2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

2013 TaylorMade R1 Driver: Review, Video and Pics

easyyy

Correct and I don't think one size fits all benefits the consumer one bit, it has design flaws so my concern is equal opportunity...BB

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='HackerDav31' timestamp='1357685519' post='6192903']
I wasn't implying it was a retail version. Just that he won with an R1... I'd still venture to guess that Nike will be doing the same thing with their loft adjustable technology too right?
[/quote]
Hard to say. TM submitted conforming heads of V2 based on the specific lofts (8.5, 10, 11.5). All the Nike conforming heads are just listed as "8". Either there's some wiggle room in the conforming list and how specs are submitted, or all the Nike guys are playing the same head (Covert and Covert Tour, right and left handed, are all listed at 8).

Of note: the stated specs for Nike's FlexLoft system said 8.5-12.5. Is the 8 just a "default" number they put in, or are the heads the Tour guys are playing different (I doubt Carl, Nick and Kyle were all rockin' 8 degrees)?

I think it's pretty cool that DJ won the first time out with the R1. Didn't Pat Perez do the same thing with the R11?

I hope TMAG doesn't use this as leverage to over charge golfers and trick them into thinking they are getting DJ's driver for an inflated price. They are already over charging the Super TP by $200 and using completly different heads on tour than they sell for $400 at stores.

[quote name='Big Ben' timestamp='1357644381' post='6189193']
There is no way one size fits all on Tour, let Tour Issue V2 hype begin! BB
[/quote]

DJ's win, like the shots fired at fort Sumter sc, let the shooting begin

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1357687047' post='6193075']
I think it's pretty cool that DJ won the first time out with the R1. Didn't Pat Perez do the same thing with the R11?

I hope TMAG doesn't use this as leverage to over charge golfers and trick them into thinking they are getting DJ's driver for an inflated price. They are already over charging the Super TP by $200 and using completly different heads on tour than they sell for $400 at stores.
[/quote]
But thats what TMAG does. And so many eat it up.

Truthfully the average joe might also be alienated because they can't use there favorite shafts and its STILL really ugly...BB

[quote name='WVP' timestamp='1357669295' post='6191187']
Is the suspicion that Taylormade offers the different heads for their tour staff as to not compromise bulge and roll design, gear effect, COG location....etc? And that their opinion may be that a properly fit retail R1 driver should be more than adequate for the amateur?
[/quote]

This is interesting could you elaborate further - I'm fully aware about the difference between tour and retail ( I don't want to touch that) but the bulge and roll design?

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

[quote name='Caesar Palache' timestamp='1357662271' post='6190455']
[quote name='TheDarkOne' timestamp='1357662188' post='6190443']
[quote name='Caesar Palache' timestamp='1357658583' post='6190061']
but its no big deal, tour players dont need that sleeve, they dial it in and keep it set. im assuming the have seprate lofts because of the face angle changes theyd get dropping it to 8* from 10*, the face would open 4*. i assume theyd rather not have to deal with the face angle change so drastically.
[/quote]

Why would they not use the compass the correct the face angle?
[/quote]

they would, but if they drop it to 8* its now 4* open, lets say for some reason they like playing is 1* closed or even just square. they cant get it there, they can only get it back to 1* open.
[/quote]
Actually isn't it 1.5* open = 1* less loft? I've toyed around with my R11S set to lowest loft and face plate o+. Can you say no snap hooks? :D

Ping G425 Max 9* Venus Red TR 5 Stiff

Ping G410 5 Wood Aldila Rogue 130MSI 80 X

Ping G430 Max 7 Wood VA Composites Drago 65 Stiff

Ping G425 Max 9 wood Ventus Blus 7S

Ping G710 5-PW KBS Tour

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Anser 2

[quote name='drbonesvt' timestamp='1357687529' post='6193135']
[quote name='WVP' timestamp='1357669295' post='6191187']
Is the suspicion that Taylormade offers the different heads for their tour staff as to not compromise bulge and roll design, gear effect, COG location....etc? And that their opinion may be that a properly fit retail R1 driver should be more than adequate for the amateur?
[/quote]

This is interesting could you elaborate further - I'm fully aware about the difference between tour and retail ( I don't want to touch that) but the bulge and roll design?
[/quote]

Well, my post was more of a question than a statement, as to why there might be single loft heads on tour instead of the retail "uni-loft" head. I have an engineering degree but I'm no golf club designer. I do know that engineering and club design theory makes the face a very specific shape and places the COG in a very specific place. Perhaps turning the head 4 degrees may not be as optimal as a head specifically designed for that one loft? I'd actually like one of the OEM's or Wishon to comment on that since it has been questioned here since all of these new 2013 heads have been released.

