2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

What's happened to BSG?

sfdoddsy

(Mods erase if necessary)
I'm not sure about the etiquette of this post, but I know many members here are members at BSG and if it is beyond the pale I'm sure it will be removed. And I'm not after analyses of the merits of either site.

However, I was in the middle of (I hope) a transaction with BSG and the site just disappeared. Not like their recent server overloads which leave a message to come back later, but disappeared as in never existed.

Does anyone what is going on?

Thanks

Steve

Mavrik Fuji Pro

G410/Epic Flash/Fli Hi Hybrids/woods
PXG Gen3 irons
Cleveland wedges
Odyssey Rossie OG 

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not sure, but for those who have found us by default, welcome and we hope that you can stay and help contribute. We truly are a unbiased forum where standard Golf Etiquette is the norm and not the exception!

Welcome!

Matt :man_in_love:

Ping G425 LST w Accra TZ6CB      M5 Rocket 14* Accra RPG 472    CBX119 18* EvenFlow Black 
Mizuno MP20 MMC w KBS $Taper     Mizuno T22  50, 54, 60 - DG TI S400     LAB Mezz1 Max    OldSkool Ping L8
#TeamJetSpeed - Dec 2013

I'm not exactly an official mouth for Golfwrx, but I have no problem with this post--as long as we don't go down any name calling roads. Only real problem comes with actual links to the site as that courtesy is not reciprocated.

As for their site, I'm not sure if their webmaster is able to actually cope with all the problems going on lately and has actually been the cause of a few of their problems--eg great post loss of 2004 among others. I did check their site after reading this post, then made sure their license didn't expire (it didn't). That would have been great if I could have registered it to me--hell of a money-maker from what I gather. ;)

I wish their site the best and hope more BSG faithful take this opportunity to get to better know this site and what we have to offer. :man_in_love:

beruo (registered bsg'er since october 2002, golfwrx'er for life :cheesy: )

:hi:

that's funny..thought a few people were banned nence the disappearance...including myself and Sigmamason. URL doesn't even show a valid one through Google. That's what happens when you are suspended or banned..they basically block your IP address from all the sources you use for BSG. Obviously if this is the case for many others..then it could just be some technical problems..

Well, I thought my post here had disappeared but then it came back. So hats off to Oakie.

As I said, I am not trying to start any discussions about the merits or moderating policies of either site and I hope the trend of the above post doesn't continue.

I would, however, like to know if this is an especially horrible glitch or something worse. As I said, I'm in the middle of a transaction, but even if I weren't there is room for both sites.

Cheers

Steve

Mavrik Fuji Pro

G410/Epic Flash/Fli Hi Hybrids/woods
PXG Gen3 irons
Cleveland wedges
Odyssey Rossie OG 

The only problem I have with "other" sites going down is the effect of a burning building; out come the rats to the next building. Let's hope the membership doesn't start to shift to the attitudes that caused my departure from "other" sites a year ago.

I agree with you mike, lets hope not.

I also agree with beruo, its a nice opportunity for some new faces and a chance for some members to see some of the great things that go on here at Golfwrx. I am sure if and when BSG returns that many will go back, but maybe not all.

I applaud all that have posted here in this thread and kept it civil and to the point as well.

i did a ping and NSlookup on them and couldnt find anything!

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

Hi guys,

I am an Insider over at BSG. I really enjoy both sites as well as the friendships I have made both places. Sometimes I think too much about not offending anybody on either site when I post, it's kind of silly really, there is plenty of room for both. I learn so much by interacting at both places that it would be very hard to give up either. Thanks for the consideration you all are showing in this thread.

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

Hi guys,

I am an Insider over at BSG. I really enjoy both sites as well as the friendships I have made both places. Sometimes I think too much about not offending anybody on either site when I post, it's kind of silly really, there is plenty of room for both. I learn so much by interacting at both places that it would be very hard to give up either. Thanks for the consideration you all are showing in this thread.

Kevin

do you have any idea what is going on???

I guess all of us haven't been banned - lol.

No need to get paranoid.

I enjoy golfwrx, BSG, GEA, etc.

I just wish someone from BSG would get in contact with another member or moderator of the forum and explain the problem.

