Is Cleveland the most under rated OEM today?

Zach Attack

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='hittingitlong' timestamp='1332723864' post='4579506']
Most golfers who walk into a golf store don't care about the stock shaft - they hit a bunch of clubs and buy the one that works best - who gets fitted or plays aftermarket shafts? 5% of the golfing population?
[/quote]

That would be why the stock shaft is important or am i not understanding?

Most golfers who walk into a golf store don't care about the stock shaft - they hit a bunch of clubs and buy the one that works best - [b]who gets fitted or plays aftermarket shafts? 5% of the golfing population?[/b]
[/quote]

I doubt it's that high. There are 55 guys in my club including a dozen or so under a "5".

Don't think even ONE of them has an aftermarket shaft in their driver (including myself). Now I DO have a (no doubt "made for") Blueboard in my Ping Rapture driver but that was a stock offering in the club.

[font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#ff8c00][b]Cobra Bio Cell+[/b][/color]
[color=#000080][b]Adams A12 Pro 16, 20, 23[/b][/color]
[b][color=#696969]Ping G20, 5-SW, C-Taper stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#ff0000][b]TM xft wedge 64[/b][/color]
[b][color="#000000"]Scotty Futura X[/color][/b][/font]
[font=comic sans ms,cursive][b]ProV1x[/b][/font]

[quote name='wobgon' timestamp='1332726501' post='4579868']
Most golfers who walk into a golf store don't care about the stock shaft - they hit a bunch of clubs and buy the one that works best - who gets fitted or plays aftermarket shafts? 5% of the golfing population?
[/quote]

That would be why the stock shaft is important or am i not understanding?
[/quote]

When the stock shaft doesn't help selling your newly developed product, that's a problem. No matter how good the technology in the new line might be, you still need a good stock shaft to make the head perform as it supposed to. Even better, offer 2 or 3 stock options so you can fit a wider variety of golfers. Don't even understand how Mitsubishi Rayon allow the shaft to be branded as a Fubuki... Oh yeah, $$$...

Even if a 25hcp walk in the store with the intention of buying a new driver, chances are he is going to go with something else because the #s on the LM won"t be as good compared to other companies that offer drivers with real shafts like Cleveland, Adams and others. They will sell but next year when all the previous year drivers go on sale for $150... At least, that's what I think.

Bridgestone J715 B5 / Accra tour Z 75+ 05
Adams Tight Lies ti 15*/ UST V2 Tour flight X
TEE CB proH 18* & Cleveland 588 mt 21*
Adams XTD forged 5-pw / C-taper 120S
ATV 50*&54* / X forged MD C-grind 58*
Odyssey Versa BWB #7 / SS 3.0 or
TM Spider Vicino CS / SS pistol gt 2.0
TM Lethal

It's funny how there is all this hate against the Fubuki K in the VR_S. I don't understand how it's "junk". Just cause you can't hit it doesn't mean it's not a good shaft. What's so junk about it? And don't even say anything about the torque because that's complete BS. I got the VR_S with the stock X stiff shaft. Thought I needed something else because I normally play exotic shafts. I tried a R.I.P. beta 60x, a Diamana Blueboard 63x, and a Fubuki Alpha 60X. I hit all of these shafts on a Foresight monitor, on the range, and all but the Blueboard on the course. The stock Fubuki K did fly higher than any of these by 1-2 degrees, but also gave me the tightest dispersion and the lowest spin numbers (1800 rpm with a 14.5 degree launch). It's also the smoothest of the bunch. It is so good, that the others are all sold and it's back in the driver.

For me at least, it's better than any of the so called "premium" shafts i hit in the Cleveland drivers. Just because it is the same shaft you can buy aftermarket doesn't mean it's any good.

That being said, Adams has offered some great shaft options lately. They really don't deserve to be lumped in with Cleveland. Much of their stuff is just stellar.

SIM 9.0 Ventus Blue 7X, SIM 15* Ventus Blue 8X
U500 2i, OT100, P7.MC 3-4, P7.MB 6-P, Modus 120 X
MG2 53, 58 Modus 120 X, Toulon Garage Austin

[quote name='aannddyy00' timestamp='1332741425' post='4581362']
[quote name='Thrillhouse' timestamp='1332482539' post='4561454']
Man I can't believe people are saying they don't see anyone playing ping clubs, ping irons are probably the most popular iron around here, tons of people playing them.
[/quote]

+1
[/quote]

Yeah. It's really strange. I thought I might have been going nuts when I said that, so I made sure to look around at the course this weekend. Looking at people's bags Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, I didn't see any newer Ping irons. Only one guy had an old set of ISI K irons. I didn't see any Ping woods, but they could have been hidden under custom covers, and I saw only 4 Ping putters. That's the crazy part. Almost everyone played Ping putters a decade ago. Now I don't see any.

