2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Funny: More Camerons at top amateur events as % than PGA Tour

Raden44

[quote name='Raden44' timestamp='1340484852' post='5155134']
[quote name='goinlow254' timestamp='1340366404' post='5147842']
I'm a +1.4... and I roll a SC Fastback #1 because I like it. I paid 170 for it. Does this mean I'm dying to get street cred? Do I need to go buy a new TM Ghost so I won't "be like everyone else". I don't want to be grouped with people like that. I have an all Titleist bag from the top down, I should probably buy new stuff so the OP won't think I'm a bandwaggoner.
[/quote]

You ARE a bandwaggoner (at best), or more likely a Titleist staffer wanna-be. Did you really try many different clubs objectively and find that Titleist made the best one in every type of club? Do you also wear Footjoy shoes?
[/quote]
You've been bashed pretty bad in this thread, to the point I kind of felt bad for you, and I can understand wanting to lash out a bit, but this is ridiculous.
Most people have some brand loyalties.
When you're comparing high end golf equipment today, so much of it is so close in quality that you can't really go wrong choosing between them. If you have a few Titleist products in play already and you're looking at buying a new driver for instance, if you like the Titleist driver and the other stuff you've tested is pretty similar, why wouldn't you fill out a bag with the same brand?
Do you really think that Titleist can't compete for every spot in your bag at that level?

Callaway RAZR Fit 9.5
Titleist 909F3 15.5
Nike VR-S Covert Tour #3
Mizuno MP-59
Miura Black Wedge Series 52,56,60
Bettinardi Kuchar Model 2

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I knew this posting on a website with so many Cameron/Titleist diehards would be like arguing for gun control in an NRA convention. Several of the guys on this thread even have Cameron or Titleist in their member image.

I would just ask about one of the commenters who says he has Titleist throughout his entire bag, was he (A) completely objective in trying many makes of clubs and just happened to decide on Titleist for every club or (B) at least somewhat affected by the Titleist marketing machine and wanting to be like some pros?

Once again, I am not bashing Cameron, as I said he makes very good putters and he has built a tremendous brand. I am bashing the people who think Cameron is the only one that can produce a worthy putter.

[quote name='hebron1427' timestamp='1340845810' post='5180772']
this thread needs to die
[/quote]

Yes, absolutely. Clearly the OP was wanting everyone to agree with him but when 90% disagreed he got offensive. OP, how about you pick your clubs how you want and let those that can play circles around you do it their way? Evidently to be the best in the world they are picking their equipment just fine.

[quote name='avgjoe' timestamp='1340853472' post='5181632']
who thinks Cameron is the only one that can produce a worthy putter???
[/quote]
Apparently most top amateurs..........and everyone who disagrees with the op.

Callaway RAZR Fit 9.5
Titleist 909F3 15.5
Nike VR-S Covert Tour #3
Mizuno MP-59

[quote name='Raden44' timestamp='1340340536' post='5146920']
[quote name='Thrillhouse' timestamp='1340340042' post='5146894']
Yup, the best amateurs in the world who can play with any putter they want are only using Scotty's because the cool kids are doing it.
[/quote]

No, these "best amateurs in the world" use Scotty's because they see pros doing it. Plus, they're brainwashed by commercials and they feel like unless they spend at least $300 on their putter, they might be using an inferior club
[/quote]

I've never seen a Scotty Cameron commercial.

[quote name='Fourmyle of Ceres' timestamp='1340884069' post='5182538']
I dunno. I can only use one putter. Just because I use a [fill in the blank] hardly means I think every other putter in the world is poo. It's just the one I like best.
[/quote]

Well, you could walk around the course with 14 putters in your bag but it would take a long time to play and you would look like a bit of a goof ;)

I went out intending to buy an Odyssey putter and ended up with a year old mint Cameron Del Mar for 175.00 at my local store. Why? Because it rolled better than the other 3-4 putters I tried over the couple days I was looking and wasn't much more. Would I have tried a Bettinardi? Sure, except nowhere local has them and I will not buy a club that I cannot hit first...

[quote name='Raden44' timestamp='1340845588' post='5180750']
I knew this posting on a website with so many Cameron/Titleist diehards would be like arguing for gun control in an NRA convention. Several of the guys on this thread even have Cameron or Titleist in their member image.

I would just ask about one of the commenters who says he has Titleist throughout his entire bag, was he (A) completely objective in trying many makes of clubs and just happened to decide on Titleist for every club or (B) at least somewhat affected by the Titleist marketing machine and wanting to be like some pros?

Once again, I am not bashing Cameron, as I said he makes very good putters and he has built a tremendous brand. I am bashing the people who think Cameron is the only one that can produce a worthy putter.
[/quote]

And I though the most of the members were TM diehards...

[b]I knew this posting on a website with so many Cameron/Titleist diehards would be like arguing for gun control in an NRA convention.[/b] Several of the guys on this thread even have Cameron or Titleist in their member image.

[/quote]

so why'd you make this post again?

and really, why does it matter what ppl at any level putt with and play with? how do those supposed %s (that you can't seem to furnish) impact you as a player?

and your thread starts with FUNNY. 4 pgs later and i'm still not finding the humor....

This is possibly the worst OP ever. The argument is seriously that the players who ARENT getting paid are playing Scottys so they must be suckers and only the pros who are getting paid to use things are a good example of what is best? *head explodes* Then the argument beyond that is that these amateur players must be brainwashed by the lower number of pro players playing them (but NOT by the much higher marketing spend from TM!)

