2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

All Things Ohio Golf

hazebronso

I love the Buckeyes too, but boy did this thread go off topic!!!!

TE C722 9* House of Forged custom shaft XX
TE C722 15* Tensei AV-RAW White 7x

TE C722 18* Tensei AV-RAW White 8x

Ping I525 4-GW Project X IO stiff
Vokey SM8 54*
Vokey SM8 58*
Putter = flavor of the day. (EvnRoll ER11vx, 3 different Seemores,  TM TM2 Truss CS, Machine CS M2A Converter, 2 different Yes putters)
Maxfli Tour X or Vice Pro

This is a NIT team... Prob the worst loss for OSU bball in damn near a decade... I mean penn state at home? Ugly.

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

Penn State got hosed on some big calls in the last minute of regulation (out of bounds on Craft, OSU gets ball & scores; Laquinton Ross goal tends a basket as a guy gets fouled and they don't count the basket, etc.), and Ohio State still couldn't win. When a team starts two point guards who can't shoot from the outside and therefore do not need to be defended on the perimeter, that really hurts an offense. Moving Scott back to 6th man and starting Thompson, Loving, or Della Valle might help.

Then again, if Deshaun Thomas doesn't leave early to make a modest income somewhere other than the NBA, then the offensive woes are moot.

913D AD BB 6s
913 Fd 15 & 18 Blue S+ 82
Cobra S3 Pro
Vokey 52, 56, 60k
Ping Milled Anser

[quote name='RJD' timestamp='1391056770' post='8562892']
Penn State got hosed on some big calls in the last minute of regulation (out of bounds on Craft, OSU gets ball & scores; Laquinton Ross goal tends a basket as a guy gets fouled and they don't count the basket, etc.), and Ohio State still couldn't win. When a team starts two point guards who can't shoot from the outside and therefore do not need to be defended on the perimeter, that really hurts an offense. Moving Scott back to 6th man and starting Thompson, Loving, or Della Valle might help.

Then again, if Deshaun Thomas doesn't leave early to make a modest income somewhere other than the NBA, then the offensive woes are moot.
[/quote]

The fact is this is a rebuilding year. It's a shame that craft and LSJ have to end their careers with this team. OSU is only carrying 9 scholarship players (as opposed to the 12 that are allowed). This is a result of Jordan Siebert/JD Weatherspoon transferring and Sullinger/Thomas leaving early. Thad, instead of getting a few 3 star guys who will need a few years before they crack the lineup, decided to not use the scholarships and wait. It's given the Bucks the ability to go out and get 4 top 100 recruits next year, with a 5th (and the second overall player) having Ohio State as one of his final 3. They basically said, let this year go with what we have (the Kam Williams taking a redshirt I think really hurts the offense too).

With that said, I'm not completely ready to throw the towel in. I really think Thad needs to move Thompson back into starting lineup and move Scott to the bench. Over the course of the last 6 or 7 games Scott has done absolutely nothing. The offense seems to flow a little better with Thompson in there. Scott should only be used to give Craft a breather. Amir is extremely bad at times, but, I really don't know what you can. they have to play him because when he is out they have absolutely zero rebounding and inside presence. I get that he's not good, but, Trey is worse. And Q can't play down low when they go small like DeShuan can. They are kind of stuck.

[quote name='buckeyevalley' timestamp='1391260235' post='8577126']
Craft in the NBA? Are you serious?
[/quote]

He'll be a late second round pick but I would be shocked if he makes a team after the summer league.

People that say he has no chance are just obsessed with conforming to some ideology that having a weird shooting motion can't work in the NBA. People said the same thing about Kevin Martin, same thing about Marion, same thing about so many others.
Craft will probably go mid second round in my opinion and I'd be tremendously surprised if he doesn't get drafted. He is a no brainer fora tteam like San Antonio and I still think a mid second team is going to take a risk with him. He's someone that is going to be the hardest working guy no matter what team he is on and has always been in a winner. Not expecting him to be a top tier pg but I don't think he's a guy you can really miss on if you take him in the second. Second Rd picks rarely do anything, and I think crafts ability to lead a second unit immediately would be a bigger contribution that most second round picks. Crafts game is even more appreciated On an NBA level than a college one in my opinion anyway.

I don't think this is going off topic! Heck we don't have anything golf related to talk about, at least up by me.

I decided to skip watching the game today to go hit balls... I pulled up the score and watched the final few poessions on my phone on watch ESPN... Glad to see then right the ship for this game.