Taylormade SIM Max  – 10.5°
Taylormade M4  – 16.5°
Titleist 818H1 - 22.5°
Titleist AP1 718 – 4-P
Titleist AP1 718 – 48°
Cleveland CBX – 54°
Taylormade EF – 60° 
Ping Vault 2.0 Craz-E H   

[quote name='Big Ben' timestamp='1357687377' post='6193123']
Truthfully the average joe might also be alienated because they can't use there favorite shafts and its STILL really ugly...BB
[/quote]

i don't think the average joe has a favorite shaft

i recall seeing a few club fitters talk about how the loft of the club is more important than the shaft so maybe TM's angle is that let's get you fitted into the correct loft and don't worry about the shaft. Oh by the way, this is also the same driver that DJ used to win last week. The average joe eats that stuff up (i know my friends do and they are the average joe in terms of buying golf equipment)

Titleist TR2 - Graphite design DI

Titleist Tsi2 - 15*

Callaway Apex 20*

Srixon ZX 7 4-PW

Cleveland Zipcore 54* & 58*

Odyssey #7 CH

By point is directed towards guys who have collected shafts and until now could use them in multiple generation heads. In regards to bulge and roll, it wasn't that long ago that each specific loft had its own face dynamics so how has TM and Nike managed to retrofit optimal face geometry to multiple lofts? I'm guessing the same way they have managed to de-couple lie/loft, its called smoke and mirrors. I'm with WVP, I would like to know how or I will always be sceptical that one size fits all is NOT even possible to optimize. If not then this is purely done as a retailer/manufacturer friendly product (insert horrifying graphics) with nothing but marketing to sway the consumer. I have possed these questions MULTIPLE TIMES in ALL of these threads with no sustantive answers past I PLAY TM, DJ...BANG ON CHEST! So let's hear from a TM engineer how this actually works, I know you are reading these threads and sticking pins in BigBen voodoo dolls, prove me wrong and I be buy (and paint) a R1. Never the irons though, man they feel awful...BB

[quote name='sbjinx' timestamp='1357692782' post='6193625']
[quote name='Big Ben' timestamp='1357687377' post='6193123']
[/quote]

i don't think the average joe has a favorite shaft

i recall seeing a few club fitters talk about how the loft of the club is more important than the shaft so maybe TM's angle is that let's get you fitted into the correct loft and don't worry about the shaft. Oh by the way, this is also the same driver that DJ used to win last week. The average joe eats that stuff up (i know my friends do and they are the average joe in terms of buying golf equipment)
[/quote]

Absolutely spot on

I was ignorant until about 1.5 years ago........I tried what was available only in the store. Thanks WRX, in the last 1.5 yrs Ive bought and sold more clubs, in that year and a half than the 15 prior years I had clubs.

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

[quote name='HackerDav31' timestamp='1357685519' post='6192903']
I wasn't implying it was a retail version. Just that he won with an R1... I'd still venture to guess that Nike will be doing the same thing with their loft adjustable technology too right?

[quote name='Big Ben' timestamp='1357685339' post='6192885']
[quote name='HackerDav31' timestamp='1357684162' post='6192763']
DJ just won with it...
[/quote]Correct, a Version 2 driver with his exact specs NOT one size fits all, it's a completely different driver. BB
[/quote]
[/quote]

Good question....will Nike be doing the same? Multi-loft for the Tour and a single flex-loft for retail?

[quote name='Big Ben' timestamp='1357681490' post='6192523']
[quote name='Caesar Palache' timestamp='1357656492' post='6189827']
[quote name='TheMoneyShot' timestamp='1357654804' post='6189671']
[quote name='tbowles411' timestamp='1357648078' post='6189293']
[quote name='TheDarkOne' timestamp='1357647473' post='6189275']
Yeah something is going on. V2 already? At the first event???
[/quote]
It's a smaller head.
[/quote]

Yup. TM always makes a V2 "smaller tour issued" head with every driver release, nothing new.
[/quote]

tour pros dont need the max forgiveness of a 460 head, theyd rather have a 420-440
[/quote]That's just garbage Caesar, they are playing the V2 because it's a totally different driver with there specific loft not one size fits all, please...BB
[/quote]

jeeze sorry didnt mean to post garbage.

as i stated in another post
80% of players play the wrong loft
0% of pros do, so yes they can have their own special driver, they are better then us. they dont play a V2 because its totally different, they play a V2 because they like the smaller head and specific loft, thats all it is. it has nothing to do with being a totally different driver

