2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

2011 Callaway RAZR-X BLADES

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Callaway needs to rethink their marketing and product development strategy. They have been attempting to differentiate models via brand names and badges rather than actual product benefits. As a result they now have too a broad product offering that is diluted and not competitive. What really is the difference, as example, between their Diablo and X irons? Additionally, Callaway risk losing their more upscale, more conservative customers by throwing RAZR badges on everything. What, precisely, does "RAZR" mean? What does it contribute to the protos and (former) X Forged?

In my experience when a product starts getting multiple names with no real meaning to them, the product looses its image, and becomes undervalued. Cutting out the bottom edge of the X forged and renaming it "RAZR" hardly adds value to the product - it demeans it. As a result, Callaway no longer has the simple, unadorned, classic iron in its portfolio. Those customers will go to Mizuno and Titleist.

Callaway's golf products aren't exactly flying out of the stores anyway. If I were running Callaway's marketing department, here is what I would do:

[list][*][b]Get back to core values.[/b] Callaway was a technological innovator. That is their strength. They should sort out their product line and toss out everything that does not have a bona fide technological advantage over competition.[*][b]Weed out the brands.[/b] There are too many brands with too little real value. They need to identify discrete market segments and match ONE brand to each.[*][b]Clarify the product life cycle.[/b] Two years seems typical. With fewer models they should be able to have them all stocked by the Master's.[*][b]Split up into three segments. [/b]If Callaway really sees a "gangsta" market a la Diablo, they can better approach it, and not risk alienating their traditional customers, by developing three discrete business: a "Diablo" golf business, a "Chevron" business for the upscale and professional segment, and - much over due - a "Woman's" segment with clubs actually developed and marketed for the ladies. Drop those products outside of these businesses - if they do not fit the market segment, they don't warrant the resources.[/list]
A key concept to the above is to manage all three business as independently as possible, and to not let products/badges/advertising proliferate all three.

I really liked the X Forged 09, and the Protos. (Actually I would have named them Forged Cavity Backs and Forged Blades, because that is, in actual fact, what they are, and what we see them as. These value-less names are insidious!) I once met Mr. Callaway when they were first getting in the ball business, and I had much respect for him. There is no other golf company that I would rather buy from, that I am not buying from - if that makes any sense to you.

I think the X-Prototypes are the nicest looking irons ever made. But, that's just my opinion. I [b]finally[/b] went out and bought a set, despite the experts telling me I should play a GI set of irons. I'm not getting any younger and I said, "Screw it, I really want to own a set of irons I also love to look at." The irony is I hit the X-Prototype's better than any GI I ever hit. I wish now I hadn't waited so long to get them.

Anywho, I like the look of the X-Proto's better than the RAZR's. Callaway must have had a good reason for doing it their way however. I'm sure they had focus groups, did market research, and all that jazz before committing to production of an entire new line.

[quote name='tinman' timestamp='1293102978' post='2855554']
How can you come on here & call people that you do NOT know "uneducated"?[i][b]Obviously, something struck a nerve[/b][/i].I thought the post was humorous.It was not meant to be taken personally;unless you fit the description.
[/quote]

... Ya think? ; ) Merry Christmas !!!

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour

We as US citizens have the right to say whatever we want and whenever we feel. Now does that make it right well that's the on going debate. Hiding behind your key board to be off color is the easiest way to be who you really are. That goes for all chatrooms, blogs and any other opinion related forums. Just keep to the topics and there will never be a problem and no one will ever call you out. Just my 2 cents. Merry Christmas Y'all..