On a related note, it was first first time touching a club since sometime in mid September (clubs literally still had dirt all of them). I was pretty rusty and wouldn't consider it a very good range session but at least I got to swing the club a few times.

[quote name='pinhigh27' timestamp='1391288663' post='8579264']
People that say he has no chance are just obsessed with conforming to some ideology that having a weird shooting motion can't work in the NBA. People said the same thing about Kevin Martin, same thing about Marion, same thing about so many others.
Craft will probably go mid second round in my opinion and I'd be tremendously surprised if he doesn't get drafted. He is a no brainer fora tteam like San Antonio and I still think a mid second team is going to take a risk with him. He's someone that is going to be the hardest working guy no matter what team he is on and has always been in a winner. Not expecting him to be a top tier pg but I don't think he's a guy you can really miss on if you take him in the second. Second Rd picks rarely do anything, and I think crafts ability to lead a second unit immediately would be a bigger contribution that most second round picks. Crafts game is even more appreciated On an NBA level than a college one in my opinion anyway.

I don't think this is going off topic! Heck we don't have anything golf related to talk about, at least up by me.
[/quote]

Kevin Martin averaged 23 points a game in college. Marion was a star in college. The ideology isn't about the motion, it's about the basketball talent. The NBA wants scorers when it comes to role players. In the odd case they will use one of the few roster spots on a defender, it's going to be on a big guy who can block shots. Craft is none of these. I have no doubt he'll make a lot of money in Europe, but he won't be in the NBA.

He's the opposite of my boy Nik Stauskas. While this season he has improved many other things, my thoughts last year was the fact he is 6'6" and can shoot the lights out will get him a spot in the NBA. He's Kyle Korver but shorter. He doesn't have a lot of things he does well, but he has the most important thing he does very well. I'm still not convinced he will be a regular starter in the NBA, but he will have a spot for his shooting. Craft's defense, while very, very good, is not so much better than many other guys that they will use a spot on him over a guy who can bring other things to the table. You mentioned San Antonio. If you think Craft's offensive game is in the same stratosphere as Bruce Bowen, well, we'll agree to disagree. He's just not an NBA player.

To put a golf parallel, he's like the guys who make the final of the US Amateur or British Amateur, but never see any success professionally. He's very near the pointy end of the stick, but there are only so many spots.

[quote name='SilverBullets' timestamp='1391296331' post='8580270']
I decided to skip watching the game today to go hit balls... I pulled up the score and watched the final few poessions on my phone on watch ESPN... Glad to see then right the ship for this game.

On a related note, it was first first time touching a club since sometime in mid September (clubs literally still had dirt all of them). I was pretty rusty and wouldn't consider it a very good range session but at least I got to swing the club a few times.
[/quote]

Where did you hit balls? I watched the end of the game at the range today also.

For you Columbus guys....is Cooks Creek now called Raintree South? If so, what was the reason for that? I am assuming it was sold, but I always thought that course did well.

I played it about 5 years ago, and enjoyed it. Is it still worth the drive for me....about 90 miles to play it?

I remember the conditions were good, and the layout was pretty cool as well.

[quote name='Tarantula18t' timestamp='1391357624' post='8583688']
For you Columbus guys....is Cooks Creek now called Raintree South? If so, what was the reason for that? I am assuming if was sold, but I always thought that course did well.

I played it about 5 years ago, and enjoyed it. Is it still worth the drive for me....about 90 miles to play it?

[/quote]

Yes it was sold and is called Raintree South. I'm not sure why it was sold. I played it 2 years ago and still was in good shape. It's a great course and still worth the drive. Just make sure you don't play it after a good rain or in the spring because it still doesn't drain well, other then that still one of the best public courses around here.

TM SLDR 9.5 Matrix 6Q3
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 3W, 3 Hybrid
TM Rocketballz Stage 1 4 Hybrid
Speedblade 5-AW-KBS 90
Rossa CGB Fontana
Titleist Vokey SM5 54 & 60

[quote name='lov2golf4' timestamp='1391360539' post='8583942']
[quote name='Tarantula18t' timestamp='1391357624' post='8583688']
For you Columbus guys....is Cooks Creek now called Raintree South? If so, what was the reason for that? I am assuming if was sold, but I always thought that course did well.

