2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

All Things Ohio Golf

hazebronso

[quote name='MaxPower328' timestamp='1377785721' post='7765023']
Hey Guys. I am going to spending quite a bit of time in Findlay for work over the next couple weeks. Any suggestions for good golf within 30 minutes?

Thanks!
[/quote]

The best course up there used to be Red Hawk, but they had money problems and it fell into disrepair the last couple of years. They have a new owner this year, and I hear they have made great strides this season in bringing the course back. I have not played there this year though.

You might also consider Stone Ridge in Bowling Green. Again, haven't played there this season (I'm about 90 min. south of Findlay) so I don't know the conditions there.

Wherever you play, report back on the conditions, please.

Driver: Srixon 785 (Helium f4 49g) 3 & 5 Woods: TaylorMade M6 (FW 6s) Hybrid: Cleveland Launcher Halo  4 (22º) Miyazaki C Kua 60  Irons: Srixon 585 5-AW (Steelfifber 95s). Wedges: TaylorMade R-Series Tour Grind EF Spin Groove 52º-9, 56º-10 (KBS Wedge Shaft) Golf Pride MCC+4 grips. Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Flow, Double Bend Shaft, Stroke Lab Oversize Grip

[quote name='Tarantula18t' timestamp='1377797140' post='7766215']
It seems like they are constantly making improvements. I'm waiting for what new major project they will do this year. I did notice that have a few bunkers out of commission they are working on. A few years ago they put all the rocks around the lakes. Last year I think is when they did some major renovating on tee boxes for #3, #6 (added one), and #13.

I think they ought to do something with #10. Add a fairway bunker out there to the right, or maybe a greenside bunker in the front. That is a pretty boring/bland hole.

Played there last week, and you're right, those greens are as good as I have ever seen them. I don't recall if they used to do so or not, but they are all cut with walkers now.
[/quote]

I completely agree with #10 being a bland hole. A large bunker just through the fairway would make the hole much more interesting and add some risk to going through the fairway.

I worked at Heatherwoode for a few summers during college ('05 & '06) and we used walk mowers on the greens back then.

Taylormade M3 w/ Tensei CK White-70X
Taylormade SIM 5 wood w/ HZRDUS Smoke Black-80X
Sub 70 699u Pro 2 iron 17* w/ HZRDUS Smoke Black-90X
Mizuno MMC 4-6 w/ Dynamic Gold- X100

Mizuno MP20 7-PW w/ Dynamic Gold-X100
Mizuno MP T20 50*, 54*, 58* w/ Dynamic Gold S-400 
Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

[quote name='MJP22' timestamp='1377886584' post='7772731']
Hey guys. Headed to te Dayton (Beavercreek) area for the holiday weekend visiting my wife's family. Looking to play monday and Tuesday at the very least. Usually I either head over to Yankee Trace or Beavercreek, any other suggestions?

Thanks. Feel free to PM me or post here.
[/quote]

Heatherwoode in Springboro, as mentioned here, is in excellent shape. I would play there before either Yankee or Beavercreek. Pipestone in Miamisburg has also been in great shape this year and is an interesting layout to play.

Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

A couple weeks ago I pulled into Hillcrest (Findlay) at around 5:30 and there was one car in the parking lot. Did they shut down?
The owner was a Hogan guy. At one time he had sets and sets of Hogan irons and woods. I'm saying well over a 100. Plus all the accessories you could shake a stick at.

PING G25 12 degree w/S+ @ 45"
Titleist 910F 17° / 910h 24° & 27°
Titleist 913Hd 20°
PING G25's 6-U KBS Tour - V
Cleveland RTX 53 / 588 56°
Callaway ProType ix 9ht

[quote name='dearth12' timestamp='1377886860' post='7772755']
It seems like they are constantly making improvements. I'm waiting for what new major project they will do this year. I did notice that have a few bunkers out of commission they are working on. A few years ago they put all the rocks around the lakes. Last year I think is when they did some major renovating on tee boxes for #3, #6 (added one), and #13.

I think they ought to do something with #10. Add a fairway bunker out there to the right, or maybe a greenside bunker in the front. That is a pretty boring/bland hole.