[quote name='mosesgolf' timestamp='1357690595' post='6193399']
[quote name='Caesar Palache' timestamp='1357662271' post='6190455']
[quote name='TheDarkOne' timestamp='1357662188' post='6190443']
[quote name='Caesar Palache' timestamp='1357658583' post='6190061']
but its no big deal, tour players dont need that sleeve, they dial it in and keep it set. im assuming the have seprate lofts because of the face angle changes theyd get dropping it to 8* from 10*, the face would open 4*. i assume theyd rather not have to deal with the face angle change so drastically.
[/quote]

Why would they not use the compass the correct the face angle?
[/quote]

they would, but if they drop it to 8* its now 4* open, lets say for some reason they like playing is 1* closed or even just square. they cant get it there, they can only get it back to 1* open.
[/quote]
Actually isn't it 1.5* open = 1* less loft? I've toyed around with my R11S set to lowest loft and face plate o+. Can you say no snap hooks? :D
[/quote]

its 2* less loft, therefore 4* open. the R1 comes at 10* from the factory and then adjusts from there. 1* of loft change=2* of face angle change

Taylormade M4 8.5 Oban Kiyoshi White
Taylormade Aeroburner 15* Diamana S+ 72
Taylormade SLDR 17* Hybrid S+ 82
Taylormade P770 4-PW KBS Ctaper Lite
Taylormade Milled Grind 51* 55* 60*
Taylormade Spider Ghost

[quote name='Caesar Palache' timestamp='1357697231' post='6194149']
0% of pros do, so yes they can have their own special driver, they are better then us. [b]they dont play a V2 because its totally different, they play a V2 because they like the smaller head and specific loft, thats all it is. it has nothing to do with being a totally different driver[/b]
[/quote]

Caesar, I think the question remains here.....if all they wanted is a smaller head then technically Taylormade could have made one 420 cc head with the same range of loft adjustments as the retail. But that doesn't seem to be the case.

Of course they can have their own special tour versions but in this specific case what does that mean for the retail model?

Taylormade M4  – 16.5°
Titleist 818H1 - 22.5°
Titleist AP1 718 – 4-P
Titleist AP1 718 – 48°
Cleveland CBX – 54°
Taylormade EF – 60° 
Ping Vault 2.0 Craz-E H   

Well that didn't take long... TM trying to capitalize on the DJ win. 400+ what? Inches? They need another level of editing before things go up.

Solid win for him and TM couldn't have asked for better timing.

Titleist TSi3 9* - Tensei Blue 60 TX
Titleist TS2 15* - D+ LTD 70X
Titleist TSi2 21* - Tensei White 80X

Srixon Z785 4i, Miura MC-501 5-PW - X100
SM7 50F, 54S, SM8 58M
Spider Tour

[quote name='mmack067' timestamp='1357702845' post='6194743']
Well that didn't take long... TM trying to capitalize on the DJ win. 400+ what? Inches? They need another level of editing before things go up.

Solid win for him and TM couldn't have asked for better timing.
[/quote]

Marketing at its best! I'm sure when he was walking onto 18 they where getting red rocketz over the timing. They are good at what they do!

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

[quote name='WVP' timestamp='1357702176' post='6194661']
0% of pros do, so yes they can have their own special driver, they are better then us. [b]they dont play a V2 because its totally different, they play a V2 because they like the smaller head and specific loft, thats all it is. it has nothing to do with being a totally different driver[/b]
[/quote]

Caesar, I think the question remains here.....if all they wanted is a smaller head then technically Taylormade could have made one 420 cc head with the same range of loft adjustments as the retail. But that doesn't seem to be the case.

Of course they can have their own special tour versions but in this specific case what does that mean for the retail model?
[/quote]

yes they could have, i just think the reason is because tour pros dont play the wrong loft and dont need to get fit into one head. that and i doubt they would want to. really cant answer this for you guys. its not something that makes me upset and its nothing that bothers me. I dont need a T serial to tell me its a good club.

my best reason for the one loft retail vs multiple loft on tour is what i said before
80% play the wrong loft, so they need to get fit into the right loft in one driver
0% on tour play the wrong loft so they can get the multiple loft version that fits

its essentially all the sleeve. were just buying a 10* with an adjustable 2* sleeve

Taylormade M4 8.5 Oban Kiyoshi White
Taylormade Aeroburner 15* Diamana S+ 72
Taylormade SLDR 17* Hybrid S+ 82
Taylormade P770 4-PW KBS Ctaper Lite
Taylormade Milled Grind 51* 55* 60*
Taylormade Spider Ghost

[quote name='Caesar Palache' timestamp='1357703415' post='6194787']
[quote name='WVP' timestamp='1357702176' post='6194661']
[/quote]

[/quote]

yes they could have, i just think the reason is because tour pros dont play the wrong loft and dont need to get fit into one head. that and i doubt they would want to. really cant answer this for you guys. its not something that makes me upset and its nothing that bothers me. I dont need a T serial to tell me its a good club.

my best reason for the one loft retail vs multiple loft on tour is what i said before
80% play the wrong loft, so they need to get fit into the right loft in one driver
0% on tour play the wrong loft so they can get the multiple loft version that fits

its essentially all the sleeve. were just buying a 10* with an adjustable 2* sleeve
[/quote]

I think the best thing here is if your driver swing really changes during your time with the club. ie if you hit down on the ball and make a swing change and start hitting up. Or vice versa.