[/quote]

Yes it was sold and is called Raintree South. I'm not sure why it was sold. I played it 2 years ago and still was in good shape. It's a great course and still worth the drive. Just make sure you don't play it after a good rain or in the spring because it still doesn't drain well, other then that still one of the best public courses around here.
[/quote]

I was surprised to see it sold as well. I haven't played it since the change of ownership but I do know in the years prior to the change the course conditions were really deteriorating. Ball marks are plentiful, there are many bare spots in fairways and ponds were mostly dried out. I had heard the conditioning fell as the owners got Northstar up and running and were building membership out there. Not sure if that's true but that's what someone at cooks told me (we used to have a league out there). Play had also dropped due to this. It kind became not worth the drive. It was a bummer to see really because it's one of my favorite layouts. I played it once last year and it was better but not great.

[quote name='Bluefan75' timestamp='1391308906' post='8581352']

[/quote]

Kevin Martin averaged 23 points a game in college. Marion was a star in college. The ideology isn't about the motion, it's about the basketball talent. The NBA wants scorers when it comes to role players. In the odd case they will use one of the few roster spots on a defender, it's going to be on a big guy who can block shots. Craft is none of these. I have no doubt he'll make a lot of money in Europe, but he won't be in the NBA.

He's the opposite of my boy Nik Stauskas. While this season he has improved many other things, my thoughts last year was the fact he is 6'6" and can shoot the lights out will get him a spot in the NBA. He's Kyle Korver but shorter. He doesn't have a lot of things he does well, but he has the most important thing he does very well. I'm still not convinced he will be a regular starter in the NBA, but he will have a spot for his shooting. Craft's defense, while very, very good, is not so much better than many other guys that they will use a spot on him over a guy who can bring other things to the table. You mentioned San Antonio. If you think Craft's offensive game is in the same stratosphere as Bruce Bowen, well, we'll agree to disagree. He's just not an NBA player.

To put a golf parallel, he's like the guys who make the final of the US Amateur or British Amateur, but never see any success professionally. He's very near the pointy end of the stick, but there are only so many spots.
[/quote]

I think Stauskus is improving very well. He's not going to get stuck in that shooting mentality and is putting the ball on the floor and learning to score.
Bruce Bowen is a 2 or 3. Craft is a pure PG. I don't really look to my backup PG to get me points. There is a difference between someone in craft's would be role and someone like Bowen's. Bowen used to be my absolute favorite player till I figured out he's a joke. Look up some youtube highlights. He's done enough awful and dangerous things to vince carter alone in my opinion to have been kicked out of the league. When we talk about purposefully trying to ruin guys' careers, that's just not right. I've played a lot of basketball in my life, and can honestly say that it is impossible to do the things Bowen has done by accident or in the flow of the game. You don't close out late after the ball is 10 feet from the shooter's hands. Just doesn't happen.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THGJJHln4Co
End rant about Bowen. Keep in mind, I used to love him, until I started noticing this as a trend.

Anyway, I guess I just don't understand when the concept of a true PG was lost. If you take a team like San Antonio or someone else with a good amount of weapons around them, having another facilitator is more important than another scoring weapon. Yes Craft most likely won't be scoring threat in the NBA, however if I need someone to play 10-15 minutes a game off the bench, play hard, selfless and make sure my guys that can score the ball are able to do so, he is my guy. Instant electricity for the team. Never have to worry about ANY problems, and someone you know that will bring it 24/7 and then some, along with great d. He's an nba body too. People act like he's small. Dude is 6' 2 and 200 lbs.

I also think it's a joke that the browns haven't tried Tebow(only when Hoyer is down), but hey thats a story for another day.

[quote name='pinhigh27' timestamp='1391361282' post='8584016']
[quote name='Bluefan75' timestamp='1391308906' post='8581352']

[/quote]

[/quote]

I think Stauskus is improving very well. He's not going to get stuck in that shooting mentality and is putting the ball on the floor and learning to score.
Bruce Bowen is a 2 or 3. Craft is a pure PG. I don't really look to my backup PG to get me points. There is a difference between someone in craft's would be role and someone like Bowen's. Bowen used to be my absolute favorite player till I figured out he's a joke. Look up some youtube highlights. He's done enough awful and dangerous things to vince carter alone in my opinion to have been kicked out of the league. When we talk about purposefully trying to ruin guys' careers, that's just not right. I've played a lot of basketball in my life, and can honestly say that it is impossible to do the things Bowen has done by accident or in the flow of the game. You don't close out late after the ball is 10 feet from the shooter's hands. Just doesn't happen.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THGJJHln4Co
End rant about Bowen. Keep in mind, I used to love him, until I started noticing this as a trend.

