2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

G25 Iron Review (Low Handicapper)

Instant Offense

[quote name='Gbyeball' timestamp='1373403022' post='7419548']
[quote name='sixogto21' timestamp='1373398348' post='7418958']
This thread is killing me.... Just sold my Mizuno mp53s on the bay and going to demo these tomorrow...
[/quote]

I was a die hard Mizuno fan, I still own sets of the MP 53, 63 & 32, . They have all been sleeping peacefully in the cold dark basement for the last 2 months since I put the G25s in play. I admit they don't look as pretty or feel as wonderful at impact but they knock down flags like nothing else I have owned. Last night in league play I won closest to the pin, 2 feet at 175 yards, never left the flag. I also holed out from 135 on a par 4 for eagle, these things work, cause I'm not that good.

Give them a good go and you will see what I mean
[/quote]I love my xhp irons, but they got some competition today. Found a killer deal on g25 4-uw. Cant wait to put them in play. I am a 14 handicap who thought I could only get to single digits with "player" clubs. But realizing as I get better with all aspects of my game the irons are the first to goof up when I don't play every day. Hope the g25s bring the GIRs up!

[quote name='LCP' timestamp='1373391315' post='7417994']
[quote name='DrInhale' timestamp='1373024977' post='7391724']
I want to provide an update on my G25s. I have played them for 8 rounds to make a good judgement. I am switching back to my i20s with KBS because I am more accurate and can make better contact. The G25s more forgiving and I have gotten away with a few bad shots but the pay off has been longer puts. I have longer putts because of the accuracy issues. My scoring average has not change, the honey moon phase is over. The long irons are fantastic and are definitely a better option but not enough to keep the set.
[/quote]

What do you think of a mixed set? G25 down to 7 iron and I20 from 8 through UW?
[/quote]

The only club I would have kept was the 4i, much easier to hit. The 7i down is more accurate for my swing.

Adams Speedline LS 9.5* Kuro Kage XStiff
Adams Speedline LS 13* Kuro Kage XStiff
Adams Super LS XTD 19* Kuro Kage XStiff
Adams Super Dhy 21* Kuro Kage XStiff
Ping i20 5i-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Cleveland 588 RTX 51, 56, 62 KBS Stiff

[quote name='LCP' timestamp='1373391459' post='7418008']
[quote name='J-Tizzle' timestamp='1373375120' post='7415934']
My ONE comlpaint with my G25's is the increase in yardage. It seems to be a lot in the shorter irons and not as much in the long irons (except for off a tee).

I had 215 down hill on a par three this weekend and hit a 6-iron 15 yards over the green out of bounds.... Love em still but gotta keep playing to figure out the gaps on everything.
[/quote]

What would you think about weakening the loft on the short irons and doing a bounce grind to offset the added bounce?
[/quote]

I thought about doing that but was unsure of how the bounce would behave just as a stock set up. I don't think the bounce is excessive or anything like that, but just worried they might be a little jumpy on firm ground, but thus far I don't think the bounce is too much at all. If anything the bounce as actually been helpful in keeping my divots from being excessively deep (problem I've noticed with my Gorges with the WRX grind).

TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

offset makes the pull hook worse. why? because as the pullhook expert I am:), you are pulling to the inside with a closed face--the offset will give you even more time to pull the clubface even more closed. if you play the ball off your backfoot, you pull hook less, because the closed face hasn't really started yet--but the more your swing "swings" on the downswing before hitting the ball, the more the face starts to close--offset especially helps slicers--their open face closes more with offset...

stealth 2 plus, 10.5 Titleist 6x tr blue

Cobra 4 iron 
G425 5 and 7 woods red ventus 90x

Tsi2 3 wood RDX black x

PXG 0311xp 5-gw, 0211 G,SW,LW  Wilson ci11 w/ ctaper 130x

Titleist sm9 s400 56,60
2ball blade
Titleist v1x

(Just had a shoulder replaced and I am buying clubs for my fantasy bag).

