2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Interview & Pics: Adams Super Hybrid XTD and Super Fairway XTD

HipCheck

[quote name='drbonesvt' timestamp='1333055879' post='4608289']
[quote name='TheMoneyShot' timestamp='1333045349' post='4607055']
[quote name='drbonesvt' timestamp='1333039148' post='4606401']
High and Long

19 deg hybrid - stff

according to LM - 263 ave carry distance 10 shots , 153 mph ball speed off the fake stuff

Someone mentioned the shaft might have been a playing a bit soft, feel wise I would concur (it went a little left on me- probably the Indian not the arrow),. Xstiff if you want firmer feel, I dont think it would be out of controll stiff though.

Its no joke, GG was just about all out of them, 300 dollar putters, 300 dollar hybrids and the list goes on.
[/quote]

I had mine on order with DDs and just cancelled the order when they told me mid may delivery. A day later I walked in to GG and low and behold they had the 13*, 18* and 21* in stock. I nabbed them up real quick and have been happily ever since!
[/quote]

Damn serious coin , I was limited to only one.
[/quote]

It was a little but more than I wanted to spend on three clubs but I think the payoff will be totally worth it!

[quote name='SafariThomas' timestamp='1333147097' post='4615783']
Are the hybrids 'bendable'? ( flat or upright)
[/quote]

Yes the Hybrids can be bent 2 up or 2 flat as well as open or closed for loft, but the fairway woods can't. (That info is straight from Adams) I just ordered a 21 degree 2 degrees up and 1 degree open, it ships on the 5th...

[quote name='Ies3343' timestamp='1333285808' post='4623521']
[/quote]

Yes the Hybrids can be bent 2 up or 2 flat as well as open or closed for loft, but the fairway woods can't. (That info is straight from Adams) I just ordered a 21 degree 2 degrees up and 1 degree open, it ships on the 5th...
[/quote]

I guess since the Fwys are made out of Ti it's make them a lot harder to bend.

[quote name='TheMoneyShot' timestamp='1333288945' post='4623723']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I guess since the Fwys are made out of Ti it's make them a lot harder to bend.
[/quote]

Both the fairways and hybrids are titanium. May have more to do with the hosel length, though I haven't compared the two

I am weighing my options between the 14.5* Super XTD fairway or the 15* Super Hybrid. There is an upcoming demo day with Adams present, but I have no idea whether both clubs will be available (I have had bad luck with OEM reps and retailers stocking enough options at other demo days). Perhaps others have had real experiences that can help when comparing these two.

My considerations are:

[b]1. Ball speed.[/b] Yes, the hybrid is listed as 1" shorter, but how do the ball speed numbers compare?

[b]2. Carry distance vs. overall distance.[/b] Does one club carry more/run less vs. carry less/ run more? Related: stopping ability upon landing?

[b]3. Trajectory.[/b] How do the average trajectories compare? Also, when desired, is one club easier to hit higher/lower than the other?

[b]4. Spin and ball flight[/b]. How do head weight distributions and COG differences affect spin between these two clubs? Is one club easier to hit with sidespin when desired?
[b]
5. Versatility. [/b] I am someone who shares Bill Belichick's perspective on "value." Whenever possible, I prefer "talent" to perform well in multiple conditions and not just be a one-trick pony. How do the toe-to-heel cambers and overall head designs affect playability? Has one club proven to be more versatile from different lies?
[b]
6. Shaft options[/b]. Has anyone tried either of these clubs with a more tip-stiff shaft? If so, what results did you have?

All experiences are appreciated. Thanks.

[b]1. Ball speed.[/b] [color="#ff0000"]Keep in mind that I am short, so longer shafts do not necessarily translate into more BS. That said, I generated about 2 MPH more with the FWY than HYB. Off a tee, it was another 1 or 2 MPH.[/color]

[b]2. Carry distance vs. overall distance.[/b] [color="#ff0000"]Overall, its about the same, but the FWY launches higher in general and stopped a bit quicker[/color]

[b]3. Trajectory.[/b] [color="#ff0000"]Again, the FWY was a bit higher [/color]

[b]4. Spin and ball flight[/b]. [color="#ff0000"]Here is where I saw some differences. The FWY wanted to go left a bit more for me. I had to work a little to turn over the HYB, but the FWY turned over easily, with more misses to the left. I believe this was a factor of the longer shaft[/color]
[b]
5. Versatility. [/b] [color="#ff0000"]As a Jets fan, I won't be answering a question with Bill B. Referenced...LOL. IMO, a hybrid is generally more versatile due to the smaller head. Those who launch the ball very low may disagree[/color].
[b]
6. Shaft options[/b]. [color="#ff0000"]Sorry, can't answer that for a few days[/color]