People will grasp at straws soooo hard to try to make whatever point angrily popped into their head. Too bad they dont let logic get involved.

oh cool, the OP has now moved on to calling people idiot shills and accusing them of making claims they never did. Feels like its about time for a ban...

That's not bannable.
He made a poorly thought out post, the premise was picked apart and destroyed by The Thrill, he got defensive, claimed he was misunderstood and lashed out.

Callaway RAZR Fit 9.5
Titleist 909F3 15.5
Nike VR-S Covert Tour #3
Mizuno MP-59

IMO Players that are sensative to how a putter sounds and feels usually go with a one-piece carbon/stainless steel putter and Scotty Cameron just happens to be the expert in that area.

Also, people that are sensative about how their car feels/handles usually go with a Porsche. Same concept...

915D2 9.5deg, Rogue Silver 70S
915F 15deg, Rogue Blk 70S
18deg, 24deg AdamsPro Gold Boxer Altus S
Vapor Pro Combos 5-PW PXi 6.0s
56deg, 60deg Scratch 1018 Forged DD
Cameron Select Newport 1.5

Life is too short to read this entire thread so maybe someone already said it but... It's definitely a bit of both: Some use Cameron's because they like them best and of course some use them because it's cool to have a custom Cameron like the pro's. Doesn't hurt that those ams in the latter category will also be using a quality putter.

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-), Alta CB S
PING G430 hybrid 22° (F-), Alta CB S
PING i530 5-U, DG Mid 115 S300
PING s159 54°-W (bent 52°), 58°-B, DG Mid 115 S300
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

Go over to the Puttertalk forum and you'll find plenty of folks who firmly believe that there are plenty of truly "quality putters" on the market and that the putters Scotty Cameron sells are nothing of the sort. Not saying I believe them, just saying there are places where the Cool Kids wouldn't be caught dead with something that says Cameron on it.

[quote name='Fourmyle of Ceres' timestamp='1341237620' post='5203464']
Go over to the Puttertalk forum and you'll find plenty of folks who firmly believe that there are plenty of truly "quality putters" on the market and that the putters Scotty Cameron sells are nothing of the sort. Not saying I believe them, just saying there are places where the Cool Kids wouldn't be caught dead with something that says Cameron on it.
[/quote]

no one at PT is "cool."

[quote name='Thrillhouse' timestamp='1341205497' post='5202338']
[quote name='hebron1427' timestamp='1341201017' post='5202032']
oh god. just let it die!
[/quote]

Why? Sensative people drive porches. I learned this today.
[/quote]

this thread is full of fail, but i'm glad you're turning the lemons into lemonade thrill.

[b]I would just ask about one of the commenters who says he has Titleist throughout his entire bag, was he (A) completely objective in trying many makes of clubs and just happened to decide on Titleist for every club or (B) at least somewhat affected by the Titleist marketing machine and wanting to be like some pros?[/b]

[/quote]

I'll answer the bit in bold for you, as I have 13/14 Titliest clubs in my bag.
1. I got fit for the AP2 irons as Titleist had the only fitting cart within a driving distance of my old city. I asked the fitter what wedges I should have gone with, and he said that I shouldn't consider anything other than Vokey wedges. At this time, I was looking to replace my beginner set with some good clubs. I went with the AP2s 4-PW and 2 Vokeys, as I already had a Ping 3i.
2. About half a year later I looked into replacing the crappy woods in my beginner set with some proper one. I went to the Titleist demo day, which was the first one of the year at my club and got fit for a driver, 3 wood and hybrid. This was in April, and I would have had to wait until June, at a time when I wasn't even in the country, for a TM or Ping demo day.
At this point, 12/14 of my clubs were Titleist, not really out of choice, but more out of necessity.
3. Scotty Cameron - the focal point of this thread. I got my SC Newport 2 as a gift from my friends for my 17th birthday. I liked the head shape better than my Sabertooth, and have been going back and forth between the two.

Regarding point (A). I can tell you this. I demoed all the 3 woods I could try at our equipment show in March (RAZR Fit, 910F, Cleveland Launcher FL, Ping i20), and the 910F came out on top. Not because of my brand loyalty, but rather because it performed the best. I couldn't care less what brand my clubs are, if they look good (every Titleist club looks perfect at adress) and they perform, they have a great chance of being in my bag.

[quote name='Fourmyle of Ceres' timestamp='1341261692' post='5205962']
I'm sure the Cool Kids at my high school back in the dark ages weren't actually "cool". But you'd never have convinced them of that. Same for Puttertalk, same for Scotty fanboys, same everywhere.
[/quote]

truer words have not been written....espcially not in this thread....

[quote name='Thrillhouse' timestamp='1340344565' post='5147196']
[quote name='Raden44' timestamp='1340343947' post='5147158']

You missed the entire point. It's not that top amateurs have to pay $300 for putters, although I would say many of them feel like they have to use a $300+ putter. I didn't mention anything about Odyssey prototypes or custom Bettinardis. Try reading my original post again or read "Coozapalooza" or "nmanoles3" posts in this thread.
[/quote]

Ive read your posts several times. You said top amateurs are paying $300 for their putters because they have been brainwashed by commercials and tour usage. You said the only players using Scotty's on tour are titleist staffers.

Now that I have disproven all those points as these am's don't pay for their clubs, there are no Scotty Cameron commercials, and tons of non staffers use Scotty Cameron's as well you want to change the subject from this being a failed Scotty Cameron hate thread to a "other putters are just as good" thread.

You're right, other putters are just as good, but that isn't the thread you started. You started a thread criticizing top amateurs for using Scotty Cameron's when you didn't have your facts straight.
[/quote]

Completely agreed. Great points