2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

G25 Iron Review (Low Handicapper)

Instant Offense

I finally got tired of reading this thread over the last few weeks and doing nothing about it. I played horrible over the weekend with my AP2 712's and went straight to the pro shop last night and ordered the G25s and am desperately hoping they will give me the confidence and results that they seem to be giving everyone else! They can't get here soon enough!

Titleist TSR2 9.0 with Graphite Design Tour AD-UB6S
[size=3]Titleist TSI2 13.5 degree with Graphite Design Tour AD-HD7S
Callaway Paradym Heavenwood
2023 TaylorMade P790 4-AW Nippon Pro Modus 120x
Titleist Vokey SM9 54 and 60 w/Nippon Pro Modus 120x
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2/TaylorMade Spider X Navy

[quote name='Gbyeball' timestamp='1374626821' post='7525934']
[quote name='avrag' timestamp='1374429391' post='7506348']
I am getting a little fed up with my G25s.
I have never missed so many birdie putts in my life.
/Sarcasm off/

Honestly, it is amazing, how many more greens I hit with them, especially from the range of 170 meters to 130 meters which is roughly 4-iron to 8-iron range for me. Now I get all those birdie putts in the 10 to 15 foot range, which I am not familiar with.
[/quote]

I hear and feel your pain. I never even carried a 4 iron in the past, now it is one of my favourite clubs. I had one round a few weeks ago where I was inside 6 feet three times from 175 - 190 out.

We need a G25 putter!!!!!!
[/quote]

Oh, by the way, Gbyeball, since you came from MP-32s, just like me, did you put the old Mizunos into play, just for fun, since getting the G25s?
I did a few days ago, and the results were a bit strange. I hit them very solidly all day long, except for two shots, one with the 4-iron and one with the 5-iron.
The biggest difference I saw was that I simply hit the G25s higher and about 3/4 of a club longer, which could also have to do with the shafts (Dynalite XP R 300 vs DG S 300).
But one thing is for sure, my swing with irons did not get sloppier because of using the G25s for the last 20 rounds or so. I still hit the MP-32s in the middle and straight most of the time like I used to, but I simply lose distance with them, when I hit the ball slightly thin or fat, which is where the G25s really shine.
On my home course, which is very "linksy" and plays very fast and firm at the moment, it really does not make much difference. But on other courses I have played in recent weeks with lots of greens protected by water hazards, I will always go with the G25s.

I see a gap. There definitely is a gap.

[quote name='Gbyeball' timestamp='1374140598' post='7479932']
[quote name='SoftFade_Ga' timestamp='1374111739' post='7477918']
Today played 9 holes with a demo set from my club... hit some good high shots but cant say if the set was perfect... I mean they were black dots, R flex CFS, standard length and regular grip... and I am Green dot, Stiff CFS, mid size grip and +1/2"... found I could easily play my knock downs and half shots... had to play a knock down 6i to escape trouble and it was flawless... kept missing greens to the right but been doing that for the past two weeks... they were good to look at.
[/quote]

I can only imagine your shots would be a lot better with the correct specs. I mean you were only off in every single category lol. I am still amazed at how well these can be flighted. I played yesterday and it started out calm but a thunderstorm was coming in and by the 14th hole it was blowing real hard. Those last few holes were into the wind, I was clubbing up at 2 or more and it worked out beautifully.

Are you considering a purchase or were you just taking them for curiosity sake.
[/quote]

I purchased a set (that will arrive today) and was just monkeying around in the club when our pro said he had a set for demo... thought take them out for a test run with tree and grass and O.B. around LOL

TM SLDR with Motore Speeder
Cally XR 3 wood
Cally XHot 2 5w
Cally XR 7w
Ping G25 5i & 6i
Ping i20 CFS 7i - GW
Cally Jaws wedges 54* and 58*
Spider Daddy Long Legs 1st gen

avrag

To answer your question , no I have not even hit the MP 32 since getting the G25. I have been the biggest forged iron ho over the last couple years, still have 5 sets in the basement. I came to the conclusion that jumping around from set to set was really hurting me. So I am basically on the Ping G25 wagon, they work great so I am not tempted. Well mavbe a little.........

Ping Rapture V2
Ping G15, four wood
Callaway X hot pro 20* hybrid
Ping G25 - 4 to PW
Callaway X tour 50*' 54* & 58*
Scotty newport

[quote name='Gbyeball' timestamp='1374795802' post='7539982']
avrag

To answer your question , no I have not even hit the MP 32 since getting the G25. I have been the biggest forged iron ho over the last couple years, still have 5 sets in the basement. I came to the conclusion that jumping around from set to set was really hurting me. So I am basically on the Ping G25 wagon, they work great so I am not tempted. Well mavbe a little.........
[/quote]

You're tempted...I am loving my MP-32s more and more every day. I'm sure they are lonely down in the basement...

