2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

2013 TaylorMade R1 Driver: Review, Video and Pics

easyyy

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='e46darnell' timestamp='1359993940' post='6360539']
Additionally does anyone know if the R1 can take the old Tmade shaft attachment?
[/quote]

Thats a negative ghost rider, the pattern is full

Taylormade M4 8.5 Oban Kiyoshi White
Taylormade Aeroburner 15* Diamana S+ 72
Taylormade SLDR 17* Hybrid S+ 82
Taylormade P770 4-PW KBS Ctaper Lite
Taylormade Milled Grind 51* 55* 60*
Taylormade Spider Ghost

[quote name='station2station' timestamp='1359992999' post='6360461']
[quote name='Imp' timestamp='1359983966' post='6359699']
[quote name='station2station' timestamp='1359910173' post='6355085']
THe ASP wasn't helping because I hover. And adjusting with my hands was freaking me out a bit.[/quote]
You shouldn't be adjusting your hands at address, so hovering shouldn't factor into how you grip the club. All you have to do is any time before you swing, even practice swing, is place the club on the ground and then grip it.

Hopefully, you're not OCD enough that the grip logo has to be in the same symmetrical position when you grip. ;)

--kC
[/quote]

Im competent with swinging a driver. 30 years guys. I can square a face by hovering a golf club. Not my first rodeo. No need to set a driver down on grass to get it to align itself. This club has a lot of angles to it. And the racing stripes look like you are pushing your ball to the right. Hard for me to look down on.

I gave it a fair shot....outdoors on the golf course for a full round. I'll play the TItleist, happily.
[/quote]So you can tell if it's 1* open or closed. Can you teach me? I want to know how one can tell this when hovering. I'm not being sarcastic here, I'd really like to know!

--kC

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

[quote name='Imp' timestamp='1359995953' post='6360695']
[quote name='station2station' timestamp='1359992999' post='6360461']
[quote name='Imp' timestamp='1359983966' post='6359699']
[quote name='station2station' timestamp='1359910173' post='6355085']
THe ASP wasn't helping because I hover. And adjusting with my hands was freaking me out a bit.[/quote]
You shouldn't be adjusting your hands at address, so hovering shouldn't factor into how you grip the club. All you have to do is any time before you swing, even practice swing, is place the club on the ground and then grip it.

Hopefully, you're not OCD enough that the grip logo has to be in the same symmetrical position when you grip. ;)

--kC
[/quote]

Im competent with swinging a driver. 30 years guys. I can square a face by hovering a golf club. Not my first rodeo. No need to set a driver down on grass to get it to align itself. This club has a lot of angles to it. And the racing stripes look like you are pushing your ball to the right. Hard for me to look down on.

I gave it a fair shot....outdoors on the golf course for a full round. I'll play the TItleist, happily.
[/quote]So you can tell if it's 1* open or closed. Can you teach me? I want to know how one can tell this when hovering. I'm not being sarcastic here, I'd really like to know!

--kC
[/quote]

It worked for Jack Nicklaus. Also every wrx'er can spot a 1/2 degree closed head on the rack.

Callaway Mavrick Callaway Mavrick SZ 3W Callaway Superhybrid Titleist 510 20 Titleist T100 Vokey SM7 54 and 60 Scotty Cameron T22

Does it bother anyone else that the upgraded stock TP shaft is still a made for? I understand that it might be of better quality and play similar to the actual Phenom when compared to it's counterpart, the 55 in the 'regular' R1 but previous Taylormade TP drivers have had aftermarket shafts in them so why not the R1? I like Tmag equipment because it works for my game, but if there's one thing that bothers me it's the driver shaft options and the price point on their top of the line driver.

Cobra F9 - MRC Pro Orange 60TX
Taylormade Rocketballz Stage 2 Tour - MRC Pro White 70TX
Taylormade R9 5 Wood - MRC Pro White 70TX
Adams XTD Tour 4-PW- Nippon Super Peening Blue
Nike Engage 52, Vokey SM6 56 and 60
Bettinardi BB56

[quote name='Imp' timestamp='1360153682' post='6371963']
So we've accepted the error on the TM price (somewhat). Now we're moving on to the "I don't like the Made For designation"?

Wow. Just, wow.

--kC
[/quote]

It's not that the made for designation that bothers me, but it's the price they offer it for. I think it's a excellent driver and the Rip 65 shaft fit me very well so I'll probably end up buying the TP anyways.

I don't ever remember the Rip Phenom 80 being on the Aldila website until recently but that was the stock TP fairway shaft last year so who knows maybe it will be offered retail later on.

I'm not trying to start a fight on the subject. Judging by your response it was apparently too early in the morning for me to post my one gripe.

Bettinardi BB56

Well, now that I got my first whiny post on the site out of the way (and started my first argument!) I should actually post something constructive and add to the conversation.

