The Big Review – Titleist 910 D2 and D3 Drivers

[quote name='E - SF' timestamp='1289611918' post='2787836']
So what will spin less, an 8.5 adjusted up to 9.5, a 9.5 set on neutral, or a 10.5 adjusted down to 9.5?
[/quote]
Great question!

Many Byron Putters
Scratch Don Whites
Scratch Jeff McCoys
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/646544-finalists-witb-452013-damascus-byron-scratch-td/page__hl__%20finalist"]WITB Link[/url]

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what will spin less, an 8.5 adjusted up to 9.5, a 9.5 set on neutral, or a 10.5 adjusted down to 9.5?
[/quote]

Technically they are .75 changes in loft, so an 8.5 to 9.25 or a 10.5 down to 9.75... so.... 8.5 to 9.25 should spin less, although it isn't quite 9.5!!

For those wondering about the kit, I wish I took a pic of it... nothing special, just weights stuck in a small holder. Was told retail would be approx. $30...

SIM

STG 

FliHi 

243 4-PW

T22 56, 60

Phantom X 12.5

When lofts are adjusted this also moves everyother gram of weight throughout the head. Wouldn't that change the center of gravity?
For example taking an 8.5 head and adjusting the head to 9.25 seems like the tail end would lower which moves the CT lower than if it were a glued 9.25 designed head.
Propbably just over thinking things that I wouldn't even notice.

Many Byron Putters
Scratch Don Whites
Scratch Jeff McCoys
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/646544-finalists-witb-452013-damascus-byron-scratch-td/page__hl__%20finalist"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='finalist' timestamp='1289612833' post='2787858']
The review is well written but old info for us.

How's the impact sound? I'm curious what people are feeling at impact? Was it longer than all other drivers? How's the black finish holding up after some use - do tees scratch it off? What driver currently out does it remind you of? How much shaft tip does one need to use a favorite gamer shaft in this adapter to make it play 45"? At this point I'm looking for new personal experience info detailing performance and feel.
[/quote]

Only 5 questions per post. lol

[quote name='Dizz' timestamp='1289610390' post='2787804']
[quote name='RighttoLeft' timestamp='1289601275' post='2787580']
I played and loved the D, K, R, and liked the 909D2. It was almost as good as the club that inspired it (Cobra X Speed Pro S).

It will take a WOW! demo to prove to me that the 910D2 is more than the 909D2 with adjust-ability.

...and I am not a Titleist hater. I play Vokey wedges, just replaced the 762's with AP2 710's, and played Titleist drivers until the Cobra X Speed Pro series came along.
[/quote]

The Cobra Speed Pro S did not inspire the 909D2.
[/quote]

awesome review, great information. im buying one, i just dont know what shaft to get.
the review said something about side to side help and not being able to fix a 50 yard hook/slice more of 20 yards. can someone explain how you change the adjustability to help or fight a draw. what setting am i looking at?

[size=4][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]DRIVER[/b]- Callaway Rogue Oban Tour Limited 60s
[b]3 WOOD[/b]- GBB Epic Oban Kiyoshi Gold 75s
[b]HYBRID[/b]- Titleist 818 H1 19/23 Hybrid Atmos HB Tour Spec 85s
[b]IRONS[/b]- Srixon 765/565 Nippon Modus 105s
[b]GAP[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 52 Modus 105
[b]SAND[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 54 Modus 105
[b]LOB[/b]- Callaway MD3 Chrome 58 Modus 105
[b]PUTTER[/b]- Bettinardi Queen Bee #6
[b]BALL[/b]- Callaway Chrome Soft X[/font][/size]

[quote name='hurricanes7' timestamp='1289615532' post='2787914']
I played and loved the D, K, R, and liked the 909D2. It was almost as good as the club that inspired it (Cobra X Speed Pro S).

It will take a WOW! demo to prove to me that the 910D2 is more than the 909D2 with adjust-ability.

...and I am not a Titleist hater. I play Vokey wedges, just replaced the 762's with AP2 710's, and played Titleist drivers until the Cobra X Speed Pro series came along.
[/quote]

[/quote]

awesome review, great information. im buying one, i just dont know what shaft to get.
the review said something about side to side help and not being able to fix a 50 yard hook/slice more of 20 yards. can someone explain how you change the adjustability to help or fight a draw. what setting am i looking at?
[/quote]

You would change ball flight with the lie angle. When I hit everything at the fitting center they explained how the lie angle on woods (even teed up) changes the flight down the range. If you add and decrease loft it will also change side spin.

