All Things Ohio Golf

hazebronso

[quote name='Tarantula18t' timestamp='1370915912' post='7210586']
Does anyone know much about the Golf Club in New Albany. I can't find a whole lot on the on the internet about it. Apparently they don't have a website. Anyone played it?
[/quote]

Not going to meet too many people that have played that track. It's about as exclusive as they get - right up there with Double Eagle. It's like a top 50 golf course in the world. It might be the only all-male club left in the US outside of Pine Valley.

Cobra LTD Pro Matrix Ozik 75M4 Black Tie Xflex
TaylorMade TP R15 3W Fuji Speeder TS 8.3 Xflex
TaylorMade TP R15 20* Fuji Speeder 869 TS Xflex
Mizuno JPX-900 Tour 4-PW KBS CTaper Xflex
Mizuno T7 50,54,58 KBS CTaper Xflex
OdysseyWorks 38" 2 Ball Fang

[quote name='somaplr' timestamp='1370957393' post='7212966']
Does anyone know much about the Golf Club in New Albany. I can't find a whole lot on the on the internet about it. Apparently they don't have a website. Anyone played it?
[/quote]

Not going to meet too many people that have played that track. It's about as exclusive as they get - right up there with Double Eagle. It's like a top 50 golf course in the world. It might be the only all-male club left in the US outside of Pine Valley.
[/quote]

Yea, I know of the rankings and things, and the exclusivity of the club. I was just hoping maybe someone on here can give me some insight on the place. Being that the club only maintains 150 members, and they don't allow any outside tournaments, I guess finding players who have been there would be very difficult. I just recently learned this information from a nice review I found online this morning.

I played a private course last week in Northern Michigan that had a total of 14 players for the entire day. My guess is the Golf Club will be very similar with very few people there.

I am playing there on Saturday and since finding this review on the itinerant golfer website, I now have a clue of what to expect. Looks nice!

[quote name='Tarantula18t' timestamp='1370973464' post='7215056']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Yea, I know of the rankings and things, and the exclusivity of the club. I was just hoping maybe someone on here can give me some insight on the place. Being that the club only maintains 150 members, and they don't allow any outside tournaments, I guess finding players who have been there would be very difficult. I just recently learned this information from a nice review I found online this morning.

I played a private course last week in Northern Michigan that had a total of 14 players for the entire day. My guess is the Golf Club will be very similar with very few people there.

I am playing there on Saturday and since finding this review on the itinerant golfer website, I now have a clue of what to expect. Looks nice!
[/quote]

I have not played I but from know of a few people who have and actually know a couple of members. From everyone I know that has played it, the course is pretty unbelievable. It's the only 1 of the big 4 course in Columbus (Village, Double Eagle and Scioto) that I have not played and according to a club pro I was speaking it, it's the best one.

I assume they don't have a website because it's not that type of club. Its all male and you have to be above 18 (which is why I have never played it. Prior to my dad retiring (when he was still 'important') I was under 18 or was in college. He retired, basically lost all connections and I missed out).

Have fun and enjoy it!

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

I have had the pleasure of playing TGC twice. My hands were shaking on the 1st tee just thinking about playing a top 50 and how exclusive it is. It is pure golf, no pool, no tennis, no frills. I did not go into the clubhouse as i was playing with members of the greens staff. The course itself is just a great test of golf, beautifully manicured, extremely fast greens. Not tricked up like many of Dye's later work but still has some quirk to it. The par 3 Third with the multi level bunker with the railroad ties, the noose( which i hear rumor of being removed) hanging from a massive tree on #16 i believe. Also the putting green shares with #18's green. I could go on and on, The intinerant(sp) Golfer has a great review with pics you can find thru google. Last word if you ever get the chance to play it drop anything you have going on and enjoy one of the best most exclusive golf courses in the world. P.S go eat at Eagles Pizza in N.A. after your round.