Played there last week, and you're right, those greens are as good as I have ever seen them. I don't recall if they used to do so or not, but they are all cut with walkers now.
[/quote]

I completely agree with #10 being a bland hole. A large bunker just through the fairway would make the hole much more interesting and add some risk to going through the fairway.

I worked at Heatherwoode for a few summers during college ('05 & '06) and we used walk mowers on the greens back then.
[/quote]

I think there is a lot of risk going thru the fairway as is. If you go thru, that green is super narrow from left to right, towards you. It's hard to attack that pin in addition to that because the two large humps on the right side. I'd selfishly wouldn't be a fan of it because if you play the tips you can't cut the corner anyways. But as you know, courses ADDING sand these days just doesn't happen much.

Cobra LTD Pro Matrix Ozik 75M4 Black Tie Xflex
TaylorMade TP R15 3W Fuji Speeder TS 8.3 Xflex
TaylorMade TP R15 20* Fuji Speeder 869 TS Xflex
Mizuno JPX-900 Tour 4-PW KBS CTaper Xflex
Mizuno T7 50,54,58 KBS CTaper Xflex
OdysseyWorks 38" 2 Ball Fang

[quote name='somaplr' timestamp='1377893612' post='7773391']
[quote name='dearth12' timestamp='1377886860' post='7772755']

[/quote]

[/quote]

I think there is a lot of risk going thru the fairway as is. If you go thru, that green is super narrow from left to right, towards you. It's hard to attack that pin in addition to that because the two large humps on the right side. [b]I'd selfishly wouldn't be a fan of it because if you play the tips you can't cut the corner anyways[/b]. But as you know, courses ADDING sand these days just doesn't happen much.
[/quote]

Maybe our definition of cutting the corner is different, but we do so all the time. You can be less then 100 out on that hole from the tips by cutting that corner. Not necessarily the "smart" play, but that is how I play that hole always. Every once in a while if I blow it to the right, or it doesn't hook/draw...then I am thru the fairway in the rough down there....normally in not much trouble. I guess I just meant that hole seems to be the most bland to me out there. The back 9 I think is one of the best ones around, but that hole sticks out like a sore thumb on the back. #12 is sort of a bummer also, but nothing they can do about that one.....can't move it back any further.

By cutting the corner I meant being able to get it realllly close to the green

Kymar and I are playing Brookledge this afternoon around 5-5:30 if anyone wants to join. It should only be $11 to walk till dark.

Hit me with a PM if you want to play so that I get a notification on my phone.

TE C722 9* House of Forged custom shaft XX
TE C722 15* Tensei AV-RAW White 7x

TE C722 18* Tensei AV-RAW White 8x

Ping I525 4-GW Project X IO stiff
Vokey SM8 54*
Vokey SM8 58*
Putter = flavor of the day. (EvnRoll ER11vx, 3 different Seemores,  TM TM2 Truss CS, Machine CS M2A Converter, 2 different Yes putters)
Maxfli Tour X or Vice Pro

Played at Snow Hill Golf Club on Monday:

It's a little oasis. I was shocked how good of shape it's in considering it's been public for several years now. It's only $600 a year to join. If I lived closer to it, I'd think about paying that to get a little diversity from the private club I'm a member at now. Greens are great and has some unique holes. Not an extremely long course from the tips, but they do have some interesting set-ups.

[quote name='somaplr' timestamp='1378311062' post='7796297']

It's a little oasis. I was shocked how good of shape it's in considering it's been public for several years now. It's only $600 a year to join. If I lived closer to it, I'd think about paying that to get a little diversity from the private club I'm a member at now. Greens are great and has some unique holes. Not an extremely long course from the tips, but they do have some interesting set-ups.
[/quote]

Shhhh!!!!! Don't get the word out on Snow Hill. My buddy from Columbus and I stumbled upon that place 3 years ago and it has become our " go to" course to meet up and play. Didn't expect much the first time we played it and we left blown away. Always in great shape and a fun layout as well. Usually can find great deals too. I never knew the price to join, but like you said if it was closer I'd love to join and play it more.

Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

[quote name='dearth12' timestamp='1378346468' post='7799505']
[quote name='somaplr' timestamp='1378311062' post='7796297']

[/quote]

Shhhh!!!!! Don't get the word out on Snow Hill. My buddy from Columbus and I stumbled upon that place 3 years ago and it has become our " go to" course to meet up and play. Didn't expect much the first time we played it and we left blown away. Always in great shape and a fun layout as well. Usually can find great deals too. I never knew the price to join, but like you said if it was closer I'd love to join and play it more.
[/quote]

Totally agree. I was not expecting that there at all. I was berating my buddy in the car on the way there from DYT...and he was just like, Man just wait and see with a smile on his face. Was literally blown away. We are going back soon b/c that's one of those places that has a few tricky holes in tee shot placements. Greens were awesome (outside of that long par 3 in the woods that had some wear, but that's typical for any hole in the woods).

I played Muirfield yesterday, and the course should look great for the President's cup. They punish the members though by letting the rough get to unbelievable lengths. They just let it grow wildly, and will cut it way down for the event. Most of the "pro" tees were closed down. They did add one on 18, to lengthen it by about 30 yards. The member tees are plenty tough. The rating and slope there are VERY high, and I would imagine it's mostly due to the bunkering. The bunkers are very penal, particularly the fairway bunkers, which are everywhere. Three times I got in one, and couldn't hit it more then about 50 yards. Advancing the ball in those is nearly impossible if you're anywhere close to the front.

It's a fantastic layout, with conditions that are nearly impossible to improve on (minus the rough, but that is on purpose).

Although the hustle and bustle at that club is sort of a turn-off. The facility starts and ends with the memorial, and everything is geared toward it. This year it is a bit out of the ordinary because they are hosting another huge event. The stands on the course are flat out ugly.

The course itself in my opinion is much better then the Golf Club.....but the Golf Club's atmosphere is head and shoulders above Muirfield. If they could somehow combine those two, I couldn't imagine a better private club anywhere.

[quote name='joekelli' timestamp='1378306820' post='7795921']
Kymar and I are playing Brookledge this afternoon around 5-5:30 if anyone wants to join. It should only be $11 to walk till dark.

Hit me with a PM if you want to play so that I get a notification on my phone.
[/quote]'

Dang I just saw this now, I would have possibly gone!

[quote name='Tarantula18t' timestamp='1378745845' post='7820049']
I played Muirfield yesterday, and the course should look great for the President's cup. They punish the members though by letting the rough get to unbelievable lengths. They just let it grow wildly, and will cut it way down for the event. Most of the "pro" tees were closed down. They did add one on 18, to lengthen it by about 30 yards. The member tees are plenty tough. The rating and slope there are VERY high, and I would imagine it's mostly due to the bunkering. The bunkers are very penal, particularly the fairway bunkers, which are everywhere. Three times I got in one, and couldn't hit it more then about 50 yards. Advancing the ball in those is nearly impossible if you're anywhere close to the front.

It's a fantastic layout, with conditions that are nearly impossible to improve on (minus the rough, but that is on purpose).

Although the hustle and bustle at that club is sort of a turn-off. The facility starts and ends with the memorial, and everything is geared toward it. This year it is a bit out of the ordinary because they are hosting another huge event. The stands on the course are flat out ugly.

The course itself in my opinion is much better then the Golf Club.....but the Golf Club's atmosphere is head and shoulders above Muirfield. If they could somehow combine those two, I couldn't imagine a better private club anywhere.
[/quote]

Glad you enjoyed your Muirfield trip. It to me is still the best course in town from a pure golf perspective. Fantastic conditioning, the layout is superb and it is a very playable course. The course really rewards great shots while penalizing bad shots. It sounds like a simply concept but it amazes me how many courses out there (tour venues at that) find ways to still penalized good shots.

What are your thoughts on the new clubhouse? I have not been in it yet, however, I attended the Memorial and saw it. I thought it looked completely out of place and thought it didn't really fit with the atmosphere of the course. It felt like it commercialized the entire course and setting. When I used to caddy there (and before that when I would play it as a guest) it felt like a excellent, exclusive golf club that also hosted a tournament, as opposed to a commercialized venue.