[quote name='scottvw13' timestamp='1333316894' post='4625653']
[b]1. Ball speed.[/b] [color="#ff0000"]Keep in mind that I am short, so longer shafts do not necessarily translate into more BS. That said, I generated about 2 MPH more with the FWY than HYB. Off a tee, it was another 1 or 2 MPH.[/color]

[b]2. Carry distance vs. overall distance.[/b] [color="#ff0000"]Overall, its about the same, but the FWY launches higher in general and stopped a bit quicker[/color]

[b]4. Spin and ball flight[/b]. [color="#ff0000"]Here is where I saw some differences. The FWY wanted to go left a bit more for me. I had to work a little to turn over the HYB, but the FWY turned over easily, with more misses to the left. I believe this was a factor of the longer shaft[/color]
[b]
5. Versatility. [/b] [color="#ff0000"]As a Jets fan, I won't be answering a question with Bill B. Referenced...LOL. IMO, a hybrid is generally more versatile due to the smaller head. Those who launch the ball very low may disagree[/color].
[b]
6. Shaft options[/b]. [color="#ff0000"]Sorry, can't answer that for a few days[/color]
[/quote]

[b]1. Ball speed[/b]. Did the tall guys pick on you in grade school? 2-4 mph is not a huge difference but it is still something. It's possible the delta may be more for faster swing speeds. This was your point, I believe. Just out of curiosity, how far off are these ball speed numbers from your driver?

[b]2. Carry vs. Total[/b]. That basic difference is nice to know.
[b]
4. Spin/ball flights[/b]. I had read other topics/posts that suggested the these were "too straight." Obviously, others felt that is exactly what they were looking for. From my point of view, I understand that the new slot designs provide greater flexibility across the entire face/s (reaching the max CT, not including tolerances), but I was wondering if factors other than the the springlike effect affected flight maneuverability? My thoughts have been, however flexible the face/s are, they are no more flexible than most current drivers...and current drivers can still be shaped L-R and R-L. I thought the differences that may have an impact, as they do with different driver models, is how far the the COG is from the face and how extreme the peripheral weighting is. My intuitive thought was that the Hybrid would be a little more workable because the smaller head would "probably" be slightly more conducive to manipulating shot shapes due to these differences. That's why I was looking for real world experiences and feedback. Thanks.

I also believe there are so many variables that exist between different golfers/tendencies and different heads/shafts we hit that your Fairway going left is hard to definitively associate with any specific variable. But this shortcoming goes for any feedback I've asked for here, that's why large sample sizes are better than smaller ones, I suppose. But, if I had to guess, I bet a different shaft would benefit your specific situation. Based on your last answer, it sounds like you're already considering this.
[b]
5. Versatility.[/b] Apparently, the big guys are still picking on you. Don't worry, at least you and the Jets will have an [i]entertaining[/i] season in 2012.

[b]6. Shaft options. [/b] I would love to hear how new shaft/s made a difference for you. Good luck. At $300, it's hard to re-shaft, but knowing what shaft options exist without an upcharge is what I wonder. I have a question into Adams now.

I am really hoping the GolfWRX staff finish their review of the XTD Super Fairway soon (as in yesterday). It would be really great to see the review and compare it to the Super Hybrid (even if it is a 17*), especially with Trackman/Flightscope numbers for comparison. Maybe the overall numbers will vary by golfer, but referencing the average delta in ball speed would be useful to see. Looking forward to this and any other experiences someone may have had with these two clubs. Thanks.

[quote name='TheMoneyShot' timestamp='1333380082' post='4630253']
In reference to OP comments regarding the delta on distance. Anyone will see added distance from the fwy no matter what their SS is. The COR on this fwy/hybrid is completely maxed out so everyone will enjoy the benefit of added distance. That is the beauty in this club!
[/quote]

Sounds like a great fairway wood...trying to figure out what shaft will work out the best for me. Whats your ss? and are you a low/high ball hitter? thanks

AB TP 10.5*/ DI6X
AB TP 3HL / 757
XTD 19*/ Fubuki Ax
DWS 24*/ VS Proto
J15 CB 5-PW/ Modus 3 125S
X-Forged MD (50*, 56* 60*)
Spider Si/ SS Mid SLim 2.0

[quote name='sbmmm33' timestamp='1333378732' post='4630081']
[quote name='scottvw13' timestamp='1333316894' post='4625653']

[b]
[b]
[/quote]

[b]1. Ball speed[/b]. Did the tall guys pick on you in grade school? 2-4 mph is not a huge difference but it is still something. It's possible the delta may be more for faster swing speeds. This was your point, I believe. Just out of curiosity, how far off are these ball speed numbers from your driver?

