Tour players who smoke

A.G.Blade

I smoke refer on the course from time to time, now THAT is a performance enhancing drug, really smooths out swing tempo

Bats/Sticks/Tools:

Ping G 10.5 set at 9.9, tour ad di 6x
Titleist 915F set at A4 (16.5), Rouge Black 80s
Titleist 910H set at A1 (19), Diamana Whiteboard 90s
Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW, KBS Tour 120s
Titleist SM6 52(bent to 51), 56, 60. M grinds on the 56 and 60 F on the 51
Cameron Squareback.
ProV1x

Assistant Professional
PGA Apprentice

"Live Free or Die"

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Mulligan26' timestamp='1351036185' post='5836173']
I smoke refer on the course from time to time, now THAT is a performance enhancing drug, really smooths out swing tempo
[/quote]
Hahahaha nice!

Titleist TSi3 10* w/ Tour AD GP-6
Titleist U510 16* w/ HZRDUS Smoke 
Titleist 818H2 21* w/ Alidila Rogue 
Titleist 712 AP2 w/ X100
Titleist Vokey SM6 50/56/60
Scotty Cameron 009 1.5 Neck

[quote name='nbg352' timestamp='1351005212' post='5833177']
[quote name='golfpros1' timestamp='1350965103' post='5831393']
the PGA should ban smoking, dip, and any other performance enhancement drugs (as well as the USGA for that matter). Yes, it's a drug, and for one, it alters the mood and mindset of the player, giving the player an edge during competition. Any smoker or dipper keeping it real will say it helps them cope with stress and pressure better, and even relaxes.... otherwise they wouldn't do it. It's a crutch, and crutches are cheating in golf (see anchoring your putter). And second, it's irresponsible to allow it for a public image of life on tour and general health. Even when smoking was popular, Jack Nicklaus had enough sense to realize he looked like a jack a** doing it. Players in 2012 have no excuse. If they want to go to the bar and drink and smoke themselves to death, go for it, but not on the course. Flame away but that's my opinion.
[/quote]
Both alcohol and nicotine, in any form are depressants. They are NOT performance enhancing drugs. And like anchoring, they may only appear to provide an advantage to the user. Sadly that is far from the truth as far as nicotine and alcohol is concerned. and it has never actually been proven to be true in the case of anchoring..
If your gonna ride a high horse you should be sure the big fella has it's facts straight.
[/quote]

When Spencer Levin is chain smoking through the back nine of a PGA, are you saying he's doing that cause he wants to hurt his performance? When smokers get nervous, they smoke, and it chills them out. yeah, i've smoked, I've played with guys that smoke, and that's exactly why smokers do it. And in 2012 if anyone is still doing it, they're either completely misinformed, idiotic, or so far addicted that they can't stop.

The PGA Tour is irresponsible to allow it and it will eventually be banned, I can assure you. What's worse... cursing or smoking? Because players are fined for cursing every time it happens, yet cursing never killed anyone. Players are fined for over reacting to a golf shot, yet over reacting to a golf shot never killed anyone. Think about where responsible should fall.

If anyone on golfwrx can't understand such basic logic, I can only contribute it to the addict in them talking. Addicts will rationalize anything into being OK, usually followed by how they are a victim. I sincerely hope everyone I know or posts on golfwrx, can stop using tobacco products. Not for me, for them.

----------------
Golf Jobs
Driver: Titleist TS3 9.5 w/ Tensei Blue 55 S
3W: Titleist 915F 15 w/ Diamana D+ 80 S
3H: Titleist 915H 21 w/ Diamana D+ 90 S
Irons: 4-GW Titleist T100 w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Wedge: Vokey SM8 54.10S TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Wedge: Vokey SM8 60.04L TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Ball: 2021 Titleist ProV1

spacer.png

[quote name='Hateto3Putt' timestamp='1351001485' post='5832853']
Times have changed, here's what Arnie is saying these days....

I've got a question for you guys who still smoke....

Will you smoke your next cigarette because you want to, or because you have to?

[url="http://www.whyquit.com/whyquit/BryanLeeCurtis.html"]He wanted YOU to know.[/url]
[/quote]

What a great post, and a great video. The PGA Tour, and it's members, should demonstrate as much common sense as the King.

