2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

will soon have in my possession some Hogan Apex Cameo

141-1-l.jpg

I am so stoked. I have played Hogan Apex PCs, Redlines, Channel backs and a few other Apex, but the cameo and the decades sets are the ones I have been keen to work with. I am a glutton for self-punishment I think.

Are these as tiny headed as I think they are? :wacko:

Taylormade M5 Tour 10.5* 

Taylormade 300 Series 15*

Taylormade Sim2 Max 18*

Titleist 818H2  21*

Titleist 718 TMB 4 24*

Titleist 718 AP2  5-PW

Mizuno T20  54*   58*

Taylormade Spider GT  #3

One of my all time favorites. I have a nice set in the closet that I picked up a couple of years ago but haven't hit them yet. I pretty much learned how to play golf with Apex II's and had three different sets a long time ago. Yes the head(and the sweet spot) is small but this is a true classic especially to anyone who golfed in the late 1970's/early 80's. Back then forgiveness was left to Ping. Hogan, MacGregor, and Wilson ruled the world.

Cleveland Classic 290 9*Miyazaki C.Kua S
Callaway S2H2 BBWB Deuce & X 4W
Adams Idea A7 PNT 19* 3H & 22* 4H
Adams A4 Forged 5-PW
Adams A4 Forged GW,SW,LW
Bettinardi Studio Stock #5 34"

Nice. Mine are the black cameos which i think they made only in '83.
I just hope the shafts aren't utterly wasted, as replacing them would be problematic...given the tapers and pins and all..

funny that the hogan 50th anniversary irons, which list out at ridiculous prices, seem identical to the apex II except they say 50th anniversary near the back of the crown.

they must have thought they represented the best in hogan's irons, I hope:)

Taylormade M5 Tour 10.5* 

Taylormade Sim2 Max 18*

Titleist 818H2  21*

Titleist 718 TMB 4 24*

Titleist 718 AP2  5-PW

Mizuno T20  54*   58*

Taylormade Spider GT  #3

[quote name='Jack Pearsall' timestamp='1307041429' post='3280474']
Nice. Mine are the black cameos which i think they made only in '83.
I just hope the shafts aren't utterly wasted, as replacing them would be problematic...given the tapers and pins and all..

funny that the hogan 50th anniversary irons, which list out at ridiculous prices, seem identical to the apex II except they say 50th anniversary near the back of the crown.

they must have thought they represented the best in hogan's irons, I hope:)
[/quote]

Reportedly these were the last irons Hogan played personally. That may be why the design is similar to the 50th anniversary.

• Like 1

smile.gif

Miura PP-9003 PW-6 iron w/SmacWrap 780 F3

Taylormade Stealth 10.5* w/KBS TD 50 Oh, and Ventus Red "made for"

Taylormade SIM 2  21 degree w/Ventus Blue

Taylormade Stealth Rescue 22* w/Ventus Blue

Callaway X-Tour raw - 52 w/DG steel

Taylormade MYMG 3 - 56 w/KBS C-Taper Lite 

Dave Whitlam Anser 

• 3 weeks later...

Wow. beautiful clubs. I love them. I hit them straight as a dart. I love the low profile. the sweet spot isnt as tiny as I'd have thought, which is either i am ball striking well currently, or...they're more forgiving than previous Apex's, and i kinda doubt that! a little shorter, about 1/2" on the shafts, but not an issue since I am 5'10" and shrinking fast..the apex 3 shafts are perfect for me, man they load so perfectly and launch mid to high. having come from dgs300, the move to R shafts has been well recieved by my game and body! I think i shape my mp67's better, and they remain my #1 club.

however, i liked the apex IIs so much, i got another set as beaters...2 complete sets, $120 shipped.
sold my mp32's in stiff for $240. sweet.
saving money, and adding to the arsenal...

any decent ball strikers out there, consider the hogan apex irons (the good ones anyways) as they are had cheaply.
-- just make sure they dont need new shafts, heh,heh,heh...

thanks guys

Taylormade M5 Tour 10.5* 

Taylormade Sim2 Max 18*

Titleist 818H2  21*

Titleist 718 TMB 4 24*

Titleist 718 AP2  5-PW

Mizuno T20  54*   58*

Taylormade Spider GT  #3

• 3 weeks later...

These models were the last ones Mr Hogan was using personally...the USGA Golf House (Far Hills, NJ) has these clubs in a special room.

My Hogan had these, with a lot of lead tape on several of them.

TM M2 driver (2016)
TM M2 3 and 5 woods (2017)
PXG 19 degree
Mizuno MP 25, 4-9 (about to change)
Miura CB-57 PW
Miura wedges, 53 and 59, Y grind
1964/5 Wilson 8813

• 4 months later...

After hearing about how great Hogans were to my college buddies at UCSD (yes, we were out on Monday afternoons in '87 playing twilight on the South course for next to nothing!), I patiently looked out for a set, but faced the fact that a lefty set would be rare to have in hand to try.