I tend to be a high spin/high launch player so I'm constantly looking to lower my spin off the tee. When I hit the R1 indoors on a launch monitor the spin rate, ball speed and carry distance were all comparable to my R11s V2 and it was more forgiving (these were some HORRID swings). Didn't have a chance to compare it to my DOT head. Maybe when I get back into the groove of playing and the swing is better the R11s V2 will be longer but as of right now (for me) the R1 is what I've been looking for in a retail TM head.

Bettinardi BB56

I was told the upgrade shafts were not made for shafts. The stock shaft in the Stage 2 Tour driver is not a made for and it sounded like he said all upgraded shafts were not a made for shaft

Taylormade Spider Ghost

[quote name='buck9432' timestamp='1360154732' post='6372009']
So we've accepted the error on the TM price (somewhat). Now we're moving on to the "I don't like the Made For designation"?

Wow. Just, wow.

--kC
[/quote]

It's not that the made for designation that bothers me, but it's the price they offer it for. I think it's a excellent driver and the Rip 65 shaft fit me very well so I'll probably end up buying the TP anyways.

I don't ever remember the Rip Phenom 80 being on the Aldila website until recently but that was the stock TP fairway shaft last year so who knows maybe it will be offered retail later on.

I'm not trying to start a fight on the subject. Judging by your response it was apparently too early in the morning for me to post my one gripe.
[/quote]

Buck,

First of all, welcome to WRX. You asked a fair question about the shaft. Unfortunately, some folks view any reasonable question as an attack on TM.

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Wilson Staff Dyna Power 5 wood
Ping 410 7 wood
XXIO 10 5 Hybrid, Tour Exotics 6 Hybrid
Wilson Staff DynaPower forged 7-GW

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

Bettinardi BB0 TRI DASS Skull and Bones 2023 33" 

Like Edberg's forehand, my swing is held together with a paperclip and a rubber band.

[quote name='Caesar Palache' timestamp='1360160635' post='6372403']
I was told the upgrade shafts were not made for shafts. The stock shaft in the Stage 2 Tour driver is not a made for and it sounded like he said all upgraded shafts were not a made for shaft
[/quote]

Thanks Caesar. Probably should've just asked you in the first place since you sat down with the brain trust.

[size=4][color=#000000]Eh, bottom line I suppose is if it performs for you it's the right shaft. If it doesn't keep looking.[/color][/size]

Bettinardi BB56

[quote name='Woodridge' timestamp='1360160951' post='6372419']

Wow. Just, wow.

--kC
[/quote]

[/quote]

Buck,

First of all, welcome to WRX. You asked a fair question about the shaft. Unfortunately, some folks view any reasonable question as an attack on TM.
[/quote]

Thanks! Have been reading the forums on the site for the last year, decided I should start trying to contribute to the conversation.

I thought it was a reasonable question, but I've been reading the forum's long enough that I should've known it would've been a hot topic.

Bettinardi BB56

[quote name='buck9432' timestamp='1360161230' post='6372445']
[/quote]

Thanks Caesar. Probably should've just asked you in the first place since you sat down with the brain trust.

[size=4][color=#000000]Eh, bottom line I suppose is if it performs for you it's the right shaft. If it doesn't keep looking.[/color][/size]
[/quote]

more or less, some people swear by real deal shafts and won't touch made for, some don't care.

Like I said I could be wrong but if I remember correctly I was told TP and tour shafts were the real deal.

Taylormade Spider Ghost

[quote name='buck9432' timestamp='1360161740' post='6372505']

Wow. Just, wow.

--kC
[/quote]

[/quote]

Buck,

[/quote]

Thanks! Have been reading the forums on the site for the last year, decided I should start trying to contribute to the conversation.

I thought it was a reasonable question, but I've been reading the forum's long enough that I should've known it would've been a hot topic.
[/quote]

Haha just don't say v2 when referring to the R1! We will find you!

Ps that's a joke

Taylormade Spider Ghost

[quote name='Caesar Palache' timestamp='1360162289' post='6372553']
[/quote]

[color=#000000]Eh, bottom line I suppose is if it performs for you it's the right shaft. If it doesn't keep looking.[/color]
[/quote]

more or less, some people swear by real deal shafts and won't touch made for, some don't care.

Like I said I could be wrong but if I remember correctly I was told TP and tour shafts were the real deal.
[/quote]

Real vs. Made for doesn't really bother me personally (had the stock X-con 7 in my RBZ for the last year, but I am re-shafting with a Lime Green Code 8 for the 2013 bag) and if someone gets fit for the driver if the shaft works it really shouldn't bother them either.

