It's official: USGA, R&A propose anchor ban

zakkozuchowski

[quote name='spooky' timestamp='1354388911' post='6004937']
Maybe that is why they say that the forearm cannot be held against the body for that style? I can't answer for the governing bodies though. Clearly the intent is that the butt should not be anchored - I hope players respect the intent of the rule and don't try to find ways around the rules.
[/quote]

It's shown in the interpretive picture that you may grip the club in this manner as long as your forearm isn't anchored on your body. Not getting around the rule, complying with it...

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

• Replies 973
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='pingman1' timestamp='1354389280' post='6004955']
The players are playing for one reason, to make money. They will definitely try to find ways around this rule. Anyone who thinks they won't is fooling themselves.
[/quote]
The game is meant to played in the right spirit - in a way that other sports have not managed to maintain. Football (soccer to some) now has people falling over in performances worthy of an Oscar in attempts to gain an advantage - golf is meant to be better than that, with players calling themselves out. Trying to find a way around the rules is not in the spirit of the game at all in my opinion. Doing so would display a distinct lack of class.

Taylormade M1 440 - Tensei CK Pro Orange TX
Adams VST Hybrid (19) - GD AD-DI X
Tour Edge Exotics CB4 (4 wood) - GD AD-DI X
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour (5-PW) KBS S-Taper S
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged (4) KBS S-Taper S
Taylormade Milled Grind (52 & 58, SB) - Nippon Modus 130 S
Taylormade Spider Tour (red) / Scotty Cameron Button Back Newport
Titleist Pro V1
Feeling sad and neglected: Taylormade P750 (4-PW) / Srixon 765 (4-PW) - Nippon Modus 3 130 S

[quote name='kevcarter ' timestamp='1354389507' post='6004977']
Maybe that is why they say that the forearm cannot be held against the body for that style? I can't answer for the governing bodies though. Clearly the intent is that the butt should not be anchored - I hope players respect the intent of the rule and don't try to find ways around the rules.
[/quote]

It's shown in the interpretive picture that you may grip the club in this manner as long as your forearm isn't anchored on your body. Not getting around the rule, complying with it...
[/quote]
I was making a general comment... and as far as I can tell they have pretty much said that they don't think anchoring the putter is a golf stroke. I think it would be quite difficult to maintain the butt position consistently in the manner shown though (not that I particularly care).

Titleist Pro V1
Feeling sad and neglected: Taylormade P750 (4-PW) / Srixon 765 (4-PW) - Nippon Modus 3 130 S

[quote name='spooky' timestamp='1354389966' post='6005001']
[quote name='kevcarter ' timestamp='1354389507' post='6004977']
[/quote]

[/quote]
I was making a general comment... and as far as I can tell they have pretty much said that they don't think anchoring the putter is a golf stroke. I think it would be quite difficult to maintain the butt position consistently in the manner shown though (not that I particularly care).
[/quote]

I agree Spooky. I've already tried it, no good for me... :-)

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

[quote name='mark m' timestamp='1354384577' post='6004737']
Parker: as kev said, you make good points. They should have set limits on the driver size much earlier. If they ever do address driver size - IMO it would have to go down to around 300cc or so to make a real difference. My current Titleist D3 is 445cc. Hardly a difference from 425cc. My old persimmon drivers were around 180cc. So to make a real difference on COR and shaft length - a major size decrease would be needed. So I don't see it happening. Guys would scream.

BTW: Guys would still be able to hit the ball as far with a 300cc driver as they currently do. But this change would drive down shaft lengths for many (not all) of the players. Many also would not swing as hard because the resulting mishits would be much worse. So overall average distance on tour would go down.
[/quote]

The driving distance of the longest drivers on tour hasn't really gone up in years. There's just more big hitters now then there was in 2004 for a variety of reasons. But the actual distance the long guys hit it doesn't really seem to be increasing

that being said i actually wouldn't have a problem with a 300cc clubhead limit for the reasons you mention. Much prefer that than any changes to the ball

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Srixon ZX 19h w/PX hzrdus Red 80

Mizuno MP241 4-PW w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Mizuno MP24 52 w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Cleveland RTX6 60/10--Spinner

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Keegan was heckled for using the anchor in the freaking World Golf Challenge. Wait until next year when there are more fans, more drinking, and these players are going to really hear it from fans. As bad as this is, the blame needs to be put on the USGA for banning something then putting a date of 3 years away. can't imagine this ban in place and someone being in contention at a major 2 years from now.

put the ban in place in oct of 2013 when the new PGA season starts and be done with it. Heckling is only going to get worse. Players can figure it out having an entire year to practice. 2016....really? Doesn't surprise me that the USGA and R&A try to do the right thing and still find a way to mess something up. Lets roll back the driver but put a 2019 date in place next

Ping G400 LST 10 w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 75g
TM M2 3HL w/ Rogue Black 70 S
Cobra F8 19*
J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P
Cleveland RTX3 CB 50 54 58
TM Spider Tour Black w/ T-sightline 36" 

