2013 TaylorMade R1 Driver: Review, Video and Pics

easyyy

[quote name='HackerDav31' timestamp='1358746150' post='6268773']
Looks like another tour win for the R1 today by Brian Gay. Ironically Donaldson won with a TM driver in Dubai... a Burner Superfast! Just goes to show you its all about personal preference and what works for you!
[/quote]Sure he did but it's a totally different driver, R1 v2...BB

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Big Ben' timestamp='1358773508' post='6269455']
Looks lie another tour win for the R1 today by Brian Gay. Ironically Donaldson won with a TM driver in Dubai... a Burner Superfast! Just goes to show you its all about personal preference and what works for you!
[/quote]

Pretty sure Brian Gay used the R1 Super TP......regardless a pro using smaller version successfully still bodes well for THIS driver!

Deceptive marketing, consumer buys the emperiors new cloths when the Pro's use a different tech all together, well done. When the tour players use one size fits all I will give the devil there due. Until then this debate loops in an endless circle...BB

[quote name='TMAG FIREMEDIC' timestamp='1358775566' post='6269575']
Looks lie another tour win for the R1 today by Brian Gay. Ironically Donaldson won with a TM driver in Dubai... a Burner Superfast! Just goes to show you its all about personal preference and what works for you!
[/quote]

Pretty sure Brian Gay used the R1 Super TP......regardless a pro using smaller version successfully still bodes well for THIS driver!
[/quote]

He used a v2 with a Kiyoshi white...the Super Duper TP? :)

[quote name='Riuzzi' timestamp='1358778841' post='6269823']
[/quote]

[/quote]

He used a v2 with a Kiyoshi white...the Super Duper TP? :)
[/quote]

Hehehe!

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yes it does. 2 wins in 3 weeks!!! TM is going to be on fire at the PGA show this week!

[quote name='TheMoneyShot' timestamp='1358780031' post='6269963']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Yes it does. 2 wins in 3 weeks!!! TM is going to be on fire at the PGA show this week!
[/quote]

Ill see if they give me a v2 at the show haha. But yeah I can't imagine a better start for tmag. 2 R1 wins. 1 with the bladez tours. Rosie almost won with the lethal. Not to mention a champions tour win with the R1

Taylormade M4 8.5 Oban Kiyoshi White
Taylormade Aeroburner 15* Diamana S+ 72
Taylormade SLDR 17* Hybrid S+ 82
Taylormade P770 4-PW KBS Ctaper Lite
Taylormade Milled Grind 51* 55* 60*
Taylormade Spider Ghost

[quote name='Caesar Palache' timestamp='1358781346' post='6270125']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Ill see if they give me a v2 at the show haha. But yeah I can't imagine a better start for tmag. 2 R1 wins. 1 with the bladez tours. Rosie almost won with the lethal. Not to mention a champions tour win with the R1
[/quote]

Hold up! So I'll get a driver@ the show!? This is better than expected......

may have missed this, but are the upcharge shafts going to be OEM graphics?

Callaway Fusion 9* KK XT
Callaway Fusion 15* VTS Black
Callaway Steelhead XR Heavenwood 20.5* Tensei CK Blue
Mizuno JPX EZ 4 Aldila RIP SLT 115
Mizuno JPX EZ Forged 5-P Adila RIP SLT 115
Cleveland CBX 50 Aldila RIP SLT 115
Cleveland CBX 54 Aldila RIP SLT 115
Cleveland RTX-3 V-MG 58 Aldila RIP 115
MannKrafted Putter Du Jour

[quote name='Caesar Palache' timestamp='1358781346' post='6270125']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

TM is definitely on fire right now and at a perfect time too. Their new products will have even more hype now!

I gave the retail R1 a shot today, it looked as bad as it felt. The Ping G25 and Titleist 913D3 gave me the best numbers. The Nike and TM slowest ball speeds, just didn't feel right...BB

[quote name='Big Ben' timestamp='1358820565' post='6273917']
I gave the retail R1 a shot today, it looked as bad as it felt. The Ping G25 and Titleist 913D3 gave me the best numbers. The Nike and TM slowest ball speeds, just didn't feel right...BB
[/quote]

I found the same, sans the ping, I didn't hit that.

