2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

The Big Review – Titleist 910 D2 and D3 Drivers

[quote name='pukugolf' timestamp='1292583070' post='2845093']

Hi

I am going to claim some expertise here, as we have a some patents in this space and I can tell you there is no free lunch in geometry _ Titleist have 16 settings and are changing loft lie and face angles from OTHER than the primary XYZ axes (the lie angle is 58* or so and NOT a primary axis)

Loft lie and face angles are rotations about the Y, X, and Z axes!

So >>>>>>>>>>>>>> The maths will not allow them to change these parameters independently - I have CAD modelled it. They make no direct claim to independence of loft lie and face angle, but sort of imply it at times.

I have met them several times and they are certainly a great design team, but there is only so much they could deliver with what they had to work with. BUT it is better than the R9 Str8 .................. so well done Titleist.

BTW _ Our system will deliver totally independent LL & FA, and be available from another OEM, but I can not tell you who as we have two OEMs in final dialog.

Cheers

S
[/quote]

That post was over one month old, and using the original tools Titleist had for fitters. Using the latest tools, my post was proven wrong and I have discussed it at length in many threads. Changing the loft does change the face angle.

Kevin

[attachment=699889:Titleist 2011 910 Hosel Chart 2.jpg]

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last night I hit a 9.5 910D2 with the made for ahina. My launch was good at about 12 degrees, but my spin was avg. 4,000. My SS is 105-107.

Can anyone recommend a shaft to put in this head to bring my spind down? I was told that GD DI series are a good fit with this head, but is it a low spinning shaft?

Thanks

[quote name='Ripper17' timestamp='1292601129' post='2845326']
Last night I hit a 9.5 910D2 with the made for ahina. My launch was good at about 12 degrees, but my spin was avg. 4,000. My SS is 105-107.

Can anyone recommend a shaft to put in this head to bring my spind down? I was told that GD DI series are a good fit with this head, but is it a low spinning shaft?

Thanks
[/quote]

http://www.titleist.com/images/products/pdfs/2011_Titleist_Custom_Options.pdf

Take a look at the graph on second page....great info of the custom shafts

Thanks
[/quote]
Oban Devotion 6. I tried this in a 909D3 and it's a low low launch as well as low low spin shaft just like the Titleist chart says.

Ping G430 LST 98 VenTUS Red TR 5 Stiff

Ping G410 5 Wood Aldila Rogue 130MSI 80 X

Ping G430 Max 7 Wood VA Composites Drago 65 Stiff

Ping G425 Max 9 wood Ventus Blus 7S

Ping G710 5-PW KBS Tour

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Anser 2

[quote name='jjl' timestamp='1292600091' post='2845293']
Picked up a 9.5 910D2 w/'Ilima stiff, it's going to do battle with my trusty L4V for a spot in the bag, but the D2 is sittting in the bag now.
[/quote]
FYI, the Ilima is a very high spin and high launch shaft. You may see quite drastic differences depending on what shaft you have in the L4v

Ping G710 5-PW KBS Tour

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Anser 2

Well finally got to give the 910 drivers a try today here in SE Asia. A little background about myself, been playing golf since a kid (8years old) and have been a scratch or better handicap for most of the last 30 years (now pushing 50!), swing speed with the driver is around 105-110 mph, quick tempo, I have no particular favourite club manufacturer, use Mizzie irons, Epon, Fourteen and Callaway wedges, Tour Edge 3 wood and at the moment a 909 D3 driver. also have a TM Superfast but struggle with the length of shaft as I am a bit of a short arse. Still believe that the best driver over the last 5 years or so was the TM Superquad TP.

All of the following was conducted without a launch monitor but on a driving range with good Srixon balls.

Started out with the D3 9.5 with Motore F3 stiff flex, nice feel from the head, very workable but way too much spin! then tried the Project X stiff, better flight and dispersion, pretty good! lastly tried the Aldila RIP 60g sfiff flex, was hitting this great but shaft felt stiff / boardy, just didn't feel right. So D3 with PX was the best at that time.

