2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

G25 Iron Review (Low Handicapper)

Instant Offense

[quote name='Gbyeball' timestamp='1377429642' post='7740147']
[quote name='joeshmo' timestamp='1377417060' post='7739995']
I've been playing the G25's since the beginning of June. Switched from
many years of TM 300's.
2 complaints so far. For the life of me I can't draw the ball and 2 when the wind
is 25mph + l-r or r-l the ball will not move. Strong r-l I aim right edge of the green
and the ball ends up on the right edge of the green.
All in all these are the best clubs I've ever played.
[/quote]

I have found these irons very easy to draw and fade. I did go with the CFS regular flex shaft, came from DGS300 as an experiment and assume the soft shafts are what allows me to work the ball. What shafts are you playing, did you consistently draw your other irons.

The ball NOT being moved by a 25mph crosswind would seem to be a positive as oppossed to a negative. Not sure what you mean. 100% agree about best clubs ever played, if hitting greens is important!!!!!!
[/quote]

I could draw the ball some with my old clubs. I have the CFS stiff which are probably the problem
since I'm older and don't have the speed.
The wind thing, a weak attempt at being sarcastic. I love that I hit the ball so solid now
it flies straight in a crosswind. I just haven't adjusted to it and still give the same allowance I
did with my old irons. Confidence will come I hope.

Talent is the desire to practice

[quote name='tdeutmeyer' timestamp='1377469733' post='7742997']
After reading all the reviews maybe it is time to trade off the i-20's....
[/quote]
Why I ask? Only because I think I want the i20's instead of the G25's? Do we need to talk;)

TM Stealth2+ 10.5 Diamana T+ 60s

TM Stealth2 15* TM Ventus TR 6-S 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

[quote name='OspreyCI' timestamp='1377470954' post='7743107']
[quote name='tdeutmeyer' timestamp='1377469733' post='7742997']
After reading all the reviews maybe it is time to trade off the i-20's....
[/quote]
Why I ask? Only because I think I want the i20's instead of the G25's? Do we need to talk;)
[/quote]

No good reason to switch. I like my I20's. They are the best irons I have hit in probablly 10 yrs. I just get bored and like to try something different a little too often... Maybe we should talk.

Last time I used PING was with the PING Eye2, I then switched to Callaway X series, while looking at the new offerings from Callaway my wife reminded me of PING and what they do for wounded Vets (they pick 20 wounded Vets a year and hook them up with an entire new set of clubs from putter to driver) so I tried the G-25's,,,, monitor said I was hitting a 6 iron 175-79 yards with mostly minute fades (with roll !) tried my Callaway X-22 Tour 6 iron, if I REALLY got on it 173-75 with no assurance the ball would stay in the same county.

When I was done the wife asked how I liked them, I told her it was the best irons I had hit, she smiled and said "Well? then why didn't you order them? Happy Anniversary!",,,,,,,,, I had them back 9 days total after I ordered them via Roger Dunn,,,

Have hit many, many 6 irons 180 yards (with roll) pretty much were I have aimed,,,, the distance loss is minimal on less than pure swings, I really have to try to mess up a shot or try something my 14 handicap wont allow me to really lose lots of distance,,,, feeling is WAY better than my X-22's,,,,,, I thin in part because of the fitting , it was waaaayyyy better at Roger Dunn,took 40 minutes!, than the old Nevada Bob's who took about 5,,,,,,,,,

And as a bonus, PING had a rebate of $10 per iron for Active, Guard, Reserve and us retired military,,,,, that rebate went to the Wounded warrior program,,,,,,

Legs got tired on 15.....started to hit bad shots. Hit a 7 iron from 155 off toe and thought I'd be bunkered. Got up to green to see I was 20 ft which I promptly drained. Three pars later and I had my personal best 3 over. I'm positive I saved 3-4 shots because of irons.

