2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Thanks to all golfers that turn things in!

pencilwhipper

Left my wallet on 10th tee once, it got turned in totally intact at the pro shop. Lost it again on another course, not sure where. Again, in the pro shop, intact.

Other hand, I picked up a smart phone in the rough next to the cart path. Caught up with the group in front and asked if anyone lost a cell phone. Wife asks husband if he has his phone. He says no in a complete panic. I walk over and hand it to him. Wife says his life and business is on that phone. That felt good.

Valhalla, I am coming!
Drums beating, cold English blood
runs hot.
they just can't kill the beast

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree 100%, turn stuff in. My first time out I left a wedge by the green and didn't realize it for a few days. Fortunately it was turned in.

That said, I wonder what happens to the stuff if nobady claims it. I do think that if no one comes for it in a reasonable amount of time (say, 60 days), it should become mine rather than some random guy in the pro shop.

Sto Pro Veritate

My wedge disappeared once so I went to the group behind and asked if they had found anything. The guy looks me in the eyes and says no, and as soon as his friend sees me eyeing his bag, he says "yeah you did, remember..." I just pulled it out of his bag and walked away (and possibly muttered a few choice words as I walked away).

Another time I lost my phone in Santa Barbara (like 2 hours from LA), and a college kid went into it and called my friend to let him know that he had found it. I drove back a couple of days later and brought him a case of beer (upon typing this, it just occurred to me that he probably wasn't 21 yet, but oh well).

I also found a wallet in the street outside of a bar one night, with cash, gift cards, credit cards etc. I just mailed it back with no return address.

One thing I've learned about finding clubs though, is not to put them in your bag. Not that ill forget to return them, but if the guy comes looking for it, ill look like a total thief if its in my bag.

I also got paired up with a guy once who found a pair of sunglasses...he picked them up and said "ooh, Fossil. These are expensive.." (his words, not mine lol). I asked if he was gonna return them, and he was like "I don't know" as he put them on.

Ping G25 w/ RIP Phenom
Adams Super LS Hybrid 17*
Adams SS Super Hybrid 19*
i20 4-UW
Taylormade TM-110
Cleveland CG14 56 & 60

The only clubs I find that I will not turn in are the 2 piece variety. If someone lost control enough to break it half, or wrap it around a tree tells me they are not going to want it back.

At the start of the next season our local course will sell all of the unclaimed clubs at $5 apiece & the proceeds go to the local high school golf teams, (boys & girls). Yes I have purchased many of these & turn around to sell them on eBay. One golf buddy is LH & now uses a Vokey 52 that I got for him last year.

If this makes me an evil person-----Alfred E. Neuman----"What, me worry?".

[quote name='patrick421' timestamp='1383622059' post='8103250']
[quote name='TheGeekGolfer' timestamp='1383606146' post='8101858']
If it's 'non golf related' and under $100, then (from the informal poll of my playing buddies) the Golf Gods don't care, so it's fair game.
[/quote]

You are a scumbag if you keep anything you find on the course regardless of the price, it's about the principle. If you didn't pay for it, it's not yours so turn it in.
[/quote]Wow...did you skip breakfast? If you lose something on the course, perhaps next time you'll value it more and keep track of it. If I lose something on the golf course and don't find it turned in, then I'm OK with that. You know why? Because I would've lost it and that's ON ME. It's NOT someone else's fault for 'not turning it in and being a scumbag'.

I've lost numerous headcovers, towels... etc at the same course and have yet to get anything back. Most of the lost stuff goes straight to the lost and found box in maintenance, never to be seen from again. Apparently, Its too much bother for the proshop crew to even keep returned items out for a few days. Most of the towels and gloves just get thrown out unless they're brand new.

Last year I lost a fairly distinctive Yes putter cover, doubtful if anyone would ever steal it. I phoned the proshop a few times over the next few weeks and of course nothing turned up. A month later I checked the lost and found box and sure enough there must have been 15 Yes putter covers in it.

