judging players by their bags

MtlJeff

Have read this topic many times so why not..

Driver: Cobra Fly-Z w/ Aldila Tour Green

3 & 5 Wood: TM Burner

Hybrid: Cobra Fly-Z 23.5*

Irons: Mizuno MX 200 5-GW

Wedges: Scratch 8620 56 & 60

Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.0

Cobra Fly-Z
TM Burner 3 & 5
Cobra Fly-Z Hybrid 23.5*
Mizuno MX 200 5-GW
Scratch 8620 56 60
Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.0

Have read this topic many times so why not..

Driver: Cobra Fly-Z w/ Aldila Tour Green

3 & 5 Wood: TM Burner

Hybrid: Cobra Fly-Z 23.5*

Irons: Mizuno MX 200 5-GW

Wedges: Scratch 8620 56 & 50

Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.0

Neo, is that you? Do they golf in the Matrix? What if I told you this set of clubs is as good as any money can buy? No, don't take the red pill, I'm speaking the truth. Take the blue pill. Wake up and go golfing!

Mainflow knows the ins and outs of the Matrix. He knows that he could spend way more money and not have a better set. Especially for himself. But who is he?

MF started golfing about 20 years ago. His mentors would have been using blades and Pittsburgh Persimmon TaylorMade woods. MF loves a classic club but wants not to be limited in this game of golf. As a 9 hcp he knows what truly works and what doesn't. Slowly upgrading the long game to Cobras, the driver and hybrid come first. Why? They get used. MF plays an older classic course and can walk easily around the track in a speedy clip. His friends play all kinds of games and Saturday morning golf has been a staple for the last 10 years.

The TaylorMade 3 and 5 wood speak a decent long game, but the classic course at 6100 yards doesn't really require such clubs, so why upgrade? The Mizuno irons shout quality. They sound like they're blades like his mentor's used, but they actually are quite forgiving. Perfect for all the 120-175 yard par 3's his course has. Scratch Wedges. TBA, I don't know much about them, but they look very nice and google quite nicely as well. 15 years ago MF tried all kinds of wedge combos, but settled on a perfectly gaped 50 and 56. Let's face it, if these clubs don't work, it is the golfer, not the club! Besides, in the Saturday morning group, MF is the dot king!

Check out the putter! A Scotty Cameron Fastback! Don't you love it when your kids kick in and buy you the perfect 55th birthday gift? The course you play, while not long has perfect greens. A good putter is a must. You kind of miss the old Ping Pal you used in honor of Tom Watson, but the Scotty will never be replaced.

Is it Saturday yet?

Callaway Big Bertha 816 DBD Fujikura 661 Motore Speeder x-stiff

Titleist 913 FD 15* Aldila Rogue Black 80 Stiff

Mizuno FliHi Clk 17* DGS300 Stiff

Mizuno MP-53 3-PW DGS300 Stiff

Titleist Vokey 200 56.14 Oil Can

Titleist Vokey SM4 60.08 Oil Can

Odyssey Tank Cruiser 7

Something about bags like this always just screams good player to me. It also reminds me a ton of my own which is maybe why i like it. You aren't brand loyal but probably try to match up by "segment" as much as possible. Like me you probably have the Fli-Hi just because your irons are Mizunos and you thought it makes sense to have the hybrid too. If you switched you'd probably use a Titleist because your FW is a titleist.

You're a "feel" wedge player which is why you're comfortable with the big gap. Probably use your PW for anything outside of 75yds and you can flight it any number of ways.

You're a big hitter but not THAT big, probably carry about 260

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Srixon ZX 19h w/PX hzrdus Red 80

Mizuno MP241 4-PW w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Mizuno MP24 52 w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Cleveland RTX6 60/10--Spinner

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Curious what my bag is thought of now... I pretty much went the most forgiving i can hit.

