2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Wow...RBZ Tour Driver

toolman

So I went to my local golf store today and brought a few older clubs in thinking I may trade them in for a new putter. While there I decided to try out a few newer drivers. I've already had the r11, d2, d3, i20 etc etc but had never even hit the rbz driver. SO I ran out to my car and brought in my current driver, an 09 burner cut to play 44.75. I was hitting it constantly around 250 with maybe a few being in the 270 range, ball speed generally around 150ish sometimes in the low 160s. So I step up and hit the rbz, first strike is completely bombed 303 yards 171 mph balls speed!! I think maybe its a fluke so I take one more swing and honestly it felt like I barely swung but the results were 312 yards, 175mph!! ball speed, the golf pro said that equated to around 120mph swing speed. Ladies and gentlemen yes I'm a younger guy 26 and in good shape but I had no clue I could hit a bar that far or that fast. Needless to say I now own the driver and can't wait to get it out on the course.

Mavrik Sub Zero 8* AD DI 6X

Taylormade Sim2 Ti 13.5*

Callaway Apex UW 17* AD DI 7X

Callaway Apex UT 2 iron  Smoke Black

Sub 70 TC raw 4-pw  KBS 120 Black
Taylormade Hi-Toe 52 and 58

Odyssey 7s Stroke Lab

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The stock ozik 6 shaft (stiff flex). I dont understand how I can pick up that much distance with just a driver change.

Taylormade Sim2 Ti 13.5*

Odyssey 7s Stroke Lab

[quote name='toolman' timestamp='1338393667' post='5000842']
The stock ozik 6 shaft (stiff flex). I dont understand how I can pick up that much distance with just a driver change.
[/quote]

I assume this was on a LM in the store? You may find that reality doesn't always match up to the LM but good luck and let us know how it goes on the course.

EDIT - I've have noticed that some photo based LM's can get confused by the white driver head if the settings on the LM aren't correct.You have to look at the picture capture to make sure it was actually "seeing" the ball.

Something sounds fishy..

Titleist TSi3 8* // TENSEI 1K Black 65s

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 15* // Kai'li 80x
Taylormade SLDR 17* Rescue // Speeder 9.3s
Taylormade SLDR 19* Rescue // Matrix Black Tie 95s
Srixon ZX5 4-PW // Nippon Modus 120s
50* & 56* Taylormade MG3 // Tour Issue S-200
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

It was at a local store, not a big name store. I know the owner and his LM is older but just comparing the numbers it was a huge difference. Maybe the old 49g shaft on the burner was just way to weak for me. The pro there also gave me a few swing tips so maybe that helped. I will update this after I play a round with it.

Taylormade Sim2 Ti 13.5*

Odyssey 7s Stroke Lab

I've had a RBZ Tour 9*/RIP Gamma combo for approx two months and it is a great set up for me. I can hit it low/high, draw/fade, and get great carry/roll out.

IMO, it has just enough adjustability without being to confusing. I have it set to up- right and I can hit my preferred draw at will. However, I like the ability to change loft/lie/face angle if necessary.

Plus, the sound/feel is not loud, harsh, and annoying as many have noted. I actually find the sound/feel to be very similar to many past TM drivers and that is a very good thing ;)

The golf equioment ho in me wondered if I could find a better set up with all the Memorial sales going on this past weekend. So, I spent countless hours hitting R11s/Razr Fit TA/Fast 12LS/910 combos. After exhausting testing, nothing was able to dethrone my RBZ Tour combo :bb:

Needless to say, the RBZ Tour has beat down all comers and will be staying put in the bag :superman:

Very strange results at first glance. That's a huge ballspeed increase. Assuming a 1.50 smash factor, it looks as if your swing speed increased from 100 to about 117. Which really doesn't make sense without other factors.

But there were some other factors. One is that the RBZ is an inch longer. That could add maybe 2 mph. A swing tip could probably account for quite a few mph also. Did you use that tip for both drivers?

More likely, most of the difference could've come from smash factor differences. Maybe the swingspeed was actually closer to 110 mph with the Burner but the smash factor was closer to 1.40-1.45.