[quote name='lucariga' timestamp='1372689746' post='7361948']
I'm 9 hcp and play i15 with stock AWT Regular flex. My common mistake is a hook with longer irons and pull-hook with shorter. My pro told me that i[b]s more of a shaft issue than a swing flaw[/b] (hmmm i [b]don't know if he's right[/b]), because I've tried other irons with stiffer flex, and my shot was straight to a little push.
My driver speed is about 102 mph
I'm thinking on switch to a G25 set with CFS Stiff shaft.[/quote]

cavemeister (apparently) just answered your question though he didn't "quote" you,,,,,

BUT,,,,,

Your driver speed at 102 MPH puts you in a stiff shaft, no ?

Most players, I'd wager, play the same (stiffness) shafts in their irons as in their driver.

So your pro suggests it's a shaft issue and when you go from regular to stiff the hook goes away and you're "not sure he's right " ???

And YOU don't think it was a shaft problem ?

[font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#ff8c00][b]Cobra Bio Cell+[/b][/color]
[color=#000080][b]Adams A12 Pro 16, 20, 23[/b][/color]
[b][color=#696969]Ping G20, 5-SW, C-Taper stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#ff0000][b]TM xft wedge 64[/b][/color]
[b][color="#000000"]Scotty Futura X[/color][/b][/font]
[font=comic sans ms,cursive][b]ProV1x[/b][/font]

I've been iron shopping for the past month & never considered the G25's....I had the G15's at one point, but they felt clumsy to me. I was pretty much dead set on gettting the Mizuno JPX825's.
I went in yesterday to hit them again and order, but I decided I would at least hit the G25's, and I'm glad I did.
To me they felt better than the 825's, and also gave me more confidence. I ended up getting fit with with the CFS stiff shafts & yellow dot...I went ahead and ordered them & should have them next week.

[quote name='LCP' timestamp='1373391013' post='7417952']
[quote name='sTmGolfer' timestamp='1366770129' post='6904983']
[quote name='Instant Offense' timestamp='1366765853' post='6904389']
[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1366765762' post='6904375']
I've fiddled around with the G25's in stores and they simply look amazing, and are really a far cry from the G20's. Less offset and smaller sole. They are a descendant of the I5's, for sure.

I think Ping has a surefire classic here
[/quote]
Very well said... Marty Jertsen says they are the every mans iron.
[/quote]

I recently made the switch from the i20's to the G25's and couldn't be happier. I LOVED my stint with the i20's, but the G25's feel incredible and do everything I want them to do. I'm not an exceptional ball striker (I'm about a 6-7 hdcp), so these help me out incredibly. Like you said, the ease to move them is more so than I think most people give them credit for. I'm not looking to be the next Bubba and bend it 40 yards. I want to move it slightly left or slightly right and these clubs allow me to do that ... and most importantly, without the fear of overcooking it.

Great review. Enjoyed the read.
[/quote]

Can you compare the G25 and I20 when hit from tight hard lies, wet lies and deep grass? I'm a digger and concerned about sole interaction.
[/quote]

I'm also a digger and switched from i20's. Great from wet lies -- a little tougher from deep grass. Really good after a couple of beers.

i5's are my all-time favs but the added forgiveness is worth it. I've only been made fun of once so far ("shovels") and that was right before I took the fourth KP of the day off my smart a** buddy...

Stealth, TSR2, AP2's, and a JB Versa 

[quote name='LCP' timestamp='1373503134' post='7428334']
"Really good after a couple of beers."

I get really good after a couple of beers. It's when I have a couple of more beers that these might pay off. Thanks. I might wait to see what the I25's have in store.
[/quote]

At this point it's probably a good idea if you're on the fence or are worried the g25s would be too big for your liking. With that said the i25s will have to be out of this world to dethrone these clubs as Pings best of the year.

TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

Pretty sure I'm going to go fitted for set of these today... Reading all of this definitely got me excited for them. I've been playing MP69s the last year and a half but due to new job and new house I barely ever get out to play. :( I used to play almost every day now I'm lucky to get out twice a month.

Was a 7 handicap last year but my only 4 rounds I've played this year (ya, only 4 rounds, sad I know) have been mid to upper 80s. Think it is time to ditch the blades. Crossing my fingers these will help me out!! Wish me luck!

TM Q10 LS 9, Graphite Design AD XC X
TM M4 3 wood

TM Stealth 4 hybrid
TM p7mc 4-PW, DG S300
Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60
Titleist Scotty Cameron Squareback 2

[quote name='mweaver84' timestamp='1373544550' post='7430690']
Pretty sure I'm going to go fitted for set of these today... Reading all of this definitely got me excited for them. I've been playing MP69s the last year and a half but due to new job and new house I barely ever get out to play. :( I used to play almost every day now I'm lucky to get out twice a month.

