2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

G25 Iron Review (Low Handicapper)

Instant Offense

Johann - what distance do you hit your 7 iron?

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

Just put some G25s 4-W KBS S in the bag...tied my best round ever 74 first round out. Hit some lasers after I got a few swings on the course in with them. Super forgiving on mishits...should have been a 72 as I missed a 4 ft birdie putt on 17 and a 12 ft bird attempt on 18. Im much happier dumping the hybrid game and going G25 7-wood to G25 4 iron.

A few weeks ago I was toying around with my Dads G15 irons and shot 73 +3 and after reading this thread too much, I pulled the trigger. I am expecting to bag these for a while!

Instant Offence - what made you use an X in the KBS Tours? Are you an X flex anyway? Reason I am asking is that I've been playing the S57s in the stiff KBS Tours and I totally love the feel of KBS and eventhough I ordered my S57s 1* strong, I am still hitting it was too high, for example a 147 pin should be an easy 8 for me and yet I picked it so high, it come up a short at 140. I am a picker of the ball and the CFS in the G25s seem to be on the high side as well, hitting a 4 iron on the LM, I was getting 177 average (while an equivalent Rocketbladz Tour was 198-204 and it was that buttery, smooth feel that I enjoy with the KBS Tour stiff shaft as stock) and my S57s 4 iron I would use on a 195 yard. I am leaning on the G25s just for the forgiveness since I hardly play or practice anymore and looking for the holy grail of forgiveness and distance (which I can get since I am a strong swinger but I pick the ball so damn high). My pro & playing buddy doesn't like the G25s, he just could not work the ball at all. I work the S57s as well.

So I am thinking of putting the KBS stiffs in these G25 heads and ordering them 2* strong to compensate for my picking? I have no idea on the KBS 90s being a lighter shaft, it may throw back the high launch back into the equation? (if anyone use the KBS 90s, I luv to hear your thoughts especially if you came from the KBS Tour previously).

Your thoughts?

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft

[quote name='SwingBlues' timestamp='1372548355' post='7352054']
Instant Offence - what made you use an X in the KBS Tours? Are you an X flex anyway? Reason I am asking is that I've been playing the S57s in the stiff KBS Tours and I totally love the feel of KBS and eventhough I ordered my S57s 1* strong, I am still hitting it was too high, for example a 147 pin should be an easy 8 for me and yet I picked it so high, it come up a short at 140. I am a picker of the ball and the CFS in the G25s seem to be on the high side as well, hitting a 4 iron on the LM, I was getting 177 average (while an equivalent Rocketbladz Tour was 198-204 and it was that buttery, smooth feel that I enjoy with the KBS Tour stiff shaft as stock) and my S57s 4 iron I would use on a 195 yard. I am leaning on the G25s just for the forgiveness since I hardly play or practice anymore and looking for the holy grail of forgiveness and distance (which I can get since I am a strong swinger but I pick the ball so damn high). My pro & playing buddy doesn't like the G25s, he just could not work the ball at all. I work the S57s as well.

So I am thinking of putting the KBS stiffs in these G25 heads and ordering them 2* strong to compensate for my picking? I have no idea on the KBS 90s being a lighter shaft, it may throw back the high launch back into the equation? (if anyone use the KBS 90s, I luv to hear your thoughts especially if you came from the KBS Tour previously).

Your thoughts?
[/quote]
I swing pretty hard most of the time. Probably 100-102 with a 7 iron on course. I actually launch the ball relatively low with most iron combos, but not these. I have played the S flex in KBS, but I thought they were kicking too hard. I think the X brings down the launch and feels way more stable in the backswing and through impact. Love the KBS profile.

I was leaning heavily on the i20's but after reading this thread I have now started the G25 ponder. The i20 with Stock X flex CFS shaft was point and shoot accurate for me on the sim. Gonna have to jump on the sim with the G25 with CFS X flex to compare.

But before I even jump on that I was thinking about shaft options. On the MSO I was fit to x100 soft stepped, PX 6.0 or KBS Tour X soft stepped. With the i20 and stock X flex I was launching the 7i at 20-22degrees. A bit high IMO, worried the G25 will be even higher

Driver: Cobra LTDx LS w/ Ventus Red 
FW: TM Sim2 Ti 15deg w/ Tensei Blue

Hybrid: PING 425  w/ Rogue 95tx

Irons: Cobra Forded Tec 22' 4-PW w/ Recoil 1110 F5
Wedges: Edel SMS 54-58
Putter: Cobra Stingray 40

[quote name='xm23' timestamp='1372556775' post='7353056']
I was leaning heavily on the i20's but after reading this thread I have now started the G25 ponder. The i20 with Stock X flex CFS shaft was point and shoot accurate for me on the sim. Gonna have to jump on the sim with the G25 with CFS X flex to compare.