----------------
Golf Jobs
Driver: Titleist TS3 9.5 w/ Tensei Blue 55 S
3W: Titleist 915F 15 w/ Diamana D+ 80 S
3H: Titleist 915H 21 w/ Diamana D+ 90 S
Irons: 4-GW Titleist T100 w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Wedge: Vokey SM8 54.10S TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Wedge: Vokey SM8 60.04L TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Ball: 2021 Titleist ProV1

spacer.png

[quote name='golfpros1' timestamp='1351044130' post='5836953']
the PGA should ban smoking, dip, and any other performance enhancement drugs (as well as the USGA for that matter). Yes, it's a drug, and for one, it alters the mood and mindset of the player, giving the player an edge during competition. Any smoker or dipper keeping it real will say it helps them cope with stress and pressure better, and even relaxes.... otherwise they wouldn't do it. It's a crutch, and crutches are cheating in golf (see anchoring your putter). And second, it's irresponsible to allow it for a public image of life on tour and general health. Even when smoking was popular, Jack Nicklaus had enough sense to realize he looked like a jack a** doing it. Players in 2012 have no excuse. If they want to go to the bar and drink and smoke themselves to death, go for it, but not on the course. Flame away but that's my opinion.
[/quote]
Both alcohol and nicotine, in any form are depressants. They are NOT performance enhancing drugs. And like anchoring, they may only appear to provide an advantage to the user. Sadly that is far from the truth as far as nicotine and alcohol is concerned. and it has never actually been proven to be true in the case of anchoring..
If your gonna ride a high horse you should be sure the big fella has it's facts straight.
[/quote]

When Spencer Levin is chain smoking through the back nine of a PGA, are you saying he's doing that cause he wants to hurt his performance? When smokers get nervous, they smoke, and it chills them out. yeah, i've smoked, I've played with guys that smoke, and that's exactly why smokers do it. And in 2012 if anyone is still doing it, they're either completely misinformed, idiotic, or so far addicted that they can't stop.

The PGA Tour is irresponsible to allow it and it will eventually be banned, I can assure you. What's worse... cursing or smoking? Because players are fined for cursing every time it happens, yet cursing never killed anyone. Players are fined for over reacting to a golf shot, yet over reacting to a golf shot never killed anyone. Think about where responsible should fall.
[/quote]

Are you saying that Mr Levin is chill after he smokes? Because from what I see, it doesn't help him one bit.

But this is just the born again non smoker comments I've been waiting for.

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

[quote name='Vindog' timestamp='1351045355' post='5837039']
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Are you saying that Mr Levin is chill after he smokes? Because from what I see, it doesn't help him one bit.

But this is just the born again non smoker comments I've been waiting for.
[/quote]

TESTIFY!

[/quote]
[/quote]

If anyone on golfwrx can't understand such basic logic, I can only contribute it to the addict in them talking. Addicts will rationalize anything into being OK, usually followed by how they are a victim. I sincerely hope everyone I know or posts on golfwrx, can stop using tobacco products. Not for me, for them.
[/quote]

How in God's name is the PGA Tour irresponsible? Honestly, is no one able to make up their own mind?

[quote name='hogans71' timestamp='1351046189' post='5837101']
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

How in God's name is the PGA Tour irresponsible? Honestly, is no one able to make up their own mind?
[/quote]

I know I can't, I'm glued to the "what Nike clubs will rory play" thread so I can rush out and get the same gear he has the minute the deal is finalized.

Oh, and now that I've seen the Palmer hogan picture I'm going to start smoking too, mostly on golf courses, and in cosmerica park and ford field, maybe the big house too, I dunno, I'll let you guys know when I get to Michigan.

[quote name='Thrillhouse' timestamp='1351046600' post='5837127']
[quote name='hogans71' timestamp='1351046189' post='5837101']

[/quote]

I know I can't, I'm glued to the "what Nike clubs will rory play" thread so I can rush out and get the same gear he has the minute the deal is finalized.

Oh, and now that I've seen the Palmer hogan picture I'm going to start smoking too, mostly on golf courses, and in cosmerica park and ford field, maybe the big house too, I dunno, I'll let you guys know when I get to Michigan.
[/quote]

If you make it downtown Chicago I know of a couple bars that openly flaunt their allowance of smoking to take place...

