Nippon N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour 120

QuigleyDU

Does anyone know anything about this shaft?

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

I am currently testing this shaft in a Nike VR Pro Combo 6 iron. Nike offers this shaft as a custom option.

These are very similar to KB Tours. The Modus 3 is only ~6g lighter and the tip is a little stiffer than KB Tours. I think the Modus 3s play a "little soft" to flex. Very smooth shaft with great feel and kick.

I have been testing the VR Pro Combo 6i with PX, KB Tour, and Modus 3s. So far the PX wins on trajectory, KB wins on spin, and Modus wins on feel.

Think I am going to end up with the KBs - to me they offer the best comb of feel and spin. The combination of the new x3x grooves and a tip stiff shaft really add spin to my shots.

Your mileage may vary.

LB

TM Qi10 Max - Diamana T60
PXG Black Ops 4W, 7W - GD Tour AD VR-7

Titleist T350 5 - MMT95

Titleist T200 6-PW - MMT95

Titleist T150 GW - MMT105

Vokey- 54/12A, 58LBK
LAB Golf DF3
Titleist Pro V1

[quote name='lbhitter' timestamp='1297722946' post='2977369']
I am currently testing this shaft in a Nike VR Pro Combo 6 iron. Nike offers this shaft as a custom option.

These are very similar to KB Tours. The Modus 3 is only ~6g lighter and the tip is a little stiffer than KB Tours. I think the Modus 3s play a "little soft" to flex. Very smooth shaft with great feel and kick.

I have been testing the VR Pro Combo 6i with PX, KB Tour, and Modus 3s. So far the PX wins on trajectory, KB wins on spin, and Modus wins on feel.

Think I am going to end up with the KBs - to me they offer the best comb of feel and spin. The combination of the new x3x grooves and a tip stiff shaft really add spin to my shots.

Your mileage may vary.

LB
[/quote]

So would you say the Modus came in last for you?

I don't think it is a matter of finishing first. It is which shaft had the attributes that worked for me.

I think the Modus 3s are nice. They do play soft to flex.

LB

TM Qi10 Max - Diamana T60
PXG Black Ops 4W, 7W - GD Tour AD VR-7

Titleist T350 5 - MMT95

Titleist T200 6-PW - MMT95

Titleist T150 GW - MMT105

Vokey- 54/12A, 58LBK
LAB Golf DF3
Titleist Pro V1

Talked to Lee Oyer, the Nippon tour rep, at Riviera yesterday. He said the 2S14 Prototypes I have are definetly the lowest launching of the group. He said the retail Modus 3 is very stiff in the tip section to lower spin. The Modus 3 reail is not meant to be low launch but it is meant to be lower spin with better control. He also said the Modus 3 is not based of the ORA prototypes, they are a completely different profile. He and I agree these will become more popular as OEM's continue to offer them as a custom option. Titleist already does. He says Nike may soon since Paul Casey won with them.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

[quote name='markheardjr' timestamp='1297888848' post='2984137']
Talked to Lee Oyer, the Nippon tour rep, at Riviera yesterday. He said the 2S14 Prototypes I have are definetly the lowest launching of the group. He said the retail Modus 3 is very stiff in the tip section to lower spin. The Modus 3 reail is not meant to be low launch but it is meant to be lower spin with better control. He also said the Modus 3 is not based of the ORA prototypes, they are a completely different profile. He and I agree these will become more popular as OEM's continue to offer them as a custom option. Titleist already does. He says Nike may soon since Paul Casey won with them.
[/quote]

having gamed the proto oras they were perfect but on the heavy side! the modus 3 in s could just be what im looking for. i have a set of heads that need shafts.

i love my current dgs300 set up and am thinking of doing the same. but those modus 3s are in my mind.

can anyone compare trajectory between the modus and DG? weight diff not an issue for me.

Epon EF-02D Diamana x17 6s

Epon AF-256 #3 Diamana x12 7s

Epon AF-256 #5 Diamana x12 7s

Epon AF-906 23 Tensei Ck pw hb90

Epon AF-506 #5-aw Tensei AM2Ws

Epon Tour wedge M56 DG spinner

Tad Moore handmade blade 

Just put a set of these in my JPX 800 Pros, I've only been able to hit a bucket of balls in 30 mph winds so I have very little feedback. But I can tell you one thing, they feel goooood! I plan on putting in some reps with them next week so I'll post some more feedback on these after I spend a little time on the range with them.

[quote name='cbassgolf' timestamp='1298083017' post='2991363']
Just put a set of these in my JPX 800 Pros, I've only been able to hit a bucket of balls in 30 mph winds so I have very little feedback. But I can tell you one thing, they feel goooood! I plan on putting in some reps with them next week so I'll post some more feedback on these after I spend a little time on the range with them.
[/quote]

Would love you hear your feedback on these shafts. Did you happen to get out and hit em this weekend?