[quote name='leftypga' timestamp='1332738911' post='4581270']
It's funny how there is all this hate against the Fubuki K in the VR_S. I don't understand how it's "junk". Just cause you can't hit it doesn't mean it's not a good shaft. What's so junk about it? And don't even say anything about the torque because that's complete BS. I got the VR_S with the stock X stiff shaft. Thought I needed something else because I normally play exotic shafts. I tried a R.I.P. beta 60x, a Diamana Blueboard 63x, and a Fubuki Alpha 60X. I hit all of these shafts on a Foresight monitor, on the range, and all but the Blueboard on the course. The stock Fubuki K did fly higher than any of these by 1-2 degrees, but also gave me the tightest dispersion and the lowest spin numbers (1800 rpm with a 14.5 degree launch). It's also the smoothest of the bunch. It is so good, that the others are all sold and it's back in the driver.

For me at least, it's better than any of the so called "premium" shafts i hit in the Cleveland drivers. Just because it is the same shaft you can buy aftermarket doesn't mean it's any good.

That being said, Adams has offered some great shaft options lately. They really don't deserve to be lumped in with Cleveland. Much of their stuff is just stellar.
[/quote]

At least they are not lumping them in with Nike.

[quote name='wobgon' timestamp='1332773437' post='4583092']
[/quote]

Why are you even reading this thread? Do you just browse the site looking to bash Nike? Why don't you actually contribute to the conversation about Cleveland Golf? That's what this thread is about. I didn't even bring up Nike until your ridiculous comment on the first page. Of course I'm going to defend the clubs I play if someone bashes them when just because they are offended by my honest opinion of the topic at hand. You'd think I was making a personal attack on people when I said I didn't like the recent Cleveland clubs. I have hit the new clubs and I just don't care for them. They obviously do just fine for several others here. Do you even like the Cleveland clubs??? That's what we're here to discuss.

[quote name='leftypga' timestamp='1332768248' post='4582406']
[quote name='aannddyy00' timestamp='1332741425' post='4581362']
[quote name='Thrillhouse' timestamp='1332482539' post='4561454']
Man I can't believe people are saying they don't see anyone playing ping clubs, ping irons are probably the most popular iron around here, tons of people playing them.
[/quote]

+1
[/quote]

Yeah. It's really strange. I thought I might have been going nuts when I said that, so I made sure to look around at the course this weekend. Looking at people's bags Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, I didn't see any newer Ping irons. Only one guy had an old set of ISI K irons. I didn't see any Ping woods, but they could have been hidden under custom covers, and I saw only 4 Ping putters. That's the crazy part. Almost everyone played Ping putters a decade ago. Now I don't see any.
[/quote]

Whenever I take a look at 'what's in the bag' at my home course, I remember how segmented the WRX community really is. It seems that 80% of the bags I see have irons that are at least 4 years old. And a TON of fairly new TaylorMade woods.

PING G430 Max 10.5 

PING G430 5w
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

[quote name='leftypga' timestamp='1332738911' post='4581270']

[/quote]

I know you got a lot of Nike stuff for free lately so you probably feel the need to defend them but you are clearly not objective.
Why lure people by putting Fubuki K on a shaft that isn't close to the real thing. I could only tried the stiff and it felt more like a ladies flex. The head is seriously hot and I'm sure that if they cared more about offering a serious product instead of showing off, they would have put a shaft that would fit much better with this nice head. [b]Like they claim in the new commercial, the Nike designers put all their efforts in the part of the club that actually hit the golf ball. Nothing else.[/b] :cheesy:

May the shaft fit you or not, deep down inside, you know I'm right. We wouldn't be having this discussion if Nike had put a real Fubuki K in the VR_S.
It's not 1999 anymore. It's not enough to simply put a graphite shaft on a driver to justify the selling price.

You don't need to put a $300, new hot shaft of the year to sell a head. Just put a good shaft. At least, Titleist had the decency to offer made for shafts that were very close to the real thing. And they offered real PX as stock options.