Sadly, when we see people wrap tobacco in the American Flag and defend it as a choice issue more times than not it's just an addict rationalizing their own behavior.There is a world of difference between people making a choice, and people being addicted to a drug. We have laws against people attempting suicide, but we allow cigarette smoking, the irony of course is that both are one in the same. I can't think of any other product that when used as intended, will unquestionably kill the user without a single benefit. Tobacco is a sinister product specifically designed to addict anyone who uses it immediately and will see their finances, physical health, and personal hygiene degrade rapidly.
I sincerely hope that anyone reading this who is a tobacco addict makes a legitimate effort to stop. There's tons of resources on line, I'm sure there are support groups in almost every region now, there's no excuse not to. When you see PGA tour players, guys who have won the lottery of cool in life, falling prey to this it just goes to show that it can happen to anyone.
It would be great if one of the non smoking associations reached out to Levine and helped him quit. It would set a great example for a lot of people that it can be done.

[quote name='TheDarkOne' timestamp='1351058294' post='5837701']
Sadly, when we see people wrap tobacco in the American Flag and defend it as a choice issue more times than not it's just an addict rationalizing their own behavior.There is a world of difference between people making a choice, and people being addicted to a drug. We have laws against people attempting suicide,
[/quote]

Nope! Dropped in the last two states that had that legislation since the 90's!

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laws_against_suicide#section_3

When smokers get nervous, they smoke, and it chills them out. [/quote]

No it does not.

It elevates their heart rate and increases their blood pressure. Mentally, it satisfies their craving, but physiologically, it causes anything but "chilling out" in their bodies. It's a performance "de-hancer", if you like, for a sport like golf.

Nicotine is a stimulant. Just like a broad class of drugs generally ending in "-ine" like caffeine, phentermine and , oh yeah, meth.

Not saying you can't dislike smoking, because it is indeed pretty gross, but get the facts right when mounting the soapbox. And be sure to lump Jim Furyk into your message for his pounding and promoting on national TV another concentrated stimulant as well.

[quote name='H.A. Kerr' timestamp='1351062779' post='5837797']
When smokers get nervous, they smoke, and it chills them out. [/quote]

No it does not.

It elevates their heart rate and increases their blood pressure. Mentally, it satisfies their craving, but physiologically, it causes anything but "chilling out" in their bodies. It's a performance "de-hancer", if you like, for a sport like golf.

Nicotine is a stimulant. Just like a broad class of drugs generally ending in "-ine" like caffeine, phentermine and , oh yeah, meth.

Not saying you can't dislike smoking, because it is indeed pretty gross, but get the facts right when mounting the soapbox. And be sure to lump Jim Furyk into your message for his pounding and promoting on national TV another concentrated stimulant as well.
[/quote]

Did you miss the part where he said he, himself, smoked? I have to think a smoker would have a pretty good idea what smoking does to him.

[size=4][color=#222222] I have never used tobacco so let me ask a question. How long can a tobacco addict go before the addiction starts affecting them? I ask because I would think a tour pro could just wait to have a smoke until after his round. Is it so bad that a person has to have them constantly? Gosh it sounds terrible. I can't imagine something controlling my life like that. [/color][/size][color=#222222][size=2][/size][/color]
[size=4][color=#222222]These stories about Levine having one every hole, does it get that bad for everyone, or are some people worse than others? [/color][/size][color=#222222][size=2][/size][/color]

[quote name='soregongolfer' timestamp='1351069199' post='5837893']Did you miss the part where he said he, himself, smoked? I have to think a smoker would have a pretty good idea what smoking does to him.
[/quote]

I must have missed the part where biased anecdotal information is considered grounds for making "factual" statements which fly in the face of organic chemistry.

shovel-ier shovels
a hideous grip

[quote name='TheDarkOne' timestamp='1351080987' post='5838113']
[size=4][color=#222222]I have never used tobacco so let me ask a question. How long can a tobacco addict go before the addiction starts affecting them? I ask because I would think a tour pro could just wait to have a smoke until after his round. Is it so bad that a person has to have them constantly? Gosh it sounds terrible. I can't imagine something controlling my life like that. [/color][/size]
[size=4][color=#222222]These stories about Levine having one every hole, does it get that bad for everyone, or are some people worse than others? [/color][/size]
[/quote]

Smokers smoke for a variety of reasons, one of which may be out of boredom. Since rounds on the PGA Tour can get excrutiatingly long, I am not surprised that players smoke out there amidst their 5.5 hr rounds while standing around.