But before I even jump on that I was thinking about shaft options. On the MSO I was fit to x100 soft stepped, PX 6.0 or KBS Tour X soft stepped. With the i20 and stock X flex I was launching the 7i at 20-22degrees. A bit high IMO, worried the G25 will be even higher
[/quote]

G25s will take you higher

Well I'm not opposed to the height as long as I can still effectively hit knockdowns if needed. How high is too high?

Does Ping custom do soft step?

[quote name='SwingBlues' timestamp='1372577765' post='7354456']
[/quote]

My Ansers have soft stepped PXi. They took about a week longer than 'normal' turn around. I seem to recall that soft-step and hard-step requests are done by the WRX department. 'Normal' adjustments such as length, lie, and swingweight are done in the normal assembly area.

I have now had four things done through WRX: two wedges with custom grinds, a heavier than normal swingweight on a shortened driver, and the soft-stepped irons. It does add a few days to the normal turn but it is worth the wait if it's what you want.

WITB Link

Thanks, that right...my S57s were pured by Ping WRX (they called it something else). Hmmh, definitely leaning on the KBS Tours soft-step once and 2 degree strong. Should control my flight, give me the buttery feel when I do compress the ball and the forgiveness when I am not so hot.

[quote name='Instant Offense' timestamp='1366764840' post='6904237']
[quote name='station2station' timestamp='1366764229' post='6904157']
You've been playing 12 years and your a + 4.5 capper? And you're not playing much? Impressive.

The problem I had when testing these clubs is that I had to use too stiff of a shaft to get the flight down to a reasonable trajectory. I'm a 4 capper and like KBS Tour Stiff, or DGS300. Straight UP. To get the flight down I needed to get into X100 and that's not my thing.

They felt fine, went straight, and weren't too hard to look at - but in their own ad campaign they state that the G25 helps the player get the ball up off the ground. I don't need this.
[/quote]
They do launch high and that's the reason I said 95% of the golfing public would benefit. Obviously, a higher proportion of WRX'ers have issues with launching too high than the general golfing public. I would assume very players in the grand scheme will ever launch an iron too high. Tour players hit the ball into the stratosphere with their irons compared to normal players. I really enjoy the easy height that these irons provide, but I have always struggled to hit the ball super high with my irons. It would be cool if someone made an iron as easy to hit as the G25 that had a mid launch to accommodate you high ball hitters. One thing I would suggest you try if you wanted to give them another chance is the KBS Tour X... They feel super smooth but bring the launch down nicely over the KBS Stiff.
[/quote]

Great review really enjoy reading, I'am presently playing the i20's and NOT enjoying them very much, I live in West Texas where the wind blow almost all the time and I need a set irons that will not balloon on me. What would be you throught on the KBS C-taper or lite or possibly DG s300
Thanks

[quote name='booglez' timestamp='1372617149' post='7356396']
I'm in the market for new irons, and this thread has made me whole heartedly consider the g25's more than I ever would have.

Especially as a mid-low ball hitter, I think these may help me pick up a few yards.

Can't wait to try them out!
[/quote]

If you can, try to not only do a propper fitting but also take a G25 7 iron and different shafts to the course and play them from different spots on several holes and compare them to your current set... I know it's more complicated than just hitting them on the range or into a net and may only be possible early in the morning or late in the evening, but it gave me a much better impression about the different shafts and the ballflight (see #326 above). And if you do this over a couple of holes, you will definitely see which combination works best for you.

Good Luck, they are great irons, I will definitely order a set next week :nyam:

[quote name='SwingBlues' timestamp='1372577765' post='7354456']
[/quote]

I just got my new irons. I wanted a firm regular shaft so I ordered mine with CFS stiff shafts, soft stepped once. They arrived in a week and a half. Too bad we're in the midst of a nasty little heat wave. I really want to play these clubs NOW.

Even though my Swing speed is in the upper 70's low 80's, I didn't do well with the CFS regular shaft. High, short, and all over the place. When I got refitted, (long story) I found I hit the CFS stiff almost as high but longer and much straighter. I think the soft stepping will help give me a little more feel. I didn't have any issues with the Regular DG xp shafts I trie in other clubs, but I think the CFS's play a bit soft to flex.

I'm 9 hcp and play i15 with stock AWT Regular flex. My common mistake is a hook with longer irons and pull-hook with shorter. My pro told me that is more of a shaft issue than a swing flaw (hmmm i don't know if he's right), because I've tried other irons with stiffer flex, and my shot was straight to a little push.
My driver speed is about 102 mph
I'm thinking on switch to a G25 set with CFS Stiff shaft.

Some question for you guys:
What are the difference between CFS Stiff and KBS Tour Stiff in terms of flex and ball flight?
Will the extra offset of G25 make my hook/pull-hook worst?
Does the CFS Stiff play firmer than my AWT Regular?

Went today and put the g25 up against the i20 all with CFS X, KBS Tour S and PX 6.0. These were the only options at my local shop and all with the 7i. Ball speeds with the stock CFS X was much better in the i20 and launch was 21* avg. With the g25 and CFS X launch was 23*.

