2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Thanks to all golfers that turn things in!

pencilwhipper

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='jarvis' timestamp='1383759030' post='8110328']
We rolled up to the 18th to find a vokey broken in half and stuck into the ground. The vokey had some scuff marks and looked like the guy had beat it on the cartpath. My buddy reshafted it and put it in his bag. Its his go to wedge now lol. Would you guys have turned it into the pro shop?
[/quote] No I wouldn't....why?......because it's OBVIOUS!

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

We rolled up to the 18th to find a vokey broken in half and stuck into the ground. The vokey had some scuff marks and looked like the guy had beat it on the cartpath. My buddy reshafted it and put it in his bag. Its his go to wedge now lol. Would you guys have turned it into the pro shop?
[/quote]

The only things I've found on golf courses that I've kept have been broken clubs, most of which were, like the above noted, stuck in the ground like a monument to futility. Gotta figure the owner ain't coming back for that.

Last year during a morning round, I had my Nikon/Cally rangefinder fall out of my cart somewhere; searched high and low after realizing it was gone, but no luck. My name/ph# was written on the neoprene case, but didn't think I'd get it back.

Later that afternoon I got a call from a teacher who said her student had found it and turned it in to her. The teacher and her student were part of a special education class that plays at the course sometimes as part of their recreational therapy. I was happy to get the rangefinder back, but happier knowing who found and returned it.

I ran a course many years ago so I was around later in the day putting away the carts. People leave all kinds of things in the cart basket. Mostly trash ( but that's another thread discussion). On this particular night I found a very expensive camera. I made note of the cart number so I could call the person who had that cart to let him know I had his camera. So Im pulling carts into the cart barn and as I finished these two oriental guys are walking up the path to the pro shop. This guy is so excited hes not speaking English. Hes talking a mile a minute and I don't have a clue what hes saying. So finally he takes a breath so I put my hand up like a stop sign. Then I put my hands in front of my face like im taking a picture.

His eyes open wide and he starts wildly shaking his head up and down. So I motion for them to follow me to the pro shop. When that guy saw that camera I didn't need for him to speak English to know it was his. I handed him the camera and from what he was saying I can only assume he was very thankful to get it back. It was funny that neither one of us understood a word of what the other was saying we parted with a pretty good respect for each other.

Another time I found a very expensive video camera in a cart. Again figuring Id call the guy when I got back in the shop. As I walk in the phone is ringing. This guy is talking so fast I cant get a word in edge wise. Hes looking for his video camera. 3or 4 times I attempted to tell him I had it but he would just keep talking over me going through the whole story about playing and leaving it in the cart and driving down the road. I finally just had to sit back and listen until he was done. I finally got a chance to speak and I said...I have your camera. Then he starts to say something else and after half a sentence he stops. There a slight pause and says...what?. I have your camera and its safe and sound. I could feel the relief coming through the phone.

I could have kept those things and just said I didn't see them but I got way more pleasure in seeing the faces of people when their items were returned to them.

Too many people in this world have the mind set of... too bad for them, they shouldn't have left it ...or .... well, its mine now or try and justify it some other way. In reality if you find something on a course or any other place for that matter and make no effort to find the RIGHTFUL owner you sir are a thief and suffer from a serious flaw in your up bringin. There;s no other way to put it.

Handicap 7.7

It is completely outside my realm of understanding why anyone would ever find something valuable on a golf course (obviously excluding things like ball mark repair tools, etc) and not turn it in. It seriously boggles my mind.

I once found a rather nice looking pot pipe on the fringe of the 10th green and walked over to the 11th tee and said, "You'll probably be wanting this ...". Also turned in clubs, head covers, etc.

When I was a kid, some 35 years ago, I found a Titleist PW and put it in my bag. Played with it for awhile and was hitting it really far. Loved that club...the nightmares didn't begin until years later. I really wish I would have done the right thing at the time. Dumb kid. Learned my lesson through guilt, I guess.

