The Big Review – Titleist 910 D2 and D3 Drivers

[quote name='Islander' timestamp='1289765311' post='2790058']
[quote name='kevcarter ' timestamp='1289764126' post='2790032']
[quote name='Islander' timestamp='1289756098' post='2789869']
There is some bad information floating around here....the face angle does change with loft adjustments.

A1 setting is .5 open....you can change the lie without changing the loft/face angle

I added .75 of loft to my D3 which makes it sit dead square in my eyes
[/quote]

Are you sure?

[attachment=683585:Titleist 910 Hosel Chart.jpg]
[/quote]

Yes...the face angle changes when loft is adjusted

The chart shows effective loft with a square face at impact

Check the chart on page 2

Or I can show you pictures of my driver in different settings

[url="http://www.titleist.com/images/products/pdfs/910_drivers.pdf"]http://www.titleist....910_drivers.pdf[/url]
[/quote]

Actually i would love to see the different loft settings and what it does to face angle. Lets see the pics!

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='in the red' timestamp='1289573167' post='2786971']
[quote name='puttingmatt' timestamp='1289571076' post='2786924']
The rear weight is also directly behind the centre of the club face so you get the most out of a pure contact and is adjustable with options 2g, 5g, 7g, 9g, 12g. weights allowing precise swingweight and feel preference.

What does this mean ? Will I be able to change the weight, or is this
a factory weight that I request ??
[/quote]

Stock, the weight will depend on the shaft. However, as opposed to in the past, a weight kit will be available for further tweaking. When I get some pics and pricing on the kit, I'll post it up.
[/quote]

The weight is adjustable using the same tool that removes and adjusts the shaft. The driver will come with the kit that includes the tool and the available weights for your customization

[quote name='JinxyJ08' timestamp='1289781710' post='2790496']
There is some bad information floating around here....the face angle does change with loft adjustments.

A1 setting is .5 open....you can change the lie without changing the loft/face angle

[/quote]

Are you sure?

[/quote]

[url="http://www.titleist.com/images/products/pdfs/910_drivers.pdf"]http://www.titleist....910_drivers.pdf[/url]
[/quote]

Actually i would love to see the different loft settings and what it does to face angle. Lets see the pics!
[/quote]

ok islander, shed some light on this for me/us as I am getting even more confused
I believe you, I just dont know how to properly read that loft/lie matrix taking face angle into account. Give us a few hypotheticals using a 8.5 driver. A1 is standard loft, lie and FA is .5* open, correct? You say the face angles change but by how much? What would be loft, lie and face angle be at say, D1, A4, A2 whatever. I just cant wrap my head around this....

[quote name='bjfed' timestamp='1289800328' post='2790957']

[/quote]

Are you sure?

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

ok islander, shed some light on this for me/us as I am getting even more confused
I believe you, I just dont know how to properly read that loft/lie matrix taking face angle into account. Give us a few hypotheticals using a 8.5 driver. A1 is standard loft, lie and FA is .5* open, correct? You say the face angles change but by how much? What would be loft, lie and face angle be at say, D1, A4, A2 whatever. I just cant wrap my head around this....
[/quote]

I'll give it a try since I've toyed with the system a bit last week.

I'll only describe the settings that affects loft since I did not play with the lie (as I don't intend on doing so with mine)

This would be using the RH chart (lefty settings are different)
Keep in mind that opening or closing the face of a driver by 1 degree does not change the loft by a full degree. Titleist says it's 0.75* more/less loft by 1 degree face alterration.

[b]A4: 1.5 degree more loft[/b], Face angle = 0.5 open + 2 degree close = [b]1.5* CLOSED[/b]
[b]D4: 0.75 degree more loft,[/b] Face angle = 0.5 open + 1 degree close = [b]0.5* CLOSED[/b]
[b]A1: Standard lof[/b]t, Face angle = [b]0.5* OPEN[/b]
[b]D1: 0.75 degree less loft[/b], Face angle = 0.5 open + 1 degree open = [b]1.5* OPEN[/b]

Let me know if this sounds right!

Math

[quote name='Mat905s' timestamp='1289834458' post='2791204']

[/quote]

Are you sure?

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I'll only describe the settings that affects loft since I did not play with the lie (as I don't intend on doing so with mine)

Keep in mind that opening or closing the face of a driver by 1 degree does not change the loft by a full degree. Titleist says it's 0.75* more/less loft by 1 degree face alterration.

