2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

All Things Ohio Golf

hazebronso

[quote name='SilverBullets' timestamp='1367510353' post='6957995']
Ok well while we are on Cincy golf... I am heading to Cincy in June for a guy's trip. We have 6 guys, all of whom golf (wide range of skill). We are planning on playing Shaker on the Sunday as we head back to Cbus, but, I need a recommendation for Saturday. We are staying right downtown friday and saturday night so I don't want to head north like 45 minutes to hit a course. What's good that will take like 30 minutes or so to get to from downtown?
[/quote]

The ones that come to mind are Lassing Pointe in Northern Kentucky. Guessing 20 or so minutes from downtown. On the east side there are several nice course within 30 minutes. I would say Stonelick is the nicest and probably furthest away. Also there are Elks Run and Legendary Run..both also nice courses on the east side

Be aware that Shaker is a terrific layout but several members said it was not in good shape recently...probably will get worse when the heat sets in. I have not played it but read it either on this thread or another thread (there is one about Cinci golf)..

[quote name='CincyCreech' timestamp='1367440116' post='6952975']
I played pipestone last week an was playing terrible it tore me up. I think it's definitely an underrated course! I felt like on the greens I could make everything. If I lived close to Yankee I would play there all the time
[/quote]

Yeah there are some tough holes. #2, #3 (extremely hard approach with that tiered green and tree), #4 is a tough stretch. #10, #11, #12, #13 is really not much fun either.

Cobra LTD Pro Matrix Ozik 75M4 Black Tie Xflex
TaylorMade TP R15 3W Fuji Speeder TS 8.3 Xflex
TaylorMade TP R15 20* Fuji Speeder 869 TS Xflex
Mizuno JPX-900 Tour 4-PW KBS CTaper Xflex
Mizuno T7 50,54,58 KBS CTaper Xflex
OdysseyWorks 38" 2 Ball Fang

I'm in the Dayton area and belong to a private club here but do manage to play everywhere else in the area. If anyone is in the area and needs a 4th or wants to tee it up, let me know. I would agree that Heatherwoode and Yankee are fun, and normally in good shape. Pipestone is a nice course with a couple of silly holes but, overall, very decent. Another fun, public course is Beaver Creek Golf Club.

TITLEIST TSI3 9* - HZRDUS T1100 HANDMADE 6.0 
PING G410 15* - MITZ TENSEI PRO ORANGE 70X
PING G410 17* & 19* - MITZ TENSEI BLUE X & EF BLACK X
SRIXON ZX7's - 4-PW w/SPECIAL, TOUR ISSUE, BLACK KBS TOUR V 125'S
CALLAWAY PM2 54* X & 58* X - ORIGINAL PX Satin 5.5's (HSx1)
ODYSSEY STROKE LAB EXO 7S - CUSTOM

SCOTTY CAMERON 2001 TOUR ISSUE 3x CHOCOLATE NEWPORT BEACH
2017 BRIDGESTONE B330 Tour #1's & TITLEIST PRO V #1'X

Ok well while we are on Cincy golf... I am heading to Cincy in June for a guy's trip. We have 6 guys, all of whom golf (wide range of skill). We are planning on playing Shaker on the Sunday as we head back to Cbus, but, I need a recommendation for Saturday. We are staying right downtown friday and saturday night so I don't want to head north like 45 minutes to hit a course. What's good that will take like 30 minutes or so to get to from downtown?
[/quote]

I would play stonelick hills. 35 minute drive though

[/quote]

A couple of others that have not been listed would be Aston Oaks and Blue Ash. Aston is along the river on Rt 50 and Blue Ash would be up I-71 at the top of the 275 loop. I would go Boone Links over Lassing Pointe if I was going to Kentucky.

Shaker and Stonelick are two of the most over-rated courses in the state IMO.

[quote name='bunkeru2k' timestamp='1367519700' post='6959043']
[/quote]

A couple of others that have not been listed would be Aston Oaks and Blue Ash. Aston is along the river on Rt 50 and Blue Ash would be up I-71 at the top of the 275 loop. I would go Boone Links over Lassing Pointe if I was going to Kentucky.

[/quote]

Funny how we all have our unique preferences. Aston Oaks is nothing special to me and the course usually falls apart conditioning wise as soon as it heats up. Couple years ago they lost several fairways to what looked like a fungus or something. Last summer the fairways were burnt out. It has gotten to the point that I don't really look forward to playing it any more because something always seems to be wrong with it. Even their driving range is usually all beat up.

Blue Ash is tight but fun (I actually live close to the course) but nothing I want to play more than a couple times a year. I am surprised about your comments on Stonelick. I really like the layout and the conditioning has always been superb every time I play it (regardless the time of year). I do agree about Shaker Run. They layout is still great but the conditioning is nowhere near what it was 8 to 10 years ago.

[quote name='Frohlich' timestamp='1367521642' post='6959231']
[quote name='bunkeru2k' timestamp='1367519700' post='6959043']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Funny how we all have our unique preferences. Aston Oaks is nothing special to me and the course usually falls apart conditioning wise as soon as it heats up. Couple years ago they lost several fairways to what looked like a fungus or something. Last summer the fairways were burnt out. It has gotten to the point that I don't really look forward to playing it any more because something always seems to be wrong with it. Even their driving range is usually all beat up.