[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]10.5* PING G30 Tour 65S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]15* TM RBZ Matrix Ozik 7S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]18.5* TM RBZ Tour Matrix Ozik 7S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]21.5* Bio Cell Hybrid[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]5-AW Srixon z545 C-Taper Lite S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]PING Glide 54*SS, 58*TS[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]Taylormade DLL+ 36"[/color][/size][/font]

[quote name='TheGeekGolfer' timestamp='1383701338' post='8107600']
[quote name='nbg352' timestamp='1383699854' post='8107438']
[quote name='rikeegee' timestamp='1383698174' post='8107292']
I have forgotten a couple of wedges and no one ever turned them in so learned my lesson. I always keep track of them from that point forward. When I find stuff on the course, normally someone always drives back looking for it and I hand it over. if no one ever claims it, I don't usually turn it in to the pro shop. Sorry but I don't trust them. They can just simply keep it and say someone claimed it. What i do is tell them someone left a wedge or whatever it may be and leave my number. This only happened twice, one person called and described the item accurately so I met up with them to hand it over. The other time no one called so I donated it to a goodwill store, it was a beat up wedge.
[/quote]
geekgolfer could learn something from this, perhaps....
[/quote]Actually, I have learned something, the same thing you did. I "always keep track of them", so I don't lose them again. And yes, I pick things up and try to get the attention of the group or two in front and see if anyone lost anything. If I see someone driving around, looking lost, I'll get their attention to see if they lost what I found.

And to reference your last item, the one that no one called about. It was 'a beat up wedge', so of course you donated it. What if it was a brand new wedge that no one called to claim? What then? Do you go back to the course and turn it in to the pro shop?
[/quote]

Honestly, if it was a brand new wedge I would have probably called the course one more time to appease my guilt and ask if anyone was looking for it. If there was no one, then I would probably keep it or give it to one of my buddies.

Few days ago found a 56* just off the green, nothing special. I was planning on playing with it for the rest of the round and turn it in when I finished the round because I had forgot mine at home from chipping around the house. The course was pretty empty and I saw a group on the green of the next hole so I went ahead and drove up there and sure enough it was theirs. I don't care how expensive a club is or isn't, it should be turned in regardless. You just have to think if it was your most expensive club in your bag and you would want the same thing done in return.

Darkspeed LS | 9* | Ventus Black 6X

Sim2+ | 2h | Tensei White CK Pro 90TX

620 MB | 3i | Tensei White CK Pro 100TX

620 MB | 4-P | DG TI X100

Vokey SM9 | 50.08F, 54.10S, 58.04T | DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Champions Choice Newport+ | Scotty Cameron Project CLN Long Neck Prototype | Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2 | Scotty Cameron 2022 Phantom X 5

I gave my son a 56* Vokey wedge for Christmas that he lost at a course and he was devastated. I play there frequently so I called the pro shop and sure enough they had it. This wedge was 5 months old and like new yet someone still turned it in, my son was so thrilled.

As someone said before it is all about Karma, I have always turned stuff in, there has never been a question about it. I would not want to tempt the universe with dishonest behaviour.

Ping Rapture V2
Ping G15, four wood
Callaway X hot pro 20* hybrid
Ping G25 - 4 to PW
Callaway X tour 50*' 54* & 58*
Scotty newport

Whenever I can after work, I just take 2 wedges with me to hit a few pitches, bunker shots and then spend some time chipping around the green. I normally chip from one side of the green to the hole and then roll the balls to the other side and then hit from there.

Normally just rest one of the two wedges leaning against a small tree while I am chipping.

This one day, I was chipping when I saw a guy walk by, spot my other wedge, look around and then quickly bag it. I ran up and asked him wtf did he think he was doing. Still can see the embarrassment on his face in full details like it was today.

9.5° Ping i20 Diamana Ahina 70x
13.5° Mizuno MP-CLK Diamana Ahina 80x
17° Mizuno MP-CLK hybrid Stock x shaft
Miura Babyblades 3-P Project X 6.2 Tour
Miura 53° and 59° 1957 series
Miura KM-005 putter

[quote name='Jarri' timestamp='1383834504' post='8114678']
Whenever I can after work, I just take 2 wedges with me to hit a few pitches, bunker shots and then spend some time chipping around the green. I normally chip from one side of the green to the hole and then roll the balls to the other side and then hit from there.

Normally just rest one of the two wedges leaning against a small tree while I am chipping.

This one day, I was chipping when I saw a guy walk by, spot my other wedge, look around and then quickly bag it. I ran up and asked him wtf did he think he was doing. Still can see the embarrassment on his face in full details like it was today.
[/quote]

What a true @$$hole

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

[/quote]
That club wasn't lost. It was executed and then it was discarded.

