What is your favorite ball marker?

Rule13.1

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='jswaykos' timestamp='1312829049' post='3462791']
[quote name='Fourmyle of Ceres' timestamp='1312806907' post='3461526']
Please use something flat. These 1/4" tall poker chips I'm going to have to ask you to move if it's anywhere near my line. Same thing with a silver dollar or anything else thicker than a dime or a penny. You aren't impressing anyone with how big and thick your...marker is and a flat marker serves the purpose just fine. Any bit of junk like that standing proud enough to stop a ball dead in its tracks is silly.
[/quote]

+1. I've always thought that the poker chip style markers kinda defeat the purpose of marking your ball in the first place. May as well just leave the ball there, because the poker chips have as big or a bigger footprint than the ball does!
[/quote]

get over yourselves. you are not going to putt over a dime either. You are going to remove any loose impediments in the line too. for the record i use a small plastic marker. nobody should push any marker down, because putting over it is stupid.

I have a few. An official World Series of Poker poker chip (sorry for those of you who hate big markers), a black quarter (I don’t know how or why but this quarter has a black oxide finish to it; pretty cool imo), a 50 cent Euro coin, and a ball marker I got from the Masters. I usually use whichever one i randomly pull out of the bag.

Titleist 910D2 9.5* Fujikura Rombax 6z08
Titleist 910f 15* Diamana Ahina
Titleist 910h 19* Diamana Ahina
Taylormade Tour Preferred CB 3-PW DGS300
Vokey SM2 54*, 60*
Mizuno/T.P. Mills TPM #5

To repeat what friend [i]jswaykos[/i] says, if you're using something that's as much a visible distraction as a golf ball and which will stop anything hitting it just a surely as a golf ball why waste time marking? Just leave the ball there.

The idea is that out of courtesy to your fellow players you place an unobtrusive, easy to ignore marker on the green instead of leaving your ball there. The other players are not impressed with how cool you are because you're using a poker chip instead of a normal ball marker. Trust me.

For my part as long as it's not in or near my line I don't care if you use a penny, your foot, your golf bag or just leave the ball on the green. But if you're going to "mark" it, act like you've been on a golf course before and use a regular marker.

[quote name='TheDarkOne' timestamp='1312850575' post='3463920']
[quote name='jswaykos' timestamp='1312829049' post='3462791']
Please use something flat. These 1/4" tall poker chips I'm going to have to ask you to move if it's anywhere near my line. Same thing with a silver dollar or anything else thicker than a dime or a penny. You aren't impressing anyone with how big and thick your...marker is and a flat marker serves the purpose just fine. Any bit of junk like that standing proud enough to stop a ball dead in its tracks is silly.
[/quote]

+1. I've always thought that the poker chip style markers kinda defeat the purpose of marking your ball in the first place. May as well just leave the ball there, because the poker chips have as big or a bigger footprint than the ball does!
[/quote]

You speak the truth. What's even worse is when they try to push them down, leaving a nice indentation on the green. Please just stop with the huge markers, why? A silver dollar, really?
Someone at my course has a custom one that they keep tapping into the surface of the green leaving craters, I haven't caught them yet. It's some kind of custom coin and all I can make out are the words "Monkey House."
[/quote]

Could you please move your man-hole cover 1 putter blade to the left?

[quote name='Fourmyle of Ceres' timestamp='1312984910' post='3469593']
To repeat what friend [i]jswaykos[/i] says, if you're using something that's as much a visible distraction as a golf ball and which will stop anything hitting it just a surely as a golf ball why waste time marking? Just leave the ball there.

[b]The idea is that out of courtesy to your fellow players you place an unobtrusive, easy to ignore marker on the green instead of leaving your ball there[/b]. The other players are not impressed with how cool you are because you're using a poker chip instead of a normal ball marker. Trust me.

For my part as long as it's not in or near my line I don't care if you use a penny, your foot, your golf bag or just leave the ball on the green. But if you're going to "mark" it, act like you've been on a golf course before and use a regular marker.
[/quote]
Agreed which the exact reason I've used two for years.

[quote name='Fourmyle of Ceres' timestamp='1312984910' post='3469593']

[/quote]

This is what I was trying to say. If the marker is THAT big, don't bother marking it. Hell, half the time I'm going to miss where I'm aiming anyway, so marking it 'left' or 'right' is a crapshoot. I could miss either one just as easily!!