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

[quote name='drbonesvt' timestamp='1358820798' post='6273933']
[/quote]

I found the same, sans the ping, I didn't hit that.
[/quote]

weird ive heard the Nike has given some people great numbers

Taylormade Spider Ghost

[/quote]

of course you didn't have good numbers. you've have nothing good to say about the R1. if you don't go in with an open mind then its a useless post. tell me know though, do tour players use the retail R1? I'm not sure you've covered that area yet...f

Actually not true, If the retail R1 performed for me I would absolutely comment about it but it didn't sorry. Please read a few of my Editors Reviews, I think you will find I have a very open mind...BB

[quote name='Big Ben' timestamp='1358824456' post='6274305']
Actually not true, If the retail R1 performed for me I would absolutely comment about it but it didn't sorry. Please read a few of my Editors Reviews, I think you will find I have a very open mind...BB
[/quote]

BB i understand why fulton is saying what hes saying....but i appreciate your genuine response to the R1 not working you and its too bad it didn't. i believe your telling the truth in the fact it didnt work for you even though i know your not a big fan, i know it you got good numbers youd tell the truth. i havent hit the G25 yet but i hit the anser and was pretty disapointed, i really wanted to like that driver but it just didnt work for me. glad to hear the G25 worked well for you, hopefully the G25 will work better then the anser did for me

but lucky for me the R1 has worked fairly well for me

Taylormade Spider Ghost

[quote name='Caesar Palache' timestamp='1358824914' post='6274363']
[/quote]

BB i understand why fulton is saying what hes saying....but i appreciate your genuine response to the R1 not working you and its too bad it didn't. i believe your telling the truth in the fact it didnt work for you even though i know your not a big fan, i know it you got good numbers youd tell the truth. i havent hit the G25 yet but i hit the anser and was pretty disapointed, i really wanted to like that driver but it just didnt work for me. glad to hear the G25 worked well for you, hopefully the G25 will work better then the anser did for me

[/quote]Honestly I was hoping it would, just too easy and most of all FUN to have this level of adjustability. I'm not done with this one yet however, I look forward to real world testing at a local demo day with more shaft options before I proclaim her a failure FOR ME. Not every driver will work for every player and everyone is entitled to there opinion. I absolutely have been critical about this tech and I truly do not like the graphics BUT the rubber meets the road when I test equipment and I will always offer my honest assessment...BB

[quote name='Big Ben' timestamp='1358825314' post='6274389']
[quote name='Caesar Palache' timestamp='1358824914' post='6274363']
[/quote]

[/quote]Honestly I was hoping it would, just too easy and most of all FUN to have this level of adjustability. I'm not done with this one yet however, I look forward to real world testing at a local demo day with more shaft options before I proclaim her a failure FOR ME. [b]Not every driver will work for every player[/b] and everyone is entitled to there honest opinion...BB
[/quote]

exactly, the anser did work well for me but it doesnt mean its a a bad driver, i blame a missfit shaft. when i first hit the R1 i gained like 2 yards with the stock phenom shaft, i was 75% sold that it would be a good club to switch to...only because i thought i could gain alot more with a better shaft. now ive gone from phenom, to kaili, now into oban devotion and i think i finally found a really good combo, my launch is way down with the oban. its all about getting that right fit. hope you find a good shaft for the R1 and get a good feel for it

Taylormade Spider Ghost

I hit the big 5 drivers for this year and the R1 was far and away the worst performing (with phenom, which I love) and it felt very hard. Not a fan. I actually was hoping it would be a good club - I thought the RBZ Stage 2 was better. The covert, 913, RFE, and G25 were all superior with ANY shaft.

TMAG - 2 wins on Tour this years with an R1 you can't buy. I'd gladly take the 913 that Charles Howell was using in the playoff.