[b]2. Carry vs. Total[/b]. That basic difference is nice to know.
[b]
4. Spin/ball flights[/b]. I had read other topics/posts that suggested the these were "too straight." Obviously, others felt that is exactly what they were looking for. From my point of view, I understand that the new slot designs provide greater flexibility across the entire face/s (reaching the max CT, not including tolerances), but I was wondering if factors other than the the springlike effect affected flight maneuverability? My thoughts have been, however flexible the face/s are, they are no more flexible than most current drivers...and current drivers can still be shaped L-R and R-L. I thought the differences that may have an impact, as they do with different driver models, is how far the the COG is from the face and how extreme the peripheral weighting is. My intuitive thought was that the Hybrid would be a little more workable because the smaller head would "probably" be slightly more conducive to manipulating shot shapes due to these differences. That's why I was looking for real world experiences and feedback. Thanks.

I also believe there are so many variables that exist between different golfers/tendencies and different heads/shafts we hit that your Fairway going left is hard to definitively associate with any specific variable. But this shortcoming goes for any feedback I've asked for here, that's why large sample sizes are better than smaller ones, I suppose. But, if I had to guess, I bet a different shaft would benefit your specific situation. Based on your last answer, it sounds like you're already considering this.
[b]
5. Versatility.[/b] Apparently, the big guys are still picking on you. Don't worry, at least you and the Jets will have an [i]entertaining[/i] season in 2012.

[b]6. Shaft options. [/b]I would love to hear how new shaft/s made a difference for you. Good luck. At $300, it's hard to re-shaft, but knowing what shaft options exist without an upcharge is what I wonder. I have a question into Adams now.

I am really hoping the GolfWRX staff finish their review of the XTD Super Fairway soon (as in yesterday). It would be really great to see the review and compare it to the Super Hybrid (even if it is a 17*), especially with Trackman/Flightscope numbers for comparison. Maybe the overall numbers will vary by golfer, but referencing the average delta in ball speed would be useful to see. Looking forward to this and any other experiences someone may have had with these two clubs. Thanks.
[/quote]

I asked Adams about shaft options when I ordered my 21 degree Hybrid. Basically they told me that they only stock the Fubuki Hybrid shaft but could get anything I wanted as a special order in about 3 weeks. I was told I had to go through a retailer to get a custom order price, which im sure will be in the $350 to $400 range...

In reference to OP comments regarding the delta on distance. Anyone will see added distance from the fwy no matter what their SS is. The COR on this fwy/hybrid is completely maxed out so everyone will enjoy the benefit of added distance. That is the beauty in this club!
[/quote]

Yes, but I was asking what's the delta in BS between the Super Fairway and Super Hybrid. I am comparing these two clubs...

[quote name='sbmmm33' timestamp='1333405176' post='4633185']
[/quote]

Yes, but I was asking what's the delta in BS between the Super Fairway and Super Hybrid. I am comparing these two clubs...
[/quote]

My bad, sorry.

[quote name='TheMoneyShot' timestamp='1333406141' post='4633289']
[quote name='sbmmm33' timestamp='1333405176' post='4633185']
[/quote]

[/quote]

My bad, sorry.
[/quote]

No worries, I just hope there might be some empirical data available from somebody... However, it's starting to sound like both have close to the same BS. They both share a maxed out CT, but I would further ask if the Hybrid has a heavier head (with it's shorter shaft) as compared to the Fairway with a lighter head (and longer shaft)? If so, how do these differences affect ball speed? Probably not much, so maybe this accounts for the small differences posted above. I think the other considerations I listed will make the difference when I choose. Now it's time to hit them to tell for sure. Hopefully the demo day has both.