Then went to the D2 8.5 with PX, again not bad but no real difference to the D3. Stuck the Aldila RIP in the D2 head and wow! this combo was really doing it for me. Great flight, long and workable, felt like a totally different shaft in the D2. Hit 30-40 drives with this set-up and it was superb.
With a little swapping around in the shop (heads and shafts) I walked away with this set-up a very happy man. Will put it to the test tomorrow on the course. Just shows that different shafts perform differently in different heads.

Driver - Tour Edge C722 10.5°, Ventus Red 6S

3 Wood - Callaway Paradym 15º, Ventus TR Blue 6S

3 - 4 Hybrid - Tour Edge C722, Ventus Blue 8S

5 - PW Mizuno MP 223, Nippon 950GH Neo S

Wedges - Mizuno T22 52.09 (Bent to 50.07), 54.09 & 58.12, DG S200

Putter - TaylorMade Spider X Hydro, KBS CT Tour (Matt Black) 120, SuperStroke Zenergy Pistol 1.0

I hit both the D2 and the D3 last week on trackman.... Here's what i got out of it.

D2 9.5*with Rip shaft 60 - around 12.5* launch with 3100 rpm's A-1 setting; SS - 114mph

D3 9.5* with Rip shaft 60 - around 11* to 11.5* launch 2200 rpm's A-1 setting, So I changed to the A-2 setting and.....

D3 9.5* with Rip shaft 60 - avg. 12* launch 2400 rpm's; after those numbers, I found my next driver.

I want to play with some other shafts for S&G's, but i will take those numbers all day, just hope its in the short stuff.

Elitist? It's golf man....JD with no shirt and Boo with chew spit on his shirt. Personal opinion maybe on your part, but elitist?

I hit both 910 drivers, and ordered a 909 w/project x! I'm a bit worn out with the adjustment deal. It's nice for trying shafts, but the best drivers I have owned were glued ones.

"We have learned that we must
live as men, not as ostriches, nor
as dogs in the manger." FDR

[quote name='moonshine' timestamp='1292848258' post='2849584']
Elitist? It's golf man....JD with no shirt and Boo with chew spit on his shirt. Personal opinion maybe on your part, but elitist?

I hit both 910 drivers, and ordered a 909 w/project x! I'm a bit worn out with the adjustment deal. It's nice for trying shafts, but the best drivers I have owned were glued ones.
[/quote]

+1 I have the 909D3 and with the correct shaft for my swing. I see no reason to change at this point.

Mizuno STZ 220 9.5* Hzrdus Black 65
Callaway Epic 15* Evenflow Black 85 
Titleist 818H1 21* Fujikura Atmos TS Blue 80
Titleist 710 CB 4-PW Dynamic Gold TI X100
Vokey SM5 54 & 58 Tour Issue S400
Odyssey O-Works 1 Wide
Titleist Pro V1x

Thanks
[/quote]

At 105-107 ss you probably need an x flex depending on your tempo and how you load the club. You could try the x in that shaft or have it tipped to bring down the spin or you could try the Devotion like mosesgolf recommended.

Mizuno STZ 220 9.5* Hzrdus Black 65
Callaway Epic 15* Evenflow Black 85 
Titleist 818H1 21* Fujikura Atmos TS Blue 80
Titleist 710 CB 4-PW Dynamic Gold TI X100
Vokey SM5 54 & 58 Tour Issue S400
Odyssey O-Works 1 Wide
Titleist Pro V1x

[quote name='bigdaddy78' timestamp='1292849002' post='2849596']

Thanks
[/quote]

At 105-107 ss you probably need an x flex depending on your tempo and how you load the club. You could try the x in that shaft or have it tipped to bring down the spin or you could try the Devotion like mosesgolf recommended.
[/quote]

