judging players by their bags

MtlJeff

Ok here goes mine:

All of this is in a black ping hoofer stand bag, and although I hate to admit it that bag now gets placed on a Clicgear 3.5 as carrying for 18 just doesnt agree with my neck.

Titleist 915 - D2 - 9.5*- AD-DI 6S

Ping G30 - 18* - AD-MT 7S

Titleist 915H - 21* - Aldila ATX Tour Blue

Titleist 716 TMB - 4 & 5 iron - Tour AD-HY

Titleist 714 AP2 - 6-PW - C-Taper

Titleist SW4 - 50*, 54*, 48*

Odyssey #7

Looks to me like you've found a driver+shaft combo that works well for you. Probably enjoy the added launch and distance of the AD DI, and of course that orange running down to a black shiny titleist head looks gorgeous. The Ping G30 must have made its way into the bag due to outperforming the 18* titleist offering...OR you have a Ping Hoofer bag and knew you had to have one Ping club in the bag to balance it out. Clearly you don't mind dropping some serious coin on the best equipment out there - as you play 4 Graphite Design shafts. TMB's in the long irons, and AP2's in the short irons - because you're a 4 handicap who doesn't mind a little bit of forgiveness. You play 2 generations old Vokey's - because once again you play what works - and lets face it, not only would 3 SM6's break the bank - you know exactly how to play your SM4's out of every lie. Odyssey #7 because you like the feel of a blade, but the distance control and forgiveness of a mallet. So why not have both?

I'd say you're a 4 hdcp or lower, play some tournament golf, and probably live in Washington DC. Oh and you wear elegant turquoise pants sometimes when you're golfing.

Here's mine:

Driver: Taylormade M2 9.5* - Graphite Design AD BB 6X

3-Wood: Taylormade M2 15* - Graphite Design AD DI 7X

Irons: Nike Vapor Pro Blades - DG Pro S300

Wedges: Nike Engage 52*SS/56*TS/60*DS

Putter: Nike Oven 006 Rory Prototype

Balls: Nike Rzn Tour Dot Platinum

Bag: Nike Platinum Staff

Phenomenal work . . . laughed outloud at certain points.... went through my profile to see if I have my handicap listed somewhere because you nailed it spot on... really laughed at the Ping comment as I had not thought of needing to have one Ping club, like most fairway woods that stick around I kinda just happened upon this one.... and I do play some tournament golf.... however the profile picture is a bit of a lie because 99% of my golf clothes are black and grey....

I will leave yours to the next person.... but based on the shafts you play you hit the ball a mile and a half!

Wise beyond your years, swings within oneself, and regularly collects the $$ when the scorecards are tallied.

PS: Nice set-up.

Phil

I saw Brandel Chamblee drinkin' a piña colada at Trader Vic's
His hair was perfect

[size=2][i]- Warren Zevon, Werewolves of London[/i][/size]

[size=4]All the clubs I've ever owned.[/size]

Ok, deal me in:

Amp Cell driver w/ Motore Speeder

Bobby Jones H3 hybrid

Srixon Z Star 6,8, PW Nippon 1050 shafts

Wilson Staff FG Tour Grind 50 & 56 Wedges w/ Nippon WV115 shafts

Cameron Futura X*

* Unless in time-out, in which case any one of a half-dozen putters will go into the bag.

Phil

I saw Brandel Chamblee drinkin' a piña colada at Trader Vic's
His hair was perfect

[size=2][i]- Warren Zevon, Werewolves of London[/i][/size]

[size=4]All the clubs I've ever owned.[/size]

Choosing clubs based upon what you suspect others may think of you based upon those choices sounds to me like a recipe for anxiety and lack of focus on the golf course. I'm as much of an equipment junkie as anyone, but I think I'll pass on this one.

Titleist 910D2 Rombax X-type 60-S, A1 setting
Titleist 910F2 15, Rombax X-type 70-S, D1 setting
Titleist 910H 19, Rombax 8D07 S, D1 setting
Ping S56, KBS Tour 120S, 3-W
Ping Tour S 52/12, KBS Tour 120S
Ping Tour S 58 TS, KBS Tour 120S
Scotty Newport Fastback custom shop, 34", jumbo Scotty grip
Titleist Player 4 bag

Lets give this a shot:

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 8*, Stock Stiff Flex

Taylormade SLDR Ts 14*, Stock Stiff Flex

Titleist 716mb 3-Pw, 1* flat, Kbs C-Taper 130x

Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Tour Grind 52, 56, 2* Flat, Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

Callaway Mack Daddy Pm Grind 60, 2* flat, Kbs Tour V Wedge Flex

Cleveland Classics V Putter

Lets give this a shot:

My favorite best ball partner! You throw the hcp cards on the table Saturday AM and hope C-7 draws you name. Why? This guy can flat play, and never holds back a group in any way. Probably been playing for the last 30 years the 4 hcp is where is belongs. It's been a scratch, and its been a 7, but back to golfing regular and fine with 4.