As luck would have it, I was visiting family in Carmel Valley, CA a few years later, and, while snooping around the pro shop at Rancho Canada, I saw a complete set of 2-equalizer cameos that were kept in the shop as standby rentals! Nobody had used them! $300 out the door. Still have em, and maybe one day they'll come out on a special occasion.

I shouldn't have waited to reshaft them/ didn't realize it would be an issue today.

• Like 1

[quote name='gshlaven62' timestamp='1321155972' post='3794013']
After hearing about how great Hogans were to my college buddies at UCSD (yes, we were out on Monday afternoons in '87 playing twilight on the South course for next to nothing!), I patiently looked out for a set, but faced the fact that a lefty set would be rare to have in hand to try.

As luck would have it, I was visiting family in Carmel Valley, CA a few years later, and, while snooping around the pro shop at Rancho Canada, I saw a complete set of 2-equalizer cameos that were kept in the shop as standby rentals! Nobody had used them! $300 out the door. Still have em, and maybe one day they'll come out on a special occasion.

I shouldn't have waited to reshaft them/ didn't realize it would be an issue today.
[/quote]

LH Hogan Cameos?
Are these irons pinned?
Those were among the last LH Hogan forged iron sets...pre PCs.....and a great find!

Not surprising you had to find them disguised as a rental set....
Yes, it's a huge issue to reshaft Hogan irons.
What is the shaft flex?

[quote name='rex235' timestamp='1321306486' post='3800243']

[/quote]

LH Hogan Cameos?
Are these irons pinned?
Those were among the last LH Hogan forged iron sets...pre PCs.....and a great find!

What is the shaft flex?
[/quote]

Give me a bit- I'll try to put info up today...

[quote name='gshlaven62' timestamp='1321722753' post='3822711']
[quote name='rex235' timestamp='1321306486' post='3800243']

[/quote]

LH Hogan Cameos?
Are these irons pinned?

What is the shaft flex?
[/quote]

Give me a bit- I'll try to put info up today...

[/quote]

I believe they are pinned, although I've never known of that feature. They have the Vector shaft, 3 flex, and have assumed they are standard in loft and lie.

Years back, I snapped the 6 iron, so I'm not happy to hear about difficult reshafts.

They also have serials on the ferrules.

Digging through the club bags where these, my old Orlimar woods, and other odd clubs are stored, brings back great memories! If I could ever get satisfied about how the gamer bag is going, I'll finally go to work getting this and another old set of blades (MP7 Mizzys) in gamer shape!

• 2 weeks later...

I love the Apex II blades. I recently purchased a set off eBay. 3-E, Apex 3 shafts, I re-gripped them with new-old-stock ribbed Green Victory half cords. They're in the bag with a '96 remake of the Wilson Staff Dyna-powered sand wedge, a Wilson Staff 8813, Hogan laminate(!) 4 and 5 woods, and a Louisville Golf K2 persimmon driver that reminds me of my old Wood Bros Kool Cat. The Apex II irons are fantastic: solid, workable, fairly forgiving on slight toe hits, and classy classy classy in the bag. The laminate Hogans simply perform; if I find some good Hogan persimmons with Apex 3s on eBay, I'll swap out the laminates. The K2 driver has a graphite shaft and is just about as long as my titanium drivers and much more enjoyable to hit. So I'm selling my modern golf club collection and sticking with the blades and wooden woods. If it costs me 2-3 shots per 18 holes to play vintage gear, it's well worth it in terms of enjoyment; and my swing has never been better. Those Apex 3 shafts are smooth!

[quote name='W/S' timestamp='1322534550' post='3864395']
I love the Apex II blades. I recently purchased a set off eBay. 3-E, Apex 3 shafts, I re-gripped them with new-old-stock ribbed Green Victory half cords. They're in the bag with a '96 remake of the Wilson Staff Dyna-powered sand wedge, a Wilson Staff 8813, Hogan laminate(!) 4 and 5 woods, and a Louisville Golf K2 persimmon driver that reminds me of my old Wood Bros Kool Cat. The Apex II irons are fantastic: solid, workable, fairly forgiving on slight toe hits, and classy classy classy in the bag. The laminate Hogans simply perform; if I find some good Hogan persimmons with Apex 3s on eBay, I'll swap out the laminates. The K2 driver has a graphite shaft and is just about as long as my titanium drivers and much more enjoyable to hit. So I'm selling my modern golf club collection and sticking with the blades and wooden woods. If it costs me 2-3 shots per 18 holes to play vintage gear, it's well worth it in terms of enjoyment; and my swing has never been better. Those Apex 3 shafts are smooth!
[/quote]

Gorgeous set right there! Love the colors.

I was just thinking of going wood about 40 minutes ago.

[quote name='W/S' timestamp='1322538102' post='3864685']
I have been playing persimmon off and on for the last three years. Every few rounds I would switch out the titanium and cavity backs for blades and persimmon, then back to the modern gear. But I always got sick of playing the modern stuff; shots don't feel good and my swing gets too quick. So I would joyfully got back to persimmons and blades. My persimmons at the time were Wilson Staff Tour Block 1, 3, and 5 with Dynamic Gold R300. The 3 and 5 were great but the driver was way too finicky; slight misses went about 200 yards and good strikes about 215-220. I could sometimes have 150 into a green on a 400 yard hole, but that doesn't mean the real distance I hit it is 250 yards. If I really missed one it could end up being 175-180 off the tee. Every once in a while, when I was swinging well, I could put together a round in which I hit the driver really well. But even then I was left hitting long irons and woods into most greens. I managed to get my index down to 3, but I had to work hard to shoot in the 70s every time out with the classic gear.