Callaway 816 DBD 9° Speeder TS
Titleist 915f 15° Diamana Blue
Callaway Apex Pro hybrid 3/20°
Callaway Apex Pro '16 4-A, Modus 120-TS
Vokey 50/54/60
Odyssey Works Rossie

Coming from an R11s I am pretty baffled at the hype around the R1. I didn't hit the Stage 2, but I have TM MC irons and an Adams 3w, so I don't mind TM/Adidas.

But the R1 just felt like any other TM driver and really didn't perform any better than anything else. Same distance, same loud sound, fairly disconnected impact feel, and man with the new paint job it makes the thing look longer face to rear than ever.

TMAG has the same problem that they had with the R11s. Some feel great and sound muted, and some are ringing ear-shattering LOUD. We also noticed performance variance. My retailer has a several demo heads and we tried them all with the TP stiff Phenom and one particular head was quiet - sounded like a splat when you hit it not unlike the PING i20.

The other R1 heads were loud and obnoxious (again - all with same shaft). Painful to hit and a completely hard feel. We sorted the heads based on performance and the quiet head was almost illegally LOOONG distance. Great numbers and quiet. The loud few were all different in distance but not as good as the quiet one by any means. Not even in the same category as the individual head.

I almost drank the kook-aid today. After realizing that the majority were bad I said forget it. If you buy one, hit a few and find that oddball that is long.

Vokey 50/54/60
Odyssey Works Rossie

[quote name='Golfjunki71' timestamp='1358873186' post='6276661']
I compared to d3, Anser, g25, RFX and the r1 was dead last and same bad feel and sound as the r11s. The Rbz is a better driver.
[/quote]

This is true - the R1 is harsh.

Vokey 50/54/60
Odyssey Works Rossie

I am confident enough to proclaim the R1 a dud. I have seen it (It's Oprah without makeup ugly) I heard it (it sounds like Brittany Spears) bad, I hit it (feels like crap). It's junk!!!! If you want to love it because you believe the hype, than believe it. If you really did give other OEMs a fair shot and the R1 is what fits you best and you ENJOY playing it, than more power to you. I hope you hit it well.

They will sell this year, but not as many as last year, next year it will sell even less. In 3-5 years TMAG will not dominate the driver sales if they keep releasing poor performing equipment. They have to get back to their roots and release quality equipment that the pros are using. Not white, no ugly paint, not horrible sounding, just make it perform.

Haha sounds like someone needs to start a "R1 and TM sucks!" thread for all you guys to voice your displeasure. Sorry it didn't work for you guys. But becareful, the Anser didn't work for me but that doesn't make it a poor driver.

Hope you guys find something good to play this year.

Taylormade Spider Ghost

[quote name='station2station' timestamp='1358904095' post='6279807']
I compared to d3, Anser, g25, RFX and the r1 was dead last and same bad feel and sound as the r11s. The Rbz is a better driver.
[/quote]

[/quote]

of course its harsh and sounds awful when you can't hit the middle of the club face.

[quote name='fulton' timestamp='1358906655' post='6280037']
[quote name='station2station' timestamp='1358904095' post='6279807']
[/quote]

[/quote]

of course its harsh and sounds awful when you can't hit the middle of the club face.
[/quote]

Whatever buddy. At least we gave it a shot. Let us know your opinions.

Vokey 50/54/60
Odyssey Works Rossie

[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1358906141' post='6279987']
I don't think TM sucks, I think they lost their way. I hope that once their driver sales fall they come back to reality. Because the R1 and Stage 2 are not reality.
[/quote]

I have heard nothing bad about the stage 2 besides the crown graphics. Reviews so far are easier to hit off the deck than the first one. I liked it better than the rbz tour when I hit it.

What don't you like about it scratchswinger?

Ping G400 LST HZRDUS Black tipped .5 9'
Taylormade M1 (2016) 15 Fubuki Z S
Rocketballz 19' ATX Green S
X2Hot 22' ATX Green S
Callaway Apex Pro (2014) C-tapers S
Mackdaddy 2's 52 and 58 C-Tapers R
James Ingles Scratch Handmande