2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Funny: More Camerons at top amateur events as % than PGA Tour

Raden44

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='goinlow254' timestamp='1340366404' post='5147842']
I'm a +1.4... and I roll a SC Fastback #1 because I like it. I paid 170 for it. Does this mean I'm dying to get street cred? Do I need to go buy a new TM Ghost so I won't "be like everyone else". I don't want to be grouped with people like that. I have an all Titleist bag from the top down, I should probably buy new stuff so the OP won't think I'm a bandwaggoner.
[/quote]

You ARE a bandwaggoner (at best), or more likely a Titleist staffer wanna-be. Did you really try many different clubs objectively and find that Titleist made the best one in every type of club? Do you also wear Footjoy shoes?

[quote name='pssywgn' timestamp='1340368407' post='5147938']
Ummm, I don't watch much Golfchannel. So I've never seen a Scotty Cameron tv commercial. On normal tv channels, during golf coverage, I have seen a ton of Titleist ball ads and Odyssey putter ads. And Ping I/G20 driver ads.

Amateurs are NOT paid or contracted into specific equipment. Pros are. Not saying that if that didn't exist for certain players, they would jump back to a Scotty. But just sayin, it does make a difference. If somebody paid me to play a Bridgestone ball instead of my loved prov1x, I'd do it.

Also, my Odyssey #1 cost me $135 new. I hated the grip, the shaft was too light and cheap, and the overall build quality of it was what I would consider what you get for a $100 putter.

Maybe the pro's Odysseys are better. Also, that insert is made out of similar material as a golf ball cover to get their "true roll" off the face. That crap is just as scuff prone as a normal golf ball. Don't ever putt on a green that has been seeded and sanded and try to wipe off one of those with any lack of care, you're going to scratch the crap out of the face.

An Odyssey isn't a 'bad' putter. But it hits the $135 dollar, 35 handicapper price point. Because anybody not serious about their game, probably won't even spend that on a putter. But they'll go buy a new $500 driver.

But for $135, you get a $135 putter. Which is something that looks and feels (to me) like it lies exactly in between a $500 Cameron or Bertidini (spelling), and a $15 Walmart putter.
[/quote]

An Odyssey "hits the $135 dollar, 35 handicapper price point"? Seriously? There are a ton of pros who use Odyssey. There is nothing wrong with a $135 putter. Kenny Perry and Webb Simpson have used the $120 Ping Craz-E to win tens of millions, but that kind of putter is not good enough for you? Jim Furyk used a $120 Yes Putter to win the Fedex Cup, but you're saying that's somewhere between a Cameron and a Walmart putter?

[quote name='shootermcgavin2' timestamp='1340374290' post='5148388']
ok i almost feel dumber for having read this.......but after all the back and forth i must ask, what the hell again was your actual point raden? what were you getting at? are you knocking scotty? are you knocking top amateurs as being a bunch of blind followers? or are you knocking the kids local to you for being that way?
[/quote]

I am saying if all those top amateurs really tested multiple brands of putters objectively based just on performance, feel, look, etc. WITHOUT being biased by the cache, status symbol/brand appeal of Cameron, there is NO WAY there would be such a high % of them carrying Camerons.

[quote]I am saying if all those top amateurs really tested multiple brands of putters objectively based just on performance, feel, look, etc. WITHOUT being biased by the cache, status symbol/brand appeal of Cameron, there is NO WAY there would be such a high % of them carrying Camerons.
[/quote]

You're [i]probably[/i] right, at least for a certain % of them. Is that what you're looking for? Let's all agree that Raden is [i]probably[/i] right, to an extent. As is [i]probably[/i] the same for Titleist ProV1s, Taylormade drivers, and whatever the FotM irons are out. Now go and make a thread for those criteria, and when all is said and done, you can go to sleep knowing that you're [i]probably[/i] right.

[quote name='Raden44' timestamp='1340485631' post='5155182']
ok i almost feel dumber for having read this.......but after all the back and forth i must ask, what the hell again was your actual point raden? what were you getting at? are you knocking scotty? are you knocking top amateurs as being a bunch of blind followers? or are you knocking the kids local to you for being that way?
[/quote]

I am saying if all those top amateurs really tested multiple brands of putters objectively based just on performance, feel, look, etc. WITHOUT being biased by the cache, status symbol/brand appeal of Cameron, there is NO WAY there would be such a high % of them carrying Camerons.
[/quote]

Or maybe they did do that and you just don't like Scotty Cameron's.