Ping G30 LST 9- Kuro Kage XTS 70 X

Callaway X Hot 3 deep 14.5- Fuji Rombax P 95 X

Adams DHY 21- KBS Hybrid X

Callaway Apex CF 5-Pw- Project X 6.5 HS

Titleist SM4 47-52-57-62- KBS 610 S+

Bettinardi Kuchar Half Moon 2

Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 7*........................Project X Smoke Green 60 TX
Taylormade Stealth Plus 13*.........................Fujikura Ventus Black 8X
Taylormade Stealth Plus 17*.........................Fujikura Ventus Black 9X

Srixon ZX Utility 3..........................................Fujikura Ventus Black 10TX
Srixon ZX Utility 4..........................................Dynamic Gold X7
Srixon ZX7 5-9...............................................Dynamic Gold X7
Cleveland Zipcore Raw 47, 53......................Dynamic Gold X7

Vokey Wedge Works V Grind 59..................Dynamic Gold S400
Yes! Ann.........................................................KBS GPS 120

Callaway Big Bertha 816 DBD Fujikura 661 Motore Speeder x-stiff

Titleist 913 FD 15* Aldila Rogue Black 80 Stiff

Mizuno FliHi Clk 17* DGS300 Stiff

Mizuno MP-53 3-PW DGS300 Stiff

Titleist Vokey 200 56.14 Oil Can

Titleist Vokey SM4 60.08 Oil Can

Odyssey Tank Cruiser 7

Something about bags like this always just screams good player to me. It also reminds me a ton of my own which is maybe why i like it. You aren't brand loyal but probably try to match up by "segment" as much as possible. Like me you probably have the Fli-Hi just because your irons are Mizunos and you thought it makes sense to have the hybrid too. If you switched you'd probably use a Titleist because your FW is a titleist.

You're a "feel" wedge player which is why you're comfortable with the big gap. Probably use your PW for anything outside of 75yds and you can flight it any number of ways.

You're a big hitter but not THAT big, probably carry about 260

Pretty accurate and a fun response to read. Low cap, ex-college player from a while back. For drivers I have either been TaylorMade or Callaway since as far back as I can remember. Lately been on a string of Callaway drivers with the DBD being a very recent replacement head for my BB Alpha (2014). Same great feel, a little longer, more forgiving and love the matte black head. Always had a soft spot for the Ping Anser driver as I have an Anser 3wd as a back up.

The Mizuno irons are relatively new (4yrs) but the Mizuno Hybrid has been in the bag since 2004 and until it breaks will never leave my bag. Love that thing as it is the most dependable club in my bag. However, if I did I do really like the Titleist hybrids so it would be the leading candidate. Before the MP-53s I played Maxfli Rev Blacks and then Titleist (690 MBs and 735s). Love the soft feel of the Mizunos and they gave me more forgiveness where I need it since I don't play that much these days (i.e. young kids).

I have a Vokey 52* but never play it since I love hitting a knockdown PW which covers the gap (PW-135, SW-110). 120 yard flighted PW is probably my favorite shot to hit.

Since all my clubs outside my driver are stiff I would have made the same assumption about distance but need to add about 10-15 yards of carry. Still long but not THAT long! I could probably play extra in my fairways and irons but I am just really comfortable with stiff since that is what I have played for so long. At times I have even played stiff in driver but those shafts were pretty stout (RIP Alpha Red, Proforce V2). Really, really like the 661 in XS given how smooth it plays. Probably can also get away with stiff since I have a smoother transition.

Class of 2015-16

Titleist Tour Staff Bag

Titleist 913 D3 Rogue Black/X

Titleist Tour Model 2-iron (DG X100) (My 240 club)

Titleist 714 MB's 3-9 (DG S300)

Vokey SM5's 46, 50, 54, 57 (bent 56)

Scotty Newport

ProV1X

FJ ICON's

No apparel loyalty, I wear some of everything, except Swoosh!!.......

P.S - I have 3 slightly used sets of Mizuno irons, and a set of Srixon's still in the box. A few drivers, and a Cleveland wedge set. All anxious to be back in the rotation. I'm not a Titleist fanatic, it just works right now, although my handicap has been rising.....FJ, Vokey, and the ProV1X are permanent......