Anyway, I guess I just don't understand when the concept of a true PG was lost. If you take a team like San Antonio or someone else with a good amount of weapons around them, having another facilitator is more important than another scoring weapon. Yes Craft most likely won't be scoring threat in the NBA, however if I need someone to play 10-15 minutes a game off the bench, play hard, selfless and make sure my guys that can score the ball are able to do so, he is my guy. Instant electricity for the team. Never have to worry about ANY problems, and someone you know that will bring it 24/7 and then some, along with great d. He's an nba body too. People act like he's small. Dude is 6' 2 and 200 lbs.

I also think it's a joke that the browns haven't tried Tebow(only when Hoyer is down), but hey thats a story for another day.
[/quote]

You lost all credibility for me when you said The browns should try Tebow... C'mon. He's horrible. I'm sorry but he simply is not a nfl qb. On the craft note, I simply don't see him as more than a 3rd best pg in a nba team. He will get drafted but he won't make a team. David lighty was incredible on defense (not as good as craft but is argue he was the one of the best defensive players ohio state has ever seen) and he had a lot more offense than craft. He was a leader, a character guy and worked his a** off. The nba didn't even bat an eye at him.

Offense is a lot more important in the nba than defense. Craft is too one deminsional to play in the NBA.

You're not comparing apples to apples. Yes a guy like Lighty would be expected to contribute on the offensive end, but someone like craft really wouldn't be. Completely different situation for a point guard, and taking that a step further, a back up point guard. I don't really know of many situations where the backup PG is looked to for scoring.

Weeden might be the worst quarterback in NFL history. I don't care how bad people think someone is, there is 0 reason to allow someone like Weeden to play. Tebow can run. Weeden can not. I'm not sure how bad you think Tebow's passing is, but at worst I'd say they are equal to Weeden's.

[quote name='pinhigh27' timestamp='1391372487' post='8584962']
You're not comparing apples to apples. Yes a guy like Lighty would be expected to contribute on the offensive end, but someone like craft really wouldn't be. Completely different situation for a point guard, and taking that a step further, a back up point guard. I don't really know of many situations where the backup PG is looked to for scoring.

Weeden might be the worst quarterback in NFL history. I don't care how bad people think someone is, there is 0 reason to allow someone like Weeden to play. Tebow can run. Weeden can not. I'm not sure how bad you think Tebow's passing is, but at worst I'd say they are equal to Weeden's.
[/quote]

I can agree with that on weeden but that doesn't justify bringing in a sideshow/distraction with Tebow solely because of his name. You certainly aren't bringing him in because he is the future of your franchise.

[quote name='pinhigh27' timestamp='1391372487' post='8584962']

[/quote]

Craft won't be expected to score because he won't be on a roster. A backup PG is looked at to put a few points in and set the other guys up. Craft is nothing more than serviceable a tthe colleg elevel in those areas. Like sb said, offense is far more important, and there are many guys who are much better offensive PGs who never moved beyond backup. The things Craft can do just aren't valued by the NBA enough to use a roster spot on. They can easily get a guy who is *almost* as good defensively, and can put some points up.

He seems like a good kid, not getting himself in trouble, so as much as I dislike OSU I feel bad being so critical, but frankly if I were him, at least from a monetary standpoint, he's better off going to Europe than playing d-league and chasing the dream, at least for a couple of years. If he can develop a shot(a big if, but I won't say it's impossible), then he gets a look. But the D-League will wear him down IMHO. It's a farm system, yes, but almost seems like the place for guys without other options.

If craft plays more consistently like he did tonight than he certainly can make it to the nba... He has to make this the standard and not the anomaly

[quote name='ClarkGrswld4' timestamp='1391607559' post='8602401']
Silver, I think you are pretty homerish on Craft. No way he gets drafted if Brandon Paul wasn't for Illinois last year. That is unless, this is a terrible draft and there aren't hardly any PG's available
[/quote]

Lol I'm hardly homerish... Read the last 2 pages about craft where I have post after post ripping him apart. I'm just saying if he played all season like he did last night (driving the lane at ease, hitting 3's and jumpers, lock down d) then he certainly would have a shot I'm the nba. However, last night was the anomaly, not the norm.

Craft will get drafted late in the second round. I doubt he makes a team though. I mean s***, Diebler, lighty and Sconnie Penn even got drafted. Craft is head and shoulders above Sconnie.