[quote name='HoosierMizuno' timestamp='1354476543' post='6008411']
Keegan was heckled for using the anchor in the freaking World Golf Challenge. Wait until next year when there are more fans, more drinking, and these players are going to really hear it from fans. As bad as this is, the blame needs to be put on the USGA for banning something then putting a date of 3 years away. can't imagine this ban in place and someone being in contention at a major 2 years from now.

put the ban in place in oct of 2013 when the new PGA season starts and be done with it. Heckling is only going to get worse. Players can figure it out having an entire year to practice. 2016....really? Doesn't surprise me that the USGA and R&A try to do the right thing and still find a way to mess something up. Lets roll back the driver but put a 2019 date in place next
[/quote]

Seems like the defenders of the traditions and spirit of the game are really classy people.

I see a gap. There definitely is a gap.

2 + 2 = 5...

Titleist Pro V1

[quote name='avrag' timestamp='1354477384' post='6008463']

[/quote]

Seems like the defenders of the traditions and spirit of the game are really classy people.
[/quote]

Right because you know the motivation of the yahoo screamin cheater. From some of the unhinged top flipping meltdowns I have seen from the shaky handed yipper convention, it could just as likely be an anchored user doing this so guys like you would scream "See! See!" Like that matters somehow! Regardless, Keegan is a big boy and I am sure he has heard worse heckles from people that happened to be beyond the hole in his putting line once they got a face full of the stare. "Creeping me out with that eye thing Keegs!" If you don't believe he can take it, ask him. Someone else did and he basically said no big deal. Yet it is to you? I have to go, I need to get one of the "Stop the Ban" buttons from Alex Micelli on order. So I can throw it in my "things people once thought were important, but actually weren't" box of collectibles. With My Jarret Wright Rookie card and Todd Marinovich Raiders jersey.

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

[quote name='KYMAR' timestamp='1354482360' post='6008717']
[quote name='avrag' timestamp='1354477384' post='6008463']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Right because you know the motivation of the yahoo screamin cheater. From some of the unhinged top flipping meltdowns I have seen from the shaky handed yipper convention, it could just as likely be an anchored user doing this so guys like you would scream "See! See!" Like that matters somehow! Regardless, Keegan is a big boy and I am sure he has heard worse heckles from people that happened to be beyond the hole in his putting line once they got a face full of the stare. "Creeping me out with that eye thing Keegs!" If you don't believe he can take it, ask him. Someone else did and he basically said no big deal. Yet it is to you? I have to go, I need to get one of the "Stop the Ban" buttons from Alex Micelli on order. So I can throw it in my "things people once thought were important, but actually weren't" box of collectibles. With My Jarret Wright Rookie card and Todd Marinovich Raiders jersey.
[/quote]

I think I have made my opinion clear in this and numerous other threads on the topic, dating back to summer.
I use a 33" putter with a 6 o'clock toe hang. I tried belly and long putters just to see what it is like and I could not see them helping in any way. And I do think they look ridiculous in the hands of golfers who are younger than, let's say, 60 years. They might even be detrimental to the image of professional golf with TV audiences, but frankly, I think that players like Kevin Stadler are more detrimental than long putters.
My gripe is with the fact that after decades, the ruling bodies just now find out that all of a sudden they think it is necessary to define a proper stroke, and they do so with a poor wording of the proposed new rule, which also has an impact on other playing situations than putting. It is so poor, that they don't even manage to let the rule speak for itself, but have to add examples and pictures, which, as I have mentioned before, is always a sign for extremely poor lawmaking. And I see that simply from a lawmaking perspective, which was my profession for a long time, before I became a judge, who now often has to deal with poorly worded laws.
I never considered long and belly putters a big deal or a danger to the game as we know it, at least much less so than the modern ball or driver technology. This is why I see a lot of hypocrisy in the road the R&A and the USGA have taken and why I don't like it.
That being said, I also fail to see the logic in the argument of the people who are against the ban, when they claim that it will drive people from the game. Maybe it is different in the US; but in Europe, I see no recreational players using long or belly putters. It really is an elite player phenomenon where I live.
So, yes, I think, they should have let the issue alone, or simply made an equipment rule. Everything would have been better than what they did now. Indignation and the feeling of "something has to be done quickly" are always bad counsellers when it comes to lawmaking, and that's exactly what happens. Certain people in the R&A were furious about what happened at The Open this year and jumpoed into action without thinking things through, and this sort of moronic heckling is just one of the effects, which should have been excpected with this proposal. I hope that the R&A and the USGA will at least, at the tournaments they themselves run in 2013, protect the players who still use long putters from such idiots.

I see a gap. There definitely is a gap.

[quote name='jnradioactive' timestamp='1354490286' post='6009217']
was outta town for a month did i miss anything good?
[/quote]

Yes, Graeme Mcdowell won the World Challenge

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Srixon ZX 19h w/PX hzrdus Red 80

Mizuno MP241 4-PW w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Mizuno MP24 52 w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Cleveland RTX6 60/10--Spinner

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Put the nail in the coffin of the Champions tour in one :stink: announcement.