In the case of Spencer Levin...a cigarette every 20 minutes or so ( about an average hole for a 5 hr round) is not that far out of the realm of normal. Believe it or not, there are some who puff even harder than that, and many that smoke much, much less.

shovel-ier shovels
a hideous grip

I have never used tobacco so let me ask a question. How long can a tobacco addict go before the addiction starts affecting them? I ask because I would think a tour pro could just wait to have a smoke until after his round. Is it so bad that a person has to have them constantly? [b]Gosh it sounds terrible. I can't imagine something controlling my life like that. [/b]
These stories about Levine having one every hole, does it get that bad for everyone, or are some people worse than others?
[/quote]

The level of irony in this comment is so delicious. It's lovely to be free from the ache of addiction but let me tell you that it is doubly so to be free from those who wish to impose their will on an individual's life choices.

Imagine how people would feel if your sanctimonious plans to make courses smoke free ever did become the law. A part of their life is now "controlled" by you because you don't like it and think that it's a bad thing and nobody should have the right to make their own decision on the matter; presumably because you know best.

Of all the pollutants in modern life this kind of attitude is the most choking, nauseating and disrespectful of all.

[color=#000080][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4][b]Driver - Cobra Fly Z
Fairway - TM M2
Hybrid - Nickent 5DX
Irons - TM PSi 5-PW
Chipping things - Callaway MD3 50, 55,60
Putter - Odyssey MXM #7[/b][/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='Vindog' timestamp='1351081551' post='5838145']
[quote name='soregongolfer' timestamp='1351069199' post='5837893']Did you miss the part where he said he, himself, smoked? I have to think a smoker would have a pretty good idea what smoking does to him.
[/quote]

I must have missed the part where biased anecdotal information is considered grounds for making "factual" statements which fly in the face of organic chemistry.
[/quote]

I definitely putt worse straight after a cigarette. Buzzing!

[quote name='Hogan's Cardy' timestamp='1351082861' post='5838205']
Imagine how people would feel if your sanctimonious plans to make courses smoke free ever did become the law. [/quote]

[size=4][color=#222222]I would imagine they would feel the same way as they currently do about bars, concert halls, malls, grocery stores, restaurants, outdoor stadiums and every other place that used to let people smoke. It's not like I don't respect people's rights, I argue for the rights of the non smoker, the people who for years had to indirectly tolerate a filthy habit that spilled into every segment of society. [/color][/size][color=#222222][size=2][/size][/color]
[size=4][color=#222222] [/color][/size][color=#222222][size=2][/size][/color]
[size=4][color=#222222]Hopefully soon the PGA will make it mandatory that players cannot smoke and there is no smoking on the grounds of their events. If tour players have addiction problems, I can't believe they don't have resources to deal with these. Believe me if they started suspending people for doing it, everyone on tour would quit very fast. I do like some of the suggestions we have seen here. Targeting a players sponsors for supporting a smoker is a very good idea. [/color][/size][color=#222222][size=2][/size][/color]

^dude you're one of the most delusional, progressive, nanny state harping A******s I've ever had the displeasure of reading content from. Your idea's make the current president seem like rush limbaughs best friend

Bats/Sticks/Tools:

Cameron Squareback.
ProV1x

Assistant Professional
PGA Apprentice

"Live Free or Die"

Basically what I was getting at Vin, you're more diplomatic than me

Bats/Sticks/Tools:

Cameron Squareback.
ProV1x

Assistant Professional
PGA Apprentice

"Live Free or Die"

I'm a former smoker. I know that smoking doesn't technically cause one to "chill out". But what it does do is provide a bit of mental relief. Non smokers don't and can't understand it. Those who smoke are addicted, no denying that fact, and faced with a situation that causes their need to kick in, they partake. Remember that the body and mind don't always have to agree on what works..... just look at the sores, falling out teeth, and other ill effects for a long time meth user.

I don't care if tour players smoke. I don't care if you smoke. I smoked, and now I don't. I will never demand that someone alters their life to make mine more convenient. If I'm at an event, and someone is smoking in an area where it's allowed, I have the choice to move or wait it out. I actually went to a bar the other day with a sign that read along the lines of "this is a smoking establishment. If you have a problem with that, turn around and leave." I can get behind that.

[quote name='Hogan's Cardy' timestamp='1351082861' post='5838205']
I have never used tobacco so let me ask a question. How long can a tobacco addict go before the addiction starts affecting them? I ask because I would think a tour pro could just wait to have a smoke until after his round. Is it so bad that a person has to have them constantly? [b]Gosh it sounds terrible. I can't imagine something controlling my life like that. [/b]
These stories about Levine having one every hole, does it get that bad for everyone, or are some people worse than others?
[/quote]

The level of irony in this comment is so delicious. It's lovely to be free from the ache of addiction but let me tell you that it is doubly so to be free from those who wish to impose their will on an individual's life choices.