Stealth, TSR2, AP2's, and a JB Versa 

I have decided to throw in the towel on this experiment. I will go back to my s56 irons - I just hit them more crisply. It has to be the offset. I have sets of the Burner TPs and Rapture J Spec that I hit better that the G25. I completely buy into the philosophy that handicap golfers should play the most forgiving irons that they can, and was very hopeful that the G25 would make a difference - ie state of the art. I think that the Holy Grail for the single figures player is an oversized, low (lower) offset, thin soled club. The Callaway x-14 Pros bring back great memories...

Really enjoying the Ping knowledge within this thread. Thanks folks! That being said I'm a Ping guy and have been for ever, Been away from golf for a year and a half, played a couple rounds the last month and my HC is gonna be around a 15-18. Im looking to club up from my older custom KZG's, I can pick up some G15's U-4 Reg flex for 349.00 + tax. I looked hard at the G25's. Dont mind spending the extra $$$ for the G25's. Could my game benefit from the G25's over the G15's? As I Jump back in the game much more?

Thanks Much for the feedback.

Kingfisher

Driver-Ping G25 8.5* TFC 189 R Flex
Irons-Ping G25 4-W, Blue dot, CFS R Flex
Wedges- KZG Forged II 56*, 60*
Putter- Ping Scottsdale Half Pipe
ALABAMA CRIMSON TIDE
"ROLL TIDE ROLL"

[quote name='Kingfisher69' timestamp='1377571673' post='7750787']
Really enjoying the Ping knowledge within this thread. Thanks folks! That being said I'm a Ping guy and have been for ever, Been away from golf for a year and a half, played a couple rounds the last month and my HC is gonna be around a 15-18. Im looking to club up from my older custom KZG's, I can pick up some G15's U-4 Reg flex for 349.00 + tax. I looked hard at the G25's. Dont mind spending the extra $$$ for the G25's. Could my game benefit from the G25's over the G15's? As I Jump back in the game much more?

Thanks Much for the feedback.

Kingfisher
[/quote]

Try the G20s as well. I think they're better than the 15s and to ME they play a fair bit different than the 25s.

I'm on my 2nd season of G20s and hit them great. I have a fair bit of trouble hitting the 25s solidly,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

[font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#ff8c00][b]Cobra Bio Cell+[/b][/color]
[color=#000080][b]Adams A12 Pro 16, 20, 23[/b][/color]
[b][color=#696969]Ping G20, 5-SW, C-Taper stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#ff0000][b]TM xft wedge 64[/b][/color]
[b][color="#000000"]Scotty Futura X[/color][/b][/font]
[font=comic sans ms,cursive][b]ProV1x[/b][/font]

Kingfisher, I have both. They are virtually identical. If you play in REALLY firm conditions all year round, the 25's may be a bit bitter. Other than that, they play almost identically!

Stealth OG 10.5 Ventus Red 6s

Epic flash 18deg Fujikura pro 6.0s

Maverick 21deg 7wd Fujikura pro 7.0S

5i-Aw Srixon ZX5  KBS TGI 100

52 Glide 4.0 SS KBS TGI 100

56 Glide 4.0 WS KBS TGI 100

60 Glide 4.0 TS KBS TGI 100

Lab DF3 70 deg 35.5" Accra Black

[quote name='ephmen' timestamp='1377890558' post='7773091']
Kingfisher, I have both. They are virtually identical. If you play in REALLY firm conditions all year round, the 25's may be a bit bitter. Other than that, they play almost identically!
[/quote]
I played the G15's for about a month. They are extremely forgiving like the G25's but that wide sole just made consistent contact difficult for me.

Recently shot my career best front nine at my home course. G25's still going strong.
One slight weak spot of the G25's (for me) are that they're not very good off of hardpan/tight lies. It's harder to pick it clean like one can with a blade. But that's a small trade off for what it has to offer overall.

Ping G430 LST 9 Ventus Red TR 5 Stiff

Ping G410 5 Wood Aldila Rogue 130MSI 80 X

Ping G430 Max 7 Wood VA Composites Drago 65 Stiff

Ping G425 Max 9 wood Ventus Blus 7S

Ping G710 5-PW KBS Tour

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Anser 2

The G25's are NOT just another version of the G series! Check the specs on the Ping website to confirm this, but the G25's are engineered differently than the G10, 15, and 20 lines.

