The Big Review – Titleist 910 D2 and D3 Drivers

[quote name='odshot68' timestamp='1289879967' post='2792524']
[quote name='Laneo' timestamp='1289781290' post='2790488']
If anyone has any specific questions, I'm picking mine up tomorrow, custom fit for me, set up for the "D3" setting. PM me or post here if you'd like and I'll try to help. Like a previous user posted, I haven't been this excited in a long time for a new club, especially since I saw the TrackMan results in comparison to my previous driver, and the r9, VR, etc. and it just blew it out of the water, including what they claim it does, increase ball speed, and club head speed, thus creating distance and control.
[/quote]

let us know if you actually get it. No one I know has is yet! Where you at in Michigan?

[/quote]

Downriver, picked it up at Miles of Golf outside of Ann Arbor, if I can get out today with the weather; I play on hittin' it around a bit, have to at least once before the Michigan winter kills me from golf.

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not sure if this was mentioned but my sales rep stopped by and gave me the scoop on their stock shafts and adjustability.

PX
RIP
Diamana--Red, Blue and White.

PX and RIP is the real deal and not made for Titleist. The graphics are from the OEM. For the diamana you have to get the X flex to get the real ones. The other are made with lighter weight and more torque. The Kaili that he had in the club was different in graphics( my has the weight written on it with Kai li' on the shaft but the made for had the Diamana logo and no Kai li')

For the adjustability, the major function was that new 910 drivers can be fade, square, draw, standared lie, flat lie, upright lie without changing the loft. The hype is that they can also increase and decrease loft by .75 degrees.

Wk

Titleist TSR3 Diamana White Stiff

TM Stealth2 Plus 3Wood Ventis Black Velicore S

Titleist T200U 3 and 4 iron Mitsubishi Tensei Whte 8S 

Titleist T100 5-PW AMTWhite S

Vokey SM10 50, 54, 58  AMT White

Scotty Tour Rat

PROV1 Left Dash

[quote name='youngwaldo' timestamp='1289929842' post='2793246']
I am not sure if this was mentioned but my sales rep stopped by and gave me the scoop on their stock shafts and adjustability.

PX
RIP

PX and RIP is the real deal and not made for Titleist. The graphics are from the OEM. [b][i]For the diamana you have to get the X flex to get the real ones.[/i][/b] The other are made with lighter weight and more torque. The Kaili that he had in the club was different in graphics( my has the weight written on it with Kai li' on the shaft but the made for had the Diamana logo and no Kai li')

For the adjustability, the major function was that new 910 drivers can be fade, square, draw, standared lie, flat lie, upright lie without changing the loft. The hype is that they can also increase and decrease loft by .75 degrees.

Wk
[/quote]

Thats not quite accurate. If you do not pay an upchare you are getting the "Titleist" Diamana Shafts, no matter what flex you order. I ordered mine through my rep a couple of weeks ago. You have to pay the upcharge no matter what flex to get the "real deal" diamana shafts. I am paying the upcharge and ordered the 70g x flex Ahina for my 8.5 D3.

Even shows all the 80 shafts on their website and has the list of the ones that are an upcharge.

Reps are not always the most educated....

Just found out my 910d2 8.5 with RIP 60x shaft that I ordered from discount dan's shipped from Titleist yesterday!! I will have it Friday. Wasn't expecting it until January because I was a little late to the pre-order party so this is like Christmas! I'll try to post some pics and a review after my round Saturday.

So in answer to the questions on the face/loft angle. On a static measurement, the face angle DOES change when you change the loft in the following manner since the sole of the club is sitting differently on the floor.

-.75: 1.5 degrees open
Std: 0.5 degrees open
+.75: 0.5 degrees closed
+1.5: 1.5 degrees closed

Now here comes the interesting bit; there is little if any apparent difference between the settings when you are holding it. Whatever voodoo they have used, whether it's the all black finish or how the head meets the hosel, it does not setup anything like the Nike or TM drivers. The only time it looks even slightly obvious is when you have decreased the loft and the head looks more open. Here are some admittedly crappy photos from an iPhone that hopefully will show this. I've sat the club on a wooden floor that should exacerbate any change in face angle.