Imagine how people would feel if your sanctimonious plans to make courses smoke free ever did become the law. A part of their life is now "controlled" by you because you don't like it and think that it's a bad thing and nobody should have the right to make their own decision on the matter; presumably because you know best.

Of all the pollutants in modern life this kind of attitude is the most choking, nauseating and disrespectful of all.
[/quote]

Well said. This guy has to get off the soap box. Why do people want to tell everyone else how to live? I was a guest at Winged Foot in August and the member told me smoking was fine as long as I took care of the butts. I've smoked at other private clubs. I smoke at Bethpage. I'm outdoors.....leave me the f++k alone!

[quote name='johnnypro' timestamp='1351085819' post='5838339']Well said. This guy has to get off the soap box. Why do people want to tell everyone else how to live? I was a guest at Winged Foot in August and the member told me smoking was fine as long as I took care of the butts. I've smoked at other private clubs. I smoke at Bethpage. I'm outdoors.....leave me the f++k alone!
[/quote]

Just for my information, because I was only speculating earlier...but is smoking prohibited at Bethpage? I assumed so as it is a State Park.

But you bring up a good point in that often times, the smokers don't make thing any easier on themselves. Butts everywhere, smoking where they are not supposed to etc... Even as a smoker I hated seeing butts everywhere, or right next to a green.

Some time ago we had an Independent Gov (A. King) who proposed a deposit on cig butts, much like the deposit on bottles and cans, in an effort to keep the butts off of the street. Never came to pass. How would you like to work in [i]that[/i] redemption center... :bad:

shovel-ier shovels
a hideous grip

I always throw my butts in the cart, then in the trash before I turn the cart in or if I'm walking I keep an empty pack in my bag and put them in there then pitch the old pack after the round.

I had a smoke nazi accost me for smoking once at a driving range, she was extremely rude about it. She said " golf is a game for athletes blah blah". Now keep in mind she was in her mid 40's, looked like shamu stuffed in a t shirt and JEANS, and probably couldn't walk an 18 hole round if she had a gun to her head. So I turn to her, chuckle and say "ma'am we're outside, I'll do as I please" *pull out my driver* "and when you can hit a ball like this" *i rip a monster drive* "then you can accost me for smoking, until then you can leave if you don't like it"...

Yep passive brag post, come at me bros

Bats/Sticks/Tools:

Cameron Squareback.
ProV1x

Assistant Professional
PGA Apprentice

"Live Free or Die"

[quote name='Mulligan26' timestamp='1351088033' post='5838505']
I always throw my butts in the cart, then in the trash before I turn the cart in or if I'm walking I keep an empty pack in my bag and put them in there then pitch the old pack after the round.

I had a smoke nazi accost me for smoking once at a driving range, she was extremely rude about it. She said " golf is a game for athletes blah blah". Now keep in mind she was in her mid 40's, looked like shamu stuffed in a t shirt and JEANS, and probably couldn't walk an 18 hole round if she had a gun to her head. So I turn to her, chuckle and say "ma'am we're outside, I'll do as I please" *pull out my driver* "and when you can hit a ball like this" *i rip a monster drive* "then you can accost me for smoking, until then you can leave if you don't like it"...

Yep passive brag post, come at me bros
[/quote]

Hmmmm...

The last time you passive bragged that story I think you said it was a 7 iron.

shovel-ier shovels
a hideous grip

[size=4]We’ve had smoking discussions on Wrx many times, and it always amazes me that we never get to meet the guy who is littering at Pro events or even public courses. No matter if we speak of the old days at the Buick Open, or as recently as this weekend, I see a ton of smoking related garbage every time I play a round of golf. High class course or public, it matters not. Those awful chewed up cigars that are hard to look at without wanting to puke. Cigarette butts everywhere. We had one of our smokers catch a trash can on the course on fire last year.[/size]
[size=4]Again, this behavior isn’t restricted to the amateur level. We have all seen Pro golfers have a smoke, then flick the cigarette off into the grass or fairway. At an absolute minimum, I wish the Pros who did smoke would at least not liter. But I suppose that woudl be an attack on their freedoms. [/size]