----------------
Golf Jobs
Driver: Titleist TS3 9.5 w/ Tensei Blue 55 S
3W: Titleist 915F 15 w/ Diamana D+ 80 S
3H: Titleist 915H 21 w/ Diamana D+ 90 S
Irons: 4-GW Titleist T100 w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Wedge: Vokey SM8 54.10S TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Wedge: Vokey SM8 60.04L TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Ball: 2021 Titleist ProV1

spacer.png

[quote name='BenSnead' timestamp='1354570409' post='6013429']
[quote name='jnradioactive' timestamp='1354490529' post='6009233']
I think this sums up the pro [s]crutch [/s]I mean pro [i]anchoring[/i] crowds stance...

[/quote]
A pinnacle of hypocrisy.
There wouldn't be a ban without a bunch of selfish brats wailing, "Mommy, he won't do it rii-iight!'
[/quote]
There wouldn't be the need for a ban if people hadn't taken practice aids onto the course. ;)

Titleist Pro V1

[quote name='spooky' timestamp='1354581447' post='6014361']
[quote name='BenSnead' timestamp='1354570409' post='6013429']
[quote name='jnradioactive' timestamp='1354490529' post='6009233']
I think this sums up the pro [s]crutch [/s]I mean pro [i]anchoring[/i] crowds stance...

[/quote]
A pinnacle of hypocrisy.
There wouldn't be a ban without a bunch of selfish brats wailing, "Mommy, he won't do it rii-iight!'
[/quote]
There wouldn't be the need for a ban if people hadn't taken practice aids onto the course. ;)
[/quote]

Didn't think they had practice aids in the 1930s....

Of course they didn't...

Titleist Pro V1

[quote name='spooky' timestamp='1354581708' post='6014371']
Of course they didn't...
[/quote]
But, they did have golfers anchoring putters to their bodies, way back then, right spooky? Paul Runyan and Leo Diegel come to mind.....

R11S 8* square; Stock stiff
Maltby KE4 14* 3w , Axe Excaliber R flex tipped 1"
RBZ 25* hb; RBZstage 2 19* hb
Mizuno MP30 5 - PW, AXE Excaliber stiff, Hogan Apex PC E Wedge (50*) TT DG s300
GM Never Compromise GM2 putter
54*, 58* TM TP wedges 3* flat

[quote name='nbg352' timestamp='1354582370' post='6014415']
Of course they didn't...
[/quote]
But, they did have golfers anchoring putters to their bodies, way back then, right spooky? Paul Runyan and [b]Leo Diegel [/b]come to mind.....
[/quote]
I'm sure you have a relevant point to make?

And seriously? Diegel? Again? You can't keep putting that out there as if it is a fact when the only evidence seen shows that he didn't anchor...

Titleist Pro V1

[quote name='spooky' timestamp='1354582444' post='6014423']
Of course they didn't...
[/quote]
But, they did have golfers anchoring putters to their bodies, way back then, right spooky? Paul Runyan and [b]Leo Diegel [/b]come to mind.....
[/quote]

And seriously? Diegel? Again? You can't keep putting that out there as if it is a fact when the only evidence seen shows that he didn't anchor...
[/quote]
While the photo is inconclusive, it is inconclusive for both sides. To many it looks like he was anchoring. Runyan is a self admitted anchorer, though...in the 1930's.

[quote name='nbg352' timestamp='1354583392' post='6014515']
Of course they didn't...
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
While the photo is inconclusive, it is inconclusive for both sides. To many it looks like he was anchoring. Runyan is a self admitted anchorer, though...in the 1930's.
[/quote]
Judging a technique based on looks ngb? Hmmmmm... ;)

Titleist Pro V1

[quote name='spooky' timestamp='1354583555' post='6014529']
Of course they didn't...
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
LOL, its nbg,and no, not judging at all. That would suggest that I like it or don't. I feel neutral toward it, actually.Now the USGA, that's another story. I was blissfully ignorant of the fact that the look of that stroke was enough to ruin the future of golf. They kind enough to have straightened me right out on that one.....

[quote name='nbg352' timestamp='1354584008' post='6014573']
Of course they didn't...
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
LOL, its nbg,and no, not judging at all. That would suggest that I like it or don't. I feel neutral toward it, actually.Now the USGA, that's another story. I was blissfully ignorant of the fact that the look of that stroke was enough to ruin the future of golf. They kind enough to have straightened me right out on that one.....
[/quote]
Oops! I'm not going to move this in a serious direction about it not just being about looks... we'll run out of internet...

Titleist Pro V1

[quote name='spooky' timestamp='1354584224' post='6014587']
[quote name='nbg352' timestamp='1354584008' post='6014573']
Of course they didn't...
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
Oops! I'm not going to move this in a serious direction about it not just being about looks... we'll run out of internet...
[/quote]lol, I'm good with that, but get my name right, ok? My mom is probably rolling over in her grave right now......