Been custom fit for clubs many times over the years. Realizes the stock offering in the modern club is pretty darn good. Makes sure to have his irons and wedges lies fitting perfectly. Plays a baby draw and gets the most out of his not too tall stature. That's right, these 6 foot 2 guys with their new clubs always hit first out of the fairway. And they say the game is changing for the athlete? Welp, 5 foot 8 is a damn fine athlete! Probably has another sport like tennis or running to fall back on when golf is causing more stress than fun.

Switching slowly to Callaway as that is where you started the game from. Probably still have a Steelhead 3-wood in the closet that you know would still hit perfectly. The Titleist irons will be the last to go as they simply make the best irons out there, but the Cleveland wedges are already gone and the Cleveland Putter is skating on thin ice. The new Odyssey putters are always tested. If only they were just a little lighter and didn't come stock with the stupid thick grip.

Can't wait for the weather to get better again as winter golf is growing old. But heck, as long as you don't tee off in the rain, right?

Lets give this a shot:

I would say you're a low handicap and probably generate some good club speed to hit that 8* driver and the muscle back irons with the C-taper shafts. You probably prefer to buy off the rack instead of getting fit give your stock shafts in your driver. I'd say that you had issues in the past finding the right iron shafts and investigated them a bit further and found the C-Tapers to your liking. Probably played Dynamic Golds before and the ball launched too high for you.

I'm guessing you're a Mickelson fan as well by the Callaway preference and the PM grind. But, that loyalty to lefty only goes so far and that's why you went with the Titleist blades.

And you probably have a great disdain for burritos and drifters. But a drifter with a burrito somehow warms your heart. Go figure.

Here's mine:

Adams Staff Bag with matching Sunfish head covers

Driver: TaylorMade M1, 9.5* loft Fujikura 661 Speeder Evolution Tour Spec (x-stiff)

3-wood: Cobra King F6+ 13* loft, Matrix Red Tie shaft (stiff) with Enlow Grip

2-hybrid: Mizuno Fli-Hi CLK, 17* loft, KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (x-stiff)

3-hybrid: Hogan VKTR, 20* loft, Aldila NV 85 shaft (x-stiff)

4-iron thru PW: Srixon Z945, True Temper DG Tour Issue (X100)

S-Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM6 F-Grind, 52* loft, Nippon Modus 125 wedge shaft

L-Wedge: Edel Digger grind, 60* loft, Nippon Modus 125 wedge shaft

Putter: Edel The Brick, 35" long

RH

Let's try:

D: M2 9.5 S-Flex

3w: TM R11 15.5 R-flex

19h: TM RBZ s-flex

4i-PW: TM Burner 2.0

GW Cleveland 588 RTG 50/8

SW Cleveland 588 RTG 55/11

LW Ping GLIDE ts 60

Putter: ping Craz-e

Ball B-330

Bag: hoofer

Clicgear 3.5+

Ok, I always enjoy checking in on this thread but have never posted here. I'd guess your short game and putting are the best parts of your game based on the classic wedges and putter. Everyone that I've seen use a Craz-e seems to get the ball in the hole. Burner 2.0s could go either way as far as handicap, but I'd definitely say you are looking for distance. Hard to say with the rest, but I'd say handicap of 12 and age 55 based solely on r-flex 3 wood and no specific shafts listed. I'm ready to be very wrong.

My bag:

Driver: M1 Rogue Silver 70s

3 Wood: Xhot Pro 13.5 deg. PXv 6.0

3 iron: Ping Crossover Steelfiber i95 stiff -.75 inches

4-9: Original AP2s PX 6.0

46, 50: Vokey SM5 s300

54: Ping Gorge s300

60: Callaway MD3 s300

Putter: Seemore mFGP

Short game and putting are my best part of the game. The Craz-e is just an amazing putter for me. The r-flex on the 3 wood is only because I like the higher ball flight to go over doglegs. The 2.0s were a gift from the wife when I went back to college, and the shafts are stock because of money and if it works it works, not that picky for me. 6 handicap but not 55 years old, just 31.