Well my G25s arrived yesterday and I immediately swapped out the i20s and bagged the G25 for a practice session... on the range they performed like I expected nice forgiving and high... on the course... I have to say they want to go straight, even when I did my over the top move I could see that they still wanted to go straight :D... I found I was hitting them straight to slight draw.. I would say I picked up 1/2 a club but will know definitely with a full round under pressure.... I will give big ups to how the G25s handle misses.. I mean I hit a few thin and they flew straight and I put down another ball and hit it flush and when I got to the balls the flush ball was roughly 4 yards further... On the negative I did hit a few high on the face and like my i20s saw a loss of distance but not direction... on half shots and chips the clubs didnt give me the hot shot flyers and felt I could control the distances...

Next big test is the weekend -- Saturday 5 foursomes with my $$ on the line and Sunday 4 foursomes... I feel confident with them already but there is nothing like live action...

Cally XR 3 wood
Cally XHot 2 5w
Cally XR 7w
Ping G25 5i & 6i
Ping i20 CFS 7i - GW

[quote name='SHORTBUTSTR8' timestamp='1374842833' post='7542710']
[quote name='Gbyeball' timestamp='1374795802' post='7539982']
avrag

[/quote]

You're tempted...I am loving my MP-32s more and more every day. I'm sure they are lonely down in the basement...
[/quote]

I came oh so close to taking them to the driving range a couple of days ago. Great clubs and you know I love them, glad they are still working well for you. I am sure at one point they will see some action. Though I am too scared to fall back in love with the great feel LOL

Ping Rapture V2
Ping G15, four wood
Callaway X hot pro 20* hybrid
Ping G25 - 4 to PW
Callaway X tour 50*' 54* & 58*
Scotty newport

Did a fitting at Roger Dunn and still ended up with the KBS Tour stiff....more or less, just swappng my S57 heads with the G25! Looking forward to this as my swing is still whacky.

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz Maz Broomstick ACCRA shaft, 44"
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

Just received my G25 irons (happy s56 player previously). Every year, these threads make me question what I am doing playing "players irons" (high single figures player). I get the next "it" GI iron and fail to improve and end up back where I started. The reviews of the G25 were so good that this time must be different. I got fitted and went all in, 4-LW. Upon receipt, I was very pleased. They look great behind the ball, looked so easy to hit and w the dark finish even looked good in the bag. Hit the range today and was totally deflated. Hit EVERY club fat. Could not hit them dead nuts to save my life. Apparently, I am not good enough to transition to GI irons (i know truly talented players can hit anything, thats why they have OMG moments when they hit GI irons) Totally demoralizing. I will consult w my pro, but ready to abandon them before playing a single hole w them...

[quote name='lrl' timestamp='1375405058' post='7587370']
Just received my G25 irons (happy s56 player previously). Every year, these threads make me question what I am doing playing "players irons" (high single figures player). I get the next "it" GI iron and fail to improve and end up back where I started. The reviews of the G25 were so good that this time must be different. I got fitted and went all in, 4-LW. Upon receipt, I was very pleased. They look great behind the ball, looked so easy to hit and w the dark finish even looked good in the bag. Hit the range today and was totally deflated. Hit EVERY club fat. Could not hit them dead nuts to save my life. Apparently, I am not good enough to transition to GI irons (i know truly talented players can hit anything, thats why they have OMG moments when they hit GI irons) Totally demoralizing. I will consult w my pro, but ready to abandon them before playing a single hole w them...
[/quote]

Ah come on man. Crack a frosty beverage and take a deep breath. At your handicap you can hit them fine. Just need a little time to get acclimated. Don't do anything rash like sell them just yet.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

I am actually struggling to pure them too. I have played a players cavity back like the AP2 and TM MC's for years and it has been tough to hit them correctly myself. I am sticking with them until I get it right.

TM Stealth2+ 10.5 Diamana T+ 60s

TM Stealth2 15* TM Ventus TR 6-S 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

[quote name='Nessism' timestamp='1375405402' post='7587420']
[/quote]

Ah come on man. Crack a frosty beverage and take a deep breath. At your handicap you can hit them fine. Just need a little time to get acclimated. Don't do anything rash like sell them just yet.
[/quote]

Actually I believe you should do just that, sell them fast and cheap. What color code, flex, and length are they? I love my i20's but I may give you a very small amount for them.

My 12 year old son loves them so Santa probably will be bringing him a set.

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

[/quote]

That is a shaft/swing weight issue. It isn't a clubhead issue.

Get the shaft sorted out, and at the proper swing weight, and you'll be a happy camper.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

I'm on my second season with my G20s and am hitting my irons (truly) better than I EVER have. I can tell exactly where on the clubface I hit the ball

Every time I try the G25 though, muted, dull, not sure where I hit it on the face,,,,,,, nuthin',,,,,,,,,,,,, :dntknw:

[font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#ff8c00][b]Cobra Bio Cell+[/b][/color]
[color=#000080][b]Adams A12 Pro 16, 20, 23[/b][/color]
[b][color=#696969]Ping G20, 5-SW, C-Taper stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#ff0000][b]TM xft wedge 64[/b][/color]
[b][color="#000000"]Scotty Futura X[/color][/b][/font]
[font=comic sans ms,cursive][b]ProV1x[/b][/font]

The G25s are not better than the i20s but are just as good in a different way.... for me a higher ball flight and straight and to me a little hotter around the greens when chipping with the i20s... I am not selling my i20s but I am digging the G25's.... had a great practice with them as I am getting some tempo issues resolved.