Bag Setup - changes too often to bother listing

[quote name='TheGeekGolfer' timestamp='1383683952' post='8106186']
If it's 'non golf related' and under $100, then (from the informal poll of my playing buddies) the Golf Gods don't care, so it's fair game.
[/quote]

You are a scumbag if you keep anything you find on the course regardless of the price, it's about the principle. If you didn't pay for it, it's not yours so turn it in.
[/quote]Wow...did you skip breakfast? If you lose something on the course, perhaps next time you'll value it more and keep track of it. If I lose something on the golf course and don't find it turned in, then I'm OK with that. You know why? Because I would've lost it and that's ON ME. It's NOT someone else's fault for 'not turning it in and being a scumbag'.
[/quote]

This is ridiculous. There is a big difference in making a mistake, and being negligent. You probably also cheat at golf too because your opponent is at fault for not catching you.

Ping G25 w/ RIP Phenom
i20 4-UW
Taylormade TM-110
Cleveland CG14 56 & 60

Found a Pinseeker 1600 slope edition stapped to a cart that I ended up getting from the cart barn this year.
Its so easy for me to turn in something like that, as I know how crushed I would feel if I lost my rangefinder, etc. Plus, well, there is karma too, and I ain't pushing my luck in that department! LOL!

Anyone who can think up a reason, any reason, that justifies keeping something he finds on the golf course that rightfully belongs to someone else, will keep your wallet if he finds it laying on the park bench. In both instances, that person is a thief.
There seem to be a lot of thieves on our golf courses. You wouldn't believe the number of guys who come to me looking to replace irons, putters and GPS' they've left behind, that have never been turned in to the pro shop. A good wedge here costs $129.99 or so. Putters too. A decent Garmin? $350.

R11S 8* square; Stock stiff
Maltby KE4 14* 3w , Axe Excaliber R flex tipped 1"
RBZ 25* hb; RBZstage 2 19* hb
Mizuno MP30 5 - PW, AXE Excaliber stiff, Hogan Apex PC E Wedge (50*) TT DG s300
GM Never Compromise GM2 putter
54*, 58* TM TP wedges 3* flat

[quote name='RJRJRJ' timestamp='1383688754' post='8106588']
[/quote]

[/quote]

This is ridiculous. There is a big difference in making a mistake, and being negligent. You probably also cheat at golf too because your opponent is at fault for not catching you.
[/quote]Nope, I don't cheat, play very much by the rules. I'm also kind to animals and have spent many hours trying to track down pet's owners when I've found them wondering the streets.

[quote name='nbg352' timestamp='1383694002' post='8106940']
Anyone who can think up a reason, any reason, that justifies keeping something he finds on the golf course that rightfully belongs to someone else, will keep your wallet if he finds it laying on the park bench. In both instances, that person is a thief.
There seem to be a lot of thieves on our golf courses. You wouldn't believe the number of guys who come to me looking to replace irons, putters and GPS' they've left behind, that have never been turned in to the pro shop. A good wedge here costs $129.99 or so. Putters too. A decent Garmin? $350.
[/quote]Nope, I'll return the wallet. Also returned many wedges, range finders, etc.

So, let's say you are in a grocery store and find a $20 sitting there, do you turn it in? To who? The store clerk? That's the equivalent of the staff at the course. Let's say it's $100 or $150? Why does it matter if you are on a golf course? Now, if the course had a system you could trust, then I'd be more likely to turn in that watch or whatever. But, when the golf course staff are just as likely to take it, why bother?

I'm just saying, things are very rarely black or white. If it is going to hurt someone or something then I'll turn it in or say something. If it's something very valuable or might take the owner a lot of time to get it back (ie - a wallet, large bag of money), I'll turn it in. Of course, then I'd probably turn it in to the police, not just leave it with some guy working at the front desk. If it's a small item that's very generic, then not really going to lose any sleep over it. I guess if that makes me a 'scumbag', then so be it.

