sharpo grips

tmac7592

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he meant that the Sharpro grip is better when new, better at 6 months and also better after 1 year.

Compare a BRAND NEW GPNDMC and a BRAND NEW Sharpro 1-0 to GPNDMC

Compare them after 6 months 2-0 to GPNDMC

And finally after 1 year 3-0 to GPNDMC

And this coming from some one who has ACTUALLY used the Sharpro Grips ,

Jack x.

Could you explain a little? What does 1-0, 2-0, 3-0 mean?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Golf Pride Grips, a division of Eaton Corporation, developed and copyrighted its New Decade® MultiCompound golf grip independently of Sharpro Grip Inc. The two companies are not related nor have any business relationship. While the two grips may have a similar appearance, the two grips are manufactured differently and have different performance characteristics. Neither company pays the other any royalties or fees for any of its grips. We believe avid golfers will likely notice the differences immediately.

Bruce
Golf Pride

[quote name='brucemiller' post='1883115' date='Aug 12 2009, 01:43 PM']Golf Pride Grips, a division of Eaton Corporation, developed and copyrighted its New Decade® MultiCompound golf grip independently of Sharpro Grip Inc. The two companies are not related nor have any business relationship. While the two grips may have a similar appearance, the two grips are manufactured differently and have different performance characteristics. Neither company pays the other any royalties or fees for any of its grips. We believe avid golfers will likely notice the differences immediately.

Bruce
Golf Pride[/quote]

Thanks for the input Bruce. Can you share some of the differences, because frankly I cannot tell much of a difference between the two.

[quote name='turbo4door' post='1883463' date='Aug 12 2009, 03:52 PM'][quote name='brucemiller' post='1883115' date='Aug 12 2009, 01:43 PM']Golf Pride Grips, a division of Eaton Corporation, developed and copyrighted its New Decade® MultiCompound golf grip independently of Sharpro Grip Inc. The two companies are not related nor have any business relationship. While the two grips may have a similar appearance, the two grips are manufactured differently and have different performance characteristics. Neither company pays the other any royalties or fees for any of its grips. We believe avid golfers will likely notice the differences immediately.

Bruce
Golf Pride[/quote]

Thanks for the input Bruce. Can you share some of the differences, because frankly I cannot tell much of a difference between the two.
[/quote]

When I first used Sharpro grips, I thought they were heavier. Then I realized it was all of the extra money in my pocket that was weighing me down, not the grips.

No difference between the two, save your money and buy Sharpro.

[quote name='mat562' post='1739667' date='Jun 6 2009, 11:55 AM']What are people considering to be 'wearing out really fast?'

Obviously, I'm assuming a couple of rounds is an exaggeration, but I don't find that grips wear out remarkably quickly; whatever they are. I reckon I play around 60-70 rounds a year, plus a reasonable amount of time of time on the practice ground and of on-course practice in a morning or evening. Basically, a normal schedule for a keen, reasonably competent player who takes the game seriously and makes time to maintain a reasonable (and reasonably frequent) level of play.

With that amount of golf - with a bit of basic cleaning every few weeks and a buffing up of the cord each month or so - I easily get 18 months out of a set of grips, and occasionally more. The first to go are usually the wedges, mainly because the cord wears away and they lose the abrasive surface feel that I prefer, but it's never before a year is up, and often they last considerably longer.

I'm the first to complain about grip prices (especially the ridiculous mark up for cord grips over plain rubber) but I honestly can't say that they're a rip off from a longevity standpoint. If grips aren't abused and are subject to some basic upkeep, they last for years. I've still got a Victory Cord on my old Joe Powell driver. Admittedly, it doesn't see much use and it's kept in a staff bag in a dark cupboard, but it must be 20 years old now and the cord's still fresh, it's not glazed over and the lip isn't crazing or cracking.[/quote]

GP makes nice grips, however the compound they use to make the grips turns hard and slick much quicker than say Lamkin's compound. I used Tour Velvets for years both cord and non cord, and would need to replace them every 12-18 months. In fact I have and old set of MP 14's in the garage that still have them. These grips are literally breaking down and I haven't had them on the course in 5 years, in fact I have only had them on the course about twice in 10 years. I have an old wedge on the back deck that I use to chip balls with in the yard and it stays outside year around in rain, sun and snow, the Lamkin grip on it is a min. 5 years old and is in much better shape. Yes it is getting a little slick, but still playable. I used a set of Lamkin tour cords for 3 years and with a little cleaning every few months and a swipe with some sand paper they appear no worse than 6 month old GP's. The GPMC's are the worst for duribility IMO, they start off really nice and tacky but if they stay that way more than 6 months I would be suprised. So IMO forget both GP and Sharpo go with Lamkin, usually a little cheaper than GP and more than Sharpo but worth the money IMO especially if you keep you clubs for more than a year, wait what am I thinking? This is GolfWRX, everyone gets a new set of sticks every 2 months..... :clapping:
I have no idea if the Sharpos are make with the same compound as the GP's, I am assuming the patent is for design not compound? Anyone know?