Cally XR 3 wood
Cally XHot 2 5w
Cally XR 7w
Ping G25 5i & 6i
Ping i20 CFS 7i - GW

had a great day of ball striking with the G25s... my only complaint is that they are a b**** to keep that back cavity clean ROFL... need running water to keep the grass and sand out... by the time I got to 18 my swing weight was up a 1/2 point LOL

Cally XR 3 wood
Cally XHot 2 5w
Cally XR 7w
Ping G25 5i & 6i
Ping i20 CFS 7i - GW

Hi,
I just got a set of G25 irons last month. I agree and absolutely love them. I have only played 2 rounds with them but I seem to be getting use to them. Each round they are going a little more longer. Getting use to the heads feel and looks. Completely different, but in a great way. I think these will take my game to the next level. :-)

[/quote]
Hit the range and change the ball and head position on the ball. I found that I had to set up with the ball near the hosle more nd a little more up in my stance.

[quote name='Japikid' timestamp='1375564725' post='7598494']

[/quote]
Hit the range and change the ball and head position on the ball. I found that I had to set up with the ball near the hosle more nd a little more up in my stance.
[/quote]
This was helpful. Thx. Need to adjust to/ re-learn how to hit w all that offset

What are the arguements in faveur of G25's versus the i-5 irons? To me the i-5 seem just as accurate and easy to play-with the same shaft options.

They are slightly less offset and perhaps even a bit less clunky...

Driver  :XXIO 10
Woods : COBRA RADSPEED 3W + 5W
Hybrids : NONE 
Irons : JPX-800-HD
Wedges : CLEVELAND CBX2  50-11 + 56-12 + 60-10
Putter : ODYSSEY WHITE HOT  RX  #2

[quote name='Profiler' timestamp='1375582496' post='7599768']
I picked up a set on Friday per this thread.

Drive to course this morning, skipped the range and went to first tee. Shot an 82 due to a slight bogey train I rode for 4 holes.

With some range work, I could be pleased. Did not like to chip with them. I'll need to work on that as well.
[/quote]

THats was my concern and I am working through it also... definitely hotter than my i20s... hit some good chips with the 9i after a good lesson from Mr. Breed.

Cally XR 3 wood
Cally XHot 2 5w
Cally XR 7w
Ping G25 5i & 6i
Ping i20 CFS 7i - GW

[quote name='puttitin' timestamp='1375629590' post='7601596']
What are the arguements in faveur of G25's versus the i-5 irons? To me the i-5 seem just as accurate and easy to play-with the same shaft options.

[/quote]

G25 heads are larger, and more forgiving. More offset too. i5's are players clubs, G25's are GI.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

Still waiting for mine, apparently Ping ran out of KBS Tour stiff shafts...so its the end of this week. Living with my S57 and so looking forward to easier to hit irons.

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz Maz Broomstick ACCRA shaft, 44"
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

so damn happy with mine. It's so easy to hit them, had one of my best shots with them. It makes a lot of fun to play with them.

TaylorMade M2 2016, 8.0* UST ATTAS GoGo 5 6X
TaylorMade SLDR 14.3* UST Chrome 8FT5
Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 18* Speeder TS HB 9.8X
Srixon Z 765 4-PW Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S
Titleist SM6 50F, 56M, 60K Kuro Kage TiNi LBP 105TX
Evnroll ER2

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/921839-first-witb-guess-where-im-from/"]WITB Link[/url]

[/quote]

I felt obligated to relpy to this as I switched from the i5s when I got the g25s.

Overall, the g25s are just bigger than the i5s. Bigger sole, thicker top line, longer face, you name it, its pretty much larger on the g25. However, with that said, I think the g25s are every bit as playable as the i5s with the addition of about 50x more forgiveness (maybe a bit over the top, but they're way more forgiving). I would probably say if I had the same shafts in my g25s they'd be higher launching, however, I went C-Taper route (compared to s400 in my i5s).

Bottom line, I think they're a set of just as playable, slightly bigger, and way more forgiving i5s.

Aerojet LS 9* - Aerojet LS 14.5* - Baffler 17.5* - Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

[/quote]

I'm three/four weeks in and can only tell you that the game is more fun....slight mishits become birdie putts (had a 25 footer today that would have been in the trap with my i5s......you only give up a slight degree of feel on pured i5 shots which is worth it to me. I'm a 9 and play a tough course. Bag your ego and game these

Stealth, TSR2, AP2's, and a JB Versa