[quote name='TheGeekGolfer' timestamp='1383696112' post='8107126']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]Nope, I don't cheat, play very much by the rules. I'm also kind to animals and have spent many hours trying to track down pet's owners when I've found them wondering the streets.

[/quote]Nope, I'll return the wallet. Also returned many wedges, range finders, etc.

So, let's say you are in a grocery store and find a $20 sitting there, do you turn it in? To who? The store clerk? That's the equivalent of the staff at the course. Let's say it's $100 or $150? Why does it matter if you are on a golf course? Now, if the course had a system you could trust, then I'd be more likely to turn in that watch or whatever. But, when the golf course staff are just as likely to take it, why bother?

I'm just saying, things are very rarely black or white. If it is going to hurt someone or something then I'll turn it in or say something. If it's something very valuable or might take the owner a lot of time to get it back (ie - a wallet, large bag of money), I'll turn it in. Of course, then I'd probably turn it in to the police, not just leave it with some guy working at the front desk. If it's a small item that's very generic, then not really going to lose any sleep over it. I guess if that makes me a 'scumbag', then so be it.
[/quote]
Turn it all in!
Sounds like as nice a guy as you say you are, you are the guy in my post....except you turn in wallets and bags of money.....
How do you determine who is or isn't going to be hurt before you decide to keep something that isn't yours to keep?

[quote name='nbg352' timestamp='1383696919' post='8107178']
Turn it all in!
Sounds like as nice a guy as you say you are, you are the guy in my post....except you turn in wallets and bags of money.....
How do you determine who is or isn't going to be hurt before you decide to keep something that isn't yours to keep?
[/quote]I think I answered this. If I find something that is not golf related on the golf course and it's replacement value is under $100 and is generic (ie - not a ring, heirloom, no inscription, etc) then I generally consider it 'lost' and treat it as 'flotsam' floating around waiting for the next person to find it. In other words, I follow the 'finders keepers' principle. If someone asks me about it, I'll give it back to them.

I have forgotten a couple of wedges and no one ever turned them in so learned my lesson. I always keep track of them from that point forward. When I find stuff on the course, normally someone always drives back looking for it and I hand it over. if no one ever claims it, I don't usually turn it in to the pro shop. Sorry but I don't trust them. They can just simply keep it and say someone claimed it. What i do is tell them someone left a wedge or whatever it may be and leave my number. This only happened twice, one person called and described the item accurately so I met up with them to hand it over. The other time no one called so I donated it to a goodwill store, it was a beat up wedge.

[quote name='TheGeekGolfer' timestamp='1383697834' post='8107262']
Turn it all in!
[/quote]I think I answered this. If I find something that is not golf related on the golf course and it's replacement value is under $100 and is generic (ie - not a ring, heirloom, no inscription, etc) then I generally consider it 'lost' and treat it as 'flotsam' floating around waiting for the next person to find it. In other words, I follow the 'finders keepers' principle. If someone asks me about it, I'll give it back to them.
[/quote]
Nice...

[quote name='TheGeekGolfer' timestamp='1383696112' post='8107126']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Don't you blame the owner for losing their dog? After all, its their fault for not securing their property thoroughly, right?

And to answer your question... Whenever I find something that doesn't belong to me, I will make a reasonable effort to get it back to the owner. If I can't, ill leave it there and hope that they come back for it on their own. Its very simple. Really.

Ping G25 w/ RIP Phenom
i20 4-UW
Taylormade TM-110
Cleveland CG14 56 & 60

[quote name='rikeegee' timestamp='1383698174' post='8107292']
I have forgotten a couple of wedges and no one ever turned them in so learned my lesson. I always keep track of them from that point forward. When I find stuff on the course, normally someone always drives back looking for it and I hand it over. if no one ever claims it, I don't usually turn it in to the pro shop. Sorry but I don't trust them. They can just simply keep it and say someone claimed it. What i do is tell them someone left a wedge or whatever it may be and leave my number. This only happened twice, one person called and described the item accurately so I met up with them to hand it over. The other time no one called so I donated it to a goodwill store, it was a beat up wedge.
[/quote]
geekgolfer could learn something from this, perhaps....

