2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

PGA Tour and Tobacco

Arizonalefty59

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tiger does not chew.

Even with the smallest dip in your mouth it is obvious, and he is on TV sooo often during a tourney. I (an ex "chewer") would have picked up on it instantly.

I disagree. I could talk face-to-face with you with a dip in my mouth and you wouldn't know it was there unless you smelled it.

That said, I don't think Tiger dips/chews, but many players do. Many also smoke, but mainly when walking from green-to-tee.

Not sure who you are trying to kid, i would assume yourself. The smallest dip any "chewer" woud ever take would be at least the size of 1 piece of bubble yum chewing gum. Go buy some and stick it between your lip and teeth and tell me you cant tell its beyond obvious...seriously buddy

I know I'm years late to the party (but I did not resurrect this thread, already was), there is no chance, none, that you'd know I did if you walked by me. You don't have to put it in your front lip. You can put it in the back. For me, at home equals front lip. In public equals back. Think wisdom teeth level. You think you can tell on my fat face? No prayer bud. Only chance you'd have is seeing me buy it. I believe in not setting a bad example for kids so no one ever sees me throw one in outside of my house. I also work in a professional setting where it would be really frowned on. Again, no one sees. I'm not spitting. My face is symmetrical. I don't put it in in front of you. So how are you going to pick that out? Growing up where I did, if you dipped in school you could figure out how to hide it. I spent most of this time trying to hide it only to have my high school principal tell me he didn't care so long as I wasn't advertising it or making a mess. Same in adult business world. No one cares so long as you aren't stupid about it.

Hmm I think you may be the one who is confused. I dipped for 9 years regularly and while I could never truly hide my lip, I had several friends that could. A lot of it depends on the structure and shape of your face, but it is entirely possible to easily hide a dip, even a big one. Some regular dippers even develop a "pocket" where the dip fits nicely and basically hides itself. You know you can put a dip anywhere between teeth and gum right? Doesnt have to be right in front. If you get someone like that and hes maybe even swallowing the spit, no way you are telling unless you are able to smell it or you see him spit.

Disagree +1

Again, no prayer. I'm glad you've taken a stance. You are dead wrong though sir. I've had people that I've worked with for a decade be surprised if they see me buy it at a gas station. I literally eat and sleep with the stuff in my mouth. No one ever knows. My kids (unfortunately) and my wife (whoopteedoo) know. Outside of that, only those that I want to know or have randomly ran into me during the act of purchasing it know. No one. You'd be no different. Outside of a trained face-ologist (you heard it here first, it's going to be a 1%er type field) no one could.

Again, it goes in by my wisdom teeth in public. I do not spit everywhere. I do not put a dip in while strangers are watching. I don't really care if people know, I just don't want to set a bad example for kids. I'm very involved with youth sports of all manner in my community. I'd hate for one of the kids that I encounter through this to think that it's ok.

You can't hide it from your dentist. Kiss me baby. Nothing makes me sick.

My dentist dips. Don't need to hide it from him.

I legit have not been to a dentist in 25 years. I got tired of them giving me crap about it. I have an unwritten agreement with all the dentists of this world that I will visit them, if and only if... my teeth hurt. So far so good. I'll occasionally have tooth pain. Nowhere near enough to have some guy lecture me when I'm paying him. No thanks. I think I need to find a dentist that dips.

Come to think of it my family doc (who looks like a marathon runner on crack) gives me a little too much crap for my liking about my weight. Sure I could look like him. It just would require way too much effort. So long as I stay just south of diabetes I'm happy. Why can't he be?

I need to find a dippIng dentist and a fat doctor. Help? I travel all over so anyone in the states would be ok.

is it a cultural thing (the South), a recreational thing, a performance/mood boost, or ultimately a maintenance of addiction to nicotine,

I agree, wonder who will be the first pro to vape for similar reasons.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

There's also a thing called Snus. Its very popular in Sweden. Its basically a pouch of tobacco that one can keep in his mouth like regular dip, but without the need to spit.

I use snus occasionally and when I have a pouch in my mouth no one can tell.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 6X

PXG Gen 5 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

I'd agree except for the direction our country is headed with free / subsidized health care it isn't as simple since we the taxpayers have to pay for the care of those that use / abuse tobacco products and alcohol. If people want to forfeit their rights to free / subsidized health care then I'm 100% in agreement with you.

Not a political discussion (truly) but then you go down the rabbit hole of people having to eat better, exercise and on and on. Having the freedom to choose what you ingest and then whether or not we want to pay for people's health care are two different discussions. At least to me.

Politics aside, I disagree about them being separate discussions. There is a direct link between cost of healthcare and the things people ingest. We're probably getting too close to this being political so I'll leave it at that.

What makes alcohol different from tobacco is it was determined second hand smoke was a dangerous byproduct and could affect non-smokers and children. Alcohol consumption (aside from DWI/DUI) does not pose the same risk to others as smoking.