[/quote]

Having a weird shooting motion and having a weird shooting motion with a shot goes in aren't in the same ballpark. Kevin Martin averaged 24ppg his entire college career man - it's not comparable. Having a perfect formed jumper doesn't mean it goes in, and having an ugly jumper doesn't mean it doesn't go in, trust me - I was one of the "good looking jumpers - not great jump shooters" in college.

This is a pretty deep draft. I foresee him having a pretty similar career arc that Jon Diebler has - drafted late second round, no guaranteed deal - probably ends up in Europe to refine his game - maybe gets a shot down the road.

All the "winner" talk doesn't mean a whole lot when it comes to NBA basketball - take a loot at Mateen Cleaves. His NBA career didn't last too long. Great college player, not a good NBA player. And Craft is a less capable Mateen Cleaves.

Cobra LTD Pro Matrix Ozik 75M4 Black Tie Xflex
TaylorMade TP R15 3W Fuji Speeder TS 8.3 Xflex
TaylorMade TP R15 20* Fuji Speeder 869 TS Xflex
Mizuno JPX-900 Tour 4-PW KBS CTaper Xflex
Mizuno T7 50,54,58 KBS CTaper Xflex
OdysseyWorks 38" 2 Ball Fang

Columbus area, if anyone is interested in playing a limited schedule of Tournament golf (Stroke play, handicapped), check out: http://www.centralohiogc.com

I joined last year, small group of guys play once a month April to September. $10 buy in (per year) and events are greens fees plus $20 (prize pot)...sometimes a skins game on the side.
Just looking for more people to play, the more the merrier, right?
They've developed a neat "Live scoring" phone app so each group can see how everyone else is doing, real time.

Send me a PM if interested and I can forward contact info.

[quote name='rrkman' timestamp='1391633127' post='8605209']
All things ohio golf? And I'm even an OSU grad and would rather see some golf talk in here. Lol.
[/quote]

I fully agree, but, given there is 7 inches of snow/ice in my front yard right now, there really isn't much to talk about. More or less just keeping the thread alive and sort of bonding with the other Ohio guys until there is even a thought of being able to play golf.

[quote name='somaplr' timestamp='1391632799' post='8605171']
Having a weird shooting motion and having a weird shooting motion with a shot goes in aren't in the same ballpark. Kevin Martin averaged 24ppg his entire college career man - it's not comparable. Having a perfect formed jumper doesn't mean it goes in, and having an ugly jumper doesn't mean it doesn't go in, trust me - I was one of the "good looking jumpers - not great jump shooters" in college.

This is a pretty deep draft. I foresee him having a pretty similar career arc that Jon Diebler has - drafted late second round, no guaranteed deal - probably ends up in Europe to refine his game - maybe gets a shot down the road.

[b]All the "winner" talk doesn't mean a whole lot when it comes to NBA basketball - take a loot at Mateen Cleaves. His NBA career didn't last too long. Great college player, not a good NBA player. [/b]And Craft is a less capable Mateen Cleaves.
[/quote]

Agreed. Sadly, Cleaves' best moves on an NBA floor were his sideline dances during the 2002 Playoffs when the Kings got [s]screwed[/s] beaten by the Lakers.

[quote name='SilverBullets' timestamp='1391697807' post='8609011']
All things ohio golf? And I'm even an OSU grad and would rather see some golf talk in here. Lol.
[/quote]

I fully agree, but, given there is 7 inches of snow/ice in my front yard right now, there really isn't much to talk about. More or less just keeping the thread alive and sort of bonding with the other Ohio guys until there is even a thought of being able to play golf.
[/quote]

OK, let's all agree that when the first 45* dry day comes around it's back to golf...until then....ANARCHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Cobra LTD Pro Matrix Ozik 75M4 Black Tie Xflex
TaylorMade TP R15 3W Fuji Speeder TS 8.3 Xflex
TaylorMade TP R15 20* Fuji Speeder 869 TS Xflex
Mizuno JPX-900 Tour 4-PW KBS CTaper Xflex
Mizuno T7 50,54,58 KBS CTaper Xflex
OdysseyWorks 38" 2 Ball Fang

[quote name='somaplr' timestamp='1391701444' post='8609363']
[quote name='SilverBullets' timestamp='1391697807' post='8609011']
[/quote]

[/quote]

OK, let's all agree that when the first 45* dry day comes around it's back to golf...until then....ANARCHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!
[/quote]

haha sounds good to me.

Anyone going to the Golf Show here in Columbus in a couple weeks? I haven't been in a couple years because last time I went it was pretty disappointing. Wondering if it's changed at all.