Adams XTD fwy vs. i20 fwy vs. MP 650 ***UPDATE***

Sniperman

Anyone compare the THREE?
I originally posted the following:

As I plan to retire my '07 TM Burner TP, I've been reading reviews on the latest fairways. Two that stood out in the current reviews are the Adams XTD Ti and the Ping i20. Has anyone had a chance to compare these side by side? What are your thoughts?

Then after a week of reading and listening and watching reviews, I decided to add the Mizuno MP 650 in the mix.

I've only had a chance to hit the i20 and XTD on a hitting bay with a launch monitor. I've never been one who trusted LM numbers, but for the sake of reference I will use those magical numbers to compare the two. In the aesthetics department, the i20 is a clear runaway for me - no arguments, not even close!

I tested out both clubs in the stock offerings, 3-14* w/ PX6.0 for the i20, 3-14.5* w/ Fub AX65 stiff for the XTD. Both shafts felt good, but the i20 seemed to give a better feedback on the downswing. The XTD almost felt boardy, but not quite. Even I don't understand that statement because I never felt that having owned a Fubuki Alpha in a Superdeep. According to LM numbers (sorry, only focused on distance), I was averaging 247 with the i20, and a slightly longer 255 in the XTD. However, I was more in control of my dispersion with the i20. More balls landed towards the middle while hitting the i20, versus the XTD, I was all over the monitor - military cadence, left, left, right left... At the end of my "testing," the guy at the shop took the words right out of my mouth, "I'd rather be 10 yards short and straight, than 10 yards longer and not know where the ball ends up!" I left it at that and went home to do more reading.

Unfortunately, the shop did not have ANY of the Mizuno woods so I could not compare it with the others. As I read more about the MP 650, the more it piqued my interest, especially with its all titanium construction. People talked about its feel, and no surprise there as Mizuno is well known for that in its irons. Then the sound it made, the feel of the "made for Mizzy" Fujikura Orochi shaft, open face(!) just added more to my curiosity.

So here's the update...I ended up buying the Mizuno MP 650 13.5*, 43" and D2 SW.

Ultimately, I ended up going with the Mizuno because of its "traditional" looks, open face, all titanium construction, AND its price...thanks to Discount Dan's!

Today, the club arrived...and wow! It offers a different "beauty" compared to the i20's unique matte finish. I couldn't be happier with the purchase. I can't wait to take it out tomorrow and get a "real" feel for the club. Swinging it in the garage felt better than the i20...I think the Orochi is a great "made for" shaft.

Will update again with real world results!
[indent=1]M2 Atmos Black[/indent]
[indent=1]M2 Speeder[/indent]
[indent=1]Ping G Tensei Blue[/indent]
[indent=1]p790 Modus 130[/indent]
[indent=1]O-Works Red 7s
Z Star XV[/indent]

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I played both of them at the demo day. I'm more impressed with i20 hybrid with project x than i20 fwy. I bought XTD 13 deg fwy then replaced the shaft with Proforce V2 Xstff 76g with 2.2 torque. It went so far as my driver 910D3 with Project X 6.5. Fubuki shaft isn't good for the fwy! Buy XTD 13 and replace with your driver.

11.5 BRNR Copper & 13.5 BRNR | 19* G430 3H | 22* G430 4H
NL 480-TC 5-PW | MG4 TW 56* & 60*
Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5
| Pro V1

[quote name='Golfjunki71' timestamp='1336323810' post='4858934']
I have both. They are both great and easy to hit. Xtd is longer for sure. You can't go wrong with either.
[/quote]

Which one do you find easier to hit off the deck?

[indent=1]O-Works Red 7s
Z Star XV[/indent]

[quote name='Golfjunki71' timestamp='1336345621' post='4861240']
Xtd because of the Fubuki. Both are easy. I prefer xtd for pure distance and feel. I20 looks better and only slightly behind the xtd.
[/quote]
One of the biggest draws the i20 has is certainly its looks. And on the same token, I'm afraid the slot on the xtd might become too much of a distraction. If you don't find this to be the case, then I will definitely be swayed to get the Adams.

[indent=1]O-Works Red 7s
Z Star XV[/indent]

Me: 110 mph swing speed. Normal 3 wood carry is around 245 or so. Bought the i20 15 deg with project x 6.0 first. Love it, plays great off the tee and turf. Very easy to get up in the air, though I do consider myself a good fw wood/hybrid hitter off the turf. Got the xtd 14.5 deg with fubuki stiff and we did not get along at all. Everything was going right with it. My normal shape is a 5 yard draw. It was probably the shaft, but I didn't feel like tinkering. Thankfully I never sold the i20, so it is firmly in the bag. I didn't notice any of the extra distance with the xtd personally.

My gear:
Stuff that changes yearly, monthly, weekly, daily, and even hourly........

With a fade it will be shorter.
I hit the 17 250 off the tee, that is as long as 3w for me.