And even if you DO putt it over a dime or one of those cheapy plastic markers, the ball will still continue forward. A poker chip is so large that it defeats the purpose. Now, if you're ball is totally out of my line - or anyone else's - feel free to use whatever you want.

• 4 months later...

[/quote]

Couldn't agree more

There's a reason why ball markers are small and thin. I know lots of people who use Odyssey putters and the poker chip never comes out of the headcover.

For me it's a case "do unto others as you would have them do unto you"

I don't want to have to ask someone to move their marker 3 putter heads "just in case" because it's so big and because it's so distracting i'm even more likely to hit it because it's in my subconscious thoughts.

At least if it is small and I miss my line by a putters width there's a chance the marker could deflect it in!!!!

And For what it's worth I use an FJ marker off my cap unless I've made a pitchmark - then I use the Manchester United one that clips into my pitchfork.

I don't really care what's on the marker itself (right now, it's a club logo), but I have to have a magnetic hat clip. I started using one several years ago and now it's habit to just reach up and have my marker there instead of digging in my pocket.

PING G30 Driver/3w/2h
PING i20 4-U
PING Tour W 56/60
Cameron Select 2.5
PING Hoofer

A Canadian dollar coin

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Wilson Staff Dyna Power 5 wood
Ping 410 7 wood
XXIO 10 5 Hybrid, Tour Exotics 6 Hybrid
Wilson Staff DynaPower forged 7-GW

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

Bettinardi BB0 TRI DASS Skull and Bones 2023 33" 

Like Edberg's forehand, my swing is held together with a paperclip and a rubber band.

I use a U.S.Navy challenge coin. Since he's out on deployment, It's "kind of" like taking him to the course with me.

If it's too close to your line, just tell me and I can mark with something else.

If you told me what you were using it for I would happily putt around it drinks.gif

What do I use? Usually the penny I mooch off of isaacbm because I cant remember to bring anything for myself and he doesn't trust me with a quarter.

I use a U.S.Navy challenge coin. Since he's out on deployment, It's "kind of" like taking him to the course with me.

If it's too close to your line, just tell me and I can mark with something else.

If you told me what you were using it for I would happily putt around it drinks.gif

What do I use? Usually the penny I mooch off of isaacbm because I cant remember to bring anything for myself and he doesn't trust me with a quarter.

With a reason like that it won't matter where your marker is cos i'll be letting you play through!!

Since my wife had a bout with breast cancer in 2011 I started using a pink ribbon magnetic hat ball marker. I used to think hat markers were for sissy's and real golfers reached in their pocket for a coin, but the hat marker is very convenient.

Titleist TS2 9.5* Tensei AV Blue 
Titleist TS2 15* Tensei AV Blue 
Titleist TS2 18* Tensei AV Blue
Titleist Hybrid (816) 23* Basarra HL 
Titleist AP1 718 5-GW 48Tensei Red
Vokey 52.08, 56.10 SM9
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35”
Tiltleist 14 Hybrid
Titleist Pro V1

I could care less what people use to mark the ball with. If it's in my way, I ask them to move it over and nobody has ever given me grief about it. Poker chips, silver dollars, etc. I don't see why it would matter. Heck, even the this site sells poker chip markers. My favorite was a chip from Badlands in Vegas, but I lost it. I tend to lose markers and divot tools quite often. They fall out of my pockets easily for some reason. (Maybe I need to wear cargo shorts!)

current rotation
I usually carry one in my pocket and one on a magnet. I like to have an extra for that person that forgets theirs or if I get to the green and I can mark it for them to speed up play.
Flattened penny with Nevada imprint, from a machine in Vegas
German coin. Works on magnetic clips
Bear paw print that I found somewhere. No idea what it's for but it's cool and works on the magnetic clips.
OSU marker

I got in the habit of putting one of the magnet clips on my shoe laces. Stays put and is always easy to grab when I bend down to get the ball. If I don't have a hat on I still have it with me and don't have to reach in my pocket.

[quote name='TheDarkOne' timestamp='1312761872' post='3460293']
A metal coin with a picture of Ronnie James Dio.
[/quote]

Hence the name "TheDarkOne." Well done, sir.

Srixon Z785 
Cleveland Classic XL 14*, Black Tie X
Srixon Z945 3-PW, Project X 6.5
Cleveland RTX 3 52*, 56* 60*, Dynamic Gold 
Odyssey Sabretooth Backstryke w/Flat Cat