This is the highest loft setting A4
[attachment=684594:IMG_0292.JPG]

This is the default loft setting A1
[attachment=684593:IMG_0288.jpg]

This is the lowest loft setting D1
[attachment=684595:d1.jpg]

I was surprised myself when I saw this but the reality is when you actually holding the club on the tee box the difference is barely perceptible. Combined with the lie change the alteration is more visible in the 10 yard alteration in ball flight than in any change in appearance.

[quote name='bloodredsun' timestamp='1289944756' post='2793689']
So in answer to the questions on the face/loft angle. On a static measurement, the face angle DOES change when you change the loft in the following manner since the sole of the club is sitting differently on the floor.

Now here comes the interesting bit; there is little if any apparent difference between the settings when you are holding it. Whatever voodoo they have used, whether it's the all black finish or how the head meets the hosel, it does not setup anything like the Nike or TM drivers. The only time it looks even slightly obvious is when you have decreased the loft and the head looks more open. Here are some admittedly crappy photos from an iPhone that hopefully will show this. I've sat the club on a wooden floor that should exacerbate any change in face angle.

I was surprised myself when I saw this but the reality is when you actually holding the club on the tee box the difference is barely perceptible.
[/quote]

This would concur with what I've seen in person and what I've tried to explain in my earlier posts. I also noticed that the face angle did not change as much as the other driver on the market. Difference was noticeable when I would compare two clubs (with the same standard loft) with different settings (0.75 less and 1.5 more) when put side by side (or one on top of the other). When you hold the club at adress, it's really not that noticeable unless there are lines on the ground.

[quote name='Mat905s' timestamp='1289945523' post='2793719']
[quote name='bloodredsun' timestamp='1289944756' post='2793689']

I was surprised myself when I saw this but the reality is when you actually holding the club on the tee box the difference is barely perceptible.
[/quote]

This would concur with what I've seen in person and what I've tried to explain in my earlier posts. I also noticed that the face angle did not change as much as the other driver on the market. Difference was noticeable when I would compare two clubs (with the same standard loft) with different settings (0.75 less and 1.5 more) when put side by side (or one on top of the other). When you hold the club at adress, it's really not that noticeable unless there are lines on the ground.

[/quote]

how much did the dispersion change when you change all the settings? anybody demo? how much side to side ballflight adjustment can i expect?

[size=4][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]DRIVER[/b]- Callaway Rogue Oban Tour Limited 60s
[b]3 WOOD[/b]- GBB Epic Oban Kiyoshi Gold 75s
[b]HYBRID[/b]- Titleist 818 H1 19/23 Hybrid Atmos HB Tour Spec 85s
[b]IRONS[/b]- Srixon 765/565 Nippon Modus 105s
[b]GAP[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 52 Modus 105
[b]SAND[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 54 Modus 105
[b]LOB[/b]- Callaway MD3 Chrome 58 Modus 105
[b]PUTTER[/b]- Bettinardi Queen Bee #6
[b]BALL[/b]- Callaway Chrome Soft X[/font][/size]

[quote name='hurricanes7' timestamp='1289960143' post='2794228']
how much did the dispersion change when you change all the settings? anybody demo? how much side to side ballflight adjustment can i expect?
[/quote]
As I mentioned in the article, the change in dispersion is in the region of 10 yards or so for both the D2 and D3. It's far more subtle than other adjustable face drivers.

[quote name='SOONERMAGIC' timestamp='1289930146' post='2793254']

PX
RIP

PX and RIP is the real deal and not made for Titleist. The graphics are from the OEM. [b][i]For the diamana you have to get the X flex to get the real ones.[/i][/b] The other are made with lighter weight and more torque. The Kaili that he had in the club was different in graphics( my has the weight written on it with Kai li' on the shaft but the made for had the Diamana logo and no Kai li')

Wk
[/quote]

Thats not quite accurate. If you do not pay an upchare you are getting the "Titleist" Diamana Shafts, no matter what flex you order. I ordered mine through my rep a couple of weeks ago. You have to pay the upcharge no matter what flex to get the "real deal" diamana shafts. I am paying the upcharge and ordered the 70g x flex Ahina for my 8.5 D3.

Even shows all the 80 shafts on their website and has the list of the ones that are an upcharge.

[/quote]

Hopefully your rep told you that you won't be getting that driver until April then.

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

This is a very glowing review of the Titleist 910 drivers.