So I recently picked up the Louisville Golf K2 persimmon driver with a graphite shaft for $99. In two rounds I've hit every fairway and my average distance is about 10 yards shorter than titanium, about 230 (100 mph ss); that's real average distance, not downhill best-of-the-day distance like some people use as their driving distance. So on 390 yard four pars, into the wind, I'm left with 175-180; on 410 yard four pars, into the wind, I'm left with 190 or so. So I still hit woods into some greens, and that's okay because those Hogan laminates flat out work. The 4 wood is so much easier to hit off the deck compared to my old W/S 3 wood. So I'm really pleased with the fairway woods and the driver. On short four pars, the type of driver I use makes no difference. On long four pars, I'm hitting a wood into the green regardless of what driver I use. It's the mid-length, 360ish yard four pars where I notice the difference: with titanium I would hit a 9 iron into the green; with the Louisville Golf driver I hit a 7 iron; with the Wilson Staff steel shafted driver I would hit 5 iron. I want to hit mid-irons into most greens; driver-wedge or driver-9-iron golf is boring golf; and driver-wood golf all day long is just exhausting. So I think the graphite shafted persimmon is a nice compromise.

Anyway, the irons are great all around; the only time I'm left wishing for some help is when I have a 170-175 yard 3 iron into the green. I think a 7 wood would really round out my set; and I have 13 clubs in the bag right now, so that's my next purchase.
[/quote]

• 5 weeks later...

[quote name='W/S' timestamp='1322538377' post='3864707']
[quote name='W/S' timestamp='1322538102' post='3864685']
I have been playing persimmon off and on for the last three years. Every few rounds I would switch out the titanium and cavity backs for blades and persimmon, then back to the modern gear. But I always got sick of playing the modern stuff; shots don't feel good and my swing gets too quick. So I would joyfully got back to persimmons and blades. My persimmons at the time were Wilson Staff Tour Block 1, 3, and 5 with Dynamic Gold R300. The 3 and 5 were great but the driver was way too finicky; slight misses went about 200 yards and good strikes about 215-220. I could sometimes have 150 into a green on a 400 yard hole, but that doesn't mean the real distance I hit it is 250 yards. If I really missed one it could end up being 175-180 off the tee. Every once in a while, when I was swinging well, I could put together a round in which I hit the driver really well. But even then I was left hitting long irons and woods into most greens. I managed to get my index down to 3, but I had to work hard to shoot in the 70s every time out with the classic gear.

So I recently picked up the Louisville Golf K2 persimmon driver with a graphite shaft for $99. In two rounds I've hit every fairway and my average distance is about 10 yards shorter than titanium, about 230 (100 mph ss); that's real average distance, not downhill best-of-the-day distance like some people use as their driving distance. So on 390 yard four pars, into the wind, I'm left with 175-180; on 410 yard four pars, into the wind, I'm left with 190 or so. So I still hit woods into some greens, and that's okay because those Hogan laminates flat out work. The 4 wood is so much easier to hit off the deck compared to my old W/S 3 wood. So I'm really pleased with the fairway woods and the driver. On short four pars, the type of driver I use makes no difference. On long four pars, I'm hitting a wood into the green regardless of what driver I use. It's the mid-length, 360ish yard four pars where I notice the difference: with titanium I would hit a 9 iron into the green; with the Louisville Golf driver I hit a 7 iron; with the Wilson Staff steel shafted driver I would hit 5 iron. I want to hit mid-irons into most greens; driver-wedge or driver-9-iron golf is boring golf; and driver-wood golf all day long is just exhausting. So I think the graphite shafted persimmon is a nice compromise.

Anyway, the irons are great all around; the only time I'm left wishing for some help is when I have a 170-175 yard 3 iron into the green. I think a 7 wood would really round out my set; and I have 13 clubs in the bag right now, so that's my next purchase.
[/quote]
[/quote]

I have a set of the Director irons out here...I wok in the sandbox and we have "improvised" equipment...I won them on E-Bay and had them sent out here...man oh man you have to put a good swing on these blades...not like the Callaway X-18's I play (and have a set here too) and it does seem that the Hogans are about a half a club shorter BUT...straight shots usually play longer than crooked recoveries...so...it all works out...

• 4 weeks later...

I have since added a second set of apex IIs -- fiddy bucks with new grips and in great shape!,

I have played them and will bench my mp67s and use these in the winter....

Taylormade M5 Tour 10.5* 

Taylormade Sim2 Max 18*

Titleist 818H2  21*

Titleist 718 TMB 4 24*

Titleist 718 AP2  5-PW

Mizuno T20  54*   58*

Taylormade Spider GT  #3