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

[quote name='brucemiller' post='1883115' date='Aug 12 2009, 12:43 PM']Golf Pride Grips, a division of Eaton Corporation, developed and copyrighted its New Decade® MultiCompound golf grip independently of Sharpro Grip Inc. The two companies are not related nor have any business relationship. While the two grips may have a similar appearance, the two grips are manufactured differently and have different performance characteristics. Neither company pays the other any royalties or fees for any of its grips. We believe avid golfers will likely notice the differences immediately.

Bruce
Golf Pride[/quote]
If this is true then please explain why one of you hasn't sued the other, they look almost identical, someone is definatly copying someone. The way business works these days there is no way someone did not infringe on someones patent or trade dress and a suit was filed or an out of court settlement wasn't reached. Nice piece of spin here but I am not buying it.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='dlygrisse' post='1883517' date='Aug 12 2009, 03:14 PM'][quote name='brucemiller' post='1883115' date='Aug 12 2009, 12:43 PM']Golf Pride Grips, a division of Eaton Corporation, developed and copyrighted its New Decade® MultiCompound golf grip independently of Sharpro Grip Inc. The two companies are not related nor have any business relationship. While the two grips may have a similar appearance, the two grips are manufactured differently and have different performance characteristics. Neither company pays the other any royalties or fees for any of its grips. We believe avid golfers will likely notice the differences immediately.

Bruce
Golf Pride[/quote]
If this is true then please explain why one of you hasn't sued the other, they look almost identical, someone is definatly copying someone. The way business works these days there is no way someone did not infringe on someones patent or trade dress and a suit was filed or an out of court settlement wasn't reached. Nice piece of spin here but I am not buying it.
[/quote]
Bump...I agree; some more insight seems warranted.

Well, it would be the manufacturers of Taki Mac, Avon, Sharpo, & GP would be bringing up lawsuits against each other then, since they are all similar. But who cares. Keeps the companies competitive and cost down for us consumers. Why should any of us care if companies butt heads for rights to the technology.

Anyway, I just put Sharpo cord MC on a club. The cord part is a little shorter, compared to my GP. Basically, when I grip the club, the cord part of the GP is just right under my thumb. This makes my grip feel more secure. On the Sharpo, the cord part is a little shorter, so my thumb is actually touching the rubber part. This makes if feel slippery.

Noticing just a tiny hint of color change (yellowing) on my white Sharpro's. To be fair, I use the clubs every day for at least an hour and only two of them are showing this effect. Its very insignificant and you have to hold them next to each other to tell. Not enough of a problem for me to pay 3 times the money for an identical grip (who knows, the GP may also change color)

+1 for sharpo's ! Had mine about 2 months and love them, feel the same as the GP MCC's I have on my driver and 3 wood. And in response to the discoloration thing, I have blue GP MCC's and they have definitely darkened from their original royal blue, however they don't feel any different so this could just be attributed to the porous rubber taking on dirt particles or something...who knows.

Ive been using Sharpro grips for years. They are better than the Golf Pride version IMO. I use the cordless dual version (yellow, thank you) on my wedges and woods, and I use golf pride tour wraps on my other irons. I regrip my clubs myself.

Sharpro also manufactures grips for other OEM'S. You may be playing a grip right off the Sharpro factory line right now and not know it.

For the money, they are one of the best grips on the market. They are not a knock off of anything.

SDUP-9.jpg

X________________________________ Sign Here

• 10 months later...

Any updates as to how the Sharpros are holding up?

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

[quote name='dr chem' date='14 January 2007 - 09:21 AM' timestamp='1168780881' post='398004']
[quote name='tmac7592' post='397673' date='Jan 13 2007, 10:01 PM']
i know that these are basically fake golfpride multicompounds but i want lime green and these grips are lime so does anyone know how durable these are and if they are worth the money or i should get the real ones
[url="http://cgi.ebay.com/13-SHARPRO-Dual-Compound-Cord-Golf-Grip-Pride-Green_W0QQitemZ280069791637QQihZ018QQcategoryZ47324QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]grips[/url]
[/quote]

My buddies have tried these grips, they only last a couple of round, save your $ and go for the real ones... :wave:
[/quote]

Your buddies must grip their clubs like they're holding onto a poisonous snake. I've had Sharpro grips on a couple sets of irons, and a few big sticks since E A R L Y last year. They are still in amazing shape. I also have some of the GP dualcomps, the Sharpro's aren't quite as sticky, but for the money you CANNOT beat them.