[quote name='designdog' timestamp='1293131922' post='2856154']
[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1293123264' post='2855925']
I'm sure they had focus groups, did market research, and all that jazz before committing to production of an entire new line.
[/quote]

Maybe.
[/quote]

... They also have to appease retailers and buyers. Believe it or not, Bridgestone had more than a few retailers refuse to carry the J33 irons because they had no "shelf appeal". I think better players almost universally admired the J33's. Ironically, after much nashing of teeth, they came out with the J36 lineup and got hammered for the blue paint fill and flashy stripes!!! Obviously they still want to keep in touch with the taste's of their audience, but you can tell by the J38's that they finally decided they were dammed if they did and dammed if they didn't... so they just made the best performing iron they could make and let the chips fall where they may, knowing they would loose some market share for lack of "shelf appeal". Imo the J38's were one of the best irons released at last years PGA Show. I ended up putting the AP2's in my bag because I felt they had the best all around performance of all the new irons. After attending the last 7 PGA Shows I can say this with conviction, I would [i][b]NOT[/b][/i] want to be a marketing director.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour

Yes, a rebaged Prototype for sure with the same design in tact. The former unfinished (Plain Jane) Prototype now looks like a finished iron AND takes its position in the line-up with the rest of Callaway's RAZR irons. Basically, all Cally could do as it is a very popular iron with their Tour Pros and us blade players.

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

TAYLORMADE `24 P Series UDI 17*, Recoil Dart 105X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X // PXG 0317CB, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

1. Not too sure I agree on re-badging a set of irons with no changes, with all the resources Callaway has they couldn't improve on their design?!?!?!. 2. Is it just me or does Callaway seem to make the cheesiest club line names? (Razr, Diablo, Octane) Keep it simple Callaway!!!!!!!

PING G410 LST 9* w/Mitsubishi Diamana DF 70x
PING G410 5w, -1.5* w/Mitsubishi Diamana 80x
PING iBlades 3-PW w/DG X100
PING Glide Forged 50,54,60 w/DG X100
PING Cushin, Wrx Special ;) 

I like the looks of the RAZR Muscle Backs and the name does not bother me at all. I am a traditionalist when it comes to clubs and these look fine. It's all about the performance to me and not really about the looks. I love the looks, feel, etc of my Titleist 710 MB's but these look fine. I would like to try them out someday and see how they perform. I have heard a lot of good things about the X Proto's and would love to try these out.

They would have to perform exceptionally well to kick the MB's out of my bag though.

Taylormade M1 9.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 70
Titleist 915 Fd 15* Aldila Rogue Silver 70
Callaway Apex Hybrids 20* & 23*
Callaway Apex Pro 16 5-PW Project X
Callaway MD3 54* & 58*
Odyssey Versa 1

[quote name='tinman' timestamp='1293102978' post='2855554']
How can you come on here & call people that you do NOT know "uneducated"?Obviously, something struck a nerve.I thought the post was humorous.It was not meant to be taken personally;unless you fit the description......Relax & pull up your pants-PLEASE.
[/quote]

Haha, I don't fit the description but times have changed, simply put my mind is open. It is very common for even the most educated be absolutely ignorant of other cultures. Obviously I've struck a nerve in some people, sorry. Anyways back to the blades which I believe look great and perform like a champ(Phil).

[quote name='Shug Wy Tee' timestamp='1293332660' post='2859040']
x-proto great looking club, who cares about the name printed on back.
[/quote]

Here, here! Totally agree!!

What if you were absolutely in love with the X-Prototype set! And the looks weren't bad for u and you thought these were the irons for you without a doubt! Then all of a sudden they changed the name to RAZR and kept the club as is, no changes! Would you really not buy it because of 4 letters on the back? It just doesn't make sense to me. Yes stupid name but not too terrible compared to some others out there. Idk I guess the name doesn't really bother me if my ball striking and iron game has improved.

[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][b]Callaway Rogue Sub-Zero 9°[/b] Graphite Design Tour AD-GP 6s[/font]
[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][b]Callaway Rogue 3W-15°[/b] Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 7s[/font]
[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][b]Callaway Rogue 3H-19°[/b] Graphite Design Tour AD-HY 85s[/font]
[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][b]Mizuno MP18 MMC Fli-Hi 4 & 5 [/b]KBS C-Taper Lite S[/font]
[left][font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][background=transparent][b]Mizuno MP18 MMC 6-PW [/b]KBS C-Taper Lite S[/background][/font][/left]
[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][b]Vokey Wedgeworks Custom SM7 RAW 50[/b][/font][background=transparent]° [/background][b]54° 58° [/b][font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]Project X[/font]
[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][b]Scotty Cameron Custom [/b]009 Masterful [/font]
[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][b]Taylormade TP5X[/b][/font]

[quote name='chip75' timestamp='1293483922' post='2861172']
I just thought shouldn't Callaway have called these RAZR BACKS?
[/quote]

You know what? YOU should be working in the R&D for Cally cause that's really not a bad name. Nice job I really like it!! Who is that again Arkansas, Alabama?