The MIA isn't good for people who have ongoing transactions.

I'm sure just a little patience is needed.

In the meantime, I've posted more on here in the last two weeks than over the last six months. Some of it to my chagrin but hopefully, some of the ardent BSG members have made a positive contribtuion to golfwrx.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi @45.25
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18 w/TPTGolf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H & 5H w/TPTGolf Hybrid Shaft
  • Ping i230 6-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 w/ Nippon 105 Wedge
  • Putter:  LAB Cobalt Blue DF3 w/TPT Shaft
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

Yeah I don't know what is going on over there either. Maybe their server crashed? I had noticed it was pretty slow almost throughout the day and had to be accessed at night to get any sort of reasonable speed. This site is much faster running the same board software. I don't know what OS they are using but i assume it was linux.

I know up until recently they were running the trial or free version of the board software. When i first got on the site i was surprised to find this was the case. I would hope they throw some of the money back into infrastructure perhaps a load balanced server that keeps two copies of everything running and syncs in real time that way if a server goes down they can just have more load on the other one while they fix the one that went bad.

I think rackspace has a good deal and has great support.

It sucks that they conduct business through the board so they probably lost 2 days worth of income. I would work on getting another means of communication open for buyers other than the board on another domain hosted somewhere else or post a phone #?

Tho I frequent here much more often, for obvious reasons (the tag below my name, lol), I would direct those that need assistance with contacting the guys from bsg about ongoing transactions to go to their ebay store and "email the seller a question" asking them to give you a call or something.

For those of you who do not have ongoing transactions, but would like to purchase some really great qualty tour product, feel free to check out our sponsors. ForGolfersOnly can certainly give you your fix of adams tour issue gear, anything from 40/60's to 30/70's to 50/50's etc. Pretty much any adams tour issue club whether it be fairway wood, hybrid, iron, or wedge, they can take care of you. Also check out our other sponsors for club work such as Joey Kwok, who is reknowned for his club making prowess. Feel free to enjoy the site and avail yourself to the opportunities the sponsors present. We welcome you with open arms and please enjoy your stay.

It's unfortunate that BSG is down, b/c as many of you have already stated: there is plenty of room for both sites.

But in the same breath, I would also like to applaud the owners and Mods here are GolfWRX for keeping this thread up!

On a somewhat negative note, if I had payed to be a BSG Insider and didn't have access for as long as they've down(and having problems)--I would be REALLY upset.

Kudos again to GolfWRX and the membership here!

But in the same breath, I would also like to applaud the owners and Mods here are GolfWRX for keeping this thread up!

Agreed...nice work guys.

Ping G425 LST w/ GD Tour AD DI 7

TaylorMade Sim 2 Ti w/ Kuro Kage 70

Ping G425 4H w/ GD Tour AD DI 85

Titleist 718 T-MB 4i w/ GD Tour AD DI 85

TaylorMade P790 5-PW w/ MMT 125

Ping i210 UW

Ping Glide 4 Stealth 54/58

Ping PLD Olso 3

More than likely they are rebuilding from scratch. They've had tons of server related issues lately. IF they didn't have their ISP redirect to a hosted webpage on one of their servers, then they will probably be up again soon. All DNS queries like www.domain.com have a TTL, Time to live record on all DNS servers, so surfers and search engines know where to go. If none of the corresponding DNS servers gets a renewal of that TTL record, then requests for that name to be resolved basically go nowhere, because the TTL never got renewed and hence was deleted from the DNS servers. Hence the error finding the page, and unknown host response when doing a ping. Their IP address has been temporarily deleted from the multitute of DNS servers supporting the Net. When they come backup it wil take about 36 hours for the IP and Name to re-populate globally.

Hopefully they get a webmaster to build them a decent set of clustered webservers.

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5 set to 9.5 with Graphite Design VR 6x
Callaway AI Smoke TD 3 wood, Ventus TR Red 7 S

Callaway AI Smoke TD 7 wood, Denali

Titleist T200 4I GD AD 95 shaft

Titleist T150-5-PW Modus Nippon 120 S
TM Copper 2024 MG4 Wedges, 50, 56, 60 Modus Nippon 120 S

Toulon 24 Collection Fist Run Austin

It's unfortunate that BSG is down, b/c as many of you have already stated: there is plenty of room for both sites.