Class of 2015-16

Titleist Tour Staff Bag

Scotty Newport

ProV1X

FJ ICON's

You like a classic look to your equipment and are a believer in the Titleist quality. May have had some issues with the quality of products from other companies like Callaway and Ping in the past.

Definitely not into oversized cavity backs.

Carrying a 2-iron and 3-iron tells me you can play with competency. Probably get more of a kick out playing the game than being up-to-date with the latest equipment and have some general skepticism towards equipment companies. But by the same token you don't want to be outdated.

RH

Fun one from a recent round I played. This was the bag of a playing partner:

TM M2 9.5* (Set to 11.5*) w/ Tour Blue S

TM R15 15* w/ Speeder 757 TS S

Titleist 712 CB 3-7i

Titleist 712 MB 8-PW

SM6 54F, 58S, 62M

Scotty Newport 2

PXG 0811X+ 10.5* (12*)

CW Epic Flash 5W 

TM M3 3H & 4H

TM RocketBladez HL 5-PW

W/S PMP 52*, 56*, 60*

Cleveland HB Soft #1

Curious what my bag is thought of now... I pretty much went the most forgiving i can hit.

Ping G30 LST 9- Kuro Kage XTS 70 X

Callaway X Hot 3 deep 14.5- Fuji Rombax P 95 X

Adams DHY 21- KBS Hybrid X

Callaway Apex CF 5-Pw- Project X 6.5 HS

Titleist SM4 47-52-57-62- KBS 610 S+

Bettinardi Kuchar Half Moon 2

"Bet that dude has near a 1000 posts on golfwrx.com."

I've changed my bag over 80 times. Seriously. This is the bag I never sale. Two reasons, one not worth much and two just works for me.

983K 9.5 degree

V-Steel 15 degree

2-PW Ping Zing 2

Ping Eye 2 SW

Macgregor Bullseye Putter

"Knows what he's doing on the course and it's probably best not to talk about anything contentious. It'll be a pretty easy-going day and we'll probably end up talking about baseball, recent home improvements and/or craft beer."

Air Force One DFX Black 10.5 Matrix Rul 60 Stiff

Adams F11 Ti 15* UST Mamiya Elements Wind 6F4

Adams New Idea Hybrids 19 and 22 Bassara 71 Stiff

Adams CB2 5-GW KBS Tour 90 Stiff (2* Weak and 2* UP)

Titleist Vokey SM5 Tour Chrome 54/S and 58/M (2* UP)

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 34"

B330 RXS

Ogio Stars and Stripes Bag

Under Armour and Puma Apparel

Adidas Tour 360 M1 Shoes

Callaway X-Spann Glove

Generally Titleist hat sometimes Bridgestone Digi Camo

I listed everything for good measure :taunt:

Ping G Elements Chrome 5F4
Srixon F65 17 Stock Stiff

Ben Hogan VKTR+ 18 Stock Recoil

Titleist AP2 716 DG SL TI S300 4-PW

Titleist SM5 Tour Chrome 50/08 F, 54/10 M and SM7 58/14 K Grind S300

Taylormade Ghost Tour Black Indy

Titleist 712 CB 3-7i

Titleist 712 MB 8-PW

SM6 54F, 58S, 62M

Scotty Newport 2

Thinks nothing is better than any Taylormade model driver. Hits it 290 on a dry day, occasionally in the fairway. Thinks he is a better ball striker than he actually is. Plays a Scotty because he doesn't know there are 100 other options at that price point. Plays to about an 8 handicap. Misses a lot of putts inside 5 feet. Works in the marketing.

Ping G Elements Chrome 5F4
Srixon F65 17 Stock Stiff

Ben Hogan VKTR+ 18 Stock Recoil

Titleist AP2 716 DG SL TI S300 4-PW

Titleist SM5 Tour Chrome 50/08 F, 54/10 M and SM7 58/14 K Grind S300

Taylormade Ghost Tour Black Indy

I've changed my bag over 80 times. Seriously. This is the bag I never sale. Two reasons, one not worth much and two just works for me.