I guess my comment was that the TP 65 shaft appears to have different specs than the 60 or 70 so it appeared to be a made for at the TP price point. The shaft/head combo performs for me though so I probably could've saved us all some time this morning and just held on to my comment. I guess I just needed something to do while at work!

I might have missed it, but have you received the Kiyoshi yet?

Bettinardi BB56

[quote name='Caesar Palache' timestamp='1360162408' post='6372563']
[quote name='buck9432' timestamp='1360161740' post='6372505']

Wow. Just, wow.

--kC
[/quote]

[/quote]

Buck,

[/quote]

[/quote]

Haha just don't say v2 when referring to the R1! We will find you!

Ps that's a joke
[/quote]

Oh man, I don't want to stoke those flames! Edited to add the R11s part!

Although I'm not sure if that helps or hurts!

Bettinardi BB56

[quote name='buck9432' timestamp='1360163041' post='6372617']
[/quote]

[color=#000000]Eh, bottom line I suppose is if it performs for you it's the right shaft. If it doesn't keep looking.[/color]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

Patiently waiting for it. I've been bouncing between a Proforce V2 and an Oban Devotion. Both real haha

Taylormade Spider Ghost

Wow. Just, wow.

--kC
[/quote]

[/quote]Apologies. Your original post just came off as another one of "those" posts of something that's been debated a lot already (even within this very thread). But a little reading would have shown the answer your original question, no, you're not the only one. This topic has been beaten to death already here. ;)

I'll try to refrain from being overly caustic in the future.

--kC

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

[quote name='Imp' timestamp='1360167164' post='6373037']

Wow. Just, wow.

--kC
[/quote]

[/quote]Apologies. Your original post just came off as another one of "those" posts of something that's been debated a lot already (even within this very thread). But a little reading would have shown the answer your original question, no, you're not the only one. This topic has been beaten to death already here. ;)

I'll try to refrain from being overly caustic in the future.

--kC
[/quote]

Not a problem.

I'm not sure how but I did miss the original debate within this thread. I agree that the topic has been beaten to death and admit that I could have gone about seeking an answer to my shaft question in a different way.

Bettinardi BB56

[quote name='Caesar Palache' timestamp='1359994185' post='6360555']
[quote name='e46darnell' timestamp='1359993940' post='6360539']
Additionally does anyone know if the R1 can take the old Tmade shaft attachment?
[/quote]

Thats a negative ghost rider, the pattern is full
[/quote]

Well that blows... But thanks.

Got to play 18 with the R1 yesterday and here is my take on it. First it was a TP with the 65g Phenom Stiff. Settings were 10*, N, and 10g in heel/1g in toe. For comparison my current driver is a RBZ 10.5* Tour set to the lowest loft setting, Miyazaki Black 72X tipped 3/4" and 45". The head is weighted to 204g. Conditions, started off around 65* and warmed up to 80*. Good solid breeze with some occasional gusts up to 20mph. Typical south Florida winter weather. Me +1 handicap, last Trackman session had my swingspeed with a driver at 118mph.

First and foremost this club is so easy to swing. It has a balance that really seemed to work well for me.

Length: I would have a tough time saying it is longer then the RBZ, but there were two holes in particular that were the longest I had ever hit on these holes; and this is my home course of over 6 years. Into the wind it was definitely shorter however it was still so easy to control. I need to get a extra stiff shaft to try to truly give this a fair comparison. So even with a shaft that may not be exactly right it's length was as good and at times a bit better. I

Control: The R1 was easier to control. End of story! Not sure if it was the head or the shaft but it was noticeably easier to control. It definitely was better at controlling trajectory then the RBZ Tour. Tee it low, it went low. Tee it high it went high. Normal tee height, normal trajectory. Dispersion was also very good. Much better the the R11s which I could not stand and only missed two fairways on the day when using it. While the ball was spinning a little too much the ball never upshot like normally happens with a shaft that is too soft.

Sound: honestly at this point I give up on sound, all of these Ti heads can sound different just by using a different ball. As long as it not obnoxious I'm fine with it. With that said the sound was on par with most drivers out there today.

Graphics: Looking at the club I hated the crown graphics, three holes into the round didn't notice them anymore and when I did notice them they not only did not detract from the club but seemed to frame the clubs true center way better then say the all white RBZ and R11s or any all black head. By the end of the round I was actually liking them. So much for first impressions!

All in all I'm ready to give the R1 a spot in the bag for nothing else then it's ease of use. I think with the right flex in the shaft and this club could be unstoppable. I do want to compare it to the Nike Covert.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Real vs. Made for doesn't really bother me personally (had the stock X-con 7 in my RBZ for the last year, but I am re-shafting with a Lime Green Code 8 for the 2013 bag) and if someone gets fit for the driver if the shaft works it really shouldn't bother them either.

