All Things Ohio Golf

hazebronso

[quote name='Imp' timestamp='1375234583' post='7572740']
Had the opportunity to meet up with SilverBullets and play at a course he's a member at this afternoon. 1st off, I cannot thank you enough for your/his gracious hospitality and opportunity to play. Great and challenging layout. :) Next time, schedule a little more time for food afterwards! :D And we did the whole round in 3.5 hrs. It... was... AWESOME to be able to play a round and not have to wait and play at a good, relaxed pace.

To keep the GolfWRX tradition alive there were a few constants that were proven yet again. 1) Vanity caps exist. I'm a 12, played a hair over my index, and shot 3 better than SilverBullets... and he's lower than I. :lol: 2) on the 18th hole, a 6 iron out of the rough will not go 200 yds. I cannot call myself a golfwrxer now... I have to turn in my card. I failed. 3) When 2 golfwrxers get together... it can be a fun, fun time.

Ohio people need to get together and play a few rounds together. There are some really fun courses around Columbus as I'm sure other places too. We may be strangers on the computer, but golf it the tie that binds.

Had a great time and hope to play again when I return. :)

--kC
[/quote]

hahaha glad I could prove the vanity cap theory for you! Definitely a rough round on my end, but I enjoyed it and was glad we could meet up. Hopefully next time you are in town my game (mainly my short game) will be in better order. I feel a little better that I realized while driving home I added up my back 9 wrong and I believe I actually broke 90 :censored2::censored2::censored2::russian_roulette: Let me know next time you are in town and if it's golf season we can catch a round somewhere (Hickory is always a option, or I can meet you somewhere) or if it's winter we can grab drinks/dinner. I apologize again about dinner but with the whole playing golf 3 days in a row and then heading on a 4 day golf trip I wanted to grab food with my wife. Gotta keep her happy so next time I can play and grab food right?

Anyways we should do a Ohio WRX outing. I think banding the Columbus folks with the Dayton/Cincy folks would be great. Could try to meet somewhere fairly centralized so it wouldn't be a overly long drive.

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

[quote name='Tarantula18t' timestamp='1374768929' post='7537086']
I wasn't a big fan of the Dayton CC. It was a decent place to play...once, but I am not in a hurry to ever get back there again.

Sounds like I better make the effort to play it.

What club in Dayton do you belong to?
[/quote]

Not trying to butt in, but yes, you should definitely make the effort to play it! (If it is not too late). Moraine, when I played it, was in the best condition of any course I played that year (a few years ago, we had some tough conditions in SW--hot and humid a long time, and quite a few very good private courses struggled with losing grass due to fungus. Moraine was did not. It was perfect; absolutely perfect.

Byron Nelson won the PGA there, so it has some history too. Getting to play where the greatest played is always quite fun (at least to me).

[quote name='Tarantula18t' timestamp='1370915912' post='7210586']
Does anyone know much about the Golf Club in New Albany. I can't find a whole lot on the on the internet about it. Apparently they don't have a website. Anyone played it?
[/quote]

Kind of a late response, and not much to add other than what others have said, but I have played it. It is a fabulous course. Many very strategic holes. Most memorable holes for me were No. 3 (a par three fronted by a pond, with multi-level bunkers; No. 8 (beautiful par three again fronted by a pond); No. 16 (a par three that was almost a dogleg and supertight); No. 13 (a par four with railroad ties everywhere near the green, and sand everywhere else); and then No. 18, with a gorgeous approach over water, to a green that also shares the same surface as the putting green. An outstanding experience, and a good, true test of golf. (The itinerant golfer has some great photos on his site).

Hey Guys, stopping in from the Michigan thread for a bit to post about my trip to Firestone CC yesterday. Eventhough I've lived in Michigan for 3 years this was my first time golfing in Ohio and what a great initial trip it was. I loved the setup of the South course. Since we had a grouping of different golfers with much different skills levels we decided to play the forward tees (6400 yards I think) which I'm sure took a lot of bite out of the course. You could get away with hitting 3 wood on the majority of the par 4s. I loved how most of the course was right infront of you. Since it was all of our first time playing the course it made a huge difference, eventhough we had a forecaddie that was assisting us. One thing I learned very quickly is to NOT leave it above the hole. Even though the greens were a little beat up from the tourney they were still running very fast. It was pretty cool to play with most of the grandstands and TV towers still around. We got to snap a couple pics infront of the official scoreboard on 18, which I birdied!

