Swing weight factors in relation to parts

joey3108

[quote name='jgwak2' timestamp='1422335039' post='10825811']
[quote name='Shradersr' timestamp='1422334318' post='10825757']
[url="http://www.leaderboard.com/swingwt.htm"]http://www.leaderboard.com/swingwt.htm[/url]
[/quote]

Whoa..... This is so fascinating...
[/quote]

Keep in mind that the online tool is just an estimation. it is very sensitive to errors in measurement so be very careful when getting the numbers to input to the site.

[quote name='Stuart G.' timestamp='1422348472' post='10826331']
[quote name='jgwak2' timestamp='1422335039' post='10825811']
[quote name='Shradersr' timestamp='1422334318' post='10825757']
[url="http://www.leaderboard.com/swingwt.htm"]http://www.leaderboard.com/swingwt.htm[/url]
[/quote]

Whoa..... This is so fascinating...
[/quote]

Keep in mind that the online tool is just an estimation. it is very sensitive to errors in measurement so be very careful when getting the numbers to input to the site.
[/quote] From my limited experience it is quite accurate but I found that it is crucial to get the balance point exact to the fraction of a millimetre, which is actually pretty hard.

I need a little help. I currently have the Srixon Z745 irons with the TTDG S300 shafts that weigh 130 grams. I am interested in re shafting them with the UST Recoil 110 gram stiff shafts that I have been fitted for. The only issue I am concerned with is what will the 20 or so grams of lighter weight do to the swing weight? I am a little picky but can live with a d3-d5 swing weight. Is this doable? Thanks

Taylormade M1 9.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 70
Titleist 915 Fd 15* Aldila Rogue Silver 70
Callaway Apex Hybrids 20* & 23*
Callaway Apex Pro 16 5-PW Project X
Callaway MD3 54* & 58*
Odyssey Versa 1

[quote name='VTHOKIES' timestamp='1422712368' post='10855647']
I need a little help. I currently have the Srixon Z745 irons with the TTDG S300 shafts that weigh 130 grams. I am interested in re shafting them with the UST Recoil 110 gram stiff shafts that I have been fitted for. The only issue I am concerned with is what will the 20 or so grams of lighter weight do to the swing weight? I am a little picky but can live with a d3-d5 swing weight. Is this doable? Thanks
[/quote]

Very little, if any change in SW (assuming the same amount of tip weight is used w/ the DGs, if any are used). The recoils balance very well and quite similar to the DG's.

Can someone double check my math here before I waste a bunch of time and lead tape re-sw'ing my clubs up. First pic is what they are now, second is proposed changes, third is an alternative way to weight the fw's so I don't make the shaft to soft by adding it all the head. I'll probably have to do the same with the 4h as well if it works, the rest should be fine with just adding weight to just the heads as long as the math is ok. Thanks a million :)

910D2 9.5*- RIP Alpha 70x
910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

[quote name='jgwak2' timestamp='1422752384' post='10859125']
Could swingweights be, a half? For example, d4.5?
[/quote]

I'm sure with the right tools you can't get as precise as you like with sw :)

910D2 9.5*- RIP Alpha 70x
910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

[quote name='Pigems' timestamp='1422752020' post='10859091']
Can someone double check my math here before I waste a bunch of time and lead tape re-sw'ing my clubs up. First pic is what they are now, second is proposed changes, third is an alternative way to weight the fw's so I don't make the shaft to soft by adding it all the head. I'll probably have to do the same with the 4h as well if it works, the rest should be fine with just adding weight to just the heads as long as the math is ok. Thanks a million :)
[/quote]

I can see that you use a online calck and thats fine if you are dead accurate about balance point, but DONT use Counterweight to get to a SW value, its "far out".

Swing weight was meant to be a short cut to actual MOI or resistance, but it does not do the job right. If you use it, like D2 "is this balance or feel" then you will go all wrong.

Next, 1 SW point vary in weight depending on length, and the rule of thumb of 2.0 grams is only valid as "average on irons". To get closer use this chart from Hireko.

.[attachment=2598677:Grams sw pr lenght.PNG]

Try progressive SW using 2/3 of a SW point pr 0.5 inch club length difference.
Find your favorite iron, tweak it and do the math, and make one of your woods and your PW the same and see what happens. THIS is what the SW scale tries to do, Match your clubs resistance, but it cant without your help, understanding you have to move target 2/3 of a point for each 0.5 inch club length difference, THEN we get as close as we can without help from a microprocessor like in the digital MOI scale.