You hear it over and over, but just get fitted if you haven't. I was really hesitant too but saw my spin numbers / launch were way high. A D3 is a lower spinning head to start. Put in a Project X or RIP shaft. Initially, my swing speed was 119 on the monitor, but I just got into a Stiff, because I'm actually trying to slow down my swing. I had the Project X and it was a little too low on my ball flight. I swapped it for a RIP and love it. I was averaging about 280 off the tee. With my X stiff RIP on my Superdeep I can it 300 easy, but it's not as accurate. I would rather be shorter and in the fairway most of the time. The Project X or RIP are great shafts for what you are trying to do...

e

I have been playing the 910 D3 8.5 now since they came out with a Matrix Ozik TP6HD shaft in it. Recently had the head hotmelted to add a little weight and change the sound dynamic of the club.

I did a full test to compare to my TP6HD 282 SQ and the results were pretty amazing. There is no significant distance difference between the 2 clubs whatsoever. I stand about 6'2" and SS is around 112-116 depending on how I am swinging that day. I have the setting at B2 playing to 45" at D4 swingweight.

The ballspeeds are comparable to the 282 and get slightly better launch and spin numbers with the 910. The biggest difference between the two which is the most significant reason I have fallen in love with the 910 D3 is the accuracy with the driver. I have been hitting more fairways with this driver and am far more consistent off the tee. The ability to adjust the face angle to get it where I want it was key for me along with the Lie angle. This will be in the bag for a long long time. I love this driver and cant wait for the fairway woods to come out.

Hit this driver if you get the change with your favorite shaft, you wont be dissappointed!!!

Corba Aerojet LS 9 Mitsubishi Chemical Kai'li 60X 
Taylormade Stealth Plus 15 Mitsubishi Chemical Kai'li 70X

Taylormade Stealth2  3 Rescue 19 Fujikura Ventus Blue 9X Velocore
Titleist T200 4 DGTI X100
T100S 5-PW DGTI X100
SM9 50F DGTI, SM9 54D DGTI, SM7 60D DGTI

EVNROLL EV5.1B - Mid Slant Hosel 34 

Scotty Cameron 2012 Select GoLo 34

L.A.B. DF3 Dodger Blue 35/70 Heavy (On its way!!)

I just got my tour issue 910 D3 9.5 the other day. It is going straight into my bag. Very accurate driver. slightly better flight than my G15 and I am making much better contact with the 910. I play everything upright and this is the first adjustable driver I have played. I'm using the A2 setting which works perfectly. The upright lie really helps me. I was hitting it about 10 yards further than my G15 and was hitting 290+. I was testing with a Oban Devo 7 X and a whiteboard 63S (came with the club). The flight was lower with the whiteboard which surprised me. I have a 73X whiteboard on the way to see if I can keep that launch angle and take some spin off and increase dispersion.

Thanks
[/quote]

I have a 910 D3 8.5* and have a Fuji Motore Speeder VC7.1X - That will do the trick in keeping spin way down. Excellent shaft imo....

aloha guys...havent posted in years, and just recently getting back into the game. I'm playing the SuperTri 10.5 w/stock motore 60S...how would a 910D2 w/the stock titleist kai'li 65S compare? Does the kai'li play stiffer? higher/lower launch? there's no way for me to get fitted or try a demo...gonna base my purchase off your guys reviews/suggestions. much mahalo.

[quote name='bigdaddy78' timestamp='1292848643' post='2849589']
[quote name='moonshine' timestamp='1292848258' post='2849584']

[/quote]

+1 I have the 909D3 and with the correct shaft for my swing. I see no reason to change at this point.
[/quote]

Agreed. Although, I would really like to see what the 909 D3 would do with a RIP 70S or possibly an 70X. Not sure if I need the S or the X, though. My swing speed is between 108 and 110. I tried out the RIP 60S in the 910 D3 and the ball flight was really nice but the launch and spin weren't quite as good as my current setup, which is giving me an average launch angle of about 13* and an average spin rate of about 1750 rpm. I know that sounds really low, but more than one launch monitor has had the same readings, so I'm thinking it is pretty accurate. Has anybody hit a RIP 70S or 70X in a 909 or 910 D3 yet? Also, can anyone give me some advice in regards to my flex dilemma?