[b]A4: 1.5 degree more loft[/b], Face angle = 0.5 open + 2 degree close = [b]1.5* CLOSED[/b]
[b]D4: 0.75 degree more loft,[/b] Face angle = 0.5 open + 1 degree close = [b]0.5* CLOSED[/b]
[b]D1: 0.75 degree less loft[/b], Face angle = 0.5 open + 1 degree open = [b]1.5* OPEN[/b]

Math
[/quote]

The Titleist rep said the face angle does not open and close. You can adjust lie and loft. These create a fade or draw bias without opening and closing the face. This is not dramatic like the 30+ Taylormade bias, only about 10 yards. So the standard .5 degree open remains the same. She made a point that the adjustments for lie and loft can be accomplished without changing face angle which is unique vs other adjustable drivers.
Perhaps someone can confirm this.

[quote name='Laneo' timestamp='1289781290' post='2790488']
If anyone has any specific questions, I'm picking mine up tomorrow, custom fit for me, set up for the "D3" setting. PM me or post here if you'd like and I'll try to help. Like a previous user posted, I haven't been this excited in a long time for a new club, especially since I saw the TrackMan results in comparison to my previous driver, and the r9, VR, etc. and it just blew it out of the water, including what they claim it does, increase ball speed, and club head speed, thus creating distance and control.
[/quote]

DO YOU ORDER IT SET IN A POSITION OR DO IT YOURSELF? ALSO, CAN YOU SPECIAL ORDER IT OPEN OR CLOSED OR DOES THE KIT ALLOW YOU TO DO THAT ON YOUR OWN?

[size=4][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]DRIVER[/b]- Callaway Rogue Oban Tour Limited 60s
[b]3 WOOD[/b]- GBB Epic Oban Kiyoshi Gold 75s
[b]HYBRID[/b]- Titleist 818 H1 19/23 Hybrid Atmos HB Tour Spec 85s
[b]IRONS[/b]- Srixon 765/565 Nippon Modus 105s
[b]GAP[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 52 Modus 105
[b]SAND[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 54 Modus 105
[b]LOB[/b]- Callaway MD3 Chrome 58 Modus 105
[b]PUTTER[/b]- Bettinardi Queen Bee #6
[b]BALL[/b]- Callaway Chrome Soft X[/font][/size]

so which is it? I've now read the 910 comes with a weight kit and I've read it cost $30 extra for the weight kit?
I understand the screw driver comes with the driver, but how about the weights that adjust swing weight?

Many Byron Putters
Scratch Don Whites
Scratch Jeff McCoys
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/646544-finalists-witb-452013-damascus-byron-scratch-td/page__hl__%20finalist"]WITB Link[/url]

Math
[/quote]
I don't think it's quite like this. The face angle does not turn anywhere near as much as TM or Nike. I will sort some definitive measurements out for tomorrow.

[quote name='SOONERMAGIC' timestamp='1289845836' post='2791515']
I heard a few of them yesterday at the CMN Classic and they sounded quite similar to the 909. Pretty muted for a driver in 2010. I like it.
[/quote]

i have hit it now on two separate occasions and i would not compare the sound to the 909. as many have described it - much more metallic and quick sounding than the 909. think about ft tour to diablo edge tour in sound. yes, the ft tour is unique and composite but it is much more muted than the det or now the octane tour.

[quote name='hurricanes7' timestamp='1289838098' post='2791291']

DO YOU ORDER IT SET IN A POSITION OR DO IT YOURSELF? ALSO, CAN YOU SPECIAL ORDER IT OPEN OR CLOSED OR DOES THE KIT ALLOW YOU TO DO THAT ON YOUR OWN?
[/quote]

I ordered it set to that setting. That said, it was shipped to me in that position. You will be given a tool which allows you to change it as you please with the purchase.

Yes sir, shipping date was today.

[quote name='mac2lad' timestamp='1289843484' post='2791446']

That's what I've heard too. Anyone seen this in retail yet? If so, let us know where we can get them!
[/quote]

They were shipped earlier this morning, and they will be in golf shops starting Monday Evening through Tuesday morning-afternoon.

[quote name='finalist' timestamp='1289839597' post='2791323']
so which is it? I've now read the 910 comes with a weight kit and I've read it cost $30 extra for the weight kit?
I understand the screw driver comes with the driver, but how about the weights that adjust swing weight?
[/quote]

You will have to purchase the weight kit, which I saw for $28.50, so probably $30.

[quote name='moonshine' timestamp='1289853410' post='2791733']
Bummer, $450 w/tax and weight kit!
[/quote]

I paid $400 even through GPP...

Titleist 915D3 9.5* w/DI-6x Black
Titleist 915F 15* w/DI-8x Black
Titleist AP2 (2-P) w/KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey Customized 54*+60*
Scotty Cameron Custom Circle T Newport 2
Sun Mountain Black H2NO Bag

[quote name='moonshine' timestamp='1289859602' post='2791882']
with the weight kit??????
[/quote]

More than likely not, I apologize. It's $400 even with tax and free shipping from GPP tho.