So if the swing speed went up by 6 or 7 with the extra inch, and smash factor went up a bit, there's your ball speed increase. And assuming better launch angle/spin rate, you could definitely end up with a 30+ yard distance increase.

Driver fitting FTW. :)

[quote name='1163' timestamp='1338397856' post='5001254']
I've had a RBZ Tour 9*/RIP Gamma combo for approx two months and it is a great set up for me. I can hit it low/high, draw/fade, and get great carry/roll out.
[/quote]

I'm playing mine with the gamma as well. The HD6 was a little too low launching for me. Gamma's a fantastic shaft! I'm surprised I don't see it mentioned more on this forum, or else-where. Seems like for some reason it get's overlooked.

[quote name='Deadpool_25' timestamp='1338398000' post='5001278']
Very strange results at first glance. That's a huge ballspeed increase. Assuming a 1.50 smash factor, it looks as if your swing speed increased from 100 to about 117. Which really doesn't make sense without other factors.

But there were some other factors. One is that the RBZ is an inch longer. That could add maybe 2 mph. A swing tip could probably account for quite a few mph also. Did you use that tip for both drivers?

More likely, most of the difference could've come from smash factor differences. Maybe the swingspeed was actually closer to 110 mph with the Burner but the smash factor was closer to 1.40-1.45.

So if the swing speed went up by 6 or 7 with the extra inch, and smash factor went up a bit, there's your ball speed increase. And assuming better launch angle/spin rate, you could definitely end up with a 30+ yard distance increase.

Driver fitting FTW. :)
[/quote]

The tips came after the session with my burner driver, I was hitting everything slightly off the heel and the fitter told me to try to block the ball and keep my left arm a bit straighter he then handed me the rbz. Also I should point out I was gripping down on the rbz an inch and as soon as I purchased it I had them cut it down an inch as well.

I assume the shaft fits me better and I was not swinging right with my previous drivers. I wish it wasnt dumping rain so I could take a few swings. My Taylormade 300 irons came in today as well and im dying to hit them.

Taylormade Sim2 Ti 13.5*

Odyssey 7s Stroke Lab

[quote name='AGBear' timestamp='1338406103' post='5002246']
Sounds like the "local shop" is juicing the monitor to sell drivers
[/quote]

Unless the monitor could somehow sense that I was hitting the new driver I highly doubt it since they didnt erase the screen or anything after hitting the previous driver. Again I know the owner personally and I highly doubt he would do anything like that.

Taylormade Sim2 Ti 13.5*

Odyssey 7s Stroke Lab

[quote name='AGBear' timestamp='1338406137' post='5002248']
Sounds like the "local shop" is juicing the monitor to sell drivers
[/quote]

They're just calibrating the monitor to how far the average person claims to drive the ball.

Callaway Mavrick Callaway Mavrick SZ 3W Callaway Superhybrid Titleist 510 20 Titleist T100 Vokey SM7 54 and 60 Scotty Cameron T22

[left]I have the same club at 10.5*(opened 1.5*) with a Tour AD BB7 X-Stiff[color="#333333"] and it is definitely a beast. I have a SS of 112 - 115 and when I was doing my fitting at Cool Clubs I was averaging 308 with a couple out at 325 range. I had my heart set on the R11S but it was coming off the head with too much spin. The sound is definitely loud..people move away from me on the driving range and I can't really blame them.[/color][/left]

Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus - 9* Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x  

Taylormade Stealth 2 - 16.5* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7x  

Taylormade Stealth 2 - 21* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 8x  
Ping I20 (4 - GW) - KBS Tour 130 X-Stiff 130g  
Titleist Vokey SM4 Nickel - 56.14 - KBS Tour X-Stiff 130g  
Titleist Vokey SM4 Nickel - 60.10 - KBS Tour X-Stiff 130g  
Titleist Scotty Phantom X 7  

