What does a counter weight in a putter do?

cmrl1986

Im struggling a bit with the putter and have seen this around. I was just wondering if someone could explain to me what the reasoning is of putting a weight in the top of the putter grip. What's the purpose and what's the goal? Does this get used on tour? What's the science behind it?

Callaway Rogue ST LS ***  Fujikura Rombax Type X
Callaway Rogue ST LS 3wd w/Diamana D+ Whiteboard 70TX
Callaway Rogue ST LS 5wd w/Diamana D+ Whiteboard 80X
Callaway TCB 4-GW w/Project X 6.0
Callaway Jaws RAW 56/60
EvnRoll 5.2 Short Slant

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have one in my backup putter and i believe its main purpose is to help you keep your hands moving with the putter head, as opposed to the putter head moving and your hands remaining stationary. I like mine, but i would have gone with less weight....believe mine is like 70g.

Titleist TSi2 10, Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 6X, 45"

Titleist TSi2 16.5, Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore 7X, 43"

TaylorMade GAPR Mid 4, KBS

Titleist T100S, KBS C-Taper S+ 5-PW

Titleist SM8, 50F, 54S, 60D, TT S400 Custom 

Scotty Cameron Phantom X12, 35", Stability Tour

[url="https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/"]https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/[/url]

Does it make the head feel lighter/heavier in the hands? Does it help with consistency of the stroke?

Callaway Rogue ST LS ***  Fujikura Rombax Type X
Callaway Rogue ST LS 3wd w/Diamana D+ Whiteboard 70TX
Callaway Rogue ST LS 5wd w/Diamana D+ Whiteboard 80X
Callaway TCB 4-GW w/Project X 6.0
Callaway Jaws RAW 56/60
EvnRoll 5.2 Short Slant

[quote name='cmrl1986' timestamp='1338860045' post='5031350']
Does it make the head feel lighter/heavier in the hands? Does it help with consistency of the stroke?
[/quote]

I think it should lower the swing weight a lot meaning that less feel of the head.

there was a putter company that brought these out where they had a lot of weight around the grip but I don't think it really ever took off.

In general, it can stabilize your hand path back and through, without making the face "more difficult" to release. A more stable path can lead to a tighter impact pattern on the face, leading to a more consistent roll.

On the other hand, sometimes a major increase in head weight can help stabilize the path, but also lead to a face that tends to be left open....or throw the putter out of balance and make things worse overall.

The best way to know is to test with impact stickers on the face, while testing different counter weights and head weight, while monitoring roll and distance control.

I think it technically drops the swing weight....BUUUUUT......if you think about it, a putter swings at a far more upright angle then say a driver. Meaning the shaft is almost vertical when in the playing position. Because your hands are darn near directly above the putter head....i think the swing weight change becomes null and void and the putter actually just feels overall heavier. It is certainly worth a shot if you are finding that your hands are not swinging through the ball.....i find the extra weight in the grip sort of drags your hands through impact.

[url="https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/"]https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/[/url]

Counterweights can be anything. There was a post that someone used a carrage bolt with 1 or 2 dozen nuts in wrapped with tape and weighed it to 50 grams. Drop in the shaft and install your grip. Lead powder ports can be ordered from golfworks or golfsmith. Both also sell kits with a grip end cutter that allows a counterweight to be installed with a compression fitting tightened by allen wrench.

Another more obvious and easy way to counter balance the putter without special weights is to buy a really heavy grip. The oversize grips can be in the 100+g range versus a standard grip in the 50-60g range.

I made my own with counterweight lead fishing weights wrapped in grip tape. Wet the tape down with solvent, place them in the shaft and let dry. Once it dries it's not going anywhere until more solvent is added. If you can regrip a club you can save a bit of cash going this way and try it out for yourself for basically the cost of a grip or two. 1 ounce = 28.3 grams or so. I have mine weighted at 112 grams and I am putting night and day better, on long and short putts. It may or may not help you, you just have to try it and figure it out for yourself.

[quote name='cmrl1986' timestamp='1338863291' post='5031660']
Where do I even go to get one and how do I go about the install?
[/quote]

Another good counter weight is a clevis pin that you can get at a hardware store (like 2$), I used one in my putter and a 3" by 1/2" (or maybe 3/8 or 7/16 sorry dont remember for sure) slid perfectly into the end of the shaft. Then put some lead tape around it to add weight if necesarry, or regular tape to pad it. Mine came out to about 70-75 grams. Feels good, and has improved my lag putting. I also added som lead tape to the head to get it back to a point where I could feel the head through the stroke, overall I would guess total weight went up around 100 grams.

This is definatly something worth playing with, you need to experiment until you get a feel you like.

• 1 year later...