I made a post about MOI and what really happens,when we try to trick the SW scale by using counterweight. Its a good thing on putters, but dont use it on anything else, if its to please the SW scale readout. http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/44071-swing-weight-factors-in-relation-to-parts/page__st__210#entry10238111

DO NOT SEND PMs WITH CLUB TECH QUESTIONS - USE THE PUBLIC FORUM.

• 4 weeks later...

So, if I understand all this correctly, if I currently have a 45" driver with a 54 gram grip that has a SW of D2 and I change the grip to a 24 gram grip (30 grams less) my SW will increase to D8 (one SW per 5 grams of grip weight). Therefore inorder to get the SW of the club back to D2 I need to shorten the club by 1" (1/2" shaft = 3 SW), all other things being equal?

Assuming a 100 mph swing speed with the 45" shaft, will there be any noticable change in club head speed at 44". Iron Byron of course, not me.

• 1 month later...

Swing weight help: Want to take a 43.25" 17 wood down to 42.75" and switch the shaft from a 56 gram shaft to a 75 gram shaft. Swing weight starts at D3. What will it be without adding a tip weight or changing the grip?

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5 Project X Denali Black 60S 

Callaway AI Smoke Max Project X Denali Black 70S 3 Wood

Callaway Apex UW 19 & 21 deg MMT 70 Stiff

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 5-PW Project X IO 5.5

Cleveland CBX4 50, 56, 60 KBS HI-REV 2.0 115 Wedges

TaylorMade Spider Tour Z Putter

TaylorMade TP5

Vessel Lux XV 2.0 Black Cart Bag

[quote name='odshot68' timestamp='1428976386' post='11352719']
Swing weight help: Want to take a 43.25" 17 wood down to 42.75" and switch the shaft from a 56 gram shaft to a 75 gram shaft. Swing weight starts at D3. What will it be without adding a tip weight or changing the grip?
[/quote]

Based on table of page 1: D3 (-1/2") to D0 then add 21 grams (slightly more than 2 SW) so D2.2

Is this correct?

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5 Project X Denali Black 60S 

Callaway AI Smoke Max Project X Denali Black 70S 3 Wood

Callaway Apex UW 19 & 21 deg MMT 70 Stiff

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 5-PW Project X IO 5.5

Cleveland CBX4 50, 56, 60 KBS HI-REV 2.0 115 Wedges

TaylorMade Spider Tour Z Putter

TaylorMade TP5

Vessel Lux XV 2.0 Black Cart Bag

[quote name='odshot68' timestamp='1428977434' post='11352827']
[quote name='odshot68' timestamp='1428976386' post='11352719']
[/quote]

Based on table of page 1: D3 (-1/2") to D0 then add 21 grams (slightly more than 2 SW) so D2.2

Is this correct?
[/quote]

By the general numbers, yes. However, shaft balance point can have as much impact as weight when changing a shaft so the general rule can be way off from the reality in many cases.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, now all the numbers are looking the same, help me please.

I cut my 4 iron shaft down 1inch and my 5 iron down 1/2 an inch. How much lead weight do I need to add to my iron heads? They are both at 37.7 length. ( I could not hit them worth a damn, so I cut them to .2 inchs longer than my 6 iron. )

I can hit them a lot better now, but can deff tell they feel a little different.

So for the club building noob, if I hacked 3/4 of an inch off the butt end of a driver or 3 wood would it make enough difference for me to notice? Bad idea or go for it and swing away? If I need to replace the weight, could I stick one of those butt weights into the end of the shaft and replace the grip?

edit: after a bit more reading that i should have done before posting, it looks like my best bet would be some lead tape?

After shortening the shafts of some Ping Eye2+ with KT shafts, I did not see a loss of 3 swing weight points. About half of that actually, and this is measured on a scale not the online estimating system.

Also, my experience with regripping does make a difference in swing weight. This ran counter to some posts on the internet of the view that regripping does not change the swing weight much. I measured more of a difference between Golf Pride New Decade in standard size versus mid-size than I though I would.