If a player has X-Stiff shafts in their bag as well as a forged iron of some kind they are most likely a good player. As a lot of us know generally if you are meant to swing a stiff shafted club and you attempt swinging X-Stiff (not the weak end X-Stiff) you cannot hide that stiff shafts are meant for your swing (I speak from experience). There is millions out there that have stiff shafts in their bag and are just as good as those with the X-Stiff's. However it also is worth noting that there are a lot of stiff shaft players that are not good at golf too. Very hard to tell if one is a player by simply looking at their bag. I belong to a semi-private country club and see lots of brand new clubs that are very nice in guy's bags; some game improvement, some better player grades of clubs. Some of these guys are your average 14-18 handicap players. With that said there are also some golfers that carry better player clubs when they could be hitting something more forgiving and suited to their game.

Class of 2015-16

Titleist Tour Staff Bag

Titleist 913 D3 Rogue Black/X

Titleist Tour Model 2-iron (DG X100) (My 240 club)

Titleist 714 MB's 3-9 (DG S300)

Vokey SM5's 46, 50, 54, 57 (bent 56)

Scotty Newport

ProV1X

FJ ICON's

No apparel loyalty, I wear some of everything, except Swoosh!!.......

P.S - I have 3 slightly used sets of Mizuno irons, and a set of Srixon's still in the box. A few drivers, and a Cleveland wedge set. All anxious to be back in the rotation. I'm not a Titleist fanatic, it just works right now, although my handicap has been rising.....FJ, Vokey, and the ProV1X are permanent......

If not for the P.S. I would say you a

were a bona fide fanboy.

I play with whatever arouses me at the moment.......Sound like another hobby?.......LOL

Ok, I always enjoy checking in on this thread but have never posted here. I'd guess your short game and putting are the best parts of your game based on the classic wedges and putter. Everyone that I've seen use a Craz-e seems to get the ball in the hole. Burner 2.0s could go either way as far as handicap, but I'd definitely say you are looking for distance. Hard to say with the rest, but I'd say handicap of 12 and age 55 based solely on r-flex 3 wood and no specific shafts listed. I'm ready to be very wrong.

My bag:

Driver: M1 Rogue Silver 70s

3 Wood: Xhot Pro 13.5 deg. PXv 6.0

3 iron: Ping Crossover Steelfiber i95 stiff -.75 inches

4-9: Original AP2s PX 6.0

46, 50: Vokey SM5 s300

54: Ping Gorge s300

60: Callaway MD3 s300

Putter: Seemore mFGP

Your driver setup doesn’t tell me anything.

With a low-lofted 3-wood and a shaft that’s about the same weight as your driver shaft (I think), I’d say (1) you’re wild with the driver, (2) you absolutely murder the 3-wood and almost don’t need a driver (a la Stenson), or (3) both of the above.

Only one fairway wood at the top end of the bag suggests a long hitter.

Your 3-iron is not part of a set so you clearly put a lot of thought into your setup (same reasoning applies to having three brands represented among your four wedges). It has a graphite shaft, so you’re not a young guy, and your pointing out its shorter length tells me this is a trusty fairway finder.

The original AP2s show you’re not all about the supposed latest and greatest.

Your pitching wedge doesn’t match your iron set either, so that could mean (but doesn’t at all guarantee) you’re a stick.

Seemore putter equals good putter.

Based on all of this, my guess is you’re in your forties or maybe early fifties with a handicap of around 5. Am I remotely close?

Here’s my bag (Sun Mountain Four 5):

Titleist 915D3 (9.5*) GD Tour AD BB 6S

Titleist 910F (15*) GD Tour AD DI 7S

Adams Tight Lies 2 (19*) GD Tour AD DI 7S

PXG 0311XF (3-4), 0311 (5-PW) KBS C-Taper (stiff)

Titleist Vokey SM5 M Grind (54*, 60*) KBS Wedge (stiff)

Edel McKenzie (34”)

I’m about to pull the trigger on the PXGs. They’ll be replacing my TaylorMade Tour Preferred set (also 3-PW, from 2008) with KBS Tour shafts (stiff).

Spot on with the driver and 3-wood comments. Unfortunately recently discovered a crack forming in the bottom 3-wood, so the search begins again. A little off on the age (I'm 29) and handicap (sitting at a 1 this winter), but I definitely hit the ball more like a 5 and save a few shots around the greens. Thanks for the guesses, jealous of the PXGs!