[list]
[*]Callaway Big Bertha DBD 816 w/ Diamana Whiteboard 70S
[*]Titleist 906F2 15 degree w/ Aldila VS Proto 85S
[*]Titleist 906F2 18 degree w/ Aldila NV 75S
[*]Mizuno MP59 (3-PW) w/ KBS Tour 120 C-Taper S+
[*]Callaway Mack Daddy 3 Lucky Clover - 56 and 52 degree
[*]Ping Karsten 1959 Anser 2 (34")
[*]Snell My Tour Ball
[/list]

Finally placed my order. I jumped ship from the D2 at the last second and went D3. I was reading the TItleist fitting guide for the 910's and saw that the D3 is about 200rpm less in terms of spin, so that sold me. Went with 8.5, 44" Diamana Ahina 72, requested that the 12g. be placed in the head to get some swing weight back. We'll see when it comes how badly they built the club hahah

TM '17 M2 9.5* - Accra Tour Z X465 M4
PING G5 - Aldila NV75S

TM MC 3-PW - DG S300
Titleist Vokey SM4 52/56/60
Scotty Cameron TEI3

It was 60 degress here in the Midwest today so I took my new 910 9.5 D2 with Titleist Ahina stiff out for a spin. I was fitted for this on a simulator but was anxious to try in the real world.

Here are my first observations after 9 holes: very solid hot feeling and sounds great, much better than the 909. I really liked the trajectory I was getting with the shaft. I seemed to be hitting the middle of the sweetspot consistently which tells me my initial fitting was worth the $30.00. Some people don't seem to like the larger headed D2 built I think it looks very good at address and gave me more confidence than the D3. Distance was hard to tell but I really hit some solid shots that went as far if not farther than my previous Diablo edege Tour.

Titleist TSR2 GD UB 6S
TEE CB5 4 wood Fubuki Tour
Srixon ZX7 5-pw Nippon Modus 120
Miura custom raw 50 54, 56 Nippon WV 125

David Mills SG Dale Pencil flowneck
David Mills Custom torched Heritage SS flow neck
David Mills Custom Carbon flow neck Hertitage V2 with Nitride finish
David Mills Carbon Ming V3 pencil flow neck
Byron Rincon DH89

Took a 910 D2 10.5 w/Rip 60 out on the course today, and compared with my 909 D2 w/Titleist VooDoo.

10 grams lighter-- this was the biggest difference. Also feels like less torque.

Distance: 5 yards longer with 910

Dispersion: Much better with 910

Feel: Loved the solid feel of the 910

Cosmetics: 910 wins

I will try to get ahold of a D3 head to try before I pull the trigger.

I love my D2, for me it is much better than the 909 I had. I cannot wait to try the fairway woods.

TM Stealth 2+ 10.5deg Hzrdus Smoke 4G Black 60 6.0

Titleist TSi2 16.5deg Hzrdus Smoke Black 70 6.0

TM Stealth 2+ 3 Hybrid Project X Black 80 stiff

TM P770 5-AW DG 105 S300

TM MG4 54/58 DG 105 S300

SC Newport Select 34" (rotate them)

TM TP5X

910_sm.jpg

It's no secret that Titleist have something to prove with the new 910 drivers. A few years ago you would have been hard pressed to find any lower handicapper or pro playing something other than a 905 but the woeful performance of the 907 and increasingly impressive offerings from the likes of TaylorMade and Callaway saw them slip from the pinnacle of driver manufacturers. The 909 was far better received than the 907 but never seemed to have the attraction of the 905 – a fact borne out by how many Tour players stayed with the older drivers.