Blue Ash is tight but fun (I actually live close to the course) but nothing I want to play more than a couple times a year. I am surprised about your comments on Stonelick. I really like the layout and the conditioning has always been superb every time I play it (regardless the time of year). I do agree about Shaker Run. They layout is still great but the conditioning is nowhere near what it was 8 to 10 years ago.
[/quote]
So I had Stonelick and Blue Ash on my list of courses I wanted to try and play, so I glad those thoughts seem to be echoed here. Stonelick may be too far of a drive considering how hungover we intend on being. I originally was thinking it would be Shaker and Blue Ash. Hopefully, given that it's mid-June, Shaker won't be in bad condition yet. June normally is one of the best months from a overall color perspective for courses. Typically it isn't so hot yet where the course are burning out (think Aug last year when everything was getting blasted with heat damage). Either way it should be fun. As long as Blue Ash is decent than it should be fine. I prefer tight golf courses as it's what I am used to playing. Assuming the tee times work I will just do that. Thanks for the help!

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

I agree about Aston. Ever since a particular family bought that course, it's gone downhill. It used to be pretty nice. Heat destroys that course every year.

I am not a fan of Blue Ash....at all. I played there last in October, and decided that I won't go back. We only paid $20, and I still didn't find it fun. My Dad mentioned to me that years ago that course was top notch, especially the greens. I have played it about 3 times in the past 5 years, and haven't seen anything "top notch" about it.

I think some people feel that Stonelick is "overrated" because of the price they charge. It is pretty steep for the area. It's hard to argue that the conditions at that place aren't as good or better then any of the other public courses in the city. I guess one may dislike the layout?

Shaker has turned to the pits, unfortunately.

[quote name='somaplr' timestamp='1367511946' post='6958159']
[quote name='CincyCreech' timestamp='1367440116' post='6952975']
I played pipestone last week an was playing terrible it tore me up. I think it's definitely an underrated course! I felt like on the greens I could make everything. If I lived close to Yankee I would play there all the time
[/quote]

Yeah there are some tough holes. #2, #3 (extremely hard approach with that tiered green and tree), #4 is a tough stretch. #10, #11, #12, #13 is really not much fun either.
[/quote]

Agreed. i definitely want to play there here in a couple weeks when my game starts turning around.. A lot of holes fit my eye.. Just a couple non-sense holes, but i feel like you get that at every course.

My experiences with Stonelick have just not been positive, especially for the prices we were charged. I have played it 3 times...once per year...and it was just in terrible shape each time. The greens were burnt out and it was just blech. The layout is solid and if they dropped the price it would raise it up on my short list of places to play.. Aston has been hit or miss as well...and usually is in bad shape late in the year. Shaker is an OK muni, but no way should it be rated as highly as it is for top 10 munis in the state.

If Blue Ash is in good shape and have their greens like normal, they are slick and fast...which I tend to like.

Not many good ones come mid August. I mostly play in NKy. Trying Boone Links for the first time this year. Hopefully the greens are good.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

[quote name='Tarantula18t' timestamp='1367526171' post='6959733']
I agree about Aston. Ever since a particular family bought that course, it's gone downhill. It used to be pretty nice. Heat destroys that course every year.

I am not a fan of Blue Ash....at all. I played there last in October, and decided that I won't go back. We only paid $20, and I still didn't find it fun. My Dad mentioned to me that years ago that course was top notch, especially the greens. I have played it about 3 times in the past 5 years, and haven't seen anything "top notch" about it.

I think some people feel that Stonelick is "overrated" because of the price they charge. It is pretty steep for the area. It's hard to argue that the conditions at that place aren't as good or better then any of the other public courses in the city. I guess one may dislike the layout?

[/quote]

Only playing a course three times over 5 years, doesn't give you much realistic feedback of the overall condition of a course through the season...

[quote name='mikpga' timestamp='1367542246' post='6961169']
[quote name='Tarantula18t' timestamp='1367526171' post='6959733']

[/quote]

Only playing a course three times over 5 years, doesn't give you much realistic feedback of the overall condition of a course through the season...
[/quote] I never said the conditions at the course were bad, but they surely aren't what I would consider "great" which I have heard from numerous people. My problem isn't the conditioning as much as to me the layout is blah. I have played it 3 times, and 3 times is where it will remain. But hey, I like The Mill!

I played Stonelick a couple weeks ago. They are doing a large amount of construction on 1 & 2 (#1 was shortened to a 65 yd par 3!), and the course overall was not in great shape. They're discounting heavily to get players. My group of 7 accounted for half of their players on a chilly Saturday.

For staying downtown I would recommend the Northern Kentucky courses as easier to get to. I like Lassing Pointe, but it's more than 30 minutes. Boone Links is OK (I'm just not fond of the layout), but I really like Fox Run, in Kenton County, and the Willows at the same place is also good.