The offset has been reduced, and is now in between previous G series irons and the i series irons; that's significant, at least visually. Maybe even more significantly (depending on how you swing and the lie you are playing from) the G25's have an extra degree of bounce added from previous G series irons despite a thinner sole. Ping has added bounce to the i series irons over the years; the i5 6 iron had 3*, while the i20 has 7*.

Interestingly, the i20's have as much or more bounce through the set than even the G25's do, so it looks like Ping is moving G series irons toward thinner soles with added bounce, which I like. But it takes a little getting used to...

[quote name='bluedot' timestamp='1377954749' post='7776413']
The G25's are NOT just another version of the G series! Check the specs on the Ping website to confirm this, but the G25's are engineered differently than the G10, 15, and 20 lines.

The offset has been reduced, and is now in between previous G series irons and the i series irons; that's significant, at least visually. Maybe even more significantly (depending on how you swing and the lie you are playing from) the G25's have an extra degree of bounce added from previous G series irons despite a thinner sole. Ping has added bounce to the i series irons over the years; the i5 6 iron had 3*, while the i20 has 7*.

Interestingly, the i20's have as much or more bounce through the set than even the G25's do, so it looks like Ping is moving G series irons toward thinner soles with added bounce, which I like. But it takes a little getting used to...
[/quote]

G25's have ONE degree of extra bounce compared to G15. G25 long irons have virtually the same offset, but the short irons have about .040" (1mm) less. Not sure I'd call changes like these "significant", but I would call them welcome.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

[quote name='Nessism' timestamp='1377956874' post='7776493']

[/quote]

G25's have ONE degree of extra bounce compared to G15. G25 long irons have virtually the same offset, but the short irons have about .040" (1mm) less. Not sure I'd call changes like these "significant", but I would call them welcome.
[/quote]
Earlier in this thread and MANY pages back we discussed the variations with actual measurements:
G25 7iron: Sole (middle): 0.93''
Topline (middle): 0.310''
G20 7iron: Sole (middle): 1.105''
Topline (middle): 0.320''
G15 7 iron: Sole (middle) 1.050"
Topline (middle) 0.319"
Along with Nessism, I wouldn't say the changes are significant. Visually, PING did a great job of making it appear so, however.

Callaway Mavrik 9* w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 60
Callaway Mavrik 3 wood w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 70
Callaway Mavrik 3 hybrid w/ Project X Catalyst 75
PXG Gen 1 0311X 4 iron w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80
PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 5-7 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 8-GW w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 54 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 60 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

Titleist Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 

[quote name='specimania' timestamp='1377993341' post='7778787']
Are the KBS tours a upcharge, significant one at that?
[/quote]

Yeah, depends on who you go to...$9 to $10 per club. Mate, its well worth it...hard to go past the smoothness of my KBS.

Now, do they make a 2 iron? I am hitting my 3 iron great and its saving my butt on the errant drives...so I think I may order a 2 iron, if they make it, otherwise I may have to look at getting a 3 iron and bending it to 2 iron (wonder if thats possible)? Don't get me started on a hybrid, my swing at the moment does not like my RBZ Tour 16.5, hitting it high cut aka slice, no joy. This use to be my best "saver" club.

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz Maz Broomstick ACCRA shaft, 44"
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

G25 driver - not bad but not as long for me. I just picked up an Adams Fast 12 LS today with the Fubuki Alpha instead. Way less money and the quite an increase in clubhead speed was the main selling point for me. I was hoping the G25 would work out as I totally liked the G20 driver with the Blueboard (another silly BSTing decision).