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

Thanks for the review! The ability to change loft independent of lie or face angle is the biggest selling factor for me. As a LH, this is especially appealing since low loft options are often limited.

Does anyone know how easy it will be to change shafts after the fact, or whether Titleist will make extra sleeves available?

[quote name='in the red' timestamp='1289573167' post='2786971']
[quote name='puttingmatt' timestamp='1289571076' post='2786924']
The rear weight is also directly behind the centre of the club face so you get the most out of a pure contact and is adjustable with options 2g, 5g, 7g, 9g, 12g. weights allowing precise swingweight and feel preference.

What does this mean ? Will I be able to change the weight, or is this
a factory weight that I request ??
[/quote]

Stock, the weight will depend on the shaft. However, as opposed to in the past, a weight kit will be available for further tweaking. When I get some pics and pricing on the kit, I'll post it up.
[/quote]
Excellent, I play my drivers at 44.5' and this helps a ton! I think Titleist got this lineup right in many ways, I'm a long time Titty fan but haven't gamed a driver since 905R, eagerly wainting for my 910 D3....BB :)

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

Just got fitted and ordered mine today. I went for a D3 9.5 degrees, set to 8.75 and 1.5 open, with the Titleist Diamana Ahina Stiff (WB replacement) at 44.5". The demo shafts are available at a shorter length, which is great for me as I like a shorter driver as my bad shot is out of the heel - but haven't previously demoed at this length. I have played lots of drivers in the last couple of years but notably a 909dcomp with matrix 9.5 (awful, way to high and spinny), 909d2 Grafalloy PL Red 8.5(solid), Ping i15 Axivcore Red 9.5 (long but punishing on bad shots) and Supertri tp Voodoo 8.5 (set to 7.5 on tp setting). I think that the D3 is very solid, not massively longer than any other driver, but plenty long enough, more forgiving than the i15, low spinning (which is great for me) and launching, similar feeling to the i15, but more forgiving IMO. I also tried the D2, but it went little to high, but is also very nice. The finish on the 910 range is similar to the i15 and I don't think that it will wear off in a hurry. As for shafts, I tried the Ahina at std length, the Ahina at 44.5", the RIP and PX. I felt that the RIP and Ahina were a little too much for me to handle and might be suited to faster swingers (my ss is around 105-107). I must stress that for someone of my ss there is nothing wrong with the made for shafts, my friend who plays off scratch has a 909d2 with made for BB and hits it miles! In conclusion it is not a massive difference from the 909, slightly more forgiving, better finish and adjustable, it will kick the Supertri TP of the bag which for me is too hih and spinny.

I tried out the D3 recently. I didn't feel it out-performed my 909D2 that much. Launch in the 910's seems to be slightly higher and maybe I gained 3-4 yards. Not sure if it's enough for me to part with my cash.

Having said that, I was amazed at the difference in ball flights you could get by playing about with the hosel. Wish they could have put that on the 909 or even better, the 905r. Never mind I guess.

[quote name='Ringer1' timestamp='1289661116' post='2788424']
Just got fitted and ordered mine today. I went for a D3 9.5 degrees, set to 8.75 and 1.5 open, with the Titleist Diamana Ahina Stiff (WB replacement) at 44.5". The demo shafts are available at a shorter length, which is great for me as I like a shorter driver as my bad shot is out of the heel - but haven't previously demoed at this length. I have played lots of drivers in the last couple of years but notably a 909dcomp with matrix 9.5 (awful, way to high and spinny), 909d2 Grafalloy PL Red 8.5(solid), Ping i15 Axivcore Red 9.5 (long but punishing on bad shots) and Supertri tp Voodoo 8.5 (set to 7.5 on tp setting). I think that the D3 is very solid, not massively longer than any other driver, but plenty long enough, more forgiving than the i15, low spinning (which is great for me) and launching, similar feeling to the i15, but more forgiving IMO. I also tried the D2, but it went little to high, but is also very nice. The finish on the 910 range is similar to the i15 and I don't think that it will wear off in a hurry. As for shafts, I tried the Ahina at std length, the Ahina at 44.5", the RIP and PX. I felt that the RIP and Ahina were a little too much for me to handle and might be suited to faster swingers (my ss is around 105-107). I must stress that for someone of my ss there is nothing wrong with the made for shafts, my friend who plays off scratch has a 909d2 with made for BB and hits it miles! In conclusion it is not a massive difference from the 909, slightly more forgiving, better finish and adjustable, it will kick the Supertri TP of the bag which for me is too hih and spinny.
[/quote]
How did you order yours 1.5* open? I thought the face angles were not adjustable? Can you special order them more open? They come .5* open stock and not adjustable at all other than the loft and lie angle?