For your Sunday round I think you should look into[url="http://www.bestgolfmanagement.com/ms-home"] Majestic Springs[/url], near Wilmington. It's directly on your way back to Columbus. It's not long, but it's a neat layout in the middle of nowhere (and I appreciate being away from the houses around so many courses).

You guys are making Shaker sound worse and worse haha. If holes are under construction that doesn't sound like something I want to play right now. Ill take a look elsewhere.

[quote name='SilverBullets' timestamp='1367844727' post='6978462']
You guys are making Shaker sound worse and worse haha. If holes are under construction that doesn't sound like something I want to play right now. Ill take a look elsewhere.
[/quote]

The course he said had major construction was Stonelick. With that being said, we play an event at Shaker this Saturday at Shaker and the week after at Stonelick. I expect Shaker to be a wet muddy mess, but I can give you a full report on both.

[quote name='Tarantula18t' timestamp='1367859850' post='6979936']
I have some certificates for Scioto Reserve and Kinsale in Columbus, and am wondering how the courses are doing right now? Anyone been on either lately? I may just sell them if anyone is interested due to the 100 mile drive to play up there.
[/quote]
I can't comment on current conditions, but I played both a couple years ago and they are both top notch facilities. Both seemed to be flush with cash based on the amount they have put into them. Rare for these times. Well worth the drive if you can do them both in a day, which shouldn't be a problem.

[quote name='Tarantula18t' timestamp='1367859850' post='6979936']
I have some certificates for Scioto Reserve and Kinsale in Columbus, and am wondering how the courses are doing right now? Anyone been on either lately? I may just sell them if anyone is interested due to the 100 mile drive to play up there.
[/quote] While I haven't played there this year, I assume the courses will be in excellent shape right now. My club, which has nowhere near the amount of cash they have to flex, is fantastic right now. Maybe the best I have seen it conditioned this time of year ever (been there for 15 years). Everything is lush, greens are smooth and scary fast, fairways are firm and lush... I assume Scioto Reserve is no different. Also, Kinsale is boring, but Scioto reserve is excellent,

While i can't speak to conditions this year, i'm sure both Kinsale and SR are in very nice shape(except for fairly recent aerations). Kinsale just held the US Open local qualifier and typically punch greens afterwards. But i can tell you guys with no doubt things aren't super rosey money wise at either, budgets are being slashed and money hasn't been good for sometime now. Despite that the courses haven't suffered but it's just a matter of time before they do.

[quote name='TMadigolf' timestamp='1368320768' post='7014676']
While i can't speak to conditions this year, i'm sure both Kinsale and SR are in very nice shape(except for fairly recent aerations). Kinsale just held the US Open local qualifier and typically punch greens afterwards. But i can tell you guys with no doubt things aren't super rosey money wise at either, budgets are being slashed and money hasn't been good for sometime now. Despite that the courses haven't suffered but it's just a matter of time before they do.
[/quote]

IDK, most private courses in Columbus are struggling financially and you would never know by the conditions. The course I play struggles to break even and the only thing lacking are the fairway bunkers. I know fees have been slashed at Wedgewood in Columbus and for quite a while they were struggling to maintain membership... the course was still immaculate at all times. The clubs will cut unnecessary expenses, but, the course its self likely won't suffer much at all

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't played Sleepy Hollow since I moved away a number of years ago, but it was always one of the best courses around. And there is nothing close for a muni. Great, classic course.

Driver: Srixon 785 (Helium f4 49g) 3 & 5 Woods: TaylorMade M6 (FW 6s) Hybrid: Cleveland Launcher Halo  4 (22º) Miyazaki C Kua 60  Irons: Srixon 585 5-AW (Steelfifber 95s). Wedges: TaylorMade R-Series Tour Grind EF Spin Groove 52º-9, 56º-10 (KBS Wedge Shaft) Golf Pride MCC+4 grips. Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Flow, Double Bend Shaft, Stroke Lab Oversize Grip

[quote name='OSUGolfmike' timestamp='1370260833' post='7158682']
Does anyone know how much it costs to become a member at Brookside CC in Columbus? I would be joining as an intermediate member (age 32-39) but if you only know the full member initiation and dues that's fine I'm just trying to get a ball park number. Thanks!
[/quote]

I have the packet from 2012 when I was looking to join courses. The Intermediate Membership in 2012 was the following (full membership for golf, pool, tennis, etc.):

Initiation Fee - $11,500+tax
Dues - $418+tax
Food/Bev - $75 per month
Capital Fund - $60 per month

If you have a spouse that plays golf it's an additional $715 annually.

Again these numbers were for 2012 and may have changed but last year that's what they were. Personally, I would look at Wedgewood if I were you. IMO it's a better golf course and I'm pretty sure it's cheaper.

[quote name='OSUGolfmike' timestamp='1370266498' post='7159064']
Awesome thank you. Just to make sure, the dues of $418 are per month correct? Agreed on Wedgewood but coming from Clintonville would be kind of a hassle. Brookside wouldn't be too far.

Thanks again!
[/quote]

Yup... Again, these were last year's numbers. Not sure if they have any other promotions going on now. I would just go to their website and pop a email over asking. They will send you a packet.