[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][b]Callaway Rogue Sub-Zero 9°[/b] Graphite Design Tour AD-GP 6s[/font]
[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][b]Callaway Rogue 3W-15°[/b] Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 7s[/font]
[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][b]Callaway Rogue 3H-19°[/b] Graphite Design Tour AD-HY 85s[/font]
[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][b]Mizuno MP18 MMC Fli-Hi 4 & 5 [/b]KBS C-Taper Lite S[/font]
[left][font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][background=transparent][b]Mizuno MP18 MMC 6-PW [/b]KBS C-Taper Lite S[/background][/font][/left]
[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][b]Vokey Wedgeworks Custom SM7 RAW 50[/b][/font][background=transparent]° [/background][b]54° 58° [/b][font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]Project X[/font]
[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][b]Scotty Cameron Custom [/b]009 Masterful [/font]
[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][b]Taylormade TP5X[/b][/font]

[quote name='sallyboy7153' timestamp='1293496978' post='2861361']
[/quote]

You know what? YOU should be working in the R&D for Cally cause that's really not a bad name. Nice job I really like it!! Who is that again Arkansas, Alabama?
[/quote]

Arkansas. Though I was thinking of the 'killer pig' movie by Highlander director Russel Mulcahy...

[attachment=704006:Razorback_movie.jpg]

[quote name='chip75' timestamp='1293546108' post='2862123']
[quote name='sallyboy7153' timestamp='1293496978' post='2861361']
[/quote]

Ahahh!! Got ya.

[/quote]

Arkansas. Though I was thinking of the 'killer pig' movie by Highlander director Russel Mulcahy...

[attachment=704006:Razorback_movie.jpg]
[/quote]

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1293123264' post='2855925']
I think the X-Prototypes are the nicest looking irons ever made. But, that's just my opinion. I [b]finally[/b] went out and bought a set, despite the experts telling me I should play a GI set of irons. I'm not getting any younger and I said, "Screw it, I really want to own a set of irons I also love to look at." The irony is I hit the X-Prototype's better than any GI I ever hit. I wish now I hadn't waited so long to get them.

Anywho, I like the look of the X-Proto's better than the RAZR's. Callaway must have had a good reason for doing it their way however. I'm sure they had focus groups, did market research, and all that jazz before committing to production of an entire new line.
[/quote]

Good post Sean.

I shouldn't even look at the Proto's but whenever I hit one they are just beautiful forgings and not nearly as hard to hit as some would lead you to believe.

Not fussed by the label job on the RAZR version as the original just looked spot on.

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Max 10.5 Driver/MCA Vanquish 4 Stiff
Titleist TSR2+ 13.0 degree 3 wood/MCA Tensei Pro White Boron 70 Stiff
Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 15.0 degree (@ 17) 3 wood/MCA Tensei Pro White Boron 70 Stiff
Ping G430 22.0 degree 4 hybrid/MCA Kai’Li White HY 80 Stiff
Taylormade P790 2021 5-PW irons/Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 Stiff (soft-stepped)

Taylormade MG3 50 degree SB/Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 Stiff (soft-stepped)

Taylormade MG3 54 degree HB/Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 Stiff (soft-stepped)
Taylormade MG3 58 degree LB/Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 Stiff (soft-stepped)
Odyssey White Hot OG 7 Bird 34” putter/Stroke Lab double bend shaft
Taylormade TP5x/Titleist Pro V1x ball

Vessel/Cobra Tour bag 2022