[quote name='GetmeouttaJersey' timestamp='1327951605' post='4179399']
If those hybrids are workable, I'm all in! They look great. Definitely a "different" finish with the silver/grey though. It looks like it glares a little bit and the slot is a little tough to look at, but I'm going to give the hybrid a good work through. Adam's is tops in that category...
[/quote]

Forget "workable" hybrids. Just get hybrids that hit it high and straight with very little spin. "Workable" = more spin. More spin = less straight. Less straight = more crooked.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Well so much for shipping on the 5th, I was told Adams is so overwhenled with orders they are delayed till late May now. Figured I just not rid of my other Hybrid, I guess I better get really good with my 4 iron over the next 4 or 5 weeks...

Wow thats all I can say !
? For all y'all does anyone like that club in there bag that feels liken you hit it good every time
Or feels like a rocket in you pocket theses are these clubs for me I went to cool clubs in Scottsdale and they got them before most and I didn't leave Scottsdale until they were in my bag I'm in love and I'm amped every time I get to the yardages I can hit these beasts
14.5 3wood soooooooooooo long I need more o's in wooooood try 282 of the ground no par 5 is safe
21 degree hybrid flys 253 then stops on a dime and lands like a feather hitting my bed hehe
I just might be in love with theses my girlfriend is jealous .

Club whisper ck

[quote name='The club whisper' timestamp='1334506514' post='4725632']
Wow thats all I can say !
? For all y'all does anyone like that club in there bag that feels liken you hit it good every time
Or feels like a rocket in you pocket theses are these clubs for me I went to cool clubs in Scottsdale and they got them before most and I didn't leave Scottsdale until they were in my bag I'm in love and I'm amped every time I get to the yardages I can hit these beasts
14.5 3wood soooooooooooo long I need more o's in wooooood try 282 of the ground no par 5 is safe
21 degree hybrid flys 253 then stops on a dime and lands like a feather hitting my bed hehe
I just might be in love with theses my girlfriend is jealous .

Club whisper ck
[/quote]

Great post man! If there are any doubters out there about this club go hit it and then join the club..

• 5 months later...

[quote name='jmcdonald' timestamp='1348422971' post='5681597']
I have the 17* and 13* and the distances are damn near the same! They are too much, when the Titleist 913 stuff comes out I'm going to switch to them so I can be consistent gaps with my woods and hybrid. The XTD's are awesome clubs but just too close in distance.
[/quote]

Hmm, maybe I'll just pick up the 17* to replace my 5 wood and look to Titleist/RBZ hybrids to replace my 3 and 4 irons.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Stryker' timestamp='1348420123' post='5681479']
So now that the season is nearing an end,(in some states) how have these clubs performed over the season? In the market for some hybrids, looking to replace the 3 and 4 irons in my bag. Some of the numbers from these posts don't really add up. 14.5 3 wood goes 282, yet the 21 degree hybrid fly's 253?
[/quote]

I got into trouble with a 15* hybrid off the deck. I was 220m (not yards, we do metres in Asia, about 240 yards) out from the green thinking it would be close but wouldn't roll on. It hit the front of the green and rolled to the back of the green while the flight in front were still putting out. They were not happy. I believe in the VST. They defintiely work.

• 2 years later...

I know this thread is 2 years old, but I've just picked up a secondhand Adams Super Idea XTD in 21*.
OMG how easy is this club to hit, I cannot believe how good this club is !! To say I'm happy is an understatement, I made two birdies last Sat using this club into both par fours.

I guess I'll be trying to get a bag full now !

Driver for Show Putter for dough!

• 5 years later...

So I know this is a completely dead thread, but I want to say my piece. I went to my local golf store thinking about trying out some clubs that I could hit 190-200 yards for long par 3's, long par 5 approaches, or something to hit off the tee if I didn't feel like driver was good enough that day. I was thinking 5 woods because I'd seen some interesting things about them on youtube. I grabbed an 8 iron to warm up with and a couple of 5 woods from the clearance bin. I started swinging and spoke to the salesperson who has given me a lesson and has helped me a couple of times before. He went and grabbed me the Adams super hybrid xtd 17°, and I am glad he did. I was hitting it consistently 185-205 yards with good dispersion. I literally swung out of my shoe on one shot (the sole and upper part separated slightly on the backswing) and ended up hitting a funky feeling slight draw that almost was a line ball. I was excited for golf season before, but now I'm really excited.

• Like 2

D-Taylormade SIM MAX D Diamana PD 50r

3w- Honma TW-XP1 

17° Adams XTD Ti super hybrid

4h-5h- Tour Edge Exotics ex9

6-AW- Cleveland Launcher XL Nippon Zelos 7

56°- Cleveland CBX Zipcore

60°- Lazrus

P- Odyssey eleven tour lined stroke lab shaft