Was a 7 handicap last year but my only 4 rounds I've played this year (ya, only 4 rounds, sad I know) have been mid to upper 80s. Think it is time to ditch the blades. Crossing my fingers these will help me out!! Wish me luck!
[/quote]

Good luck.........but you will not need it. If you can get past the difference in looks and feel they are everything you have read here. Very forgiving and consistent, point and shoot. I played MP 32 most of last year and since getting these two months ago I haven't looked back. My GIR have gone up and scores have gone down, whats not to like.

Lets us know how your fitting goes and what you think of them. If you can actually play some holes with even the 7 iron demo that would be better. Have fun.

Ping Rapture V2
Ping G15, four wood
Callaway X hot pro 20* hybrid
Ping G25 - 4 to PW
Callaway X tour 50*' 54* & 58*
Scotty newport

Well I recently got a set of 710mbs and I'm actually scoring a little better with them. The G25's are silly easy to hit but the blades are just so much more precise and the misses aren't that bad. Just a little shorter. For now, I'm going back to blades and will put the G25's into backup mode. I'm sure the blades will kick my arse and it'll be back to the G25s. There is something about blades that just pulls me back in.

Ping G430 LST 98 VenTUS Red TR 5 Stiff

Ping G410 5 Wood Aldila Rogue 130MSI 80 X

Ping G430 Max 7 Wood VA Composites Drago 65 Stiff

Ping G425 Max 9 wood Ventus Blus 7S

Ping G710 5-PW KBS Tour

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Anser 2

How are the G25.s on knock downs, punch outs, 1/2 shots and chips? I love the way my i20s feel with these shots-- do the G25s feel close to that.

TM SLDR with Motore Speeder
Cally XR 3 wood
Cally XHot 2 5w
Cally XR 7w
Ping G25 5i & 6i
Ping i20 CFS 7i - GW
Cally Jaws wedges 54* and 58*
Spider Daddy Long Legs 1st gen

Today played 9 holes with a demo set from my club... hit some good high shots but cant say if the set was perfect... I mean they were black dots, R flex CFS, standard length and regular grip... and I am Green dot, Stiff CFS, mid size grip and +1/2"... found I could easily play my knock downs and half shots... had to play a knock down 6i to escape trouble and it was flawless... kept missing greens to the right but been doing that for the past two weeks... they were good to look at.

TM SLDR with Motore Speeder
Cally XR 3 wood
Cally XHot 2 5w
Cally XR 7w
Ping G25 5i & 6i
Ping i20 CFS 7i - GW
Cally Jaws wedges 54* and 58*
Spider Daddy Long Legs 1st gen

[quote name='SoftFade_Ga' timestamp='1374111739' post='7477918']
Today played 9 holes with a demo set from my club... hit some good high shots but cant say if the set was perfect... I mean they were black dots, R flex CFS, standard length and regular grip... and I am Green dot, Stiff CFS, mid size grip and +1/2"... found I could easily play my knock downs and half shots... had to play a knock down 6i to escape trouble and it was flawless... kept missing greens to the right but been doing that for the past two weeks... they were good to look at.
[/quote]

I can only imagine your shots would be a lot better with the correct specs. I mean you were only off in every single category lol. I am still amazed at how well these can be flighted. I played yesterday and it started out calm but a thunderstorm was coming in and by the 14th hole it was blowing real hard. Those last few holes were into the wind, I was clubbing up at 2 or more and it worked out beautifully.

Are you considering a purchase or were you just taking them for curiosity sake.

Ping Rapture V2
Ping G15, four wood
Ping G25 - 4 to PW
Scotty newport

[quote name='lucariga' timestamp='1372689746' post='7361948']
I'm 9 hcp and play i15 with stock AWT Regular flex. My common mistake is a hook with longer irons and pull-hook with shorter. My pro told me that is more of a shaft issue than a swing flaw (hmmm i don't know if he's right), because I've tried other irons with stiffer flex, and my shot was straight to a little push.
My driver speed is about 102 mph
I'm thinking on switch to a G25 set with CFS Stiff shaft.