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

Yea, I agree......the layout and conditions are outstanding. One of the guys I played with also was a caddy there at one time. He says the exact same thing you do all the time. Which is how good the course is at rewarding good shots, and penalizing bad ones. The rough was just brutal, which made for some impossible up and down situations. The fairway bunkers also can make for some interesting/difficult shots. I hit what I thought were good drives on 7, 17 and 18. All three balls came to rest in fairway bunkers, about 5 feet from the front edge. Those good drives ended up not being so good. My caddie actually chuckled and said, "I have never seen three drives in one round end up in that bad of a spot in the bunkers." One of my partners hit into the left fairway bunker on 10, and I couldn't see him once he went down there to hit it. We played with one of the asst. pros and he said that in his opinion Muirfield is also the best in town. He has played all the good ones (Golf Club, Double Eagle, Scioto, etc). I don't think there is any question it's better then the Golf Club from a course perspective. Although like I said, for my money, the Golf Club is head and shoulders above Muirfield in the atmosphere and club part of it. .

The clubhouse, and the club for that matter are becoming exactly what you said.....very commercialized. I didn't even bother going into the new clubhouse. I just stayed over in the men's locker room/grill area. The new clubhouse area from the outside just looked BIG. The giant Rolex watch on the peak was a bit gaudy I thought. Once again, everything is geared around the Memorial, and that is all that matters. The members if you ask me don't run that club, it's the tournament. Very different from say the Golf Club where the ONLY thing that matters are the members.

I think Muirfield was one of the better layouts I have ever played on I would never get bored playing there. But I was really put off by the atmosphere, hustle and bustle of the place, and what seemed to be a golf factory, etc.

At the Golf Club a few months ago, I wasn't blown away by the course, but it was very playable, and fair. Conditions were of course on par with Muirfield, or anything else for that matter. The atmosphere is what makes the Golf Club. It's quiet, not a whole lot of people running around, or workers blowing by in golf carts. The parking lot is tiny, which gives you a good sign about the amount of play right away. The clubhouse is not real big, but it's great inside.

I doubt I will ever move to Columbus, but if I did, and was able to join one of the two, for my money, I would join the Golf Club over Muirfield.

Do they still have that noose hanging on that long par 3 on 15? lol

#3 or #4 is one of my favorite holes I've ever played. The one with the elevated green surrounded by all the wood/boards. It's pure sexy.

No, they got rid of the noose a few years back. A grounds crew member died on the hole, and they didn't think it was appropriate to keep the noose hanging in the tree. I guess they also cut the tree down because it started shading the green too much.

There is a pretty steep bank in the front and to the left of that green. The crew member was cutting the grass over there rolled the mower into the creek at the bottom, and drowned. That is what we were told by the member who hosted us.

#3 is the par 3 you're talking about with all the wood planks near it. They actually surround the giant bunker(s) that is near the green, with water in the front left as well. Pretty good looking hole from the tee.

You mentioned playing Moraine, and how fast the greens normally are. Unfortunately I found out they aerated them last week, and I am playing there tomorrow. I am sure a course of that caliber will have them top dressed nicely, and it will still be very playable. The member who is hosting us actually called to tell me, and wanted to see if I would prefer to change to another date. Since I had it lined up already, I decided just to give it a go anyway. Hope I didn't make a mistake!

Any tips on the place, other then stay below the hole?

Also played Brown's Run yesterday. Course is in pretty good shape. The rough is starting to burn out, but everything else was nice. Greens were rolling nice and true, with some decent speed. They had them VERY wet to the point that balls would hit the green, and stop immediately, or spin like crazy. There couldn't have been 20 people out on the course yesterday at 1:00. Definitely worth the play for anyone who hasn't made it out there.

Wow, that's crazy. I played there probaby 4-5 years ago.

Aw man, that stinks - but it's that time of year obviously. Maybe you can go back to get a true taste of those nasty (beautiful) greens. Best in SW Ohio undoubtedly when in season. From the tips, that course is just nassssssty (like a 74.5/145 rating). It will humble the heck out of you. I imagine you'll play the member tees, because hardly any members play the black. It's still about 6700 from the member tees.

Below the hole on the first 4 greens. Second green is almost a 45* (seems like it) green running towards the fairway. A great shot there is just short of the green and play for par. If the thrid hole hole pin is in the middle, aim to the far far left green for a landing spot and it will trickle back to the middle, fast.. On 5 (par 5), I usually hit my 200 yard shot off the tee to the bottom of the hill, then another 200 yard shot to about 115 yards for a sand wedge. If you don't carry it 260, it may roll down the hill anyways back at you. I'm a long hitter and even I wont try to get it up the shoot, because the top of the hill fairway is about 20 yards while, with that knee high brush on either side - if you miss it's a lost ball. Other than that, you're good to go. Get thru the first 4 holes. Course should looks awesome this time of year.