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz Maz Broomstick ACCRA shaft, 44"
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

[quote name='gallas2' timestamp='1377453882' post='7741315']
[quote name='^m9' timestamp='1377317384' post='7735701']
[quote name='J-Tizzle' timestamp='1377010284' post='7712198']
Just another check-in on this thread. Played my frist round in over a month last Saturday. Hit it OK at best (and I mean like the best way to describe the ball striking of my round was bleh), 16/18 greens on a 7,000 yard course, 34 putts, 71 (-1).

These things are just amazing. On number 6, I had 222 left to the pin with a carry of about 195-200 to clear water short of the green into a slight breeze, hit 2" behind the 4 iron and put it on the front edge (so probably 205 carry). It's a terrible strike but these clubs alone kept that ball from getting wet and adding atleast 2 strokes to the round on that single shot.

The S55s look sexy, but you'll have to pry my G25s out of my cold dead hands.
[/quote]

Holy $h1t! You weren't striking it well that round and shot a -1 from 7000 yard tees and hit 16 of 18 greens? OMG. I'm playing i5s right now and hit them pretty good, but this thread is really making me want to demo a set of G25s on an actual round of golf too see how my GIRs gets affected! I only hit 4-10 greens on average and the only thing that keeps me shooting in the high 70s and low to mid 80s is my chipping and putting. When those two things are off, the score creeps up into the high 80s! Grrrr.

Will I look like a poser with G25 series from driver to PW? ;P
[/quote]

Do it. I came from i5s and have similar game. My course has tiny greens and these things are laser straight. Confidence is way up.
[/quote]

Currently searching online for some good deals! Thanks for the feedback. Gotta get my GIRs way up. The greens at my course are somewhat difficult to hit.

TITLEIST TSR2 TENSEI AV BLUE XLINK 65S

3w broken

PING G430 3H 4H TOUR 2.0 CHROME 85S

PING i230 5-PW MODUS 115S

TITLEIST SM9 50F 54D 58D S200

LAB DF3 BLK, 73°, 35", Heavy

Pulled the trigger on a 4-W set yesterday that were on the used rack at my local shop. Traded in a few things and scored a good deal. Took them out for a few holes before sundown and I liked what I saw. Stock CFS Stiff shafts are probably going to get pulled. Thinking of PX 6.0 or Pxi 6.0 to throw in them, maybe even the modus 3.

Driver: Cobra LTDx LS w/ Ventus Red 
FW: TM Sim2 Ti 15deg w/ Tensei Blue

Hybrid: PING 425  w/ Rogue 95tx

Irons: Cobra Forded Tec 22' 4-PW w/ Recoil 1110 F5
Wedges: Edel SMS 54-58
Putter: Cobra Stingray 40

[quote name='dxdgenert' timestamp='1377961200' post='7776779']

[/quote]

[/quote]
Earlier in this thread and MANY pages back we discussed the variations with actual measurements:
Topline (middle) 0.319"
Along with Nessism, I wouldn't say the changes are significant. Visually, PING did a great job of making it appear so, however.
[/quote]

So maybe we'll have to agree to disagree here. I agree that the topline is visual more than it is performance. Sole width, offset, and bounce are a different story, though. Not to get all math geeky, but...

Using the 7 iron, the sole width of the G25's has been reduced by 15%, with a nearly a 17% increase in bounce from the G20's. The two combined are, to me, a pretty significant difference and I think the club plays significantly differently that previous G series irons because of that. (The G20's, 15's, and 10's were essentially identical in terms of offset and bounce.) For instance, if you were told that wedge A had 17% more or less bounce than wedge B, that would seem significant, wouldn't it?

The offset change is smaller at about 12.5%, but that still strikes me as a significant number, especially because I play a draw. I gave up on G10's and went back to my i5's because of the offset and the hooks; so far, at least, no issues with the G25's on that score.

For the most part, I don't think Ping club changes tend to be about stuff that is visual only. Ping is still what it has always been; a company run primarily by engineers.

[quote name='bluedot' timestamp='1378063431' post='7782073']

[/quote]

[/quote]
Topline (middle) 0.319"
[/quote]

So maybe we'll have to agree to disagree here. I agree that the topline is visual more than it is performance. Sole width, offset, and bounce are a different story, though. Not to get all math geeky, but...