983K 9.5 degree

V-Steel 15 degree

2-PW Ping Zing 2

Ping Eye 2 SW

I like this bag. Why? It could be mine. You played college golf in the early 1990s. Played a Ping Zing putter for years, and still do, except the Bullseye is a little better at 3 footers. You loved watching Curtis Strange win back to back Opens with his Zing putter. You had the first Zing irons, but they had a crazy flange and the shafts kinked. The Zing 2s were a huge improvement. These irons have lived in the closet for years, bUT the long irons are so nice that you keep them. You're on your second 983 driver. You cracked the first one on a cold day at the driving range. Try a bonded TM RBZ driver. I really like mine, first club I've liked since the 983. My V-steel 3 wood is now my back up as I like my 16 degreen retro raylor as much. Do you ever play a minimalist set? It would be easy for you as you only carry the eye 2 SW. I play my minimalist set (see sig) exclusively now as I love to carry a lightweight single strap bag. Good luck!

Titleist 712 CB 3-7i

Titleist 712 MB 8-PW

SM6 54F, 58S, 62M

Scotty Newport 2

Thinks nothing is better than any Taylormade model driver. Hits it 290 on a dry day, occasionally in the fairway. Thinks he is a better ball striker than he actually is. Plays a Scotty because he doesn't know there are 100 other options at that price point. Plays to about an 8 handicap. Misses a lot of putts inside 5 feet. Works in the marketing.

There are many truths to this. He's actually the associate pro at the course I played, we got paired together for the scramble that evening. He said he was a 3, but was probably a few worse from being out of practice. He drove it close to 290 and possibly further, and accurately. He did miss a straight sub 5' birdie putt after our D player missed it first.

PXG 0811X+ 10.5* (12*)

CW Epic Flash 5W 

TM M3 3H & 4H

TM RocketBladez HL 5-PW

W/S PMP 52*, 56*, 60*

Cleveland HB Soft #1

just for you

TM R1; Stock Rogue R Flex.

Adams Tight Lies Ti 5w; Stock R Flex

Cleveland Mashie 3h,5h Stock R Flex

Nike Covert 2 Forged irons PW-5i; SteelFibre i95 R flex shafts; 2* flat

Cleveland 588 51*; 2* flat

MD Golf Seve 58*; 2* flat

Yes Sandy 32"

Bridgestone Tour B330 RX/RXS

IDK if I'm doing this right, but I'll give it a try :

I'd say you're shorter in stature, probably around 5'7". You base your club selection only on performance/feel/appearance, there's no brand loyalty involved. You're a calculating, fairly consistent player, but lack in the length department some. I'd say you play to around a ~11 cap

How did I do?

I'd say you were spot on, well done :-)

Class of 2015-16

Titleist Tour Staff Bag

Scotty Newport

ProV1X

FJ ICON's

P.S - I have 3 slightly used sets of Mizuno irons, and a set of Srixon's still in the box. A few drivers, and a Cleveland wedge set. All anxious to be back in the rotation. I'm not a Titleist fanatic, it just works right now, although my handicap has been rising.....FJ, Vokey, and the ProV1X are permanent......

If not for the P.S. I would say you a

were a bona fide fanboy.

I usually judge them on their vehicle by the bag drop. I have read enough threads abouts clubs to cars to guess what they are playing.

Callaway BBV 10.5 Neutral w/ 44.5 inch Motore 565 speeder shaft stiff
Callaway BBV 3 Wood, 15.5 stiff, 5 Wood 19 stiff
Callaway X2 Hot 19 Hybrid stiff
Callaway X2 Hot 4-PW
Ping Glide 50 SS
Cleveland CG16 , 56
Wilson Staff Grant Park Putter

I usually judge them on their vehicle by the bag drop. I have read enough threads abouts clubs to cars to guess what they are playing.