R11S 8* square; Stock stiff
Maltby KE4 14* 3w , Axe Excaliber R flex tipped 1"
RBZ 25* hb; RBZstage 2 19* hb
Mizuno MP30 5 - PW, AXE Excaliber stiff, Hogan Apex PC E Wedge (50*) TT DG s300
GM Never Compromise GM2 putter
54*, 58* TM TP wedges 3* flat

I worked at a muni course in Los Angeles. I watched a golfer find a newish Vokey wedge and proceeded to put it clubhead-down into his bag. A golfer comes back from about 2 or 3 holes ahead and asks if anyone had seen his wedge. The guy shrugged like he didn't speak english (he was Korean.) I drove my cart straight at him and almost ran him over and told him to give up the wedge. He again denied it not knowing I saw him do it from another hole. I walked to his bag and pulled it out by it's grip since that was barely showing and handed it to the rightful owner. Korean guy was all pissed, but come one, it wasn't yours and the real owner came looking.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

I found a very nice driver one time on the course. In the trees off the tee. i figured it had been thrown by a angry golfer. i still turned it in. but came back a few weeks later. it was still there, so they said I could have it.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

My kid left his junior sized Callaway branded sand wedge (you know - for 4-7yr olds) on the front 9 of RB Inn and it never turned up at the proshop. It was obviously my fault for not noticing it being left, but the loser who kept it is soul-less.

TM Superfast 1.0 10.5 deg w/ Kai'Li
TM 2017 M2 15 deg
Adams Idea Tour Proto 20deg
Callaway Diablo Forged 4-PW
TM xFT 52, 56, 60
Seemore FGP mallet

Just a heads up... "oriental" is for referring to objects. I would use 'asian" next time to avoid offending anyone.

[quote name='butch33611' timestamp='1383771573' post='8111530']
I ran a course many years ago so I was around later in the day putting away the carts. People leave all kinds of things in the cart basket. Mostly trash ( but that's another thread discussion). On this particular night I found a very expensive camera. I made note of the cart number so I could call the person who had that cart to let him know I had his camera. So Im pulling carts into the cart barn and as I finished these [b]two oriental guys[/b] are walking up the path to the pro shop. This guy is so excited hes not speaking English. Hes talking a mile a minute and I don't have a clue what hes saying. So finally he takes a breath so I put my hand up like a stop sign. Then I put my hands in front of my face like im taking a picture.

His eyes open wide and he starts wildly shaking his head up and down. So I motion for them to follow me to the pro shop. When that guy saw that camera I didn't need for him to speak English to know it was his. I handed him the camera and from what he was saying I can only assume he was very thankful to get it back. It was funny that neither one of us understood a word of what the other was saying we parted with a pretty good respect for each other.

Another time I found a very expensive video camera in a cart. Again figuring Id call the guy when I got back in the shop. As I walk in the phone is ringing. This guy is talking so fast I cant get a word in edge wise. Hes looking for his video camera. 3or 4 times I attempted to tell him I had it but he would just keep talking over me going through the whole story about playing and leaving it in the cart and driving down the road. I finally just had to sit back and listen until he was done. I finally got a chance to speak and I said...I have your camera. Then he starts to say something else and after half a sentence he stops. There a slight pause and says...what?. I have your camera and its safe and sound. I could feel the relief coming through the phone.

I could have kept those things and just said I didn't see them but I got way more pleasure in seeing the faces of people when their items were returned to them.

Too many people in this world have the mind set of... too bad for them, they shouldn't have left it ...or .... well, its mine now or try and justify it some other way. In reality if you find something on a course or any other place for that matter and make no effort to find the RIGHTFUL owner you sir are a thief and suffer from a serious flaw in your up bringin. There;s no other way to put it.
[/quote]

TM Superfast 1.0 10.5 deg w/ Kai'Li
TM 2017 M2 15 deg
Adams Idea Tour Proto 20deg
Callaway Diablo Forged 4-PW
TM xFT 52, 56, 60
Seemore FGP mallet

[quote name='Jarri' timestamp='1383834504' post='8114678']

[/quote]

Wow, that guy is lucky he didn't get popped in the face.