[quote name='parboy' timestamp='1336350509' post='4861774']
Me: 110 mph swing speed. Normal 3 wood carry is around 245 or so. Bought the i20 15 deg with project x 6.0 first. Love it, plays great off the tee and turf. Very easy to get up in the air, though I do consider myself a good fw wood/hybrid hitter off the turf. Got the xtd 14.5 deg with fubuki stiff and we did not get along at all. Everything was going right with it. My normal shape is a 5 yard draw. It was probably the shaft, but I didn't feel like tinkering. Thankfully I never sold the i20, so it is firmly in the bag. I didn't notice any of the extra distance with the xtd personally.
[/quote]

Callaway Mavrick Callaway Mavrick SZ 3W Callaway Superhybrid Titleist 510 20 Titleist T100 Vokey SM7 54 and 60 Scotty Cameron T22

I have the XTD 3t 16* and I'm not good hitting it off the deck yet (swing flaw), but off the tee hit acouple drives between 230 and 260yds...which is a long 3-4 wood for me!

AB TP 10.5*/ DI6X
AB TP 3HL / 757
XTD 19*/ Fubuki Ax
DWS 24*/ VS Proto
J15 CB 5-PW/ Modus 3 125S
X-Forged MD (50*, 56* 60*)
Spider Si/ SS Mid SLim 2.0

[quote name='cariasii' timestamp='1336352892' post='4862094']
so control the i20..distance xtd?
[/quote]

I found the xtd to be just as straight as my 07 Burner TP...but longer, lighter, also great sound

AB TP 10.5*/ DI6X
AB TP 3HL / 757
XTD 19*/ Fubuki Ax
DWS 24*/ VS Proto
J15 CB 5-PW/ Modus 3 125S
X-Forged MD (50*, 56* 60*)
Spider Si/ SS Mid SLim 2.0

As has been mentioned, the I20 definitely wins the looks category. I love the feel of my XTD, and have had some good shots with it on the range, but on the course everything has been high and right, even after swapping the shaft. I originally thought it was the Fubuki, as I'm used to tip-stiff shafts, but my Devotion is more of the same honestly. I'm giving it a few more rounds, but if this keeps up I might consider moving it in favor of the PING. Another solid 3 wood to look at is the Mizuno 650 fairway, it feels and sounds as solid as the XTD, but looks much better, and distance was within a few yards

i have a i20 3 wood but i dunno if i want to hit it and then have to sell it as used....i am currently using a r11s 17* but set on lower and set on open

Ping G410 LST - Tensei Pro Orange 60tx
Tour Issue Rogue SZ 16.5°- Tensei Pro Blue 80TX Yonex Ezone CB 4-pw - Nippon Modus 3 120x
50° and 55° Titleist SM8
61° Taylormade Hi -Toe 
Odyssey Dualforce 330

"I played the XTD 15* hybrid for a short time and liked t. But on the advice of a friend I switched to the i20 fairway and won my my first PGA Tour event! I'm never going back! (Don't quote me on that)."

R. Fowler

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-), Alta CB S
PING G430 hybrid 22° (F-), Alta CB S
PING i530 5-U, DG Mid 115 S300
PING s159 54°-W (bent 52°), 58°-B, DG Mid 115 S300
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

I've played both. The i20 looks and plays nice, but the XTD is freakin awesome! I have it in the Fubuki X-Stiff and hit nice soft draws that go 20 yards longer than any other fairway wood I've ever hit (r9 tp, titleist 910f, i20, r11, r11s to name a few). I find that the slot on top helps to frame the ball and is not at all distracting.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* Tour Black 2.0 65X

Titleist TSr2+ 13* Diamana D+ Limited 80X

Titleist TSr2 16.5* Diamana D+ Limited 80X
Titleist TSi2 21* Speeder HB 8.8 TS
Ping G430 5-UW Steelfiber i80S
Ping Glide 2.0 SS 54* Steelfiber i80S

Cleveland CBX 2 60* DG 115
Scottie Super Select Squareback 2

Titleist AVX/Bridgestone BRX

[quote name='TheMackDaddy' timestamp='1336449589' post='4870134']
Think i'm gonna go for an XTD from the BST. The Fubuki 65 is too light for my liking though, but i'll take that any day over the TFC stiff piece of rebar!
[/quote]

Did you try the PX Black?

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

Oh believe me, i've tried allll the combo's LOL. Didn't really think the PX black was really that great, the Fubuki is OKAY but spins alot for me.[quote name='J.W.' timestamp='1336451115' post='4870270']
[quote name='TheMackDaddy' timestamp='1336449589' post='4870134']
Think i'm gonna go for an XTD from the BST. The Fubuki 65 is too light for my liking though, but i'll take that any day over the TFC stiff piece of rebar!
[/quote]

Did you try the PX Black?
[/quote]

UPDATE...after extensive reading of posts and watching video reviews, I ended up with neither of the clubs I mentioned in my post. Thanks again to GolfWRX forums and youtube videos, I went with a strong Mizuno MP 650!!! This should compliment my MP63s. And thank you, DiscountDansGolf, for giving me such a great deal! I can't wait to get my hands on the new club...I just hope it gets here sooner than two weeks.