I guess my comment was that the TP 65 shaft appears to have different specs than the 60 or 70 so it appeared to be a made for at the TP price point. The shaft/head combo performs for me though so I probably could've saved us all some time this morning and just held on to my comment. I guess I just needed something to do while at work!

[/quote]

TM gives you the cut and installed spec's, Aldila gives you the RAW specs. Also, one has to factor into the weight change that TM's paint scheme adds. 2g of shaft weight is the paint scheme, presuming it's the same as last year. Plus both TM and Aldila, just like everyone else in the industry, don't seem to measure torque the same.

Ping's custom option sheet, for example, does the same thing. Specs don't match up with those from the shaft OEM's.

[quote name='Super Tuna' timestamp='1360347605' post='6388945']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

TM gives you the cut and installed spec's, Aldila gives you the RAW specs. Also, one has to factor into the weight change that TM's paint scheme adds. 2g of shaft weight is the paint scheme, presuming it's the same as last year. Plus both TM and Aldila, just like everyone else in the industry, don't seem to measure torque the same.

Ping's custom option sheet, for example, does the same thing. Specs don't match up with those from the shaft OEM's.
[/quote]

That was one thing I wasn't thinking of, the raw vs cut specs. Obviously the weight changes when cut and now I'm remember numerous conversations on the site about how different companies measure the torque. Thanks for the response!

In the end, I asked the question and ended up buying the TP anyways. Shaft works very well for me. Got a chance to play yesterday with the freak warm day here in Ohio and I think this driver is going to kick my R11s V2 to the backup bag. It was so freaking easy to hit and when it got up it just seemed to not want to come back down. I went into this season not wanting to make any new purchases but I'm happy I picked one up.

Bettinardi BB56

[quote name='Golfjunki71' timestamp='1360352651' post='6389553']
Does anyone know what shafts are available in the fitting cart?
[/quote]

Aldila NV Magnum 44

Aldila (TP only) RIP Beta 60, 70

Aldila (TP only) RIP Phenom 50

Aldila (TP only) RIP'D NV 65

Aldila (TP only) Trinity 65

Fujikura (TP only) Fuel 50, 70

Fujikura (TP only) Motore Speeder 6.0, 7.0, 8.0

Fujikura (TP only) Speeder Tour Spec 6.2, 7.2

Graphite Design (TP only) DI-6, DI-7

Matrix (TP only) 5X3, 6Q3

Matrix (TP only) 7M3, 8M3

Matrix (TP only) RUL 60, 70

Mitsubishi (TP only) Diamana 'Ahina 60

Mitsubishi (TP only) Diamana Kai'li 60, 70, 80

Mitsubishi (TP only) Fubuki Alpha 60, 70

Mitsubishi (TP only) Kuro Kage Black 50

Oban (TP only) Devotion 6

Oban (TP only) Kiyoshi White 65

Oban (TP only) Revenge 8

Rifle (TP only) Project X Tour Issue 8B4, 8C4

Rifle (TP only) Project X V39, V52, 65

UST (TP only) VTS Silver 65, 75

Callaway Staffer

[quote name='Scott@84' timestamp='1360360729' post='6390441']
[/quote]

Aldila NV Magnum 44

Oban (TP only) Revenge 8

[/quote]

Wow thanks!

Callaway Mavrick Callaway Mavrick SZ 3W Callaway Superhybrid Titleist 510 20 Titleist T100 Vokey SM7 54 and 60 Scotty Cameron T22

[quote name='Scott@84' timestamp='1360360729' post='6390441']
[/quote]

Aldila NV Magnum 44

Oban (TP only) Revenge 8

[/quote]

Thanks for listing all of these!

Just got mine a couple days ago off of the tour truck and oh my god this thing RULES! I previously had a 9* Tour RBZ but for some reason I just couldn't hit it as well as my R11.
The R1 is like if the R11s and R11 had a baby and gave it Deer Antler spray. Its not majorly long but I've gained about 5 yards on average, and when you hit it dead center its game over. I ended up putting the Fujikura Fuel TP 70X in mine, and it just feels like money!

915 8.5 Fuji TS X 7.3
Mizuno MP15 PX6.5 Flighted
SM5 Vokeys TI S400
Taylormade BurnerAero TP 3&5 Wood
Bettinardi BB1F
ProV1

Personally I don't care if it is 5 yds longer or 5 yds shorter. I don't even care if the shaft says made for, made by or made with on it. When 18 out of 20 balls go perfectly where I want them, that is what counts. After the first 2 going perfect, you suddenly are spending more time watching that striped shot than looking at the graphics. The accuracy alone would have me willing to spend twice the asking price, and keeping it in the bag until it falls apart

Zolex 0 CC "The Hammer" driver
Warrior 3h
Divnick Adjustable Iron
Spin Doctor Wedges
Top Spin Putter
Molitor & Pinnacle balls