[quote name='SilverBullets' timestamp='1370976664' post='7215612']
[quote name='Tarantula18t' timestamp='1370973464' post='7215056']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I have not played I but from know of a few people who have and actually know a couple of members. From everyone I know that has played it, the course is pretty unbelievable. It's the only 1 of the big 4 course in Columbus (Village, Double Eagle and Scioto) that I have not played and according to a club pro I was speaking it, it's the best one.

I assume they don't have a website because it's not that type of club. Its all male and you have to be above 18 (which is why I have never played it. Prior to my dad retiring (when he was still 'important') I was under 18 or was in college. He retired, basically lost all connections and I missed out).

Have fun and enjoy it!
[/quote]

It's a crazy Pete Dye course. It's on about 500 acres, which is insane. Story is there is actual noose that overhangs one of the par 3's off a tree limb directly above the green because it gave the original owner such a fit.

[/quote]

[/quote]
Have you ever heard about Sharon Golf Club because it is also a male only club, I had the privilege of visiting there for one of my classes at Ohio State for Turfgrass Management, I can honestly say in middle of November that the course looked better than the conditions at Firestone during the tournament.

Ping G Elements Chrome 5F4
Srixon F65 17 Stock Stiff

Ben Hogan VKTR+ 18 Stock Recoil

Titleist AP2 716 DG SL TI S300 4-PW

Titleist SM5 Tour Chrome 50/08 F, 54/10 M and SM7 58/14 K Grind S300

Taylormade Ghost Tour Black Indy

Well we had our annual guys trip in cincy this past weekend. We ended up only playing 1 round and it was on Saturday. We played Fox Run in Kenton County. I thought it was great. Just what we were looking for. Something that was different from what we normally play and more of a fun golf course. The conditions were average at best, but, the layout was fun. Thank god I had a GPS app because every tee shot is totally blind. All in all it was fun day of golf though.

[quote name='LaBraeGolfer' timestamp='1371089562' post='7227414']
[/quote]

[/quote]
Have you ever heard about Sharon Golf Club because it is also a male only club, I had the privilege of visiting there for one of my classes at Ohio State for Turfgrass Management, I can honestly say in middle of November that the course looked better than the conditions at Firestone during the tournament.
[/quote]

I've played Sharon... it's hard and awesome. Better than Firestone, but the PGA won't consider it because it's male only. Even if they did, I doubt Sharon would want it. I was lucky enough to have a college buddy who's dad was a member.

Also, Firestone North is better than the South. I've played them both twice. My dad's friend who is a member says it's common knowledge that the North is the better course but can't host the Bridgestone because it's not friendly for thousands of spectators because of the water.

[quote name='Thunder Dan' timestamp='1371480917' post='7262990']
[quote name='LaBraeGolfer' timestamp='1371089562' post='7227414']
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

I've played Sharon... it's hard and awesome. Better than Firestone, but the PGA won't consider it because it's male only. Even if they did, I doubt Sharon would want it. I was lucky enough to have a college buddy who's dad was a member.

Also, Firestone North is better than the South. I've played them both twice. My dad's friend who is a member says it's common knowledge that the North is the better course but can't host the Bridgestone because it's not friendly for thousands of spectators because of the water.
[/quote]

They had to play the North course one year because of the greens were unplayable on the south. the winning score was 20something under. The North is too easy for the pro's!

TE C722 9* House of Forged custom shaft XX
TE C722 15* Tensei AV-RAW White 7x

TE C722 18* Tensei AV-RAW White 8x

Ping I525 4-GW Project X IO stiff
Vokey SM8 54*
Vokey SM8 58*
Putter = flavor of the day. (EvnRoll ER11vx, 3 different Seemores,  TM TM2 Truss CS, Machine CS M2A Converter, 2 different Yes putters)
Maxfli Tour X or Vice Pro

[quote name='Tarantula18t' timestamp='1371730666' post='7288694']
Does anyone know much about Rattlesnake Ridge in Sunbury? Opinions on the course...conditions..etc?

Is it worth a 240 mile round trip drive to play it?

