2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

2013 TaylorMade R1 Driver: Review, Video and Pics

easyyy

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='dccbryan' timestamp='1360601443' post='6406689']
Tips look different to me....missing a graduated ridge in the middle.

dccbryan
[/quote]

they are different, but they still fit snug. like i said im not sure what difference there will be without the ridge in the middle, but they still fit...despite being different

Taylormade M4 8.5 Oban Kiyoshi White
Taylormade Aeroburner 15* Diamana S+ 72
Taylormade SLDR 17* Hybrid S+ 82
Taylormade P770 4-PW KBS Ctaper Lite
Taylormade Milled Grind 51* 55* 60*
Taylormade Spider Ghost

• 3 weeks later...

Got to hit this today, i will try and give an un-bias opinion. I am a little surprised so I will say that I will try it again for sure!

Real quick, I game a 07 Burner TP 65S, Not a good player to say the least but middle of the road I would assume, good days bad days, so the normal guy I guess.

I got to hit on a LM Today first time ever with a fitter. R1 55 S neutral settings, Hit 3 shots and pulled it, the weight threw me off a little so adjusted, got the dispersions down a little but it was still quite high, I tried switching out the shafts in hopes to get something closest to what I game for feel. so they had 65S. Gave that a shot and got a little better, the distance was not much greater was getting about 260-265 on the LM. I tried a couple more shots and it felt like I would at best get what I was getting with my current gamer, no big improvements. I know its a new club and would take some time but I thought I would be wowed a little.

My concerns that I had and please feel free to chime in as Im no constant poster and golf nut so I may not explain this the best but, the way if felt was like there was a beer can at the end of the shaft and when I hit the ball, the face felt like it was caving into the ball. It didnt feel good at all. When I fully swung through it, it felt like a dead thud, wasnt smooth like many other drivers, I know I was hitting it good, The feel just felt funny.

The other parts of concerns have been slightly echoed here but the graphics seemed busy a little distracting at setup, yes through the swing they disappear but for me to much going on a setup can be more distracting. Also, TM has made larger shaped clubs and sorry to say my personal preference it just seems large! The R11s and the RBZ the same. I just couldnt personally feel comfortable with such a large head.

One thing I will say that was nice was the sound, slightly muted but was pleasant it did instill confidence to hit it again and again trying to get a solid sound out of it.

Again the LM numbers didnt give me enough confidence to say that $300+ was worth the upgrade just yet. I could have had just bad test day and or maybe a bad club because of the feel. But again this was what I felt today. Hope this give some thoughts I wonder if I got a dead club or has others felt similar feelings?

TM - Stealth 1.0 - Rouge 70X
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 659CB PW-4 KBS120 S
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

why type of balls did you hit with? if they were limited flight that would explain the beer can feeling.

other then that....thats not a feeling i want in my driver for sure. but i havent had that problem with mine

Taylormade Spider Ghost

[quote name='Caesar Palache' timestamp='1362286671' post='6537049']
why type of balls did you hit with? if they were limited flight that would explain the beer can feeling.

other then that....thats not a feeling i want in my driver for sure. but i havent had that problem with mine
[/quote]

I was hoping you would respond CP as Id assume you had some good experience with it already, BTW I am a pretty big TM fan so I really wanted this club to work =). In any case it was a mix of balls at the store, Pro V1's couple of Nikes etc no 60 - compression Range balls for sure

Yeah it was really wierd I asked the guy too, and he said the club was fine, again I know I will go back as about 6 guys from my club all bought them and swear by it, I have seen it in action, it flies straight, launches low a but looked great , I generally hit a lot longer than the guys in my club 50-100+ yard though so you dont get to see the spraying as much as I do once in a while.

Well just curious if its just a personal feeling or if others have noticed it too in comparison to their gamers and older drivers....again I havent switched from my 07 TP as it aint broke dont fix it mentality but tech has changed quite a bit and I would be a fool not to take advantage of it!

TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

[quote name='Exactice808' timestamp='1362287122' post='6537079']

[/quote]

I was hoping you would respond CP as Id assume you had some good experience with it already, BTW I am a pretty big TM fan so I really wanted this club to work =). In any case it was a mix of balls at the store, Pro V1's couple of Nikes etc no 60 - compression Range balls for sure

Yeah it was really wierd I asked the guy too, and he said the club was fine, again I know I will go back as about 6 guys from my club all bought them and swear by it, I have seen it in action, it flies straight, launches low a but looked great , I generally hit a lot longer than the guys in my club 50-100+ yard though so you dont get to see the spraying as much as I do once in a while.