Titleist Pro V1 Ball | NO1 50-PRO Grips | Nikon Coolshot Pro II Rangefinder

[quote name='toolman' timestamp='1338390993' post='5000528']
So I went to my local golf store today and brought a few older clubs in thinking I may trade them in for a new putter. While there I decided to try out a few newer drivers. I've already had the r11, d2, d3, i20 etc etc but had never even hit the rbz driver. SO I ran out to my car and brought in my current driver, an 09 burner cut to play 44.75. I was hitting it constantly around 250 with maybe a few being in the 270 range, ball speed generally around 150ish sometimes in the low 160s. So I step up and hit the rbz, first strike is completely bombed 303 yards 171 mph balls speed!! I think maybe its a fluke so I take one more swing and honestly it felt like I barely swung but the results were 312 yards, 175mph!! ball speed, the golf pro said that equated to around 120mph swing speed. Ladies and gentlemen yes I'm a younger guy 26 and in good shape but I had no clue I could hit a bar that far or that fast. Needless to say I now own the driver and can't wait to get it out on the course.
[/quote]

Don't stop believin' your results because if you do the towering 300 yard drives are going to drop out of the air at 250/260 just like every other driver you decide to play.

[quote name='Stuart G.' timestamp='1338400582' post='5001612']
[/quote]

I'm playing mine with the gamma as well. The HD6 was a little too low launching for me. Gamma's a fantastic shaft! I'm surprised I don't see it mentioned more on this forum, or else-where. Seems like for some reason it get's overlooked.
[/quote]

I agree the RIP Gamma is underrated. Maybe it is because it got a bad rap when Admas put a watered down 'made for' version in their 9064LS.

For me, it has the same launch as the HD6 with lower spin and much better feel. I heard a fitter describe it as a much better feeling cousin of the RIP Alpha with very similar spin and a little higher launch. I would say this description is spot on :yes:

Plus, ther is no charge for a real after market RIP Gamma from TM and they now use the shaft OEM's graphics which makes my combo look down right dangerous :aikido:

[quote name='1163' timestamp='1338410787' post='5002702']
[quote name='Stuart G.' timestamp='1338400582' post='5001612']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I agree the RIP Gamma is underrated. Maybe it is because it got a bad rap when Admas put a watered down 'made for' version in their 9064LS.

For me, it has the same launch as the HD6 with lower spin and much better feel. I heard a fitter describe it as a much better feeling cousin of the RIP Alpha with very similar spin and a little higher launch. I would say this description is spot on :yes:

Plus, ther is no charge for a real after market RIP Gamma from TM and they now use the shaft OEM's graphics which makes my combo look down right dangerous :aikido:
[/quote]
The rips in the Adams 9064 were not watered down they were the real deal

My Bag
Callaway Epic SZ 9* Rogue 125msi 70x
TM M1 3w Kuro Kage 80x
Bridgestone j15 cb's w/modus 120x's
Titleist SM6 52,54,60
odyssey big T

[quote name='1163' timestamp='1338410787' post='5002702']

[/quote]

Yes very good feel to it, although for me, it was about 0.5 deg higher than the HD6 with about the same spin. After what I read about the alpha (never tried it myself), I was concerned it might feel a bit too "boardy" but it doesn't even come close.

I just ordered a tour RBZ in 10.5 in reg yesterday. I am currently playing the Adams fast LS12 with Fubuki stiff but chose reg shaft in the rbz because I am bombing that 17 degree rbz 3 wood 230-260 yards with reg shaft when 220 was normal for me. My driver ss 98-100. My driver only goes 10 yards further than 3 wood hence I am trying the rbz driver now. Adams isn't the easiest driver to hit IMHO.

The white head is confusing the older LM. You'd not be able to control an S flex at that swing speed. Some of the newer LM's even get confused (the local GolfSmith's does, they have Vector Pros), have to tape them up (toe, heel, crown) so you'll get halfway accurate #'s.

I own and play an RBZ Tour, it's not increasing my swing speed, and ball speeds are about the same as any other I've tried. It won for this season after trying everything out there because I controlled it better than anything else.

[quote name='RookieBlue7' timestamp='1338475065' post='5004824']
The white head is confusing the older LM. You'd not be able to control an S flex at that swing speed. Some of the newer LM's even get confused (the local GolfSmith's does, they have Vector Pros), have to tape them up (toe, heel, crown) so you'll get halfway accurate #'s.