[/quote] Yup. Last week I left my favorite club on the 17th, a Cally 60 degree. I called today and it was waiting for me. This was at a private club I was a guest at. A few weeks prior my buddy left his TM BURNER BUBBLE SW on a local muni and it was never turned in. Really people!

TM SLDR 460 set to 10.5° 70g Aldila VS Proto 44"
TM RBZ Stage 2 Tour 14.5° & 19°
Maltby KE4 Tour 22° Hybrid
PING G25 4-UW CFS
Maltby M-Series+ 54° and sometimes 58°
Odyssey White Ice #7 37" counter balanced and a SpryEvo TeCu insert
WS FG Tour(2014) or ProV1x

[quote name='RJRJRJ' timestamp='1383699187' post='8107384']
Don't you blame the owner for losing their dog? After all, its their fault for not securing their property thoroughly, right?

And to answer your question... Whenever I find something that doesn't belong to me, I will make a reasonable effort to get it back to the owner. If I can't, ill leave it there and hope that they come back for it on their own. Its very simple. Really.
[/quote]It isn't about assigning blame, although it is their fault that their dog got out. In the end, it's not the dog's fault, they don't / can't know any better. I don't want the dog to suffer. And, in that case, it's a pet, so it's quite valuable and sentimental to them.

I found some change in a pop machine once, I guess I should put it in an envelope and tape it to the machine in hopes that the owner will come back for it? Or maybe I should go to everyone in the office and see who last bought a coke and give it to them?

[quote name='nbg352' timestamp='1383699854' post='8107438']
[/quote]
[/quote]Actually, I have learned something, the same thing you did. I "always keep track of them", so I don't lose them again. And yes, I pick things up and try to get the attention of the group or two in front and see if anyone lost anything. If I see someone driving around, looking lost, I'll get their attention to see if they lost what I found.

And to reference your last item, the one that no one called about. It was 'a beat up wedge', so of course you donated it. What if it was a brand new wedge that no one called to claim? What then? Do you go back to the course and turn it in to the pro shop?

[quote name='TheGeekGolfer' timestamp='1383701338' post='8107600']
[/quote]
[/quote]Actually, I have learned something, the same thing you did. I "always keep track of them", so I don't lose them again. And yes, I pick things up and try to get the attention of the group or two in front and see if anyone lost anything. If I see someone driving around, looking lost, I'll get their attention to see if they lost what I found.

And to reference your last item, the one that no one called about. It was 'a beat up wedge', so of course you donated it. What if it was a brand new wedge that no one called to claim? What then? Do you go back to the course and turn it in to the pro shop?
[/quote]

You turn everything in because it isn't yours. Did your parents not teach you that? There is no logical way to argue that. The person that loses something is obviously the one who is at fault for losing their item but that doesn't mean you get to do what you want with it. New or old it's irrelevant the point is it doesn't BELONG to you. I've never lost anything on the course but I believe there are more people like me then you so odds are it would get turned in.

[quote name='patrick421' timestamp='1383701925' post='8107660']
[/quote]

[/quote]

You turn everything in because it isn't yours. Did your parents not teach you that? There is no logical way to argue that. The person that loses something is obviously the one who is at fault for losing their item but that doesn't mean you get to do what you want with it. New or old it's irrelevant the point is it doesn't BELONG to you. I've never lost anything on the course but I believe there are more people like me then you [b]so odds are it would get turned in.[/b]
[/quote]
Sadly, I think you are wrong. This is, after all, the age of self entightlement.