The 910 aims to change all this. With ground-breaking adjustability, the 910 aims to reclaim the dominance of the 905 days show players that Titleist can still make awesome drivers. To introduce this level of adjustability, Titleist tell us that these clubs are made to more than twice the normal level of manufacturing tolerance to be the best drivers that they have ever made.

Appearance

The aberration of the 907 D1 aside, Titleist have never really made an ugly driver. The 910 D2/D3 are no exceptions. With the all black PVD finish and classic pear shaped lines, both the 910 D2 and D3 heads look great from any angle. The D2 is the larger at 460cc while the D3 is only 445cc but unless you have them next to each other they are almost identical in appearance. While how the shaft is attached to the head is normally a technical issue but because of how some systems work they can have cosmetic impact.

The 910's system locks the shaft via a screw on the bottom of the head. This means that the hosel avoids the spiked collar look that dogs neck locking systems and looks very similar to a normal hosel, so of course it looks great at address. The alignment marking on the top of the crown might not be to everyone's liking but that is a tiny quibble and all in all, these clubs are gorgeous.

Titleist%20910D2%20driver_480(1).jpg

Titleist%20910D3%20driver_480.jpg

Performance

A lot has been made about Titleist's introduction of the SureFit dual angle hosel. Some have said that Titleist was the last manufacturer they expected to go down this route. Others have said that the other similar hosel technologies from Nike, TaylorMade and Callaway have been great but not perfect. The main issue with the other technologies has been that as you open or close the face, the loft changes along with the face angle. Ideally of course, you would want to change the loft without changing the face angle and vice versa. Enter Titleist's SureFit system.

Unlike other hosel technologies, the SureFit system has two mechanisms for changing how the shaft sits in the head, the sleeve at the end of the hosel and a separate ring that sits between the sleeve and the head. The result is that you can finally change the lie (and so the face angle) and the loft independently for 16 different combinations. This means that not only can you get Tour van like fitting but you now have the freedom to change the loft angle without enforcing a draw or a fade. If the ground is wet, you might want more carry so you can add 1.5 degrees more loft. If the wind is up, you might want a lower more boring flight and remove 0.75 degrees loft. So your 9.5 degree can become an 11 degree or an 8.75 degree driver depending on the conditions. The changes can also vary the spin levels by almost 1000 rpm. The now ever present torque wrench allows you to quickly change these setting and what ever you are looking for, you can make the change without having the alter the face angle.

What this is not is a system aiming to cure a crippling hook or slice. Titleist stress that the SureFit system is aimed at launch optimisation rather than massive right to left flight adjustment and it is noticeable that the amount of left to right adjustment is a fair bit less than with other similar systems. This is more of a 10 yard adjustment rather than a 50+ yard adjustment. The height adjustment is the full deal though. Any chances you make result in obvious changes in ball flight. This does not mean that you can take any loft head and change it to the one you want as changing the loft also increases the spin rate as we mentioned above so make sure that you get fit.

It's fairly apparent that the larger D2 has more forgiveness and is easier to hit straight and with a higher natural bullfight. The D3 is more workable but still very forgiving with a mid-high trajectory. Both versions seem to have a higher ball-flight that the 909 versions with pretty much the same levels of spin. Because of the ability to change the face angle, launch and spin angles can be varied so these comparisons are only fair against the standard set-ups.

Both have chemically milled crowns which are 17% thinner than the 909 which allow for more mass to be relocated where it can most help the golfer. The back lower portion of both clubs have been redesigned and a rear bezel weight placed to lower the COG as much as possible. The rear weight is also directly behind the centre of the club face so you get the most out of a pure contact and is adjustable with options 2g, 5g, 7g, 9g, 12g. weights allowing precise swingweight and feel preference.