Well just curious if its just a personal feeling or if others have noticed it too in comparison to their gamers and older drivers....again I havent switched from my 07 TP as it aint broke dont fix it mentality but tech has changed quite a bit and I would be a fool not to take advantage of it!
[/quote]

ok so ball wise, were fine.

im going to lean towards personal feeling. you may just not have been a fan of the way the R1 feels. to me it feels good...but not the best. i think the stage 2 feels better. as well as some other drivers on the market. but i dont get the bad feeling, just not a o my goodness that feels great feeling.

was the shaft a good fit when you went in the 65? when i was swinging with the 55g phenom i couldnt stand the "soupy" feel, just felt awkward with the light shaft. i dont know why i think it felt soupy but thats the word that popped into my head. kinda like a muddy splat. anyway maybe that the beer can feeling your talking about. once i went to a heavier shaft i found it to feel much better, but as i said i still like the feel of other drivers more.

Taylormade Spider Ghost

[quote name='Caesar Palache' timestamp='1362287705' post='6537123']
[quote name='Exactice808' timestamp='1362287122' post='6537079']

[/quote]

[/quote]

ok so ball wise, were fine.

im going to lean towards personal feeling. you may just not have been a fan of the way the R1 feels. to me it feels good...but not the best. i think the stage 2 feels better. as well as some other drivers on the market. but i dont get the bad feeling, just not a o my goodness that feels great feeling.

was the shaft a good fit when you went in the 65? when i was swinging with the 55g phenom i couldnt stand the "soupy" feel, just felt awkward with the light shaft. i dont know why i think it felt soupy but thats the word that popped into my head. kinda like a muddy splat. anyway maybe that the beer can feeling your talking about. once i went to a heavier shaft i found it to feel much better, but as i said i still like the feel of other drivers more.
[/quote]

Switching shafts helped my shot dispersion and distance, but feel was still funky...but thank you for the validation that the feel is a little "unique" again Im not the strongest of players but I have been improving quite well in the last 2-3months and I think I am grasping the concept. I have noticed that feel has been a big importance as I understand what the club is doing and why I am playing well or terrible hahaah. Any case I will try again in a couple of days, maybe it was bad chinese food or something that threw it off!

TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

[quote name='mjmurphy' timestamp='1362539429' post='6555415']
Does anyone know if the Motore Speeder Tour Spec comes with the aftermarket graphics when you order direct from TMAG?
[/quote]

This is what I have seen:

[attachment=1571887:tour spec speeder.jpg]

Twitter: @Ed_Settle        My WITB
Driver:           Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9.0 +2 GD Tour AD HD 6X
Fairway:        Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 3W/15*  Tensei Wht AV 70S

Utility W:         Callaway UW 19* HZRDUS Black RDX 6.0 S
Hybrid:          Callaway Apex Pro 4/21* KBS Hybrid 85S

Irons:             Callaway X Forged Star 5-PW Modus 105 S
Wedges:       Callaway Jaws Raw 48S/53W/58Z DG S200 
Putter:           2022 Toulon Design Small Batch Austin 34" 

Ball:               2022 Callaway CSX LS
Bag:               VESSEL Blk Lux Cart Bag 14 way   

[quote name='2659edward' timestamp='1362541575' post='6555639']
Does anyone know if the Motore Speeder Tour Spec comes with the aftermarket graphics when you order direct from TMAG?
[/quote]

[/quote]

That is what I have seen too.

[quote name='TheMoneyShot' timestamp='1362542806' post='6555747']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

+3

I have had my R1 now since jan 15th. Had a R11s before this. I loved my R11s. But I really like This R1. Too keep it short and sweet it gives me more carry (couple of yards). But the big thing I have gotten is more roll the club it does produce more spin for sure. I have gained over 10 yards ave drive now is 262. Anyway that's my take.

[quote name='TMBob' timestamp='1362552071' post='6556367']
[quote name='TheMoneyShot' timestamp='1362542806' post='6555747']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

+3
[/quote]

I just spoke with a rep at TMAG and he said it will come with the aftermarket graphics. I guess we will see when mine comes in. He said the shafts in the fitting carts will be painted with R1 graphics.