This thread is absolutely ridiculous. I didn't waste my time reading every post, but I skimmed enough of them to get the gist. Top junior or amateur players use what they feel gives them the best chance to win. Period. The MSRP of clubs means NOTHING. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to top players. They focus on their game, which is exactly why they are so good. Which is why they don't have to pay much, if anything at all (more likely the case) to use the best of the best. The second people bring up the price of things as a point to their argument, their opinion goes out the door IMO. Use what you like and stay within your budget. People's tastes, preferences, and bankrolls differ. Simple.

[/quote]

[/quote]

kids that are as good as the top Am's are don't just go out and play with a particular club because its "stylish" or because they were "brainwashed" into it, they are going to use what works for them, what fits their eye, and what makes them feel confident and comfortable over a shot, no matter which club it is....those kids know their game and what works for it better than anyone else does, so whatever is in the bag is in there because it works...

[/quote]

[b]I am saying if all those top amateurs really tested multiple brands of putters objectively[/b] based just on performance, feel, look, etc. WITHOUT being biased by the cache, status symbol/brand appeal of Cameron, [b]there is NO WAY [/b]there would be such a high % of them carrying Camerons.
[/quote]

how do you know they DON'T?

and really? NO WAY??? once again, how do you know this.

you keep throwing out %s, when are you going to impart upon us some actual #s, that you didn't just pull from your arse.

[quote name='Fourmyle of Ceres' timestamp='1340363665' post='5147736']
Cameron don't make putters that suit my stroke so I am no fan. But forget about the top amateurs or Tour pros, I see plenty of hackers at my club putting with Scotty Cameron putters. Here's the deal, they are the most widely available "premium" putter out there. And everyone has seen the guys playing on TV with them. How could they not be extremely popular where ever you look?

Internet equipment geeks aside, nobody can name 14 top-quality custom putter makers off the top of their head. In fact they couldn't name five if you gave them a month to think about it. Maybe one golfer in twenty has ever seen a Bettinardi putter in person and only one in ten even knows the name. T.P. Mills? Most people think that was a Spalding house brand back in the day if they've even heard the name at all.

Yet walk into any big box golf store in the country and you'll see a dozen or more Cameron putters. They will be the most expensive putter in the store, most times. You'll see a couple of them in the majority of "green grass" pro shops as well. If someone has $350 burning a hole in their pocket for "A Really Nice Putter" they are going to think Cameron, see Cameron, buy Cameron, play Cameron.

Not much mystery there. And they make a fine putter so it isn't like they're getting ripped off for the money.
[/quote]

The PGA Superstore in Kennesaw has more Bettinardis on their putter display than Camerons. The Bettinardi putters are also $50 more than the Scottys.

[quote name='RookieBlue7' timestamp='1340637431' post='5163474']
Cameron don't make putters that suit my stroke so I am no fan. But forget about the top amateurs or Tour pros, I see plenty of hackers at my club putting with Scotty Cameron putters. Here's the deal, they are the most widely available "premium" putter out there. And everyone has seen the guys playing on TV with them. How could they not be extremely popular where ever you look?

Internet equipment geeks aside, nobody can name 14 top-quality custom putter makers off the top of their head. In fact they couldn't name five if you gave them a month to think about it. Maybe one golfer in twenty has ever seen a Bettinardi putter in person and only one in ten even knows the name. T.P. Mills? Most people think that was a Spalding house brand back in the day if they've even heard the name at all.

Yet walk into any big box golf store in the country and you'll see a dozen or more Cameron putters. They will be the most expensive putter in the store, most times. You'll see a couple of them in the majority of "green grass" pro shops as well. If someone has $350 burning a hole in their pocket for "A Really Nice Putter" they are going to think Cameron, see Cameron, buy Cameron, play Cameron.