Thanks
[/quote]

Whats funny is I have lived in Cbus all my life and only heard about Rattlesnake ridge last summer. Hard to imagine its worth a 240 mile round trip as IMO few courses are actually worth that (The big 4 and Longaberger are the only I can think of in Columbus).

• 1 month later...

So I played Shaker Run and Walden Ponds this weekend. I can confirm that shaker has gone downhill. I play it most years a few times and this was my first time this year. With all the rain we have had, every course I have played recently has been plush, wet and green. Somehow Shaker managed to have really beat up fairways…almost looked like fairways after a dry summer. Greens were fine, tee boxes were ok but the fairways left something to be desired. Bunkers were also a joke. Just not the same course that it was 10 years ago.

Well, the only reason that course hasn't folded is because of the HOA and the homes on it. They are bleeding money. The green burnout they had 4 years ago really killed them and they havent recovered since. They have changed ownership 3 times since then. It's really a shame, that used to be a $70 golf course, now I wouldn't pay $20 to play it. They have/had some really great holes on that course.

They ought to hire the superintendent from Walden to come over. About 5 years ago Walden was turning pretty crummy I thought, and this new guy they brought in a few years back has really turned the course around, I think anyway. I played there yesterday, and the course was in excellent shape. It has been the last year or two it seems.

I normally play Shaker once or twice in about April/May, and that is it. The conditions just deteriorate horribly with any heat. I can't believe they think they are eventually going to go private.

Since I didn't like the conditioning at Shaker I should have mentioned Walden Ponds was in great shape (as mentioned above). We had a ton of rain recently ans while the shaker sand traps were horrible the next day Walden Ponds traps were in great shape..as were the tee boxes..as was everything else. Not to mention Walden Ponds fits my eye...I always tend to score well there.

Have any of you guys played Moraine Country Club in Dayton? If so, how is it?

I remember reading an article a few years back in Golf Digest written by the former head of the PGA for finding and scoping out potential courses for tournaments. I don't recall what his exact title was, but I do remember him talking about Moraine CC as being one that he always wanted to have a senior tournament played there, but the membership had no desire for it.

Sounds like it's a pretty darn good one if that's the case.

Any information out there on the place?

Moraine CC is is one of the more prestigious golf clubs in Southern Ohio. Links style course that is absolutely impeccable with some of the hardest greens you'll putt on in this area. I play there 5-6 times a year with a business client of mine that belongs there. It's an old old money club - no cell phones on the course, no hats in the building, old naked men walking around in the men's grill while you eat lunch, etc. Not much cart use, a lot of the members there take caddies.

It's a pretty tough course playing and has almost a 75 course rating from the blues. What did you want to know about it exactly?

I'll be spending the week in Columbus next week. I was also there last week and played Glenross, Blacklick and Longaberger. Where else would you Ohio/CBus people suggest? I stay east of town, will be in town at 9:30am Monday and can be at a course any time after that, 4pm Tues/Wed and usually finish up early on Thursday (2ish... and I was on Longaberger by 4).

Thoughts? Suggestions? Not a member anywhere so no recip.

--kC

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

Oh cool. Thanks. Champions is nice and close and would probably make for a good afternoon round (pending availability with league play).

Winding Hollow, if that's owned by the same people that own TGC, probably in fantastic condition but looks tighter than... something that's tight.

Granville, compared to Longaberger which is only about 15min more min up the road, is it worth the 40ish min drive to play it?

--kC

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

[quote name='somaplr' timestamp='1374695027' post='7531386']
Moraine CC is is one of the more prestigious golf clubs in Southern Ohio. Links style course that is absolutely impeccable with some of the hardest greens you'll putt on in this area. I play there 5-6 times a year with a business client of mine that belongs there. It's an old old money club - no cell phones on the course, no hats in the building, old naked men walking around in the men's grill while you eat lunch, etc. Not much cart use, a lot of the members there take caddies.

It's a pretty tough course playing and has almost a 75 course rating from the blues. What did you want to know about it exactly?
[/quote]

I was just mainly wondering about the conditions/layout. I have heard nothing but good things about it, but don't know much about the place.