[quote name='clippernate' timestamp='1362554904' post='6556423']
I have had my R1 now since jan 15th. Had a R11s before this. I loved my R11s. But I really like This R1. Too keep it short and sweet it gives me more carry (couple of yards). But the big thing I have gotten is more roll the club it does produce more spin for sure. I have gained over 10 yards ave drive now is 262. Anyway that's my take.
[/quote]

You mean "less spin" don't you?

I am in the same boat as you coming from a R11s, but unsure if I have gained that much till I see firmer conditions

Just gonna throw my 2 cents in here. So i went to dicks to test out the R1 on their simulator. I currently use a Nike SQ machspeed. (the round one not the square) and my average drive is between 265-280. I got to dicks, grabbed a S flex Aldila S flex and a Matrix X flex. I had a ball speed between 155 and 165 so im right in the middle between both shafts. I messed around ALOT with the tunes because I kept drawing the ball. Which isnt a bad thing, but it isnt my normal ball flight. So after a half hour of being there i averaged about 280-297 I cranked one 300 yards. SO i will definitely be purchasing. I think i will go with the aldila driver. My only regret was after i got home, i seen that you can set the weights up to draw or in neutral. I'm guessing they had the weight set up in the draw positions and the weights were the only thing I didn't touch on the club. so if you go test it and notice you are drawing the ball alot more, it could be because of the weights. but other than that its a great feeling club and mine is already in the mail! :taunt:

[quote name='aatonytone' timestamp='1362666484' post='6563415']
Just gonna throw my 2 cents in here. So i went to dicks to test out the R1 on their simulator. I currently use a Nike SQ machspeed. (the round one not the square) and my average drive is between 265-280. I got to dicks, grabbed a S flex Aldila S flex and a Matrix X flex. I had a ball speed between 155 and 165 so im right in the middle between both shafts. I messed around ALOT with the tunes because I kept drawing the ball. Which isnt a bad thing, but it isnt my normal ball flight. So after a half hour of being there i averaged about 280-297 I cranked one 300 yards. SO i will definitely be purchasing. I think i will go with the aldila driver. My only regret was after i got home, i seen that you can set the weights up to draw or in neutral. I'm guessing they had the weight set up in the draw positions and the weights were the only thing I didn't touch on the club. so if you go test it and notice you are drawing the ball alot more, it could be because of the weights. but other than that its a great feeling club and mine is already in the mail! :taunt:
[/quote]

Yes, the standard setting, 10 grams in the heel and 1 gram in the toe, is a draw shot shape. Swapping those should make it more neutral. And TM weights from the R series drivers will work in this head, making for lots of combinations.

[/quote]

When you say you tried the aldila and the matrix it makes it sound like you are testing the RFE. Does the R1 have a matrix shaft option off the shelf?

[quote name='2659edward' timestamp='1362667215' post='6563487']
[/quote]

Yes, the standard setting, 10 grams in the heel and 1 gram in the toe, is a draw shot shape. Swapping those should make it more neutral. And TM weights from the R series drivers will work in this head, making for lots of combinations.
[/quote]

I think you got it backwards. Standard setting is 10g in toe 1g in heal when it comes from TM. That's the stock neutral setting and they said during robot testing they saw slightly higher ball speeds with 10g in the toe. Since we aren't robots not sure how much that will effect us.

Butttt if the ball kept drawing you are probably right and the weights were switched. Though I found that I can miss left with the best of them with the R1.

Taylormade Spider Ghost

You are right CP, my head came arrived with 10 grams in the heel/ 1gram in the toe and made a bad assumption that was the standard setting.

[quote name='2659edward' timestamp='1362670130' post='6563799']
You are right CP, my head came arrived with 10 grams in the heel/ 1gram in the toe and made a bad assumption that was the standard setting.
[/quote]

It happens. But your probably right about the weights being in the draw setting. Messing around I actually found a great balance with 1g in the heal and 4g in the toe. Just had to add some hot melt to get the weight back up.

Taylormade Spider Ghost

• 4 weeks later...

Was playing the 913 D2 with mixed results. Had some gift cards and traded in a couple of clubs and bought the R1 (with stock 55g shaft) for $9. Figured I'd spend a few hundred and get a good shaft (GD DI or the Kiyoshi White) and end up paying what the R1 TP would have cost me without gift cards. But, after tuning the club with the stock shaft, and as long as I choke up on the club 1/2", I'm getting better results than I was with the 913 D2...hitting it further with much better dispersion. I really like the head. It seems to reduce sidespin and results in less distance loss on off-center hits compared to the 913 D2.