The jumbomax grip on the SW make a significant difference of 6 points, and the SuperStroke on the putter as well. I have to wonder how much the change of the feel of the SW is due to the steep reduction in swing weight rather than the grip diameter... something I've not seen the large grip manufacturers talk about in detail it deserves.

[quote name='74hc' timestamp='1430324600' post='11466135']
After shortening the shafts of some Ping Eye2+ with KT shafts, I did not see a loss of 3 swing weight points. About half of that actually, and this is measured on a scale not the online estimating system.

Also, my experience with regripping does make a difference in swing weight. This ran counter to some posts on the internet of the view that regripping does not change the swing weight much. I measured more of a difference between Golf Pride New Decade in standard size versus mid-size than I though I would.

The jumbomax grip on the SW make a significant difference of 6 points, and the SuperStroke on the putter as well. I have to wonder how much the change of the feel of the SW is due to the steep reduction in swing weight rather than the grip diameter... something I've not seen the large grip manufacturers talk about in detail it deserves.
[/quote]

Read this, it explains it, and keep in mind that Swingweight is NOT a measurement of true heft, it never was and never will be, so if you think you lost heft using Mid size vs standard grips, its all wrong, it was you who tricked the scale, nothing else.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/44071-swing-weight-factors-in-relation-to-parts/page__st__210__p__10238111#entry10238111

DO NOT SEND PMs WITH CLUB TECH QUESTIONS - USE THE PUBLIC FORUM.

• 4 weeks later...

hey,

(1) which heavy weight iron shaft has the highest balance point i.e. lowest swing weight when put in a head all else being equal? KBS Tour S, C Taper S, Project X 6.0, DG S300, Nippon Modus etc....??

(2) can anybody of the experts here help with my problem. would only like to know if the adapter of the demo club takes out swing weight or what could be the reason?
http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1182122-swing-weight-problemsrixon-545-vs-nike-cf-20why-do-the-feel-different/

thx alot

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='kb24ismvp' timestamp='1433882469' post='11720852']
[quote name='wavyRT' timestamp='1433632554' post='11702660']
Would standard size golfpride c2pro with 2 wraps of tape change sw from standard stock GP velvet grips with one wrap?

C2pros are much thicker I think.
[/quote]

which stock GP are you using, the .580 or the .600, they are 58g and 51g respectively
[/quote]

60R 51.5 grams

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I have a swing weigh problem. I recently replaced a set of titleist 710 mbs with a set of vapor pros. I did a shaft swap and realized that the nike was shorter than the titleist after the shaft swap. the titleist played 1/2 long and all clubs were at d3 from titleist. I ordered them from titleist and had the lofts lies and swing weights checked when they arrived. the nike was about 1/4 shorter, so I installed extensions to make up the difference. I use ndmc grips and 3 extra wraps 4 total. after building all the clubs I noticed that the nikes are heavy…. super heavy. Using the swing weight estimator I measured all of them to be between d8 and e0. I know That I could remove the tip weights but they were all between 1 and 3 grams. I have built several club sets and have never ran into this problem. nike says the vapor pro is d3.5 from factory. I can understand that the weight will increase slightly by adding the 1/2 inch but wow these things are heavy. I don't want to get the static weight too high by adding lead tape to grip end. I guess my question is this. Is there any way to decrease swing weight without increasing static weight? and has anyone built a set that was this heavy?

[quote name='pricegsxr' timestamp='1435161430' post='11825990']
I guess my question is this. Is there any way to decrease swing weight without increasing static weight? and has anyone built a set that was this heavy?
[/quote]

Use a shaft with a higher balance point or remove material from the head to lighten them (usually by drilling it out of the hossel).

[quote name='Stuart G.' timestamp='1435168163' post='11826748']
[quote name='pricegsxr' timestamp='1435161430' post='11825990']
I guess my question is this. Is there any way to decrease swing weight without increasing static weight? and has anyone built a set that was this heavy?
[/quote]

Use a shaft with a higher balance point or remove material from the head to lighten them (usually by drilling it out of the hossel).
[/quote]

So is it more the combination of the added static weight from the extension and extra wraps of tape? or do I just have a heavy set of heads? Can anybody tell me what the swing weight of nike vapor pro with a set of dgti x100 should be at 1/2 long?