So I'm curious. Could you do the reverse? Bag in sig... what do I drive? Lol

Definitely a Mercedes AMG S-63 coupe. You fit the description. :taunt:

True story. Eons ago ('05-'06?), my co-worker told me to check out the semi-private course by his house in Long Island. I got paired up with a threesome. We were having a good day, except one of the guys who was shooting horribly. He started blaming his Walmart clubs, and then turned his attention to me and my TMAG's. "Maybe if I was rich like Danny I could buy a better game." His friends told him to chill out but he was "off the reservation" for the rest of the round. We finished the round and walked to the parking lot together. The guy who was busting my chops noticed an AMG in the parking lot and said "That's probably your car, isn't it?" I said "I can't even begin to figure out how to fit in that car. I'm just gonna to my wife's Rav-4 and call it a day. See you, guys."

If that guy could only see my bag now! :pimp:

Driver: Callaway Epic Max - 10.5 Deg - GD Tour AD HD - 5S
4 Wood: Callaway Epic Speed - 16.5 Deg - GD Tour AD MT - 6S
Irons: Callaway Epic Forged - 4i-SW - Aerotech Steelfiber FC90-F4
Wedge:Fourteen RM-21 - 58/12 - Recoil 110 F4
Putter: Taylormade Spider Tour Black #7 - 33"
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x 
Bag: Sun Mountain C-130 or Four5[/font][/size][/b]

Air Force One DFX Black 10.5 Matrix Rul 60 Stiff

Adams F11 Ti 15* UST Mamiya Elements Wind 6F4

Adams New Idea Hybrids 19 and 22 Bassara 71 Stiff

Adams CB2 5-GW KBS Tour 90 Stiff (2* Weak and 2* UP)

Titleist Vokey SM5 Tour Chrome 54/S and 58/M (2* UP)

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 34"

B330 RXS

Ogio Stars and Stripes Bag

Under Armour and Puma Apparel

Adidas Tour 360 M1 Shoes

Callaway X-Spann Glove

Generally Titleist hat sometimes Bridgestone Digi Camo

I listed everything for good measure :taunt:

I'll give it a try!

That's a lot of detail, could be the classic club ho, in a good way. Has access to outdoor launch monitor and uses it frequently to test his equipment.

Knows what works and doesn't. Tested a lot of equipment and is not afraid to change. If I'm reading the driver shaft correctly at 60 grams, better than average length for his swing speed, i.e center of club face ball striker.

Good player and a range rat, practices more than plays. Excels in driving and wedge play.

My bag:

Ping g lst, 9 degrees, 45.25, rogue I/o 60 stiff

3 wood, rocketbalz stage 2 tour, stock matrix stiff: ping g25 hybrid, 17 degree stock stiff.

Mizuno mp 53 3-pw, kbs tour stiff. Cleveland 52,58 wedges kbs tour stiff. Putter: not enough room to list all of them, practice green today will be a Ray Cook blue goose heel shaft at 32.5 from the early 90's.

Southern transplant<br /><br />Ping G LS Tec 9.0<br /><br />Aldila Rogue I/O 60 S<br /><br />RBZ stage 2 tour 3 wood stock shaft-S<br /><br />Ping G25 20* hybrid, stock shaft-S<br /><br />Srixon Z945 4-PW KBS tour Stiff<br />Titleist SM7 50 (8), SM7 54 (10) & SM6 58 (8) stock shaft<br /><br />Odyssey #9 white hot pro

I've been a member for quite some time but never played this so here goes...

Nike Flex 440

Ping i20 14* Motore Speeder

Ping i20 20* VTS tour spx

Ping Anser (2012) Recoils

SM5 Vokey wedges

Odyssey Tank #7

Srixon Z Star XV or TM TPx

All in a Ping Hoofer bag

Curious...

Very good ballstriker, probably one of the better fairway wood players you know. Probably change 1 club a year maybe 2....probably turn a full bag in 3-4 years. You could play smaller irons than the Ping Anser and probably have, you don't need the forgiveness you just think they look nice, and also were probably curious to try Ping's first forging and they just stuck. You've owned a set of blades and probably still have them in your closet. I am guessing mizuno's , maybe Mp32's that'd be my guess

You went to the Odyssey Tank because you missed too many 5 footers and you've gotten better since switching. I am guessing it's the most secure club in your bag right now, and if your bag got stolen it would be the one you didn't even think about changing

Very close analysis in my personal opinion of my game!