FYI: no cell phones on the course and take your hat off in the clubhouse

I'm playing Sat @ 10am there.

[quote name='Tarantula18t' timestamp='1378950826' post='7835609']
Yea, I agree......the layout and conditions are outstanding. One of the guys I played with also was a caddy there at one time. He says the exact same thing you do all the time. Which is how good the course is at rewarding good shots, and penalizing bad ones. The rough was just brutal, which made for some impossible up and down situations. The fairway bunkers also can make for some interesting/difficult shots. I hit what I thought were good drives on 7, 17 and 18. All three balls came to rest in fairway bunkers, about 5 feet from the front edge. Those good drives ended up not being so good. My caddie actually chuckled and said, "I have never seen three drives in one round end up in that bad of a spot in the bunkers." One of my partners hit into the left fairway bunker on 10, and I couldn't see him once he went down there to hit it. We played with one of the asst. pros and he said that in his opinion Muirfield is also the best in town. He has played all the good ones (Golf Club, Double Eagle, Scioto, etc). I don't think there is any question it's better then the Golf Club from a course perspective. Although like I said, for my money, the Golf Club is head and shoulders above Muirfield in the atmosphere and club part of it. .

The clubhouse, and the club for that matter are becoming exactly what you said.....very commercialized. I didn't even bother going into the new clubhouse. I just stayed over in the men's locker room/grill area. The new clubhouse area from the outside just looked BIG. The giant Rolex watch on the peak was a bit gaudy I thought. Once again, everything is geared around the Memorial, and that is all that matters. The members if you ask me don't run that club, it's the tournament. Very different from say the Golf Club where the ONLY thing that matters are the members.

I think Muirfield was one of the better layouts I have ever played on I would never get bored playing there. But I was really put off by the atmosphere, hustle and bustle of the place, and what seemed to be a golf factory, etc.

At the Golf Club a few months ago, I wasn't blown away by the course, but it was very playable, and fair. Conditions were of course on par with Muirfield, or anything else for that matter. The atmosphere is what makes the Golf Club. It's quiet, not a whole lot of people running around, or workers blowing by in golf carts. The parking lot is tiny, which gives you a good sign about the amount of play right away. The clubhouse is not real big, but it's great inside.

I doubt I will ever move to Columbus, but if I did, and was able to join one of the two, for my money, I would join the Golf Club over Muirfield.
[/quote]

That makes perfect sense. Yeah, IMO Village stands head and shoulders over Double Eagle and Scioto in terms of layout. I have heard from many people that The Golf Club is their favorite overall not only because it's a great course but because the club and atmosphere are truly special. Scioto is probably my least favorite out of the ones I have played. I like the course overall, and the fact that it's 2 miles from my house. but, I hate the club in general. Not big on the atmosphere, with their social memberships there are ton of local 'wanna-bes' from the community that flaunt like they are full members. The pool area gets insane during the summer. Normally I don't factor what's happening at the pool to the actual course but it's seriously right on the course. Its a great track though but it's typically a little busy.

Double Eagle, IMO, has the worst layout but has a great atmosphere. It's about as exclusive as The Golf Club. The few times I have played DE, there were all of 3 groups playing on that given day. Really like the place overall.

Glad you enjoyed Brown's run, my home course! Very few people know about it, and I really enjoy it (especially with so few people out there).

It has historically played wet, to keep those fairways cut very tight, but still green. But after quite a bit of urging from us players, they are currently trying to let dry it out a little more than they have in the past. But even now, It just seems like it does not drain at all (clay v. sand soil, I guess). As you probably found out, you won't get a lot of roll out there; my drives usually plug. But our greens are very very nice, and almost always in excellent shape and true. Speeds typically running at 10.5 now, a little slower with all this rain.

[quote name='Tarantula18t' timestamp='1378994530' post='7837673']
No, they got rid of the noose a few years back. A grounds crew member died on the hole, and they didn't think it was appropriate to keep the noose hanging in the tree. I guess they also cut the tree down because it started shading the green too much.