Sounds similar to the golf club, as far as the rules, and old men walking around.

I have the opportunity to play there soon, and I was deciding whether or not to do so. Sounds like it would be a mistake not to.

How is it compared to the Dayton CC?

[quote name='Imp' timestamp='1374752114' post='7535340']
Oh cool. Thanks. Champions is nice and close and would probably make for a good afternoon round (pending availability with league play).

Winding Hollow, if that's owned by the same people that own TGC, probably in fantastic condition but looks tighter than... something that's tight.

Granville, compared to Longaberger which is only about 15min more min up the road, is it worth the 40ish min drive to play it?

--kC
[/quote]

Winding Hollow is def. worth playing. It's not worth paying $65 or whatever on the weekend, but, it's still good. It used to be private but folded and is now public. Should be well conditioned and is a good layout. I'd put that towards the top of your list.

Champions is ok. It's a city owned course so the conditioning really suffers. There's a lot of allure to it because it's a old RTJ course, but honestly, there are better options.

Granville is pretty darn good as well. Not sure it's worth the drive though, but, if you are already on the east side of town it may not be more than a half our or so.

Look into playing Northstar. It's my favorite public course in Columbus. I haven't played it since late last season, but it's normally in great shape. It's a pretty difficult track.

Also, depending on how far you are from Cook's Creek (half hour or so south of downtown) it is worth a drive. Very fun layout, conditioning although not as good as past years, it's still solid.

Another option would be Delaware Golf club. The front 9 was newly added (last 10 years) and was designed by Fuzzy Z. The back 9, the original 9, I believe was Donald Ross. The contrasting 9's are very interesting. Personally, I love playing old golf courses so I really like the old holes with tiny greens. The new 9 is great though.

Lastly, I will be in town Monday - Wed next week, if you want to try and get out at my home course one evening for a quick 18 let me know. It's kind of on the opposite side of town though (25 minutes SW of downtown) but it's better than any of the public options (IMO). I can leave work at 4pm any day and be at the course and ready to tee off by 5. PM me if you're interested.

[quote name='Tarantula18t' timestamp='1374755847' post='7535588']
[quote name='somaplr' timestamp='1374695027' post='7531386']

[/quote]

I was just mainly wondering about the conditions/layout. I have heard nothing but good things about it, but don't know much about the place.

Sounds similar to the golf club, as far as the rules, and old men walking around.

I have the opportunity to play there soon, and I was deciding whether or not to do so. Sounds like it would be a mistake not to.

How is it compared to the Dayton CC?
[/quote]

If you have the opportunity to play with a member, do it. If you do not leave the ball below the hole on holes 1-4 you will 3 putt - and I'm not kidding, bring 4 putt into play (I'm a low single digit, and a good putter - it's happened).

It's head and shoulders better than DCC (my office is actually in Oakwood), from a pure golf course perspective. I'm a member at another club in town, but would love to go to Moraine - except my wife hates it and the initiation is about $30,000.

Had the opportunity to meet up with SilverBullets and play at a course he's a member at this afternoon. 1st off, I cannot thank you enough for your/his gracious hospitality and opportunity to play. Great and challenging layout. :) Next time, schedule a little more time for food afterwards! :D And we did the whole round in 3.5 hrs. It... was... AWESOME to be able to play a round and not have to wait and play at a good, relaxed pace.

To keep the GolfWRX tradition alive there were a few constants that were proven yet again. 1) Vanity caps exist. I'm a 12, played a hair over my index, and shot 3 better than SilverBullets... and he's lower than I. :lol: 2) on the 18th hole, a 6 iron out of the rough will not go 200 yds. I cannot call myself a golfwrxer now... I have to turn in my card. I failed. 3) When 2 golfwrxers get together... it can be a fun, fun time.

Ohio people need to get together and play a few rounds together. There are some really fun courses around Columbus as I'm sure other places too. We may be strangers on the computer, but golf it the tie that binds.

Had a great time and hope to play again when I return. :)

--kC