Alright... let's do this

Aeroburner TP driver 10.5*.. Matrix White Tie (stiff)

Ping G Stretch 12*.... Ping Tour 80 (stiff)

Adams XTD TI 18*(set to 17*) Matrix Altus (stiff)

Adams pro Mini 20*... Graphite design Tour ad 85 (stiff)

Taylor made aeroburner TP 25* Graphite Design nano reloaded ( stiff)Ping i blade 5-Pw. .. Nippon modus 105 (stiff)

Vokey Sm6 52 & 58 *

Bettinardi Queen Bee 6 putter (34inches)

I will give it a try!

I think you are quite good, especially in your short game. I would guess that you are not the longest from the tee but consistent. You have periods when the driver is hot and just as long periods when you feel that you could miss the planet. When that happens you trust your strong 3wood/mini driver and often leave the driver in the car.

You recently switch irons from an Adams set, mostly because of the looks of the iblades.

You have gone through a numbers of putters but you now think that you have found your holy grail.

34 years old. 7 handicap.

Me:

Driver F6+ with Aldila tour blue x (~1/2 short)

5-wood x2hot pro with Aldila tour green s (1/2 short)

3 di Titleist 712 u Nippon modus tour stiff

4-p Adams Cmb w c-tapers s

50,54,58 Cleveland rtx2 (2,3,3 dots, (1/2 long)

Ping tr66 anser2 putter with super stroke 2.0

how do you like the CMB irons?

I have a friend who only carries 8 clubs in his bag and has played to the same 7-8 handicap since the day I met him in 1986. I have played countless 2 man tournaments with him over the years. He is one of the nicest guys in the world and would do anything for a stranger. But, the man just hates change. Most of the clubs in his bag are probably older than many posters on this forum. He is always asked by strangers as to why he played such old & outdated clubs. His standard reply is: ...........good is good enough.

TaylorMade driver and 3 wood ( the old Pittsburgh Persimmons w/steel shafts)

3-5-7-9 Wilson X31 irons............ on their last legs.

Vokey 56-11 sand wedge

Bullseye center shafted putter (standard).........grip is wrapped with electrical tape.

Some friends and I chipped in and bought him a new R7 driver, and a Titleist carry bag some years ago for Christmas. I gave him the Vokey SW after seeing that the grooves were slam wore off his Wilson Staff. He loved the self standing bag but none of us ever saw the R7 driver again.

I have a friend who only carries 8 clubs in his bag and has played to the same 7-8 handicap since the day I met him in 1986. I have played countless 2 man tournaments with him over the years. He is one of the nicest guys in the world and would do anything for a stranger. But, the man just hates change. Most of the clubs in his bag are probably older than many posters on this forum. He is always asked by strangers as to why he played such old & outdated clubs. His standard reply is: ...........good is good enough.

Vokey 56-11 sand wedge

Bullseye center shafted putter (standard).........grip is wrapped with electrical tape.

Some friends and I chipped in and bought him a new R7 driver, and a Titleist carry bag some years ago for Christmas. I gave him the Vokey SW after seeing that the grooves were slam wore off his Wilson Staff. He loved the self standing bag but none of us ever saw the R7 driver again.

He sounds a lot like me-- By the way love the M-85 Macs in your Avaitar!

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

Lets give this a shot:

I would say you're a low handicap and probably generate some good club speed to hit that 8* driver and the muscle back irons with the C-taper shafts. You probably prefer to buy off the rack instead of getting fit give your stock shafts in your driver. I'd say that you had issues in the past finding the right iron shafts and investigated them a bit further and found the C-Tapers to your liking. Probably played Dynamic Golds before and the ball launched too high for you.

I'm guessing you're a Mickelson fan as well by the Callaway preference and the PM grind. But, that loyalty to lefty only goes so far and that's why you went with the Titleist blades.

And you probably have a great disdain for burritos and drifters. But a drifter with a burrito somehow warms your heart. Go figure.

Here's mine:

Adams Staff Bag with matching Sunfish head covers

Driver: TaylorMade M1, 9.5* loft Fujikura 661 Speeder Evolution Tour Spec (x-stiff)

3-wood: Cobra King F6+ 13* loft, Matrix Red Tie shaft (stiff) with Enlow Grip

2-hybrid: Mizuno Fli-Hi CLK, 17* loft, KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (x-stiff)

3-hybrid: Hogan VKTR, 20* loft, Aldila NV 85 shaft (x-stiff)

4-iron thru PW: Srixon Z945, True Temper DG Tour Issue (X100)

S-Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM6 F-Grind, 52* loft, Nippon Modus 125 wedge shaft

L-Wedge: Edel Digger grind, 60* loft, Nippon Modus 125 wedge shaft

Putter: Edel The Brick, 35" long

RH

Hey Richie Know all about you but when you posted that WITB you should have added "for now". Just had to bust your chops :taunt:

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

Vokey 56-11 sand wedge

He sounds a lot like me-- By the way love the M-85 Macs in your Avaitar!