[/quote]

[/quote]

You turn everything in because it isn't yours. Did your parents not teach you that? There is no logical way to argue that. The person that loses something is obviously the one who is at fault for losing their item but that doesn't mean you get to do what you want with it. New or old it's irrelevant the point is it doesn't BELONG to you. I've never lost anything on the course but I believe there are more people like me then you so odds are it would get turned in.
[/quote]Actually, no...my parents didn't teach me that. My Dad was basically absent (saw him every other week on Sunday) and my Mom was diagnosed schizophrenic and would disappear for days or weeks at a time. Heck, it's amazing I didn't turn to a life of crime. Actually, when I was 10 or 11, I did go through a phase where I shop-lifted for food and stole things like clothes, etc. However, I realized that wasn't right and never stole anything again. Now, I'm 45 and work hard to get the things I have and keep from losing them.

Now, is my childhood the reason I rationalize and keep something small? Do I keep that fairly cheap watch I found, because I didn't have everything growing up? Yeah, probably...but, you know what? I also don't cheat, do drugs, never been in a fight (where i wasn't defending someone), don't drive reckless and do whatever I can to help those that call me a friend.

Should I rethink things? Who knows, maybe next time I'll turn it in, give them my number, see where that goes?

[quote name='TheGeekGolfer' timestamp='1383702955' post='8107772']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]Actually, no...my parents didn't teach me that. My Dad was basically absent (saw him every other week on Sunday) and my Mom was diagnosed schizophrenic and would disappear for days or weeks at a time. Heck, it's amazing I didn't turn to a life of crime. Actually, when I was 10 or 11, I did go through a phase where I shop-lifted for food and stole things like clothes, etc. However, I realized that wasn't right and never stole anything again. Now, I'm 45 and work hard to get the things I have and keep from losing them.

Now, is my childhood the reason I rationalize and keep something small? Do I keep that fairly cheap watch I found, because I didn't have everything growing up? Yeah, probably...but, you know what? I also don't cheat, do drugs, never been in a fight (where i wasn't defending someone), don't drive reckless and do whatever I can to help those that call me a friend.

Should I rethink things? Who knows, maybe next time I'll turn it in, give them my number, see where that goes?
[/quote]

Turning it in and not leaving your phone number is probably the thing to do since it isn't yours even if it goes unclaimed. Having a difficult childhood isn't uncommon and as an adult it is irrelevant especially regarding this topic.

Early this year I found a Vokey wedge on three consecutive holes. They were brand new. Stuck them in the bag and once I finished 18 I dropped them off at the pro shop. Apparently an older fellow with a bad memory had left not only those, but mostly all of his clubs scattered around the course.

I've never even considered taking someones stuff when I've found it. Expensive and sacred. Don't mess with a man's religion lol

EDIT:

A guy almost hit me by teeing off on a par 3 while I was walking away from the green. I stole his ball and shot him the bird. He did not deserve that pro v1

[quote name='patrick421' timestamp='1383704113' post='8107884']
Turning it in and not leaving your phone number is probably the thing to do since it isn't yours even if it goes unclaimed. Having a difficult childhood isn't uncommon and as an adult it is irrelevant especially regarding this topic.
[/quote]No, it isn't really relevant, but, you asked about what my parents did or didn't teach me, so that's why I brought it up. Now, this is where these 'debates' keep pointless. So, unless anyone adds something relevant, I'll exit.

I've probably posted this on some thread before, but the cart mechanic at a course I worked at was all happy one day.

"What's up" I asked?

"Completed my set" he responded.

After five years of being there, he had finally put together a full Ping black dot iron set from clubs people had lost and never claimed. He always left them in the lost barrel for at least a month, so he gave everyone a fair chance to get their clubs back.

[quote name='TheGeekGolfer' timestamp='1383697834' post='8107262']
Turn it all in!
[/quote]

I am going to have to respectfully disagree with your position

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

The greenskeeper at my home club told me this summer that he hadn't purchased a pair of sunglasses in 10 years.

9 times out of 10 people go to the pro-shop to look for lost and found.....the greens staff has most of the goods.

SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Miura CB-57 3-PW
Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
Old Titleist Blade