That's why imo Cleveland is underrated. All there stock shafts are real Miyazaki. And even though some people think the Cleveland classic look is cheesy, there is obviously something that works because you'll notice that pretty much all the staffers are playing the 290. In the previous years, they were gaming whatever model, some as old as the XL tour. They are obviously in the good direction with the 588 line and have serious offering with the mashie and their awesome and very inexpensive classic putters. I wouldn't mind having a full Cleveland bag !

Bridgestone and Wilson Staff... love them, gamed them but... that's for another thread.

Bridgestone J715 B5 / Accra tour Z 75+ 05
Adams Tight Lies ti 15*/ UST V2 Tour flight X
TEE CB proH 18* & Cleveland 588 mt 21*
Adams XTD forged 5-pw / C-taper 120S
ATV 50*&54* / X forged MD C-grind 58*
Odyssey Versa BWB #7 / SS 3.0 or
TM Spider Vicino CS / SS pistol gt 2.0
TM Lethal

[u]I [/u]Dont know if they are under rated but right now their stuff is over priced. 1000 dollars for their irons? GIve me a break.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

I miss having a Cleveland product in my bag, it's been a long time since the Comp and man that was a nice product. I really enjoyed my black TA3 Tours, still think it was one of the sharpest finishes out there. Like many have said, nothing has really jumped out and grabbed me by the throat...BB

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

[quote name='leftypga' timestamp='1332775405' post='4583362']
[/quote]

Why are you even reading this thread? Do you just browse the site looking to bash Nike? Why don't you actually contribute to the conversation about Cleveland Golf? That's what this thread is about. I didn't even bring up Nike until your ridiculous comment on the first page. Of course I'm going to defend the clubs I play if someone bashes them when just because they are offended by my honest opinion of the topic at hand. You'd think I was making a personal attack on people when I said I didn't like the recent Cleveland clubs. I have hit the new clubs and I just don't care for them. They obviously do just fine for several others here. Do you even like the Cleveland clubs??? That's what we're here to discuss.
[/quote]

And i said i hit the Nike clubs and don't care for them. You would think i was making a personal attack on people when i say i don't like the Nike clubs.
I hope it was OK for me to post this. Perhaps i should have checked with you first to see what we are are permitted to talk about.

Cleveland and Bridgestone have been very underrated for a while. My first set of $$$ golf clubs was all cleveland since i was such a big Vijay fan, Launcher 400, Launcher steel 13/19 with the gold shafts, CG1 black pearls, and CG 10 wedges. That was one hot bag at the time!

If Cleveland would put together a fairway wood that could contend with the 2006 launcher, or even the Hibore's they would have a fantastic lineup top to bottom... their Classic putters are as good as anything out there.

I would game an all cleveland bag in a minute.

Classic 290
Hibore XLS 15
Mashie plus 20.5
588 combo set
588 wedges
Classic black platinum #7

Cobra Bio Cell 11*
F6 Baffler 17.5
Hibore Hybrid 22*
850 Forged 5-GW
MP-T10 54, EYE 2 61
Odyssey 7

[quote name='wolfpack' timestamp='1332809913' post='4587944']
Cleveland and Bridgestone have been very underrated for a while. My first set of $$$ golf clubs was all cleveland since i was such a big Vijay fan, Launcher 400, Launcher steel 13/19 with the gold shafts, CG1 black pearls, and CG 10 wedges. That was one hot bag at the time!

If Cleveland would put together a fairway wood that could contend with the 2006 launcher, or even the Hibore's they would have a fantastic lineup top to bottom... their Classic putters are as good as anything out there.

I would game an all cleveland bag in a minute.

Classic 290
Hibore XLS 15
Mashie plus 20.5
588 combo set
588 wedges
Classic black platinum #7
[/quote]

Just put the classic black #7 in play and I have no complaints at all about it. It actually feels softer than my Scotty Mil-Spec. I game the CG14's with pride. I should have a set of CG7 tour heads arriving tomorrow and I'm excited about those as well.
I still have my Cleveland 2006 launcher 5wd. I didn't even change out the shaft as it works just fine. I've been hunting for a 2006 15* as well. I could see gaming a full Cleveland bag again. I had it once before, they were stolen sadly.

Had: 2009 Launcher driver, 3wd, 19*
CG tour blades
CG14 wedges
Classic #1.

I miss that bag!