Ping G425 Max 9* Venus Red TR 5 Stiff

Ping G410 5 Wood Aldila Rogue 130MSI 80 X

Ping G430 Max 7 Wood VA Composites Drago 65 Stiff

Ping G425 Max 9 wood Ventus Blus 7S

Ping G710 5-PW KBS Tour

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Anser 2

[/quote]

[/quote]

The 905R was a shallow faced, pear shaped, 460 cc, bore through driver.

Then came the Cobra X Speed series, with the 'S' being a 460cc, shallow faced, pear shaped driver with a milled rhombus shaped (rear) face, weight screw in the back and standard bore.

Later the 909D2 came out. The bore though was dropped, a rear weight screw was added (in a very similar position), featuring a milled trapezoidal (rear) face, in a 460cc, shallow faced, pear shaped package.

You can say the Cobra did not inspire the 909D2, but it sure looks like they took the better aspects of it to integrate into the D2.

Taylormade Sim2 10.5° (turned down to 9°) - Tensei White 60 stiff

Ping G400 3 and 5 Woods - Diamana D+ Limited 70 stiff

Ping G400 22° Hybrid - Diamana D+ 90 Stiff

Ping i200 5-UW - Modus Tour 105 stiff

Vokey SM4 54° and 58° - DGS-300

Cameron Special Select Newport 2

[/quote]
I couldn't tell you. I only had one 9.5 head each of both types.

[quote name='finalist' timestamp='1289612833' post='2787858']
The review is well written but old info for us.

How's the impact sound? I'm curious what people are feeling at impact? Was it longer than all other drivers? How's the black finish holding up after some use - do tees scratch it off? What driver currently out does it remind you of? How much shaft tip does one need to use a favorite gamer shaft in this adapter to make it play 45"? At this point I'm looking for new personal experience info detailing performance and feel.
[/quote]
Impact sound is very good; solid feeling without being muted. It's still a good crack 'noise'.

The black finish holds up very well. If you haven't hit them, PVD is much more durable than a black oxide finish and while you do get tee marks (especially from white tees) there has been no appreciable wear on the club head.

It's difficult to compare with current drivers but there are certain elements of the SuperTri about them.

As for the rest of your questions, I think you will only get satisfactory answers by trying them out yourself.

[quote name='mosesgolf' timestamp='1289663000' post='2788456']
[/quote]
How did you order yours 1.5* open? I thought the face angles were not adjustable? Can you special order them more open? They come .5* open stock and not adjustable at all other than the loft and lie angle?
[/quote]

I second that question. Ive heard or read somewhere you can custom order the SFT hosel aligned with the shaft graphics the way you want it but they will allow you to order it more open as well?

[quote name='bjfed' timestamp='1289681704' post='2788807']
[/quote]
[/quote]

I second that question. Ive heard or read somewhere you can custom order the SFT hosel aligned with the shaft graphics the way you want it but they will allow you to order it more open as well?
[/quote]

You cant change the loft without changing the face angle with the technology that is on the market right now. Titleist big advantage is that you can change the loft and face angle indpendently of the lie angle you want.
Basically, Titleist head are 0.5* open on the standard loft setting. If you go with the 0.75* less loft option, you basically open the driver 1 degree meaning that the overall face angle is now 1.5* open.
I've ordered my shafts to be aligned on the 0.75 less loft setting but I'll see if it does that big a difference when I receive them... which is not suppose to be soon unfortunately

Math

[quote name='Mat905s' timestamp='1289686465' post='2788901']
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

You cant change the loft without changing the face angle with the technology that is on the market right now. Titleist big advantage is that you can change the loft and face angle indpendently of the lie angle you want.
Basically, Titleist head are 0.5* open on the standard loft setting. If you go with the 0.75* less loft option, you basically open the driver 1 degree meaning that the overall face angle is now 1.5* open.
I've ordered my shafts to be aligned on the 0.75 less loft setting but I'll see if it does that big a difference when I receive them... which is not suppose to be soon unfortunately

Math
[/quote]

I have a different understanding. Lie and face angle are tied together in Titlests system. Changing the loft does not change the face angle. I could certainly be wrong...