Ping G25 w/ RIP Phenom
Adams Super LS Hybrid 17*
Adams SS Super Hybrid 19*
i20 4-UW
Taylormade TM-110
Cleveland CG14 56 & 60

[quote name='markheardjr' timestamp='1383856039' post='8116094']
I worked at a muni course in Los Angeles. I watched a golfer find a newish Vokey wedge and proceeded to put it clubhead-down into his bag. A golfer comes back from about 2 or 3 holes ahead and asks if anyone had seen his wedge. The guy shrugged like he didn't speak english (he was Korean.) I drove my cart straight at him and almost ran him over and told him to give up the wedge. He again denied it not knowing I saw him do it from another hole. I walked to his bag and pulled it out by it's grip since that was barely showing and handed it to the rightful owner. Korean guy was all pissed, but come one, it wasn't yours and the real owner came looking.
[/quote]

Nice , ballsy move

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

I was thinking the exact same thing...

[quote name='lobub' timestamp='1383858673' post='8116290']
Just a heads up... "oriental" is for referring to objects.
[/quote]

I love golf

Driver:  2018 Cally Rogue 10.5* (Set to 12.5*)

Fairway Metals:  Ping G30 14.5* and 18*

Irons:   PXG Gen3 0311P (4-G) MMT80 Stiff

Wedges:  PXG 0311 Forged 54*/58* MMT80 Stiff

Putter:  Odyssey Stroke Lab “Double Wide” 34”

Bag:  G-Fore Daytona Plus (AKA: Vessel Lite)

You guys have much more faith in humanity than I do---especially golfers. I believe it's a fairly reliable axiom----"a person that will lie to you will steal from you". I've never known a golfer (or fisherman) that would lie to you.....(note the sarcasm)...

Callaway X2 Driver
Callaway X2 4W & Hybrid
Mizuno 850 forged irons, KBS CT Light
Cleveland 588RTX Black 50, 55, 60 (bent to MY standards...'sup?)
Callway Chrome Soft
Taylormade C79 Putter

[quote name='Blues Golfer' timestamp='1345302382' post='5494288']
I consider anyone that does NOT turn in lost items to be a scumbag. Sorry, but the item is not yours. If you want one, buy one. Keeping something you find without at least trying to find the owner, to me, is theft.

If you turn something in and say "look if no one claims it in a few days, I want this back" then I am ok with that. The guy in the shop didn't find it, you did. If no one claims it, it's not shopkid's either, and they don't deserve it. If you were honest and tried to return it, but the owner never claimed it, well ok.

But picking up a club or other item that someone dropped or forgot THAT DAY and saying "oh well, it's mine now..." is dishonest and infantile. I see that as no different than taking it out of his bag.
[/quote]
I agree, I've found clubs, gloves, phones, headcovers, divot-tools, ballmarkers and many other things on the course. Like you I feel that if you don't return it you're just stealing.

About two weeks ago I was playing with a friend. At the fifth hole the flight behind us caught up with us, they found €70 (nearly $100) on the course and where asking if it was ours. It was my friends', he made sure the finders got a round of drinks after playing. Money (not in a wallet, just bills) is really the easiest thing to pocket.

Slapping the ball around a bit, having loads of fun.

[quote name='patrick421' timestamp='1383622059' post='8103250']
[quote name='TheGeekGolfer' timestamp='1383606146' post='8101858']
If it's 'non golf related' and under $100, then (from the informal poll of my playing buddies) the Golf Gods don't care, so it's fair game.
[/quote]

You are a scumbag if you keep anything you find on the course regardless of the price, it's about the principle. If you didn't pay for it, it's not yours so turn it in.
[/quote]

Totally agree with you Patrick, no matter how big or small, if you find something that is not yours, you should try and return it to its owner. Golf is a gentleman's game.

TaylorMade R11s 9
TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour 14.5
18 & 21 2011 TaylorMade Rescues
Ping Eye 2 5-L

Just a heads up... "oriental" is for referring to objects. I would use 'asian" next time to avoid offending anyone.

I ran a course many years ago so I was around later in the day putting away the carts. People leave all kinds of things in the cart basket. Mostly trash ( but that's another thread discussion). On this particular night I found a very expensive camera. I made note of the cart number so I could call the person who had that cart to let him know I had his camera. So Im pulling carts into the cart barn and as I finished these [b]two oriental guys[/b] are walking up the path to the pro shop. This guy is so excited hes not speaking English. Hes talking a mile a minute and I don't have a clue what hes saying. So finally he takes a breath so I put my hand up like a stop sign. Then I put my hands in front of my face like im taking a picture.