[quote name='snook...' timestamp='1338861719' post='5031512']
Made mine feel heavier overall.....swingweight of course changed if you put it on a scale....however it doesn't feel like that in the hands....putter feels heavier than before...70g in mine...ping anser 4. Maybe it's because the weight is right above the hands and gravity ....hell I dont know....feels heavier
[/quote]

I think counterbalance worksmbest if you have a good head weight. I Mage my bettinardi studio stock 9 in one. It works cause the head in 355grams, you ping is much light and adding that much counter weight may not work. I have it at 37" with a 110g 17" iomic putter grip and its sweet.

If you look at taylormades be spider lade counter balanced putter. It's 38" with a 130g 15" grip and a 350g head. I tried it in the store and I was sold. I am switching from a belly putter after 3 season.

I also think people coming off a belly putter may have the best transition where vice versa will longer.

- Driver: Callaway Ai Smoke - Graphic Design Tour AD UB

- 3 Wood: Callaway Ai Smoke  - Graphic Design Tour AD UB

- 17deg Hybrid: Ping G425 - OBAN Kiyoshi White

- 21deg Hybrid: Tour Edge C723 - OBAN Kiyoshi Purple

- Irons: Srixon ZX5 MKII 5-AW - Accra iSteel Shafts

- Wedges: Vokey SM9 54 & 58deg - Accra iSteel Wedge Shafts

- Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom 9.5 (2022)

- Ball: Taylormade TP5

One way to quickly experiment and see what difference it makes is to tape/hold something parallel to the grip and hit some putts. Obviously its not going to be as comfortable, but it will let you see the difference in feel. I tried holding a butter knife (~80g) along the grip and that made a difference that was very easy to feel. For me it made it easier to freely swing the putter without losing stability in the stroke.

Rogue ST Max LS 9, HZRDUS Black 75 6.0 | Mavrik SZ 15, Evenflow White 75 6.0

P790 UDI, HZRDUS Smoke 90 6.0 | X-Blade 909 4-P, Pro 95i Tour S

Miura 54 Tour, 60K, Modus3 125 W | BB8 DASS

I went to Home Depot and purchased a 3/8ths carriage bolt and a box of nuts.

Added the nuts I wanted to get to 100 grams, Double sided tape to secure it in the shaft, Put a grip over top of it and tried it out.

I do think it takes the smaller muscles out of the stroke. You feel the weight in your hands more, it seems counter to what you might think, but it put the shoulders back in my stroke.

It worked great. Cost me about 5 bucks plus the new grip I was putting on anyways. And a 3/8ths carriage bolt sits perfectly flush at the top.

[quote name='Chicago Mac' timestamp='1371785878' post='7294946']
What's the difference between counter weight and face balanced? Can doing the above counter balance to a 'toe hang' putter make it more like a face balanced? Thanks, Mac
[/quote]

I recently switch from putter made for Arc stroke (toe hang) to Straight stroke (face balanced).
Have an old Arc stroke (toe hang) putter really like, so my question is....By adding weigh to grip (counter balance) will this putter be/perform more like a Straight stroke/face balanced? Thanks, Mac

[quote name='cmrl1986' timestamp='1338859435' post='5031278']
Im struggling a bit with the putter and have seen this around. I was just wondering if someone could explain to me what the reasoning is of putting a weight in the top of the putter grip. What's the purpose and what's the goal? Does this get used on tour? What's the science behind it?
[/quote]

We've done a lot of research in this area of putter counterweights from both a why and how basis.

The putting stroke is an action in the game that requires the most precise neuro-muscular control. Golfers who putt very consistently almost always have better fine motor control in their neuro-muscular make up than golfers who putt inconsistently. The reason the right amount of weight in the grip end of the putter helps improve putting for many golfers is because by putting a substantial amount of weight in the hands, it has the effect of calming down the putting stroke. In general golfers with poor fine motor control find that the added weight in their hands allows them to gain more control with their putting stroke.

I'll give you an example in another area related to fine motor control to help you understand this perhaps a little better. Let's say someone gives you a very light and thin stick that is say 3 feet long and they tell you to reach out with the stick and move a light switch on the wall either on or off. People with very fine motor control will be able to do that FAR easier than people with poor fine motor control. With people with poor fine motor control the stick will move around and shake and they will have a hard time pinpointing the end of the stick on the end of the light switch to then move the switch up or down. But if you give this person a much heavier stick, they have a little easier time keeping the stick calm to move the switch up or down. Similar analogy to having substantially more weight in the grip to help calm down the putting stroke so it is more consistent.