Titleist 915D3 9.5* w/DI-6x Black
Titleist 915F 15* w/DI-8x Black
Titleist AP2 (2-P) w/KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey Customized 54*+60*
Scotty Cameron Custom Circle T Newport 2
Sun Mountain Black H2NO Bag

If anyone has any specific questions, I'm picking mine up tomorrow, custom fit for me, set up for the "D3" setting. PM me or post here if you'd like and I'll try to help. Like a previous user posted, I haven't been this excited in a long time for a new club, especially since I saw the TrackMan results in comparison to my previous driver, and the r9, VR, etc. and it just blew it out of the water, including what they claim it does, increase ball speed, and club head speed, thus creating distance and control.

How do you custom fit an adjustable driver? Hope doesn't cost anything to put the hosels at D3--kind of thought that was what the wrench was for--DIY.

I've tried and rejected two so far---the RIP and Red Board replacement shaft. I bought one with the Project X shaft although I guess I can't officially use it until Friday.black%20eye.gif

Nice driver and very accurate but still doesn't have the distance my i15 with Tour AD DI shaft.

How do you custom fit an adjustable driver? Hope doesn't cost anything to put the hosels at D3--kind of thought that was what the wrench was for--DIY.

I've tried and rejected two so far---the RIP and Red Board replacement shaft. I bought one with the Project X shaft although I guess I can't officially use it until Friday.black%20eye.gif

Nice driver and very accurate but still doesn't have the distance my i15 with Tour AD DI shaft.

hah, I see the flaw of that, I meant that I was fitted and the D3 setting, which gave me the best distance, carry, spin rate, smash factor and accuracy :p

So, if I get this right. The sleeve has the number on it and the ring has the letter on it. The sleeve is attached to the shaft and the ring rotates independently of the sleeve. you can change the letter(ring) without changing the orientation of the graphics. When the number is changed, though, you change the location of the shaft graphics because the sleeve(number) is glued to the shaft. Right??

[quote name='Doublebuck' timestamp='1289838020' post='2791287']

[/quote]

Are you sure?

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Math
[/quote]

The Titleist rep said the face angle does not open and close. You can adjust lie and loft. These create a fade or draw bias without opening and closing the face. This is not dramatic like the 30+ Taylormade bias, only about 10 yards. So the standard .5 degree open remains the same. She made a point that the adjustments for lie and loft can be accomplished without changing face angle which is unique vs other adjustable drivers.
[/quote]

I was only trying to confirm with what I've seen by my own eyes. What I could have seen might also be the illusion that the higher loft setting looks closer compare to the lower loft setting.
I don't have scientific data, only what I've seen in person.

Bloodredsun seems to have acces to the necessary equipment to do the measurements so I'll be more than happy to correct my posts if I was wrong! I wan't to fully understand what i'll be playing with for the next two years! :)

Math

What sets the new drivers apart from previous Titleist models is the Sure Fit Tour adjustment system. Using a torque wrench that comes with each club, golfers can set the clubhead into one of 16 different playing positions to customize face angle, lie angle and the playing loft.

The standard face-angle setting for the drivers is .5° open, but it can be made up to 1.5° open or 1.5° closed. As you adjust the clubface left or right, the effective loft changes within a 2.25° range.

This was written by Dave Dusek Deputy [email protected] and I have seen similar info posted in other reviews online.

Now I am really confused whether the face angle can be adjusted.

[quote name='Laneo' timestamp='1289781290' post='2790488']
[/quote]

let us know if you actually get it. No one I know has is yet! Where you at in Michigan?

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5 Project X Denali Black 60S Driver

Callaway AI Smoke TD Tensei AV White 75 Stiff 3 Wood

Callaway Apex UW 19 & 21 deg MMT 70 Stiff Hybrids

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 5-PW Project X IO 5.5 Irons

Cleveland CBX4 50, 56, 60 KBS HI-REV 2.0 115 Wedges

Odyssey Dual Force Putter

TaylorMade TP5

Vessel Lux XV 2.0 Black Cart Bag

[quote name='Doublebuck' timestamp='1289838020' post='2791287']

[/quote]

Are you sure?

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Math
[/quote]

[/quote]
I'm inclined to go with this explanation as well. If the face was able to be opened to 1.5*, then the literature would tell us. That is not the case. The literature would specify exactly that the face is open 1.5* by delofting and vice versa.

Ping G425 Max 9* Venus Red TR 5 Stiff

Ping G410 5 Wood Aldila Rogue 130MSI 80 X

Ping G430 Max 7 Wood VA Composites Drago 65 Stiff

Ping G425 Max 9 wood Ventus Blus 7S

Ping G710 5-PW KBS Tour

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Anser 2