[/quote]
[/quote]

Im not a very politically correct person so I don't keep up with latest terms that wont offend someone. I think it might stem from the fact that I don't care if their offended or not but thanks for the correction.

Handicap 7.7

[quote name='butch33611' timestamp='1383941801' post='8120478']

[/quote]
[/quote]

Im not a very politically correct person so I don't keep up with latest terms that wont offend someone. I think it might stem from the fact that I don't care if their offended or not but thanks for the correction.
[/quote]

Must not get political ..... must not get political .... must not get political .....

But if I were to get political I'm sure I can make some pretty accurate assumptions about you.

[quote name='butch33611' timestamp='1383941801' post='8120478']

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

god forbid you try to show a little respect for someone. That'd show weakness and all.

I'm waiting for some good Karma to come back to me. I always turn things in, but recently lost an 8 iron after leaving it by a green to chip. Waited 3 weeks (playing multiple rounds without it), calling the course every few days, hoping someone had turned it in... No dice.

Had to order a replacement from Ping for $130. I hope someone out there is enjoying and getting some use out it...

Callaway Rouge ST Max LS 10.5* Ventus Blue 6S
Callaway XHP 15* AD DI 7s
Callaway Apex UW 19* AD DI 7S

Ping Icrossover 4 Kai'li White 80s
Ping S55 Nippon Modus 120x
Ping Glide 50*, 54*, 58*
Byron Morgan DH89

Snell MTB-X or Titleist ProV1

[quote name='llamont' timestamp='1383892651' post='8118282']
I was thinking the exact same thing...

Just a heads up... "oriental" is for referring to objects.
[/quote]
[/quote]

We always call my Japanese buddy oriental in a joking manner and he replies "I'm not a rug!"

Cut down a putter for my son when he was about 3 years old. It was about 18". Long story short, he left it on a hole and we discovered it was missing on the next green. When we went back for it. the group behind us denied having or seeing it, but it was not anywhere where we had been. What would full size people want with an 18" club? I don't know, but the disappointment over losing a club for my 3 year old so he could join me on the golf course has stuck with me for over 20 years. Really not a big deal, found another club to cut down for him, but the disappointment still lingers.

The guilt over keeping someone else's club would haunt me every time i pulled it out of the bag, I could never not turn a club in. If the clubhouse staff or cart barn personnel keep it, it is not on me. I can only do what is right and can't control what others do, just like I can only golf my own ball and can't control how the other players play/score.

How to play golf.
Hit the ball.
Find the ball
Repeat until the ball is in the hole.
Have fun.
...Chuck Hogan

True, I remember asking at one course when my son was about 5 if they had any lost/junk clubs that no one ever came back for if they could be used to make a 'cut-down' set for my little guy. The assistant pro brings me into the back room and there's 4-5 plastic large garbage bins full of clubs and he starts weeding through them. I asked, 'have all these been left behind?...will people come back for them?", and he pointed to another bin where the 'recent left clubs' are placed and after a season, they are tossed in with this lot. I wonder if some people even know they left/lost a club? I have picked up clubs from some people and after picking up 3 irons from the same guy wondered at what point he would realize and come back for them, lol.

Anyway, he made a cut-down set for my 5 year old, was worried at first because they weighed so much compared to his size. Then when he was 6, lol, we were in Palm Springs and went to some golf store that had clubs on sale in a big bin for $2 each, and he picked out a full set (see avatar) and didn't want them cut down, hilarious.

[quote name='inthefairway' timestamp='1345296495' post='5493986']
Few weeks back we found a club off the green and I took it and turned it in to the pro shop. My thoughts were that if it were my club I'd be more than happy if someone turned it in. The strange thing is, that they have about 40 clubs that no one claims and you will see this at other courses also!!!! Strange!!!!!
[/quote]

GHIN Index 12.9
LH Epic Flash Driver-LH, 10.5*, Project X EvenFlow Riptide 50 (Light)
LH Callaway Rogue 5-wood (18*), 7-wood (20*); Aldila Synergy 60-Reg
LH Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4-AW, Recoil Dart 75 F3
LH Cleveland RTX 50*, 54*, 58*
LH Odyssey Double Wide Stroke Lab Putter