Also, sugar probably kills way more people than alcohol each year, in the form of heart disease and diabetes, but nobody wants to police sugar intake.

I'd agree except for the direction our country is headed with free / subsidized health care it isn't as simple since we the taxpayers have to pay for the care of those that use / abuse tobacco products and alcohol. If people want to forfeit their rights to free / subsidized health care then I'm 100% in agreement with you.

Not a political discussion (truly) but then you go down the rabbit hole of people having to eat better, exercise and on and on. Having the freedom to choose what you ingest and then whether or not we want to pay for people's health care are two different discussions. At least to me.

Politics aside, I disagree about them being separate discussions. There is a direct link between cost of healthcare and the things people ingest. We're probably getting too close to this being political so I'll leave it at that.

What makes alcohol different from tobacco is it was determined second hand smoke was a dangerous byproduct and could affect non-smokers and children. Alcohol consumption (aside from DWI/DUI) does not pose the same risk to others as smoking.

Also, sugar probably kills way more people than alcohol each year, in the form of heart disease and diabetes, but nobody wants to police sugar intake.

Well, people need to eat food (and may everyone who does be thankful they can).

Having said that, there is literally something bad with everything:

IgG response (food "intolerance")

IgE response (food allergy)

Sugar

Saturated fat

Trans fats

Processed food

Gluten

Residual pesticides/antibiotics

Nitrites (ooops, but there's also clostridium botulinum)

Red meat

Glycemic index

GMOs

Folic acid

Yeast

Literally, adhering to every food borne "problem" will leave you in the middle of fields picking berries to eat. But oops, berries cross-react with ragweed allergens.

I found this forum, which is odd, because I have been trying to quit for a few months now. Have been dipping for about 15 years, I started I high school with baseball, quit while I was in the military and started up a few years later. I have to be honest, I really don't want to quit. It's like one of the last few pleasures I enjoy (besides golf obviously). I was diagnosed with Celiac a few months ago, so I cannot eat anything with Gluten in it, no beers either.

The wife decided for me that sex was no longer enjoyable, after menopause. It seems like as we get older we have to keep giving up things, and I am holding on to dipping a little while longer. I have a really stressful job and it relaxes me.

TM Stealth 2+ 10.5deg Hzrdus Smoke 4G Black 60 6.0

Titleist TSi2 16.5deg Hzrdus Smoke Black 70 6.0

TM Stealth 2+ 3 Hybrid Project X Black 80 stiff

TM P770 5-AW DG 105 S300

TM MG4 54/58 DG 105 S300

SC Newport Select 34" (rotate them)

TM TP5X

Bull. The sugar police are trying to ban sodas and sweet snacks all over the place. Corn syrup is probably the worst though.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

I found this forum, which is odd, because I have been trying to quit for a few months now. Have been dipping for about 15 years, I started I high school with baseball, quit while I was in the military and started up a few years later. I have to be honest, I really don't want to quit. It's like one of the last few pleasures I enjoy (besides golf obviously). I was diagnosed with Celiac a few months ago, so I cannot eat anything with Gluten in it, no beers either.

The wife decided for me that sex was no longer enjoyable, after menopause. It seems like as we get older we have to keep giving up things, and I am holding on to dipping a little while longer. I have a really stressful job and it relaxes me.

Damn. Just damn.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Bull. The sugar police are trying to ban sodas and sweet snacks all over the place. Corn syrup is probably the worst though.

Fructose, Glucose. What's the diff...

I would say golf and snuff is good to go here.

Disclaimer, I am a fellow dipper as well.

Thank you for your service!

You can't hide it from your dentist. Kiss me baby. Nothing makes me sick.

My dentist dips. Don't need to hide it from him.

I legit have not been to a dentist in 25 years. I got tired of them giving me crap about it. I have an unwritten agreement with all the dentists of this world that I will visit them, if and only if... my teeth hurt. So far so good. I'll occasionally have tooth pain. Nowhere near enough to have some guy lecture me when I'm paying him. No thanks. I think I need to find a dentist that dips.

Come to think of it my family doc (who looks like a marathon runner on crack) gives me a little too much crap for my liking about my weight. Sure I could look like him. It just would require way too much effort. So long as I stay just south of diabetes I'm happy. Why can't he be?

I need to find a dippIng dentist and a fat doctor. Help? I travel all over so anyone in the states would be ok.

"I legit have not been to a dentist in 25 years"

This is not a good plan, bro.

There are microscopic barnacles literally eating your jawbone that hold your teeth in, man. 24/7.

Go to the dentist.

Tomorrow.

Your post makes me really sad, especially the sex part. Welcome to marriage I guess! I've had that disease (marriage) for a long time. I'll put on my male pig hat for a second and state that I'm at the point of my disease where I don't really care if she enjoys it, so long as she complies! So far so good, as long as I don't interrupt any tv that she finds important! That's pretty sad too but at least 50% of the adult people in my house still enjoy it. I'd try harder to make sure that she did too but there is only so much time in those commercial breaks.... lol!