There is a pretty steep bank in the front and to the left of that green. The crew member was cutting the grass over there rolled the mower into the creek at the bottom, and drowned. That is what we were told by the member who hosted us.

#3 is the par 3 you're talking about with all the wood planks near it. They actually surround the giant bunker(s) that is near the green, with water in the front left as well. Pretty good looking hole from the tee.

You mentioned playing Moraine, and how fast the greens normally are. Unfortunately I found out they aerated them last week, and I am playing there tomorrow. I am sure a course of that caliber will have them top dressed nicely, and it will still be very playable. The member who is hosting us actually called to tell me, and wanted to see if I would prefer to change to another date. Since I had it lined up already, I decided just to give it a go anyway. Hope I didn't make a mistake!

Any tips on the place, other then stay below the hole?

Also played Brown's Run yesterday. Course is in pretty good shape. The rough is starting to burn out, but everything else was nice. Greens were rolling nice and true, with some decent speed. They had them VERY wet to the point that balls would hit the green, and stop immediately, or spin like crazy. There couldn't have been 20 people out on the course yesterday at 1:00. Definitely worth the play for anyone who hasn't made it out there.
[/quote]

"FYI: no cell phones on the course and take your hat off in the clubhouse"

Thanks........anymore I just assume every club is like that, particularly the higher end ones. Muirfield lets you know right away what the rules are. When you pull up to the gate, the guard hands you a business card size rule sheet.

"Double Eagle, IMO, has the worst layout but has a great atmosphere."

That seems to be the consensus from most people who I have talked to that have played it. What about the layout makes it not that great? Double Eagle is one of the private ones up there that I haven't had the opportunity to play, and don't know if I ever will.

"Glad you enjoyed Brown's run, my home course!"

Yes I do enjoy it. It is a good course that I have played a few times. It was a ghost town yesterday, which makes the day even more enjoyable I think.

[quote name='Tarantula18t' timestamp='1379012736' post='7839675']
"FYI: no cell phones on the course and take your hat off in the clubhouse"

Thanks........anymore I just assume every club is like that, particularly the higher end ones. Muirfield lets you know right away what the rules are. When you pull up to the gate, the guard hands you a business card size rule sheet.

"Double Eagle, IMO, has the worst layout but has a great atmosphere."

That seems to be the consensus from most people who I have talked to that have played it. What about the layout makes it not that great? Double Eagle is one of the private ones up there that I haven't had the opportunity to play, and don't know if I ever will.

"Glad you enjoyed Brown's run, my home course!"

Yes I do enjoy it. It is a good course that I have played a few times. It was a ghost town yesterday, which makes the day even more enjoyable I think.
[/quote]

It is obviously not the calibre of an NCR, Moraine, etc., but guests still love it when I take them out there, for that exact reason: No one holding you up, no one pressuring you from behind, no houses. Just golf. Quiet, peaceful, no pressure, enjoyable golf.

Played Moraine today....what a fantastic course. I am not a big fan of "classic" layouts, mainly due to the tiny piece of property they are crammed on. We played the TPC old white last year at Greenbrier, and we walked off less then impressed. Tiny piece of property, holes crammed right next to each other. Moraine seemed to have plenty of land between holes.

I didn't realize how much elevation was out there......it made for some great tee shots. We ended up playing the one ups, but the member had us go back on about 4 holes to play the tips. He thought we would like the views a bit more on some of the holes from the back tees.

I thought #5 was a great looking par 3 with all the heather surrounding the green. #8 from the tips was brutal. About 650 right into the wind. Another fun tee shot though from up there.

I chopped around the course for an 81, and managed to hit a whopping 3 fairways. I don't think I could have hit the driver any worse. Luckily I only found the waist high heather twice.

I did take your advice somaplr on #4....hit 5 iron, 5 iron, gap wedge...and made birdie.

I have played a few of the private clubs in Dayton now......CC of the North, Walnut Grove, Dayton CC, Sugar Valley CC, Sycamore Creek CC and Moraine....and Moraine is by far the best one of the bunch. I haven't played NCR yet, but my guess is that is the only one up there that can come close.

Yeah I played on Sat early and the greens at Moraine were unbelievably slow (for them) if you can believe
that (b/c of the aeration). Usually it's like glass.

