 -beater
60 Vokey SM2 - DG S200
Toulon Garage San Diego

• 4 weeks later...

Another fan of the Titleist D2 here, I hit it multiple times whilst testing drivers. Results were always excellent, distance wise, I hit everything the same sort of distance give or take a couple of yards, but accuracy is where this driver really shines for me. I have a pretty average swing speed of 98 mph and on the launch monitor I was getting a very consistent launch angle of 12.5*, 2200 rpm spin, carry 240 yards. The range I was testing has a flag right at 240 yards and I was peppering it. I now have one in the bag. D2 with made for Kai'Li in a stiff set to D1 setting. Awesome!

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Tour Edge Exotics C722
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix 

Got it set at B2.
[/quote]

Qwik
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Good Luck.

[/quote]

how about if i have no curve to my ball, just a straight right push. but i draw every other club in my bag? obviously the face is open for it to go dead right, but i have an inside out swing path. now what

[quote name='hurricanes7' timestamp='1297811602' post='2980293']
Got it set at B2.
[/quote]

Qwik
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Good Luck.

[/quote]

how about if i have no curve to my ball, just a straight right push. but i draw every other club in my bag? obviously the face is open for it to go dead right, but i have an inside out swing path. now what
[/quote]

Have some lessons and work on a minor swing change with the driver? Or aim a bit left?