Wish me luck on this new adventure and building a new relationship with the club.

[indent=1]O-Works Red 7s
Z Star XV[/indent]

[quote name='Sniperman' timestamp='1336455659' post='4870504']
UPDATE...after extensive reading of posts and watching video reviews, I ended up with neither of the clubs I mentioned in my post. Thanks again to GolfWRX forums and youtube videos, I went with a strong Mizuno MP 650!!! This should compliment my MP63s. And thank you, DiscountDansGolf, for giving me such a great deal! I can't wait to get my hands on the new club...I just hope it gets here sooner than two weeks.

Wish me luck on this new adventure and building a new relationship with the club.
[/quote]

A wise choice.

My recent fitting session, which I documented in a post a couple days ago, showed the XTD is simply the best 3 wood on the market for me. I hit everything with 3 or 4 of my go-to 3 wood shafts, and nothing could touch the XTD.

Titleist TSR3 9* w/ GD UB-6 (S)
Titleist TSR2 15* & 21* w/ GD UB-7,8 (S)
Titleist u505 22* w/ Atmos Blue HB 85 (S)
Titleist T200/150 5-PW w/ Steelfiber i110 (S)
Vokey SM8 50*, 55*, 60* w/ S300
Scotty Cameron Toolbox

[quote name='Sniperman' timestamp='1336455659' post='4870504']

[/quote]

You'll have to pull your driver out of the bag when you get it. I have the mp650 5 wood & it's 10 yards short of my driver+as long as my JPX 3 wood.

Adams 9015D w/X con4,Ping G20 w/HD6& [color=#0000CD Mizuno JPX 900 5 & 7 woods,Mashie 3 & 4
Bridgestone J40 DPC’s & S3 Pro’s,Mizuno S7 54 & 58
[color=#FF0000]Bettinardi SS7, BC1,Ping Anser 1968 BeCu

The XTD is awesome for distance but I have two issues. It's very hard to draw the ball and fade is not my favorite ball flight. Also, I hit it a little too low. Launch seems to be only 9-10*. I even sent an e-mail to Adams to ask if they can bend the loft weaker. They say no due to the velocity slot. The ball seems to have pretty low spin, which I like a lot. This low spin characteristics would be great if the launch was higher. Although I've been looking for long hitting 3 wood and found it, I might have to give up and sell my XTD because of the low launch and the fade tendency.

[size="3"]I recently put a XTD 14.5 degree with the Fubuki AX 65 stiff shaft in the bag...I have played two rounds with it and like it very much...I use it primarially off the tee (don't own a driver...hate those big heads)...I hit a few of them around 250 (according to Golf Buddy).

But what I am wondering as I have read that a lot of posters on this thread have the 13 degree model...is how much longer do you think the 13 degree model (see difference in specs below...stronger loft and 1/2 inch longer) would be off the tee than the 14.5? Heck if I could get another 10 yards that would be worth making the change...thanks.[/size]

[attachment=1154012:XTD_Specs.PNG]

[size=3][b]PING[/b] - Rapture V2, 17*, TFC 939 H, x-stiff
[b]PING [/b]- [color=#FF0000]i[/color]20 irons, 3 - PW, +3/4 Black dot, CFS stiff
[b]PING [/b]- Glide 50ss / 54ss, +1/2 Black dot, CFS wedge
[b]PING[/b] - Cadence TR B65, 35in
[b]W/S[/b] - Duo Spin[/size]

[quote name='etrichards' timestamp='1336529036' post='4876630']
I'm not speaking from experience, as I've never hit the XTD 13 degree...but combining the loft with the extra shaft length I'd expect somewhere around 20 yds off a tee.
[/quote]

[size="3"]Wow! 20 yards...really? My club guy thinks I would only "maybe" average 5-10 yards more...maybe? But then again he has been trying to get me into a driver??? But I am a Senior Amatuer (53 yrs old) and play some tournaments...I hope to compete in State Senior Am tournaments when I turn 55...usually our courses are between 6400-6700 yards and for me if I can consistently (with confidence) hit a strong 3 wood 250 - 260 I can compete as my strengths are my iron game and my short game...have always struggled off the tee as I have a very upright swing and fade the ball...I am 6ft 4in...anyone else have an opinon on this? Thanks for you help![/size]

[size=3][b]PING[/b] - Rapture V2, 17*, TFC 939 H, x-stiff
[b]PING [/b]- [color=#FF0000]i[/color]20 irons, 3 - PW, +3/4 Black dot, CFS stiff
[b]PING [/b]- Glide 50ss / 54ss, +1/2 Black dot, CFS wedge
[b]PING[/b] - Cadence TR B65, 35in
[b]W/S[/b] - Duo Spin[/size]