In fact, it's so well written, it reads like it came from the Titleist marketing department.

BTW...not all 907 drivers had abysmal performance. the 907 D4 is/was a fabulous driver.

I'm going to try a 910 as soon as I can get my hands on one.

Texsport

Mizuno GT180 10.5*/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X
Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 64*/DG S-200
The Cure CX2 putter

Face angle and "effective loft given a face square to the swing path at impact" are [b]invariably[/b] connected. There is no possible way to change face angle on any standard length hosel'ed wood or hybrid with typical bulge and roll without affecting the "effective loft" at impact.

The main difference between the 910s and every other adjustable driver is the 910's ability to alter lie angle independent of face angle/effective loft.

It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf. -Robert Wilson Lynd

[quote name='drpino' timestamp='1290014290' post='2795005']
Face angle and "effective loft given a face square to the swing path at impact" are [b]invariably[/b] connected. There is no possible way to change face angle on any standard hosel length wood or hybrid with typical bulge and roll without affecting the "effective loft" at impact.

The main difference between the 910s and every other adjustable driver is the 910's ability to alter lie angle independent of face angle/effective loft.
[/quote]

Thank you. I was sure mistaken by using the chart. I would have ordered differently... I broke my rule of not ordering without demoing, I need to take my own advise! :lol: Oh well, easy fix...

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

PX
RIP

Wk
[/quote]

[/quote]

If you dont mind me asking how much are you paying extra for the real deal ahina?

[quote name='Texsport' timestamp='1290009181' post='2794894']
This is a very glowing review of the Titleist 910 drivers.

In fact, it's so well written, it reads like it came from the Titleist marketing department.

BTW...not all 907 drivers had abysmal performance. the 907 D4 is/was a fabulous driver.

I'm going to try a 910 as soon as I can get my hands on one.

Texsport
[/quote]
Ha! This isn't the first 'big review' I've written. If you do a google search for [b]site:golfwrx.com "the big review"[/b] you'll see the 50 or so that I've written for golfwrx over the last few years. I know the Titleist marketing department well enough to get access for reviews but thankfully I don't get a penny from them so I can write what I like.

The D4 was a peach of a driver but it probably only suited a couple of thousand golfers and Titleist said that it was uneconomical to mass produce considering the extra heads they have to make for the reps and the reviewers.

[quote name='drpino' timestamp='1290014290' post='2795005']
Face angle and "effective loft given a face square to the swing path at impact" are [b]invariably[/b] connected. There is no possible way to change face angle on any standard length hosel'ed wood or hybrid with typical bulge and roll without affecting the "effective loft" at impact.

[/quote]

Good point. I have always been told that lie angle on the driver has relatively little effect on ballflight due to shaft droop.

My understanding is that the 910 will allow an unprecedented level of adjust-ability, but only within a narrower range than other adjustable drivers allow. The most open and/or flat it will go is 0.75 degrees, and the most closed and/or upright is 1.5 degrees.

But you can really dial in the loft/face angle, and I think this is largely a credit to Titleist's very thorough explanation (via the chart) of the different possible settings, rather than a credit to the technology itself (assuming that the actual loft is the same as the stated loft and not jacked up).

Once you find your desired loft/face angle (which will have the most effect on trajectory and which cannot be adjusted independently), you can then adjust the lie angle to further encourage a desired shot shape (which will have some effect but not much).

Seems like fitting will be key; hope this will feel solid. Personally I would have preferred a silver face.

TSi3 9* RDX Smoke Black 6.5
M5 15* Kuro Kago Silver 75x
Rescue 11 18* Diamana D+ 90x
P790 4 S400
MP-20 MMC 5-PW S400
Vokey SM6 Black 52/56/60 S400
Newport Mil-Spec 350g / Byron 006 / Laguna Pro Platinum / White Hot RX #7 / Stroke Lab Double Wide Flowneck

[quote name='Dizz' timestamp='1290008504' post='2794880']

PX
RIP

Wk
[/quote]

[/quote]

Hopefully your rep told you that you won't be getting that driver until April then.
[/quote]

Ive looked at the shaft list a hundred times and just noticed that as well. Good thing I dont need/want an Ahina.