I am not sure how much public play that course gets and how hard it is to get out there, but it seemed like there were a lot of corporate outings going on. Also, our caddie said you could rent the condos along the 16th hole so they must take group golf outings. As we passed the west and north course they looked just as good! Anyways, had a terrific day and would love to get back to try out the other courses.

[attachment=1826400:IMG_0944.JPG]
[attachment=1826390:IMG_0957.JPG]
[attachment=1826386:IMG_0961.JPG]
[attachment=1826388:IMG_0960.JPG]
[attachment=1826392:IMG_0962.JPG]
[attachment=1826394:IMG_0956.JPG]
[attachment=1826396:IMG_0947.JPG]
[attachment=1826398:IMG_0945.JPG]

915D2 9.5* Rogue Silver
915F 15* Diamana White
915H 21* Diamana White 90
712u 4i, 712CB 5-6, 712MB 7-P; C-Taper
Scotty Cameron GoLo
Vokey SM4 50, 55K Grind, 60E Grind
WITB Link

Sounds like a fun trip. I haven't had the chance to get up there, but, it's certainly on my list.

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

I am in the Cincinnati area (Hyde Park) and looking for a decent practice range. I have checked out Little Miami in Newtown which isn't too far from me but the grass there is terrible (it is kinda long so the ball like sits down in it). I know it is difficult to find decent grass at a public practice range but anything somewhat decent that you know of would be great. Thanks.

Any reviews on the current condition of Elks Run?

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

[quote name='ilikegolf26' timestamp='1376100791' post='7645284']
I am in the Cincinnati area (Hyde Park) and looking for a decent practice range. I have checked out Little Miami in Newtown which isn't too far from me but the grass there is terrible (it is kinda long so the ball like sits down in it). I know it is difficult to find decent grass at a public practice range but anything somewhat decent that you know of would be great. Thanks.
[/quote]

Meadow Links & Golf Academy

I will give you a tour...

[quote name='mikpga' timestamp='1376228664' post='7652534']
[quote name='ilikegolf26' timestamp='1376100791' post='7645284']
[/quote]

Meadow Links & Golf Academy

I will give you a tour...
[/quote]

OK, yeah I checked out Meadow Links once but made the mistake, I guess, of buying a bucket and they told me I couldn't use the grass tees but only the mats. Haven't been to the Golf Academy. Where is that?

[quote name='Cwing' timestamp='1376228471' post='7652520']
[/quote]

I just played there this afternoon. It isn't doing too well in some of the fairways. A few of them were pretty bad....especially 14. The greens are very slow and shaggy. It's playable, but nothing like the old Elks Run, and probably never will be again. Not even remotely close to being worth the $60 they are charging on the weekends.

Bummer. GolfNow deal caddy has greens fee for $88 for a foursome w/cart after noon on weekends. I grabbed one so hopefully it will be worth $22 a man.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

[quote name='Tarantula18t' timestamp='1376268187' post='7656788']
[quote name='Cwing' timestamp='1376228471' post='7652520']
[/quote]

I just played there this afternoon. It isn't doing too well in some of the fairways. A few of them were pretty bad....especially 14. The greens are very slow and shaggy. It's playable, but nothing like the old Elks Run, and probably never will be again. Not even remotely close to being worth the $60 they are charging on the weekends.
[/quote]

I second. Played a couple weeks back. They had plenty of people working on the course and the bunkers were in great shape, but the tee boxes, fairways and greens left a lot to be desired. Definitely not the course that it was.

Hey guys looking for someone or 2 or 3 to play a round with this Thursday morning. I'm located in Springboro. Willing to go anywhere from Shaker Run up to Windy Knoll in Springfield and anywhere in between. Let me know if you're interested. Thanks

Taylormade M3 w/ Tensei CK White-70X
Taylormade SIM 5 wood w/ HZRDUS Smoke Black-80X
Sub 70 699u Pro 2 iron 17* w/ HZRDUS Smoke Black-90X
Mizuno MMC 4-6 w/ Dynamic Gold- X100

Mizuno MP20 7-PW w/ Dynamic Gold-X100
Mizuno MP T20 50*, 54*, 58* w/ Dynamic Gold S-400 
Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

Im in Springboro. Probably couldn't get out till afternoon though.