This all changed with the KBS Tour S flex. Launch came back down to 18-19* with both the i20 and g25 but this is where the g25 edged out the i20 in ball speed and in consistency for me. Shaft felt much smoother than the CFS X. Reason why I started with the X flex was based on the MSO which recommended x100 SS, PX6.0 or KBS Tour X SS. I wish there was a KBS Tour X shaft to try but was quite happy with the S. Need to drive around town and search for a fitting cart to demo the KBS Tour X in a g25 head to make a final decision

The KBS Tour is fantastic shaft, been playing it for years in my S57s. I cannot feel any love for the PXs at all, seem boardy to me with no feel whatsoever. I luv the look of 'em but whats the point.

I want to provide an update on my G25s. I have played them for 8 rounds to make a good judgement. I am switching back to my i20s with KBS because I am more accurate and can make better contact. The G25s more forgiving and I have gotten away with a few bad shots but the pay off has been longer puts. I have longer putts because of the accuracy issues. My scoring average has not change, the honey moon phase is over. The long irons are fantastic and are definitely a better option but not enough to keep the set.

Adams Speedline LS 9.5* Kuro Kage XStiff
Adams Speedline LS 13* Kuro Kage XStiff
Adams Super LS XTD 19* Kuro Kage XStiff
Adams Super Dhy 21* Kuro Kage XStiff
Ping i20 5i-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Cleveland 588 RTX 51, 56, 62 KBS Stiff

Hey...these G25s are pretty much juiced up lofts? I compared them to my +1 strong S57s and the G25s are still +1 stronger (PW vs PW) :superman:

Anyone here can compared a regular KBS Tour hard stepped twice to a stiff KBS Tour? Whats the diff other than a lighter shaft weight?

My ONE comlpaint with my G25's is the increase in yardage. It seems to be a lot in the shorter irons and not as much in the long irons (except for off a tee).

I had 215 down hill on a par three this weekend and hit a 6-iron 15 yards over the green out of bounds.... Love em still but gotta keep playing to figure out the gaps on everything.

TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

[quote name='sTmGolfer' timestamp='1366770129' post='6904983']
[quote name='Instant Offense' timestamp='1366765853' post='6904389']
[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1366765762' post='6904375']
I've fiddled around with the G25's in stores and they simply look amazing, and are really a far cry from the G20's. Less offset and smaller sole. They are a descendant of the I5's, for sure.

I think Ping has a surefire classic here
[/quote]
Very well said... Marty Jertsen says they are the every mans iron.
[/quote]

I recently made the switch from the i20's to the G25's and couldn't be happier. I LOVED my stint with the i20's, but the G25's feel incredible and do everything I want them to do. I'm not an exceptional ball striker (I'm about a 6-7 hdcp), so these help me out incredibly. Like you said, the ease to move them is more so than I think most people give them credit for. I'm not looking to be the next Bubba and bend it 40 yards. I want to move it slightly left or slightly right and these clubs allow me to do that ... and most importantly, without the fear of overcooking it.

Great review. Enjoyed the read.
[/quote]

Can you compare the G25 and I20 when hit from tight hard lies, wet lies and deep grass? I'm a digger and concerned about sole interaction.

[quote name='DrInhale' timestamp='1373024977' post='7391724']
I want to provide an update on my G25s. I have played them for 8 rounds to make a good judgement. I am switching back to my i20s with KBS because I am more accurate and can make better contact. The G25s more forgiving and I have gotten away with a few bad shots but the pay off has been longer puts. I have longer putts because of the accuracy issues. My scoring average has not change, the honey moon phase is over. The long irons are fantastic and are definitely a better option but not enough to keep the set.
[/quote]

What do you think of a mixed set? G25 down to 7 iron and I20 from 8 through UW?

[quote name='J-Tizzle' timestamp='1373375120' post='7415934']
My ONE comlpaint with my G25's is the increase in yardage. It seems to be a lot in the shorter irons and not as much in the long irons (except for off a tee).

I had 215 down hill on a par three this weekend and hit a 6-iron 15 yards over the green out of bounds.... Love em still but gotta keep playing to figure out the gaps on everything.
[/quote]

What would you think about weakening the loft on the short irons and doing a bounce grind to offset the added bounce?

[quote name='sixogto21' timestamp='1373398348' post='7418958']
This thread is killing me.... Just sold my Mizuno mp53s on the bay and going to demo these tomorrow...
[/quote]

I was a die hard Mizuno fan, I still own sets of the MP 53, 63 & 32, . They have all been sleeping peacefully in the cold dark basement for the last 2 months since I put the G25s in play. I admit they don't look as pretty or feel as wonderful at impact but they knock down flags like nothing else I have owned. Last night in league play I won closest to the pin, 2 feet at 175 yards, never left the flag. I also holed out from 135 on a par 4 for eagle, these things work, cause I'm not that good.

Give them a good go and you will see what I mean

Ping Rapture V2
Ping G15, four wood
Callaway X hot pro 20* hybrid
Ping G25 - 4 to PW
Callaway X tour 50*' 54* & 58*
Scotty newport