Callaway Rogue ST LS ***  Fujikura Rombax Type X
Callaway Rogue ST LS 3wd w/Diamana D+ Whiteboard 70TX
Callaway Rogue ST LS 5wd w/Diamana D+ Whiteboard 80X
Callaway TCB 4-GW w/Project X 6.0
Callaway Jaws RAW 56/60
EvnRoll 5.2 Short Slant

I really like the old school look they tried to recreate this year. It may not appeal to everyone, but I like old fashioned wood woods and would even play them if I wasn't giving up so many yards. These seem to marry old school look with modern technology. I have yet to hit but looks interesting.

----------------
Golf Jobs
Driver: Titleist TS3 9.5 w/ Tensei Blue 55 S
3W: Titleist 915F 15 w/ Diamana D+ 80 S
3H: Titleist 915H 21 w/ Diamana D+ 90 S
Irons: 4-GW Titleist T100 w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Wedge: Vokey SM8 54.10S TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Wedge: Vokey SM8 60.04L TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Ball: 2021 Titleist ProV1

spacer.png

I just said this on another thread, but felt it belonged here. Gmac with the headcover off for the whole round. That's not normal for him is it? I am thinking he just wanted to show the driver some love on television. I think it looks and sounds awesome, and if I am not playing one within a month I will be shocked.

[quote name='wobgon' timestamp='1332809779' post='4587922']
[quote name='leftypga' timestamp='1332775405' post='4583362']
[/quote]

[/quote]

And i said i hit the Nike clubs and don't care for them. You would think i was making a personal attack on people when i say i don't like the Nike clubs.
I hope it was OK for me to post this. Perhaps i should have checked with you first to see what we are are permitted to talk about.
[/quote]

Some people are so dense. My point was that you had nothing to contribute to the discussion about Cleveland clubs. I don't really care if you don't like Nike clubs. The point was, we were discussing Cleveland Golf until you brought it up. I give up. This is the last time I visit this thread.:russian_roulette:

I wish they had fairway woods that matched the wood looking drivers.

----------------
Golf Jobs
Driver: Titleist TS3 9.5 w/ Tensei Blue 55 S
3W: Titleist 915F 15 w/ Diamana D+ 80 S
3H: Titleist 915H 21 w/ Diamana D+ 90 S
Irons: 4-GW Titleist T100 w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Wedge: Vokey SM8 54.10S TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Wedge: Vokey SM8 60.04L TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Ball: 2021 Titleist ProV1

spacer.png

I probably won't shell out for any of it but I do love the new Cleveland stuff. I'm not going to look through all the posts but I hope no one said Adams was more underrated. Anyone who's ever been on this site knows they have as loyal a following as TaylorMade. I would probably have to vote for Scratch, who makes awesome clubs and doesn't get near the attention they deserve.

Titleist 910D2 8.5, Oban Devotion 7
Titleist 910F 13.5, Motore Speeder 7.0
TItleist 910F 19, Diamana Kai'li 70
Mizuno MP-32 4-PW, S400
Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 52.08, 56.14, 60.04
Ping Redwood Anser

hands down, most underrated is......wilson staff!! no love anywhere. yet their product (irons, wedges) are nop notch. they have forged for the low cappers, they have game improvement that several golf mags have rated the best since '06, and the new wedge is awesome. but hard to find in stores. they are trying to push their history of majors won with the irons, and have some new interesting commercials (seriously!!), and sponsor some euro tour on the golf channel. but way underappreciated in the states!

• 2 weeks later...

I started out in 2001 with a set of TA5 gun metal clubs, my first new purchase for irons, after a year, in 2002, I purchased a set of TA7's and rocked them for 6 yrs until I purchased the CG Red Tours in 2008, I never really found my groove with the reds, but played them until this year when I bought the CG 16's. I love them. As far as drivers go, I purchased the original 330 launcher, until it was unseated by a Titty 975J, and i hit that well for years. Then in 2008, when I purchased the CG Reds, I bought an XLS Hi bore and hit it rather well, but could not stand the claymoore exploding sound on impact. I tried the 09 Launcher and hated it, in every possible stock shaft combo. I never tried the DST, but ended up with an SL290 now that my local shop is selling all the Cleveland Ultralites for 119 new. Under rated? I think they always have been, but of course, I'm the idiot you laugh at when I walk by with my Clevealand red white and blue bag, hat and full set of clubs, and shank the 1st tee.