In all our work in this area we find that in the area of 80% of all golfers who suffer from one or more of the following, 1) poor distance control with the putter; 2) a high percentage of pulled or pushed putts; 3) a high percentage of off center hit putts; will improve with a significant counterweight put in the very end of the shaft. Most typical is using an 80g counter weight in the end of the putter shaft, but of course this is a custom thing so we've seen some improve at 60g and others at 100g.

Without question these Super Stroke type grips can help to calm down the putting stroke and allow it to be more consistent - they tend to allow that in a combination of adding more weight in the golfer's hands with keeping the hand, wrist and forearm muscles less contracted or contracted less tightly. So that too is an option for golfers who suffer from poor distance control, pulling/pushing putts and off center hit putts.

But the advantage of the counter weight is that, 1) you can put more weight in the end of the shaft to potentially allow more golfers with poor fine motor control to calm down the stroke, 2) you can use the counterweights with any size/shape putter grip that happens to be comfortable to you and your hand feel on the putter. And of course the counterweights can be used with any of these Super Stroke large grips too if desired.

That's the why and how of counterweights in the putter as we know it from our work in this area,

TOM

[quote name='TomWishon' timestamp='1371827276' post='7297288']
[quote name='cmrl1986' timestamp='1338859435' post='5031278']
[/quote]

We've done a lot of research in this area of putter counterweights from both a why and how basis.

The putting stroke is an action in the game that requires the most precise neuro-muscular control. Golfers who putt very consistently almost always have better fine motor control in their neuro-muscular make up than golfers who putt inconsistently. The reason the right amount of weight in the grip end of the putter helps improve putting for many golfers is because by putting a substantial amount of weight in the hands, it has the effect of calming down the putting stroke. In general golfers with poor fine motor control find that the added weight in their hands allows them to gain more control with their putting stroke.

I'll give you an example in another area related to fine motor control to help you understand this perhaps a little better. Let's say someone gives you a very light and thin stick that is say 3 feet long and they tell you to reach out with the stick and move a light switch on the wall either on or off. People with very fine motor control will be able to do that FAR easier than people with poor fine motor control. With people with poor fine motor control the stick will move around and shake and they will have a hard time pinpointing the end of the stick on the end of the light switch to then move the switch up or down. But if you give this person a much heavier stick, they have a little easier time keeping the stick calm to move the switch up or down. Similar analogy to having substantially more weight in the grip to help calm down the putting stroke so it is more consistent.

In all our work in this area we find that in the area of 80% of all golfers who suffer from one or more of the following, 1) poor distance control with the putter; 2) a high percentage of pulled or pushed putts; 3) a high percentage of off center hit putts; will improve with a significant counterweight put in the very end of the shaft. Most typical is using an 80g counter weight in the end of the putter shaft, but of course this is a custom thing so we've seen some improve at 60g and others at 100g.

Without question these Super Stroke type grips can help to calm down the putting stroke and allow it to be more consistent - they tend to allow that in a combination of adding more weight in the golfer's hands with keeping the hand, wrist and forearm muscles less contracted or contracted less tightly. So that too is an option for golfers who suffer from poor distance control, pulling/pushing putts and off center hit putts.

But the advantage of the counter weight is that, 1) you can put more weight in the end of the shaft to potentially allow more golfers with poor fine motor control to calm down the stroke, 2) you can use the counterweights with any size/shape putter grip that happens to be comfortable to you and your hand feel on the putter. And of course the counterweights can be used with any of these Super Stroke large grips too if desired.

That's the why and how of counterweights in the putter as we know it from our work in this area,

TOM
[/quote]

Thanks Tom!

Another great post, I always look forward to reading them. :)

I just added a 80 gram weight to my odyssey saber tooth 33" putter with a super stroke 65 gram slim grip. I used a 3" X 1/2" [color=#282828]clevis pin with wiring shrink wrap on It, so it fits nice and snug in the butt of the club. I will give it a try tomorrow when the weather improves.[/color]
[color=#282828]One quick question: Should I add 2 or 3 extra inches to the butt to help with the counter balancing?[/color]

[color=#282828]Thanks for any info you can provide![/color]

I use the world's cheapest putter, an Accupath model 7, with a fat Karma super jumbo grip. I've built the setup three times just to get the length right, and now I've got it dialed in. For a counterweight I took a copper NPT fitting to a grinder to make it round, then soldered it into the butt end of the shaft. The weight comes in at a mere 30g and it has helped my distance tremendously... the added grip-end weight makes me instinctively hit with my shoulders, further reducing the influence of my wrists on a putt shot.

Small adjustments can be made by drilling into the counterweight through the hole in the end of the putter grip, making it easy to reduce weight. Another method of fine-tuning a counterweight would be to make a stop two inches down the shaft, and put in or remove buckshot until the desired effect is achieved.

• 1 year later...