I own and play an RBZ Tour, it's not increasing my swing speed, and ball speeds are about the same as any other I've tried. It won for this season after trying everything out there because I controlled it better than anything else.
[/quote]

Well so you know my older burner that i was testing had been painted white. So who knows??

Taylormade Sim2 Ti 13.5*

Odyssey 7s Stroke Lab

[i]RBZ Tour 9* with Kai'li 70X is a beast in this thing..have hit drive's longer than anything I have owned. Last drivers with same shafts, were the SFTP 1.0 and the Superdeep, both 9.5* and they were longer than anything previous. Unfortunately, the face cracked on the SFTP and when I called TM, they were kind enough to send the RBZ Tour 9 with the Kai'li(sweet Blue ion finish...love this shaft look) and my grip of choice within 5 days from calling!! Excellent Customer Service![/i]

[i]Love this head shape(i.e. superdeep) and with the Kai'li..the sound isn't so harsh either.[/i]

[i]Let us know how it plays on the course for you![/i]

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9.0 VA Composites Nemesys 65 04
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15 VA Composites Nemesys 75 04
Callaway Mavrik Pro Hybrid 18* Veylix Rome 888 S
Callaway 2019 Apex Pro DOT 4-PW Mits MMT 125 TX/ Vega Mizar Tour Oban CT 115 X
Odyssey WHP #3-Stability Tour, Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5, Toulon Long Island Garage-Stability Shaft
Callaway MD5 Jaws Tour Grey 50/54/58 and  Cobra Tour Versatile 50/54/58 Mitsubishi MMT 125TX Graphite
Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

When I demoed a RBZ Tour 10.5 I had some much better numbers than the other drivers...The RBZ static weight is just below 300 grams...So it is lighter than some other drivers...

How much depends on the individual...if at all

Lower static weight = faster Swing speed.....And there is plenty of data to back that up...Cleveland, Winn, Tom Wishon

I bought it and threw on a Winn lightweight grip...Now my RBZ Tour sits at about 280 grams...

My overall distance on the course has improved as well (which is what I count the most)...I have also hit my longest drives on the course with this driver...Hands down.

It has been a winner for me and my contact is very consistant at dead center of the face

I have the same shaft as you do...Matrix/Ozik 6 stiff

unfortunately, your driver will not show your 3 wood gains.
The driver has been legally stuck at .830. # woods had not reached that--so they will show a gain--you driver probably will not. [quote name='mact3333' timestamp='1338471106' post='5004430']
I just ordered a tour RBZ in 10.5 in reg yesterday. I am currently playing the Adams fast LS12 with Fubuki stiff but chose reg shaft in the rbz because I am bombing that 17 degree rbz 3 wood 230-260 yards with reg shaft when 220 was normal for me. My driver ss 98-100. My driver only goes 10 yards further than 3 wood hence I am trying the rbz driver now. Adams isn't the easiest driver to hit IMHO.
[/quote]

stealth 2 plus, 10.5 Titleist 6x tr blue

Cobra 4 iron 
G425 5 and 7 woods red ventus 90x

Tsi2 3 wood RDX black x

PXG 0311xp 5-gw, 0211 G,SW,LW  Wilson ci11 w/ ctaper 130x

Titleist sm9 s400 56,60
2ball blade
Titleist v1x

(Just had a shoulder replaced and I am buying clubs for my fantasy bag).

i just went in for a fitting, and the RBZ was the winner for me. For the record i am a Tmag hater but i now own a rbz tour 3 wood and 9* tour head coming soon :(. 6mph bs and 11 more total yards with the same dispersion as my i15.

I was amazed that when i missed it on the toe a hair i was still getting 164 mph bs. I cant turn my head to the data..............shoot me lol

My Bag
Callaway Epic SZ 9* Rogue 125msi 70x
TM M1 3w Kuro Kage 80x
Bridgestone j15 cb's w/modus 120x's
Titleist SM6 52,54,60
odyssey big T