So what does that mean when you actually hit the ball? Simply awesome, awesome performance. There is a lethal combination of forgiveness and workability and as for distance, the ball explodes off the clubhead. Titleist have improved the face over the 909 with an enhanced version of their Variable Face Technology to give higher ball speeds across a larger area. The D2 has a 15% larger maximum ball speed area and the D3 has a 10% larger area than the previous 909 versions. And you get to choose from 80 shafts including many of the best of the premium brands. The stock "made for Titleist" shafts have been improved over the previous versions and while they may not be the full versions they are not bad at all. Stock shafts include the Titleist Diamana 'ahina 72, Titleist Diamana Kai'li 65, Titleist Diamana 'ilima 61, Aldila RIP 60 and Project X Tour Issue Graphite.

Conclusion

It's a hotly contested claim but the 910 D2 and D3 are going to be vying for the title of best drivers on the market. Titleist have shown that they are able to remain true to their better player roots while offering something more to the average player. Validation from Tour players has been exceptional too; Ross Fisher, Rory McIlroy, Adam Scott and Geoff Ogilvy have all put the 910 in play and almost as tellingly, a host of die-hard 905 fans who previously stayed away from the 907 and 909 have put the a 910 in the bag.

Game changing in the same way the first adjustable hosel systems were, Titleist have also shown that they know how to introduce technology that makes a difference and we expect these to fly off the shelves.

just wondering for you Project X titleist users. did you consider custom ordering the 5.5 or where you happy with the 6.0? i hit the 6.0 and love that one the most, but was wondering from 100MPH swing speed with the driver if the 5.5 would suit me better? thanks

[size=4][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]DRIVER[/b]- Callaway Rogue Oban Tour Limited 60s
[b]3 WOOD[/b]- GBB Epic Oban Kiyoshi Gold 75s
[b]HYBRID[/b]- Titleist 818 H1 19/23 Hybrid Atmos HB Tour Spec 85s
[b]IRONS[/b]- Srixon 765/565 Nippon Modus 105s
[b]GAP[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 52 Modus 105
[b]SAND[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 54 Modus 105
[b]LOB[/b]- Callaway MD3 Chrome 58 Modus 105
[b]PUTTER[/b]- Bettinardi Queen Bee #6
[b]BALL[/b]- Callaway Chrome Soft X[/font][/size]

I'll chime in with my experiences with 910 drivers. I had tried out the fitting cart D2 and D3 heads with stock shafts, it was ok and I liked the Project X the best of all the fitting cart shafts.

But yesterday when I played, my club pro let my group try out his 910D2 8.5 w/Oban Devotion 6 X at 46", man I was hitting it bit longer than my own driver and I did not have trouble getting it elevated at all. In fact I think 6Z08 seemed to flight lower than this Oban. At least that is what I've experienced.

63 yr old's Bag of Hacking Utensils

TM Qi10 9*, GD XC-6 stiff

Tour Exotics EXS 16.5 FW & 20 Hybrid

Qi10 Rescue 25* & 28* UST V2

TM P770 5-PW, DG120 S300

TM MG4 52* & 58* DG 120 S300

Odyssey Ai-One #7 Broomstick 46"

Was hitting my 909D2 w/ RIP 60x great and tried the 910D2 w/ RIP60 stiff and was hitting hit all over the map. The setting was at the most open and flat (C1) and I just kept hitting pull hooks with it. Obviously, it was the shaft. It just goes to show that getting properly fit with a driver is tantamount to success. However, when I did get some good drives out of the 910D2, it was fantastic. As far as distance goes, there is no difference between the other good drivers out there.

Ping G710 5-PW KBS Tour

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Anser 2

910_sm.jpg

It's no secret that Titleist have something to prove with the new 910 drivers. A few years ago you would have been hard pressed to find any lower handicapper or pro playing something other than a 905 but the woeful performance of the 907 and increasingly impressive offerings from the likes of TaylorMade and Callaway saw them slip from the pinnacle of driver manufacturers. The 909 was far better received than the 907 but never seemed to have the attraction of the 905 – a fact borne out by how many Tour players stayed with the older drivers.