But initially, you absolutely need to get optimized with a fitter that knows about proper launch angles and how to adjust the club, or else that 80% is likely still playing that wrong loft. And at that point you could have alternatively have been fit into a properly fit single loft driver from another OEM (or another Taylormade head).

Like I said, the best feature is if you drastically change your swing at some point later. But most of this board will be 3 drivers down the line by then!!!!

Taylormade M4  – 16.5°
Titleist 818H1 - 22.5°
Titleist AP1 718 – 4-P
Titleist AP1 718 – 48°
Cleveland CBX – 54°
Taylormade EF – 60° 
Ping Vault 2.0 Craz-E H   

[quote name='drbonesvt' timestamp='1357703309' post='6194773']
Marketing at its best! I'm sure when he was walking onto 18 they where getting red rocketz over the timing. They are good at what they do!
[/quote]

"the torrent weather conditions"?

Since when did torrent become an adjective?

Seriously, TM. I offer you my services as a freelance proofreader. Rates are firm but reasonable. Between this and your website launch for R1/RBZ2, it looks like a bunch of junior high students running the show over there.

[quote name='H.A. Kerr' timestamp='1357706381' post='6195011']
[/quote]

Seriously, TM. I offer you my services as a freelance proofreader. Rates are firm but reasonable. Between this and your website launch for R1/RBZ2, it looks like a bunch of junior high students running the show over there.
[/quote]

Torrential? Torrential Rain?

It's hilarious to hear the claims that this is huge advertising for TM. The snippet on ESPNews showed DJ searching for a "drive" that was off the planet, and the commentator mentioned he won "in spite" of having some of the worst driving numbers in the tournament. Maybe he should try the OTR R1 that everyone gets to buy instead of the totally different version he is using that won't be available to retail.

In the category of you can't have it both ways...If what people here think doesn't matter and it's all about the average Joe, I'm not sure how much exposure winning a golf tournament in January on a Tuesday is going to garner from the average Joe for the R1. Especially as mentioned above when the only footage is DJ trying to find countless errant drives.

I can't wait until this conversation moves over to the Nike thread, once the following happen:

1) they release a V2 (never happen, right? I mean we've established that the COG changes with loft changes, and that can't work for everyone)

2) someone wins with it (is anyone even playing their driver on tour yet?)

Member of TMAG #TeamJetspeed 2013

[quote name='H.A. Kerr' timestamp='1357706381' post='6195011']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Also, his eagle in the "torrent" conditions was a 25 yard pitch and run with the older XFT wedge.

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke 10*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, Kuro Kage 606 S
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

[quote name='chickenpotpie' timestamp='1357731772' post='6195825']
[color=#282828]I can't wait until this conversation moves over to the Nike thread, once the following happen:[/color]

[color=#282828]1) they release a V2 (never happen, right? I mean we've established that the COG changes with loft changes, and that can't work for everyone)[/color]

2)[b] someone wins with it[/b] (is anyone even playing their driver on tour yet?)
[/quote]

I'm sure you're talking about the PGA Tour, but Scott Jamieson won with the Covert in the bag back in December.

I believe several Nike staffers, on the PGA Tour as well, already have a Covert in the bag.

[size=4][color=#222222]Didn't DJ use the Fujikura Fuel 2.0 in the R1 V2 he won with? [/color][/size][color=#222222][size=2][/size][/color]
[size=4][color=#222222]If so it doesn't appear that this shaft is available with the new tip per TMs page this morning under custom options for the R1. That would mean that neither the head or the shaft would be available to someone purchasing the driver from TM this year unless they introduce it into their offerings, or offer just the tips to the consumers. [/color][/size][color=#222222][size=2][/size][/color]
[size=4][color=#222222] [/color][/size][color=#222222][size=2][/size][/color]
[size=4][color=#222222]On a side note, I sent a message to TMAG customer service asking when the new tips would be available and have received no response, I will follow up with them again today. [/color][/size][color=#222222][size=2][/size][/color]
[size=4] [/size]