On a somewhat negative note, if I had payed to be a BSG Insider and didn't have access for as long as they've down(and having problems)--I would be REALLY upset.

Kudos again to GolfWRX and the membership here!

To be honest, I am not upset that I am missing time over there, but I feel badly for their business. This has to be costing them a lot more money than it is it's members. I consider Todd and Derek and the Mods over there to be my friends, and I hope the site gets up soon for their sake. Just my $0.02.

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

Funny thing is I didn't even remember I had a username/passwd for this site and went to sign up a couple weeks ago - during the 1st BSG outage- and thought someone had my username! - Anyway, long story short, this is a great site and I certainly hope people can see the value of having multiple golf forums as I know I have really enjoyed looking through and posting, in a limited fashion here - I even had a very nice chat with a gentleman at the Adams tour haven sponsored by WRX - Anway, great site here fellas and it is fun to see a lot of my pals from BSG over here as well...

Because of the community you guys have built, Richard and I have had the privilege to meet and talk with industry veterans and the entire spectrum of recreational and professional golfers. GolfWRX and BSG are great tools for the industry to gauge interest and survey trends as well as members to share a common interest and stories. We purposesly decided to take the high road because we want a place where everyone would feel comfortable to talk and exchange ideas. Most people don't know, understand, or care about the backroom dealings but, some are very passionate about it, as for some its there livelyhood. Todd has built a succesful business and his marketing is very good. I do shake my head when he or some trolls belittle us, call us out publicly, or label GolfWRX as this or that. We took what we felt was the best platform, devised a strategy and then excuted. We try to succesfully execute and deliver on our goals everyday and the response, recognition, and accolades we have received tells us we are doing something right. We thank the community and moderators everyday for that.

We would hope Todd and his team takes the high road in public and properly acknowledges some competition instead of just a congratulatory email then public belittling of WRX...

As to servers issues. GolfWRX was afflicted with similar issues to BSG. WRX has 2-3 people who work on the server/software side with the hosting provider and this new traffic has peak our server load too. We are tweaking thing as we are going cause we will need to do a major upgrade next month as well. The major metric most people use to show site popularity is Alexa.com for traffic and unique IPs per month. GolfWRX see about 40-45K unique users a month and that number grows every month. Easily one of the top Golf forum sites on the web and this has helped us draw Sponsors and helps to grow the greater community.

Let me finish this up to with the fact that WRX and BSG are different, though alot of people say we are the exact same. BSG is a business/store for the highend and Tour market. WRX is a community aimed at the community interested in the Retail/Import and Tour information.

Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
Have a Ad/BST question, first look and post here:
BST AD Help
If you have a general help question, post here:
GolfWRX Website Help Desk

I joined this site in April, but then left it to go to the "other side". I must say, I really enjoy this site and very impressed with the way it is run. I have changed my opinion and glad to be here. Thanks

Taylor Made Qi 10 LS Driver 10.5*

Taylor Made M2 HL 4 Wood 16.5*

Taylor Made Qi10 5 Wood 19*

Titleist T 300 Irons 4-PW, GW

Titleist Vokey Wedges 54*, 58*

Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport

I'm not sure BSG is experiencing "technical difficulties." If they were going to shut down the site for a few days to rectify the problems they've experienced lately, then they should have made an announcement via email or through the site itself prior to shutting it down. To this point, we've heard nothing of the sort.

Anyway, I've been active here and there. Very different environments IMO, each good / bad in their respective ways. That said, I'm partial to Golfwrx because of threads like this one and the associations this site has with cameroncollector.com.

Todd's making too much money to bail. I think their server crashed and they're trying to get it back up. I don't think they had time to notify anyone on the site.

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5 set to 9.5 with Graphite Design VR 6x
Callaway AI Smoke TD 3 wood, Ventus TR Red 7 S

Callaway AI Smoke TD 7 wood, Denali

Titleist T200 4I GD AD 95 shaft

Titleist T150-5-PW Modus Nippon 120 S
TM Copper 2024 MG4 Wedges, 50, 56, 60 Modus Nippon 120 S

Toulon 24 Collection Fist Run Austin