[quote name='Stefan91' timestamp='1298053102' post='2990050']
It is more like that

stiff is S300
x-stiff is s400 or x100 ss
tour x-stiff is x-100
[/quote]

Where did you get this Info? I have not found anything that would be able to be used for comparison.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

• 2 weeks later...

So i've spent a couple day's with the jpx 800 pros and the Nippon Modus TX. Feel wise these shafts are very smoothe. I seem to launch these a little higher than I would like but they really seem to fight the wind. They are playing .5 inch long and I had to add some lead tape to the heads to get the swingweight where I wanted it, so I don't know if this is contributing to the higher launch angle or not. Compared to the project x 6.5 I normally play these definitely launch higher. But compared to the KBS and the project x flighted these are much better. Those two shafts not only launched high but would ballon on me. The nice thing about the modus is the ability to flight the ball down if need be. I'm thinking I would be better off had I hardstepped these but that's not and option as I refuse to put extensions in a brand new set of shafts.

All in all these are really good shafts and I've tried them all. This is my new favorite shaft based on feel, workability(high to low,low to high) and dispersion.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='markheardjr' timestamp='1297888848' post='2984137']
Talked to Lee Oyer, the Nippon tour rep, at Riviera yesterday. He said the 2S14 Prototypes I have are definetly the lowest launching of the group. He said the retail Modus 3 is very stiff in the tip section to lower spin. The Modus 3 reail is not meant to be low launch but it is meant to be lower spin with better control. He also said the Modus 3 is not based of the ORA prototypes, they are a completely different profile. He and I agree these will become more popular as OEM's continue to offer them as a custom option. Titleist already does. [/quote]

Is this right as I can't see them as an option on the Titleist website and would love to order these in the APs's

• 2 weeks later...

A little flex info about the Modus3 from shaftology

QUESTION: Hi, I have a question regarding the new MODUS3’s.
I used the Mizuno shaft Optimizer a while back and it suggested
DG SL s300 ( the light version) and Nippon 950gh S flex. I am currently playing
DG S300’s So the optimizer pretty much told me that I should use a lighter shaft
in the same flex.

I am ready to order a set of new irons and really want these shafts, but I
talked with a person on a forum and he said S300 flex is more comparable to
xflex, I was wondering what you opinion was, I dont have anyone around me that
has the shafts to demo, So i am at odds whether to play Sflex or Xflex? Shaank0

ANSWER: Hi Shaank0,

Regarding your question of flex on our new MODUS³ TOUR120, there is nothing in the design or the manufacture that would indicate that this shaft model will play softer than its stated flex and thus require a stiffer flex. Discussion with another golfer on a golf forum is certainly not a scientific reason why one should play with a given shaft model or flex. One person’s opinion is valid for their specific experience, but is solely anecdotal versus real evidence.

At the recent PGA Show Demo Day, a few hundred golfers, of varying abilities tested our new MODUS³ TOUR120, and no golfer reported that the shaft flex played or felt more flexible than its stated flex.

The most accurate method of shaft flex selection is via live comparison , and you might consider having one shaft installed into one of your iron clubs. This can be accomplished by contacting any of our Authorized Installation Centers. In this manner, you will not only be testing for flex, but also weight and shaft design.

The Mizuno Shaft Optimizer is a wonderful tool that will provide a part of the shaft selection puzzle, but it is also a predictive tool, and can never replace the actual interaction between golfer and equipment.

Best regards, Mark

Though much is taken much abides;
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
- Lord Tennyson

• 5 years later...

Just wondering if you have any additional comments on these shafts? I am looking at a set that has them in them and curious about how they play. I have a set of DG X100's in my Mizunos now that have treated me well.

Just wondering if you have any additional comments on these shafts? I am looking at a set that has them in them and curious about how they play. I have a set of DG X100's in my Mizunos now that have treated me well.

Factual info...

- Considerably lighter in weight(which is a lot more important than many people think)

Factual/subjective

- According to the bend profile charts, the 120s are softer, particularly in the tip...than the DG shafts you are used to. The subjective part of that...felt that way to me as well. Lower end feels softer, specially at impact for me. I played the 120s for a while, and liked them, but did not like the feel at impact. The feel made the shot feel better than it actually deserved to be for me. I didn't get the feedback I did with the DG type profile. Some agree, some completely disagree.

2024 Building In-progress

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)
Qi10 Tour 3W with shaft TBD
Callaway UW 17* with shaft TBD

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid at 20* w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Srixon ZX7s w/ DG AMT White S300s
MG2 TW Grind 56/60 at 54/58
Spider Tour X3

Factual info...

- Considerably lighter in weight(which is a lot more important than many people think)

Factual/subjective

- According to the bend profile charts, the 120s are softer, particularly in the tip...than the DG shafts you are used to. The subjective part of that...felt that way to me as well. Lower end feels softer, specially at impact for me. I played the 120s for a while, and liked them, but did not like the feel at impact. The feel made the shot feel better than it actually deserved to be for me. I didn't get the feedback I did with the DG type profile. Some agree, some completely disagree.

I agree with your current shaft of choice (witb).

@therealping