The 910 aims to change all this. With ground-breaking adjustability, the 910 aims to reclaim the dominance of the 905 days show players that Titleist can still make awesome drivers. To introduce this level of adjustability, Titleist tell us that these clubs are made to more than twice the normal level of manufacturing tolerance to be the best drivers that they have ever made.

Appearance

The aberration of the 907 D1 aside, Titleist have never really made an ugly driver. The 910 D2/D3 are no exceptions. With the all black PVD finish and classic pear shaped lines, both the 910 D2 and D3 heads look great from any angle. The D2 is the larger at 460cc while the D3 is only 445cc but unless you have them next to each other they are almost identical in appearance. While how the shaft is attached to the head is normally a technical issue but because of how some systems work they can have cosmetic impact.

The 910's system locks the shaft via a screw on the bottom of the head. This means that the hosel avoids the spiked collar look that dogs neck locking systems and looks very similar to a normal hosel, so of course it looks great at address. The alignment marking on the top of the crown might not be to everyone's liking but that is a tiny quibble and all in all, these clubs are gorgeous.

Titleist%20910D2%20driver_480(1).jpg

Titleist%20910D3%20driver_480.jpg

Performance

A lot has been made about Titleist's introduction of the SureFit dual angle hosel. Some have said that Titleist was the last manufacturer they expected to go down this route. Others have said that the other similar hosel technologies from Nike, TaylorMade and Callaway have been great but not perfect. The main issue with the other technologies has been that as you open or close the face, the loft changes along with the face angle. Ideally of course, you would want to change the loft without changing the face angle and vice versa. Enter Titleist's SureFit system.

Unlike other hosel technologies, the SureFit system has two mechanisms for changing how the shaft sits in the head, the sleeve at the end of the hosel and a separate ring that sits between the sleeve and the head. The result is that you can finally change the lie (and so the face angle) and the loft independently for 16 different combinations. This means that not only can you get Tour van like fitting but you now have the freedom to change the loft angle without enforcing a draw or a fade. If the ground is wet, you might want more carry so you can add 1.5 degrees more loft. If the wind is up, you might want a lower more boring flight and remove 0.75 degrees loft. So your 9.5 degree can become an 11 degree or an 8.75 degree driver depending on the conditions. The changes can also vary the spin levels by almost 1000 rpm. The now ever present torque wrench allows you to quickly change these setting and what ever you are looking for, you can make the change without having the alter the face angle.

What this is not is a system aiming to cure a crippling hook or slice. Titleist stress that the SureFit system is aimed at launch optimisation rather than massive right to left flight adjustment and it is noticeable that the amount of left to right adjustment is a fair bit less than with other similar systems. This is more of a 10 yard adjustment rather than a 50+ yard adjustment. The height adjustment is the full deal though. Any chances you make result in obvious changes in ball flight. This does not mean that you can take any loft head and change it to the one you want as changing the loft also increases the spin rate as we mentioned above so make sure that you get fit.

It's fairly apparent that the larger D2 has more forgiveness and is easier to hit straight and with a higher natural bullfight. The D3 is more workable but still very forgiving with a mid-high trajectory. Both versions seem to have a higher ball-flight that the 909 versions with pretty much the same levels of spin. Because of the ability to change the face angle, launch and spin angles can be varied so these comparisons are only fair against the standard set-ups.

Both have chemically milled crowns which are 17% thinner than the 909 which allow for more mass to be relocated where it can most help the golfer. The back lower portion of both clubs have been redesigned and a rear bezel weight placed to lower the COG as much as possible. The rear weight is also directly behind the centre of the club face so you get the most out of a pure contact and is adjustable with options 2g, 5g, 7g, 9g, 12g. weights allowing precise swingweight and feel preference.