The only club you're missing on that list is Miami Valley Golf Club in north dayton. It's seen hard times of late b/c of everyone migrating to south dayton - but it's just a beautiful true golf course. If you ever have the chance to play there do not hesitate b

Great report on Moraine. And I agree with somaplr. Try to hit Miami Valley if you can. Nice Ross gem from 1919. The greens have some great internal contouring.

You've hit a lot of the good courses so far. When you finally hit NCR, I think it will be in your top 2; let us know. For me, it is Moraine, then NCR; close at the top. Then later comes Miami Valley, then Springfield Country Club (another Ross design; can you tell I'm a fan of his?).

Played Longaberger on Saturday and The Golf club of Dublin on Sunday.

Longaberger was cart path only. It had rained all morning and was drizzling when we tee'd off.
The greens had been aerated a week to tens days prior. No big deal.
The course is truly a nice looking course.
According to the clubhouse during the Presidents Cup they will be putting ~160 groups out per day on Saturday and Sunday.
The majority of play on the course is from corporate outings.
As I said the aeration was no big deal but our group (8) to a man felt the greens were in terrible shape. The grass was sparse/thin. And the number of corporate players has taken its toll. They simply refuse to fix ball marks.
The course overall got the thumbs up. We'd go back if we knew the greens were in the condition one would expect at the price point charged.

The Golf Club of Dublin...
We all enjoyed the course.
For those who have not played the course... it has a links style feel to it. Nary a tree. A lost ball is very possible in the "rough".
The greens were in good shape considering the number of ball marks. We theorized people from the abodes surrounding the course were coming out at night and hitting shots into the greens.
The bunkers could be diabolical. Sometimes an unplayable was the best choice.
We will go back.

We came to the conclusion that golfers in the middle of the State do not like to fix ball marks. And when they do it is done incorrectly.

PING G25 12 degree w/S+ @ 45"
Titleist 910F 17° / 910h 24° & 27°
Titleist 913Hd 20°
PING G25's 6-U KBS Tour - V
Cleveland RTX 53 / 588 56°
Callaway ProType ix 9ht

[quote name='esketores' timestamp='1379948916' post='7897067']
Played Longaberger on Saturday and The Golf club of Dublin on Sunday.

Longaberger was cart path only. It had rained all morning and was drizzling when we tee'd off.
The greens had been aerated a week to tens days prior. No big deal.
The course is truly a nice looking course.
According to the clubhouse during the Presidents Cup they will be putting ~160 groups out per day on Saturday and Sunday.
The majority of play on the course is from corporate outings.
As I said the aeration was no big deal but our group (8) to a man felt the greens were in terrible shape. The grass was sparse/thin. And the number of corporate players has taken its toll. They simply refuse to fix ball marks.
The course overall got the thumbs up. We'd go back if we knew the greens were in the condition one would expect at the price point charged.

The Golf Club of Dublin...
We all enjoyed the course.
For those who have not played the course... it has a links style feel to it. Nary a tree. A lost ball is very possible in the "rough".
The greens were in good shape considering the number of ball marks. We theorized people from the abodes surrounding the course were coming out at night and hitting shots into the greens.
The bunkers could be diabolical. Sometimes an unplayable was the best choice.
We will go back.

We came to the conclusion that golfers in the middle of the State do not like to fix ball marks. And when they do it is done incorrectly.
[/quote]

haha about the ball marks. Longaberger, normally is not in bad shape like that. I have played it 3 times this year (once in May, June and July) and the greens had relatively minimal ball mark damage. I wonder if there was tournament or some event that the place was recovering from.

As for Golf Club of Dublin, I refuse to play there. The layout is decent, it's a fun course and certainly could be really nice but for the price and overall conditioning it feels like a total sham. I've played it a couple of times and every time the greens were a absolute wreck. I'm talking more ball marks than I have seen anywhere else.

So is the consensus that Shaker Run should go to the bottom of a list in the Dayton-ish area? Wife and I are figuring on a weekend down there, and it's proximity to the outlet mall made it quite convenient. But if it's going to be a disappointment I could try to make other arrangements.

Are the private clubs in Dayton receptive or cold to a call from my pro at my cluB? Or of the $200 guest fee variety? Could look at that as well. Would be staying close to Yankee Trace, so that would probably one of two courses I would hope to play while down there.

Thanks for any info.