[quote name='Dizz' timestamp='1290008504' post='2794880']

PX
RIP

Wk
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Well.. not quite April. But it will ship 1/17/2011

Good day all,
First time sending a comment. New to site.
More of a question.
I just got the 910 yesterday, and i can tell you as a long time Titleist player, it is absolutely gorgeous. Worth all the wait. Now my question.
I set up square (Shoulders, hips, feet and clubface) to my target line with the club in its natural slightly open position. If, with this new driver i set it up in the C3 position (which creates a slightly higher ball flight with a slight draw)
I still set up square with the clubface in a slight square to open clubface, am i negating the adjustment i made to the driver by doing this? Will the adjustment made to the driver have to be set up at address in that position, ie. closed face position. Or will the technoligy work during the swing? I hope this question makes sense.
Any help is appreciated

[quote name='Mat905s' timestamp='1289686465' post='2788901']
You cant change the loft without changing the face angle with the technology that is on the market right now. Titleist big advantage is that you can change the loft and face angle indpendently of the lie angle you want.
Basically, Titleist head are 0.5* open on the standard loft setting. If you go with the 0.75* less loft option, you basically open the driver 1 degree meaning that the overall face angle is now 1.5* open.
I've ordered my shafts to be aligned on the 0.75 less loft setting but I'll see if it does that big a difference when I receive them... which is not suppose to be soon unfortunately

Math
[/quote]

My apologies for questioning your eyes...

My driver came today, and the face angle obviously changes when the loft is changed. I was fortunate in that I ordered less loft and closed (looked very open with less loft), and when I moved the rings back to the standard A-1 position, it fit my eye and the shaft orientation didn't change from what I had ordered. Lesson learned, never trust what you read and order blind. I will be ordering a second driver anyway in 9.5° to have one of each loft when I test this RIP 70 shaft.

Thank you for setting me on the correct path.

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

I just got back from being fitted. I used the best! (www.mygolfperformance.com) I was sure that I would have been in a D2, (driving is my weakness). I was surprised to find that the D3 was the clear winner. I ended up with the D3 10.5 Kai'li in a C-1 setting. Should have it in a couple weeks! Can't wait!

Jumping on the bandwagon here, I just hit my 910 7.5 degree D3. I have it set to B1 and it feels great. I have the PX 7A3 at 45 inches. It goes a little higher than I would have expected as I have been playing a 7.8 degree (actual) Superdeep and this goes much higher. So far so good but need a few more rounds to form a better opinion.

Bill

Ready, aim, fire!!!

I went to my local GG today to check one out... didn't hit it.
Looking @ the club at address, it doesn't seem much different from the 909 series... just add in the 2 year old ability to adjust the shot shape and a few more shaft options...Looking at it, I am not as impressed as I thought I would be.
Seems they were late to market with this club and could they stop with the "made for" Diamana's???

[quote name='Titleist_Baller' timestamp='1290204605' post='2798710']
I just got back from being fitted. I used the best! (www.mygolfperformance.com) I was sure that I would have been in a D2, (driving is my weakness). I was surprised to find that the D3 was the clear winner. I ended up with the D3 10.5 Kai'li in a C-1 setting. Should have it in a couple weeks! Can't wait!
[/quote]

This was my setup as well. I didn't play with settings though. Not a stock setup most stores have but I can't wait to get mine tomorrow or monday.

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5 Project X Denali Black 60S Driver

Callaway AI Smoke TD Tensei AV White 75 Stiff 3 Wood

Callaway Apex UW 19 & 21 deg MMT 70 Stiff Hybrids

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 5-PW Project X IO 5.5 Irons

Cleveland CBX4 50, 56, 60 KBS HI-REV 2.0 115 Wedges

Odyssey Dual Force Putter

TaylorMade TP5

Vessel Lux XV 2.0 Black Cart Bag

[quote name='sjaclark' timestamp='1289780227' post='2790462']
These look fabulous, can wait til the are out in the UK to be tried...

By the way, noticed on the website that the FW woods wont be available til feb...why such a long wait?
[/quote]

Same with the hybrid...my guess they have decided that they will manufacture and sell as many of the drivers as they can - then bring out the woods/hybrids.

Ping G30 Tour 65
Callaway XR Pro 3 Wood
Callaway Xhot 3 and 4 Hybrid
Callaway XR 5-AW - Recoil 680 F4 shafts
Vokey 60 degree
STX Putter