So what does that mean when you actually hit the ball? Simply awesome, awesome performance. There is a lethal combination of forgiveness and workability and as for distance, the ball explodes off the clubhead. Titleist have improved the face over the 909 with an enhanced version of their Variable Face Technology to give higher ball speeds across a larger area. The D2 has a 15% larger maximum ball speed area and the D3 has a 10% larger area than the previous 909 versions. And you get to choose from 80 shafts including many of the best of the premium brands. The stock "made for Titleist" shafts have been improved over the previous versions and while they may not be the full versions they are not bad at all. Stock shafts include the Titleist Diamana 'ahina 72, Titleist Diamana Kai'li 65, Titleist Diamana 'ilima 61, Aldila RIP 60 and Project X Tour Issue Graphite.

Conclusion

It's a hotly contested claim but the 910 D2 and D3 are going to be vying for the title of best drivers on the market. Titleist have shown that they are able to remain true to their better player roots while offering something more to the average player. Validation from Tour players has been exceptional too; Ross Fisher, Rory McIlroy, Adam Scott and Geoff Ogilvy have all put the 910 in play and almost as tellingly, a host of die-hard 905 fans who previously stayed away from the 907 and 909 have put the a 910 in the bag.

Game changing in the same way the first adjustable hosel systems were, Titleist have also shown that they know how to introduce technology that makes a difference and we expect these to fly off the shelves.

just wondering for you Project X titleist users. did you consider custom ordering the 5.5 or where you happy with the 6.0? i hit the 6.0 and love that one the most, but was wondering from 100MPH swing speed with the driver if the 5.5 would suit me better? thanks

sounds like our swingspeed is similar. I tried the project x and found the 5.5 to be a bit loose, the 6.0 felt tighter and just about right. When fitted and after trying all of the shafts the Ahina gave me the best #'s but the project x wasn't to far off.

Titleist TSR2 GD UB 6S
TEE CB5 4 wood Fubuki Tour
Srixon ZX7 5-pw Nippon Modus 120
Miura custom raw 50 54, 56 Nippon WV 125

David Mills SG Dale Pencil flowneck
David Mills Custom torched Heritage SS flow neck
David Mills Custom Carbon flow neck Hertitage V2 with Nitride finish
David Mills Carbon Ming V3 pencil flow neck
Byron Rincon DH89

[quote name='br61' timestamp='1293930067' post='2869984']
I'll chime in with my experiences with 910 drivers. I had tried out the fitting cart D2 and D3 heads with stock shafts, it was ok and I liked the Project X the best of all the fitting cart shafts.

But yesterday when I played, my club pro let my group try out his 910D2 8.5 w/Oban Devotion 6 X at 46", man I was hitting it bit longer than my own driver and I did not have trouble getting it elevated at all. In fact I think 6Z08 seemed to flight lower than this Oban. At least that is what I've experienced.
[/quote]

You're also playing it @ 46" so if you hit it anywhere near the center, it's going to be longer than your own driver. Just throwing that out there. I would like to give that shaft a whirl in my 910. Can't wait until Titleist makes it easier to get different shafts and tip them for our 910's...

TM '17 M2 9.5* - Accra Tour Z X465 M4
PING G5 - Aldila NV75S

TM MC 3-PW - DG S300
Titleist Vokey SM4 52/56/60
Scotty Cameron TEI3

Took the head to the course and got to try two shafts (no true X's or XX) as I'm still waiting on the custom order to arrive. The fitter there put an X ahina in it set at A1 and I was horrible. Left the Driver in the bag till the turn. He then replaced it with a Motore F3 Stiff set at D1 and it worked pretty well. I haven't played in a while so it was not bad hitting fades down the middle with a softer flexed shaft. This thing didn't go left

Cleveland TL310 8.5 Grafalloy Old Blue X
Baldo Competzione 18*  Graf Old Blue X

Baldo Competzione 21* UST Elements Chrome X
Cleveland 588 Pro CB KBS Tour X 4-PW
Ping Glide 3.0 50*  KBS T X, Baldo 54/ 58 KBS Tour X
Wilson 8802
TM TP5