Some question for you guys:
What are the difference between CFS Stiff and KBS Tour Stiff in terms of flex and ball flight?
Will the extra offset of G25 make my hook/pull-hook worst?
Does the CFS Stiff play firmer than my AWT Regular?
[/quote]

KBS tour stiff will most definitely play stiffer than the CFS stiff. The CFS stiff is derived from the ZZ-65 shaft. In stiff, the CFS stiff, will play similar to a double soft-stepped stiff ZZ-65. The zz-65 stiff is a strong stiff. That being said, i play the CFS stiff in my I20s with the cushion insert and really like the shaft. I would say the CFS stiff plays a little soft to a stiff flex.

[color=#ffa500]Ping G400 Max 10* Fujikura Atmos
Ping G400 16.5 Tour80
Ping G400 Hybrid 19
Ping G Irons Nippon Pro Modus3 105
Ping I25 Gap/Callaway SW
Bobby Grace Smart Fit F-18[/color]

[quote name='kchuckb' timestamp='1373436532' post='7422752']
Are you guys going with the Cushin inserts on the CFS shafts in the 25 irons?
[/quote]

Most definitely. Had one of Ping's top fitter's say you should absolutely put them in Ping's shafts. I have them in my I20s and ever other Ping iron I've owned or own. I believe they make a difference in feel.

[color=#ffa500]Ping G400 Max 10* Fujikura Atmos
Ping G400 16.5 Tour80
Ping G400 Hybrid 19
Ping G Irons Nippon Pro Modus3 105
Ping I25 Gap/Callaway SW
Bobby Grace Smart Fit F-18[/color]

Had a chance to hit the g25 yesterday when I ran into a buddy on the course and I had to ask to hit a couple after reading all the hype. I played J40 cb for the last year until I put s56s in play in the spring. I play +1/2 and yellow dot w s400 these were cfs stock length and purple dot - flatter. These things are ridiculously long and straight. Feel is awesome and you can tell where you hit them. Didn't want to be a bag whore and hit his clubs the entire time, but that is exactly what I wanted to do after the first shot with the g25. Seriously may be time to move, felt insanely good, high but not balloon. If it only had a ferrule it would look so much better to me.

I am getting a little fed up with my G25s.
I have never missed so many birdie putts in my life.
/Sarcasm off/

Honestly, it is amazing, how many more greens I hit with them, especially from the range of 170 meters to 130 meters which is roughly 4-iron to 8-iron range for me. Now I get all those birdie putts in the 10 to 15 foot range, which I am not familiar with.

I see a gap. There definitely is a gap.

I have used Callaway Razr X irons for several months in 2012, with their "uniflex" shafts. I think my CFS-R shafts in the G20's I've had since January are softer. In any case G20's with CFS-R definitely launch the ball higher than Razr X with uniflex steel shafts. I suppose part of that could be the clubhead. The CFS feel softer though.

I'm guessing the uniflex Callaway shafts are somewhere between CFS-R and CFS-S in ballflight and feel.

[quote name='calc61' timestamp='1374450508' post='7508834']
I currently play cally x20's with uniflex but want a set of g25's.can somebody recommed a similar shaft?
[/quote]

CFS Stiff is closest I think, maybe CFS S soft stepped one time. Bought a set of Razr X pulls and put them in some spare heads after hard stepping them one time. Liked the shafts quite a bit actually. People bash them but I thought they were good. CFS plays soft to flex so they are sort of a uniflex, which falls between R and S.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

[quote name='avrag' timestamp='1374429391' post='7506348']
I am getting a little fed up with my G25s.
I have never missed so many birdie putts in my life.
/Sarcasm off/

Honestly, it is amazing, how many more greens I hit with them, especially from the range of 170 meters to 130 meters which is roughly 4-iron to 8-iron range for me. Now I get all those birdie putts in the 10 to 15 foot range, which I am not familiar with.
[/quote]

I hear and feel your pain. I never even carried a 4 iron in the past, now it is one of my favourite clubs. I had one round a few weeks ago where I was inside 6 feet three times from 175 - 190 out.

We need a G25 putter!!!!!!

Ping Rapture V2
Ping G15, four wood
Ping G25 - 4 to PW
Scotty newport