I have played the MP33, s57, s55 (and a bunch of other CBs and blade-like irons) and have my fave blades in the closet, 2011 TM TP mb. I play the Ansers because they just feel good to me in combination with the Recoils. I can't shape my shots as well as the blades but I'm not Bubba where he never plays a straight shot!

And you are absolutely right with the Tank #7! There have been a number of "new" #7 models since I bought mine and never got the same confidence with this one so I'm sticking to what works FOR ME!

My struggle is with the driver! Best I've owned and hit was the Ping Anser with a Speeder 6.2x shaft that was once played by Vijay (the actual shaft in Vijay's driver)! I played it for a good two seasons before it broke at the hosel. Ever since that time my search has been plagued by short honeymoon periods. ?

[indent=1]M2 Atmos Black[/indent]
[indent=1]M2 Speeder[/indent]
[indent=1]Ping G Tensei Blue[/indent]
[indent=1]p790 Modus 130[/indent]
[indent=1]O-Works Red 7s
Z Star XV[/indent]

983K 9.5 degree

V-Steel 15 degree

2-PW Ping Zing 2

Ping Eye 2 SW

I like this bag. Why? It could be mine. You played college golf in the early 1990s. Played a Ping Zing putter for years, and still do, except the Bullseye is a little better at 3 footers. You loved watching Curtis Strange win back to back Opens with his Zing putter. You had the first Zing irons, but they had a crazy flange and the shafts kinked. The Zing 2s were a huge improvement. These irons have lived in the closet for years, bUT the long irons are so nice that you keep them. You're on your second 983 driver. You cracked the first one on a cold day at the driving range. Try a bonded TM RBZ driver. I really like mine, first club I've liked since the 983. My V-steel 3 wood is now my back up as I like my 16 degreen retro raylor as much. Do you ever play a minimalist set? It would be easy for you as you only carry the eye 2 SW. I play my minimalist set (see sig) exclusively now as I love to carry a lightweight single strap bag. Good luck!

Thats pretty awesome. Dead on with a few points. Zing vs Zing 2 and long irons. Thanks for your input

I do play a minimalist set when visiting my parents back home. Ping eye 2's 4 iron, 7 irons, SW and Vsteel 3 wood and bullseye in a moonlite bag. I put left handed putts inside 6 ft and right everything else.

So I'm curious. Could you do the reverse? Bag in sig... what do I drive? Lol

Definitely a Mercedes AMG S-63 coupe. You fit the description. :taunt:

True story. Eons ago ('05-'06?), my co-worker told me to check out the semi-private course by his house in Long Island. I got paired up with a threesome. We were having a good day, except one of the guys who was shooting horribly. He started blaming his Walmart clubs, and then turned his attention to me and my TMAG's. "Maybe if I was rich like Danny I could buy a better game." His friends told him to chill out but he was "off the reservation" for the rest of the round. We finished the round and walked to the parking lot together. The guy who was busting my chops noticed an AMG in the parking lot and said "That's probably your car, isn't it?" I said "I can't even begin to figure out how to fit in that car. I'm just gonna to my wife's Rav-4 and call it a day. See you, guys."

If that guy could only see my bag now! :pimp:

Lol. I wouldnt drive a s63. In that same price range I'd prefer a tesla model s p100d among other vehicles. You're right on the performance version though, I have only ever owned performance versions of cars/suvs. Like m3 vs 325/330/335, Range Rover supercharged vs hse etc. I would definitely have a s63 over s350/s550.

My bag wouldn't be the same the next time you see me.. total club whore haha I'll try anything out to make sure it's not for me but that may cause me to lose the clubs I do like.. hmm

Paradym 10.5* - Ventus TR Blue 6X
Stealth 15* - Ventus Red 8X

Apex Hybrid 20* - Ventus Black 10X
TCB Raw 4-PW - Tour Issue X100

Taylormade MG4 50*/55*/60* - Tour Issue S400
Byron Morgan DH89 Carbon 34"