Cobra LTD Pro Matrix Ozik 75M4 Black Tie Xflex
TaylorMade TP R15 3W Fuji Speeder TS 8.3 Xflex
TaylorMade TP R15 20* Fuji Speeder 869 TS Xflex
Mizuno JPX-900 Tour 4-PW KBS CTaper Xflex
Mizuno T7 50,54,58 KBS CTaper Xflex
OdysseyWorks 38" 2 Ball Fang

[quote name='somaplr' timestamp='1377059109' post='7717322']
Im in Springboro. Probably couldn't get out till afternoon though.
[/quote]

We will have to get out sometime for sure then as I am always looking for some local people to play with. Tomorrow I have to be in Springfield by 315 for football practice so can't do the afternoon.

Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

Does anyone know if Beckett Ridge CC in West Chester is in good shape? Looking to maybe play there tomorrow.

Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

It's in ok shape. It's a shadow of its former self since they went public. It's horribly mismanaged but it's a decent track for the money. The biggest problem is that it is a b*tch to walk and if you play on a weekend youre in for a 5 hr round.

^^^^^

Great critique of what I saw this morning. Got a golf now tee time for $25 and I wouldn't pay anymore than that for the conditions. I haven't played there in about 7-8 years and it was no where near what I remembered it being. Also, my friend and I played behind a 3some that refused to let us play through even though there was nobody in front of them or behind us and we sat on many tees and watched them tee off. In hindsight we should have just jumped past them, but I guess we just kept expecting the play through to come. Not a ranger to be found.

Love the layout for a cart riding round, but I won't be heading back anyone soon.

Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

Hey Guys. I am going to spending quite a bit of time in Findlay for work over the next couple weeks. Any suggestions for good golf within 30 minutes?

Thanks!

915D2 9.5* Rogue Silver
915F 15* Diamana White
915H 21* Diamana White 90
712u 4i, 712CB 5-6, 712MB 7-P; C-Taper
Scotty Cameron GoLo
Vokey SM4 50, 55K Grind, 60E Grind
WITB Link

[quote name='dearth12' timestamp='1377197720' post='7726754']
^^^^^

Great critique of what I saw this morning. Got a golf now tee time for $25 and I wouldn't pay anymore than that for the conditions. I haven't played there in about 7-8 years and it was no where near what I remembered it being. Also, my friend and I played behind a 3some that refused to let us play through even though there was nobody in front of them or behind us and we sat on many tees and watched them tee off. In hindsight we should have just jumped past them, but I guess we just kept expecting the play through to come. Not a ranger to be found.

Love the layout for a cart riding round, but I won't be heading back anyone soon.
[/quote]

Just count your blessings it wasn't a weekend - it's a shame too, they have some great holes. Best public course in the area at the moment is Heatherwoode, it's just in fantastic shape. Greens are awesome.

[quote name='somaplr' timestamp='1377786105' post='7765063']
^^^^^

[/quote]

Just count your blessings it wasn't a weekend - it's a shame too, they have some great holes. Best public course in the area at the moment is Heatherwoode, it's just in fantastic shape. Greens are awesome.
[/quote]

Live right by Heatherwoode and you are spot on. Every year they keep that place up almost like a country club even though they get a solid amount of play. Great job by the maintenance staff there.

Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

[quote name='somaplr' timestamp='1377138689' post='7723040']
It's in ok shape. It's a shadow of its former self since they went public. It's horribly mismanaged but it's a decent track for the money. The biggest problem is that it is a b*tch to walk and if you play on a weekend youre in for a 5 hr round.
[/quote]

I feel like the condition is above average for a lot of public courses. However, I agree that the management blows and sometimes it does take a very long time to play a round. I wouldn't recommend walking either.

"Golf is a stupid game." --Dad

[quote name='dearth12' timestamp='1377793837' post='7765845']
[quote name='somaplr' timestamp='1377786105' post='7765063']
^^^^^

[/quote]

[/quote]

Live right by Heatherwoode and you are spot on. Every year they keep that place up almost like a country club even though they get a solid amount of play. Great job by the maintenance staff there.
[/quote]

I do as well. They have great rangers there that keep the pace moving as well. Best I've seen on any public track (especially the new older gal, she is on point). Everyone from Jerry (starter) to the pro Matt to the instructor Brad are top notch.

It seems like they are constantly making improvements. I'm waiting for what new major project they will do this year. I did notice that have a few bunkers out of commission they are working on. A few years ago they put all the rocks around the lakes. Last year I think is when they did some major renovating on tee boxes for #3, #6 (added one), and #13.

I think they ought to do something with #10. Add a fairway bunker out there to the right, or maybe a greenside bunker in the front. That is a pretty boring/bland hole.

Played there last week, and you're right, those greens are as good as I have ever seen them. I don't recall if they used to do so or not, but they are all cut with walkers now.