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

They are not going to fly off the shelves with a $100 increase in price, at least here in Canada. Retail will be $449 compared to $349 for the 909 models.

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, Kuro Kage 606 S
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

All the hate for the 907D2 amazes me. My Ozik Code 6/D2 combo has been a fantastic performer for me.

Callaway B21 9* Diamana Kai'Li 70S (Callaway RFE 9* Diamana Kai'Li 70s backup)
RFE 16.5* 4 wood Diamana Kai'Li 80S
RFE 21.5* 7 wood UST V2 Tour 86gr
Apex 4/Apex Pro 5-PW H45 heads Aerotech i110
Callaway MD3 52-10/58-09 S Grind
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 2016

Instagram Link
https://www.instagram.com/michaelfrederickphotography/?hl=en
[twitter]BigDudeGuy72[/twitter]

[quote name='kevcarter ' timestamp='1289694085' post='2789027']
[quote name='Mat905s' timestamp='1289686465' post='2788901']
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Math
[/quote]

I have a different understanding. Lie and face angle are tied together in Titlests system. Changing the loft does not change the face angle. I could certainly be wrong...

Kevin
[/quote]

There is some bad information floating around here....the face angle does change with loft adjustments.

A1 setting is .5 open....you can change the lie without changing the loft/face angle

I added .75 of loft to my D3 which makes it sit dead square in my eyes

[quote name='Islander' timestamp='1289756098' post='2789869']

There is some bad information floating around here....the face angle does change with loft adjustments.

A1 setting is .5 open....you can change the lie without changing the loft/face angle

[/quote]

Are you sure?

[attachment=683585:Titleist 910 Hosel Chart.jpg]

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

[quote name='kevcarter ' timestamp='1289764126' post='2790032']

[/quote]

Are you sure?

[/quote]

Yes...the face angle changes when loft is adjusted

The chart shows effective loft with a square face at impact

Check the chart on page 2

Or I can show you pictures of my driver in different settings

http://www.titleist.com/images/products/pdfs/910_drivers.pdf

[quote name='rgk5' timestamp='1289700584' post='2789189']
They are not going to fly off the shelves with a $100 increase in price, at least here in Canada. Retail will be $449 compared to $349 for the 909 models.
[/quote]

The 909 retailed at $399 new, so does the 910.

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

[quote name='Islander' timestamp='1289765311' post='2790058']
[quote name='kevcarter ' timestamp='1289764126' post='2790032']

[/quote]

Are you sure?

[/quote]

Yes...the face angle changes when loft is adjusted

The chart shows effective loft with a square face at impact

Check the chart on page 2

Or I can show you pictures of my driver in different settings

http://www.titleist.com/images/products/pdfs/910_drivers.pdf
[/quote]

That's the chart I posted. Am I reading it incorrectly?

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

I'm with spitz, and none of the others saying the review makes them want one! I need it compared, or better compare it myself before buying one. And, simply, I'm not paying extra for the weight kit. For that kind of cheese, it should come with it.

I'm not beating a horse, but my SD is straight up bombing the ball and I got it w/weights and not made for shaft....not that there is anything wrong with "made for" shafts.

"We have learned that we must
live as men, not as ostriches, nor
as dogs in the manger." FDR

If anyone has any specific questions, I'm picking mine up tomorrow, custom fit for me, set up for the "D3" setting. PM me or post here if you'd like and I'll try to help. Like a previous user posted, I haven't been this excited in a long time for a new club, especially since I saw the TrackMan results in comparison to my previous driver, and the r9, VR, etc. and it just blew it out of the water, including what they claim it does, increase ball speed, and club head speed, thus creating distance and control.