Now I don't know whether to be satisfied with the excellent performance I'm getting now with the stock shaft (especially since I'm only out of pocket $9) or if I should spend $300-400 and get a better shaft. Does anybody know if TMAG will use the same tip with their next generation driver (in which case I'll likely buy a new shaft) or if they'll change it like they did with the R11s and then the R1?

Ping G430 LST 10.5* Tour Black 2.0 65X

Titleist TSr2+ 13* Diamana D+ Limited 80X

Titleist TSr2 16.5* Diamana D+ Limited 80X
Titleist TSi2 21* Speeder HB 8.8 TS
Ping G430 5-UW Steelfiber i80S
Ping Glide 2.0 SS 54* Steelfiber i80S

Cleveland CBX 2 60* DG 115
Scottie Super Select Squareback 2

Titleist AVX/Bridgestone BRX

[quote name='Caesar Palache' timestamp='1362670423' post='6563833']
[quote name='2659edward' timestamp='1362670130' post='6563799']
[/quote]

It happens. But your probably right about the weights being in the draw setting. Messing around I actually found a great balance with 1g in the heal and 4g in the toe. Just had to add some hot melt to get the weight back up.
[/quote]

6g in toe for me 1g in heel.....

Its an interesting thread, re the OP's perception of 'feel'. Obviously for some Golfers, a Club will feel different to somebody else, and I think the 'problem' is here, is the Driver the OP is using. That 2007 Burner TP gives a very buttery feel off the face so these new 'faster' feeling Driver most OEM's are bringing out this year are generally just an attempt to give the impression the ball is coming off the face quicker. Its testament to the fact that Drivers are reaching their technical limits under the current rules of Golf. So they have had to resort to giving the impression of speed through sound/feel. ~Once this goes into the realms of feel, we are obviously talking of subjective issues, and some Golfers will not enjoys the sound/feel of these new Drivers.

I have a 913 D2, and coming from the 910, the 913 has never cemented itself in my bag and its not endeared itself well to me, in terms of feel. My 913 is now for sale, because at the weekend I picked up a Club in the Used 'bin' at my local golf range as it gave me the feel and performance that far exceeded the 913. That club? A Taylormade Burner 2007!!!I Ironic.

I ordered the R1 TP w/Matrix 7M3 Black Tie, coming from a Rapture V2 9deg w/BB 63S. I have hit the R1 2 times indoors and both felt very good and the Trackman numbers were good(lower spin and lower launch). It felt solid, not Titleist solid, but I like the change and the lower ball flight I am getting from the Black Tie. I also picked up a 4g and 6g weight and have the 4g in the toe and 10g in the heel...hopefully it produces as well outdoors when the snow melts!

The main thing to note if you are going with the Black Tie is that is does come at a standard length of 44.75", not 45.5". I had my pro call TM Cust Serv to confirm and they did, just to make sure there wasn't a mixup...so buyer beware. It worked out because I wanted a 45" driver and planned to cut it down anyways, but was a little shocked when the driver arrived.

FYI: SS of 103-108, X100 in all irons

TM R1 w/7M3
Adams Tight Lies 16*
Adams IdeaPro 18*
Callaway Apex Pro 4-P w/PXI 6.0
WITB Link
Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V1x

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just bought this driver today. R1, 55g Stiff Shaft. The fitter at GolfTec (awful experience) only had the stiff shaft and it worked well for me. Then went to golfsmith and tried the M, R, and S. The Stiff performed the best, but the R was close so I went with the S figuring if I gain some SS I can grow into it. I'm a 13-15 handicap with a 90 mph SS. My 910D2 was averaging around 210-225 yards.

Pros
25 yards more total distance than my 910D2
15 yards more carry than my 910D2
Tighter dispersion (per GC2 910D2 was -35, R1 was -20, yes I'm a hooker)

Cons
Not crazy about the sounds at impact
The graphics are a wee bit overkill

All said, I can overlook the sound and graphics for the performance. I literally tried every demo driver in GolfSmith before I settled on the R1 and the R1 outperformed all of the drivers on distance except the Nike Covert Tour which was really close, but my dispersion with the Nike was -40... just too many big hooks. Probably could have tweaked the Nike a little to fix that, but I'm very happy with the R1.