The M-85's were the only clubs that I ever missed, and still miss today. I wore the faces so badly on them that you could feel the slight recess in the sweet spot on the 7,8,9 & PW. There is a clean set on Ebay right now, but I am cash strapped from restarting my home repair business. :stink:

John L., I've noticed the Colokroms in your Avatar for awhile now. So time to post up. Peeps can judge however they so choose.

Macgregor Colokrom M85 reissues, 3 - PW. Practically no wear to the copper faces. Need to install extensions and fresh grips over the winter to make them more playable. Albeit, they are in such good condition, don't want to muck them up. Found this summer for $15.00. Also have a 2 - 9 set of Tourney Colokroms M75 originals (1957) in inventory.

And as long as were talking Macs, a set of M/T FC4000 M2 2 - 9 (circa 1961) that were found this summer as well All original with marvelous original leather grips. Were in pretty rough shape, but showed potential. After some spritzing and fresh paint paint fill, came out rather nicely. Total investment of $8.00 and some time.

Excluding the various Hogan sets in inventory. And FWIW, play i20's, Hogan wedges, V-Steels, 905T and BeCu Zing 2 in the modern bag. Don't care how people judge. As long as they perhaps take note that it's not shiny new stuff.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

how do you like the CMB irons?

I really like them. They're forgiving for its footprint. I think they're a good match with c-tapers (Stock shaft). They have a very nice and dampened feel when struck well and they feel quite nice even when slightly miss struck. They can be a bit harsh on the finger/hands when you hit bottom groove or so but no biggie.

I would only trade them for srixon 745 or 765 but then it would have to be set for set.

John L., I've noticed the Colokroms in your Avatar for awhile now. So time to post up. Peeps can judge however they so choose.

Macgregor Colokrom M85 reissues, 3 - PW. Practically no wear to the copper faces. Need to install extensions and fresh grips over the winter to make them more playable. Albeit, they are in such good condition, don't want to muck them up. Found this summer for $15.00. Also have a 2 - 9 set of Tourney Colokroms M75 originals (1957) in inventory.

And as long as were talking Macs, a set of M/T FC4000 M2 2 - 9 (circa 1961) that were found this summer as well All original with marvelous original leather grips. Were in pretty rough shape, but showed potential. After some spritzing and fresh paint paint fill, came out rather nicely. Total investment of $8.00 and some time.

Excluding the various Hogan sets in inventory. And FWIW, play i20's, Hogan wedges, V-Steels, 905T and BeCu Zing 2 in the modern bag. Don't care how people judge. As long as they perhaps take note that it's not shiny new stuff.

Very nice find! Can I move in with you?

I look less at the type of club than I try to see the iron faces. That tells me what type of player I'm about to complete with. I've seen hacks with a dream set of clubs and pure players with shite sticks. Look for the wear on the clubface, that'll tell you more about the other guy than the brand of club (except on WRX).

Vapor FLY PRO 9.5 N Kuro Kage XT 70tx

913 FD Diamana B Series 80x (C3)

714 AP2 DG Tour Issue x100

Vokey SM4 50 DG x100, Callaway Mackdaddy PM Grind 60,56 (Bent to 55) DG Tour Issue s400

Nike Method 001

Taylormade Stealth 9

Ping G410 17.5

Callaway Mavrik Pro 20

Callaway Rogue Pro ST 23

Srixon ZX4 5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW

Titliest SM8 51, 56, 61

Nike 001

Titliest ProV1

DRIVER: Taylormade M1 9.5 460cc Graphite Design GP-6S

3 WOOD: Callaway XR16 Fujikura Motore Speeder Tour Spec 8.3 Stiff

3/4 Hybrid: Callaway Apex Project X HZRDUS BLACK stiff

5-AW: Callaway Apex CF16 True Temper Dynamic Gold S300

Sand Wedge: Vokey SM6 54.10 V-Grind (USA Edition) True Temper Dynamic Gold S200

Lob Wedge: Vokey SM6 58.10 V-Grind (USA Edition) True Temper Dynamic Gold S200

Putter: Ping Vault Voss (MIDSIZE PP58- NOT THE SUPERSTROKE LIKE GRIP) Standard L/L/L