Not much mystery there. And they make a fine putter so it isn't like they're getting ripped off for the money.
[/quote]

The PGA Superstore in Kennesaw has more Bettinardis on their putter display than Camerons. The Bettinardi putters are also $50 more than the Scottys.
[/quote]

i've never understood why people think bettinardis are so boutique and unknown. they've had contracts with mizuno and hogan (when hogan was big) and have been making their own line for over 10 years. i agree it's not cameron or odyssey, but i feel like they're more out there than some of the other OEM's putter lines....e.g., cleveland....

[quote name='hebron1427' timestamp='1340637642' post='5163508']

[/quote]

[/quote]

i've never understood why people think bettinardis are so boutique and unknown. they've had contracts with mizuno and hogan (when hogan was big) and have been making their own line for over 10 years. i agree it's not cameron or odyssey, but i feel like they're more out there than some of the other OEM's putter lines....e.g., cleveland....
[/quote]
I've also never seen anyone, besides myself, in the store actually looking at them or trying them out.

[/quote]

i was just in there this past thursday and it's about the same #...bettinardi however does not have the case that scotty does that i usually see at all the pga tour superstores nor are they $50 more than the new lineup (i think the queen b is close).

[/quote]

i'm in that store quite a bit and most of the time they have an equal amt of camerons and betti's, but it is the cameron's that have their special display case. as for the pricing the only betti i recall seeing being more expensive than a scotty are the queen b's, unless you're talking about the last gen scotty's...

It is all marketing. Why do you think companies like Gatorade, McDonalds, Nike, Red Bull, etc. hire the best athletes in the world to endorse their products. It's because people see them using that product and want to do the same. It's the same situation with Scotty. He has Rory, Tiger (used to), Fowler, etc all using his putters. Those are the guys young kids look up to and want to emulate. The first way to do that is to use the gear they have.You must not have been a marketing student in college.

[quote name='Fourmyle of Ceres' timestamp='1340644973' post='5164296']
Boy, not doubting what you saw but how many ever Bettinardis were in that store is exactly that many more than I've ever seen for sale. Other than the "for Hogan" or "for Mizuno" ones a few years back I've only seen then online.
[/quote]

Unless used, Bettinardis aren't sold at big retail stores, usually just select club houses or online.

[quote name='Undaunted' timestamp='1340803846' post='5176664']
[quote name='Fourmyle of Ceres' timestamp='1340644973' post='5164296']
Boy, not doubting what you saw but how many ever Bettinardis were in that store is exactly that many more than I've ever seen for sale. Other than the "for Hogan" or "for Mizuno" ones a few years back I've only seen then online.
[/quote]

Unless used, Bettinardis aren't sold at big retail stores, usually just select club houses or online.
[/quote]

what? every pga tour superstore in my area has betti's on hand...

[quote name='shootermcgavin2' timestamp='1340806769' post='5176988'] [quote name='Undaunted' timestamp='1340803846' post='5176664'] [quote name='Fourmyle of Ceres' timestamp='1340644973' post='5164296'] Boy, not doubting what you saw but how many ever Bettinardis were in that store is exactly that many more than I've ever seen for sale. Other than the "for Hogan" or "for Mizuno" ones a few years back I've only seen then online. [/quote] Unless used, Bettinardis aren't sold at big retail stores, usually just select club houses or online. [/quote] what? every pga tour superstore in my area has betti's on hand... [/quote]

This is accurate. I was in the Kennesaw store last week and they have a lot more Bettis than Camerons. Also, a local shop near me in Bham (Inverness Golf & Repair) carries many Bettis.

If they are the top amateurs then obviously they know what they're doing. It's not like they are playing badly. Who cares what putter they want to use. If they want to putt badly then it's their choice. I don't understand the constant need to bash Cameron. He sells a product that is immensely popular. Whats even better is that if you don't like Scotty or his putters, there are plenty others for you to choose from.

Titleist TS3 9.5* w/ Diamana DF 60X
Titleist TS3 15* w/ Diamana ZF 70X
Titleist 913h 19* w/ Tensei Pro Blue
Titleist T100s 4-P w/ C-Taper Lite X
Titleist Vokey Raw 48, 54, 60 w/ S400
Scotty Cameron Tour Rat