Using the 7 iron, the sole width of the G25's has been reduced by 15%, with a nearly a 17% increase in bounce from the G20's. The two combined are, to me, a pretty significant difference and I think the club plays significantly differently that previous G series irons because of that. (The G20's, 15's, and 10's were essentially identical in terms of offset and bounce.) [b]For instance, if you were told that wedge A had 17% more or less bounce than wedge B, that would seem significant, wouldn't it?[/b]
[/quote]

No, not necessarily.

When Callaway came out (4 or 5 years ago ?) with one of its version of wedges (Mack Daddy ?) and Mickelson was playing them there was a concern about the rather large 16*(?) bounce angle on his SW. I play a TM XFT 56* SW with 16 degrees of bounce. It probably plays very similarly to a wedge with a wider sole that only has 14 or 12 degrees of bounce.

I imagine Ping did the same with the 20s and 25s. They narrowed the sole but increased the bounce to have them play similarly.

The explanation is fairly simple if you think about it. As the sole of the club gets wider the bounce angle needs to be lowered to produce similar playing characteristics (vis-a-vis bounce that is).

Imagine the club soled. Now extend the descending line representing the bounce angle on say, a narrow soled club. Now imagine the sole extended further back. As you do this you realize that the further back the line is extended the more the club would "bounce" YET the bounce ANGLE remains unchanged.

I'm sure Ping has its reasons for having changed the G25s the way they did. I play the 20s and love 'em. I'm a bit of a "digger" and the wider soles help me out on a slightly heavy hit. I've tried the 25s and have all sorts of issues with 'em.

Different strokes for different folks but I wouldn't get hung up on bounce angles. Hit 'em and see if they work for you,,,,,,

[font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#ff8c00][b]Cobra Bio Cell+[/b][/color]
[color=#000080][b]Adams A12 Pro 16, 20, 23[/b][/color]
[b][color=#696969]Ping G20, 5-SW, C-Taper stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#ff0000][b]TM xft wedge 64[/b][/color]
[b][color="#000000"]Scotty Futura X[/color][/b][/font]
[font=comic sans ms,cursive][b]ProV1x[/b][/font]

[quote name='gopherguts' timestamp='1378093618' post='7784325']
[quote name='bluedot' timestamp='1378063431' post='7782073']

[/quote]

[/quote]
Topline (middle) 0.319"
[/quote]

Using the 7 iron, the sole width of the G25's has been reduced by 15%, with a nearly a 17% increase in bounce from the G20's. The two combined are, to me, a pretty significant difference and I think the club plays significantly differently that previous G series irons because of that. (The G20's, 15's, and 10's were essentially identical in terms of offset and bounce.) [b]For instance, if you were told that wedge A had 17% more or less bounce than wedge B, that would seem significant, wouldn't it?[/b]
[/quote]

No, not necessarily.

When Callaway came out (4 or 5 years ago ?) with one of its version of wedges (Mack Daddy ?) and Mickelson was playing them there was a concern about the rather large 16*(?) bounce angle on his SW. I play a TM XFT 56* SW with 16 degrees of bounce. It probably plays very similarly to a wedge with a wider sole that only has 14 or 12 degrees of bounce.

I imagine Ping did the same with the 20s and 25s. They narrowed the sole but increased the bounce to have them play similarly.

The explanation is fairly simple if you think about it. As the sole of the club gets wider the bounce angle needs to be lowered to produce similar playing characteristics (vis-a-vis bounce that is).

Imagine the club soled. Now extend the descending line representing the bounce angle on say, a narrow soled club. Now imagine the sole extended further back. As you do this you realize that the further back the line is extended the more the club would "bounce" YET the bounce ANGLE remains unchanged.

I'm sure Ping has its reasons for having changed the G25s the way they did. I play the 20s and love 'em. I'm a bit of a "digger" and the wider soles help me out on a slightly heavy hit. I've tried the 25s and have all sorts of issues with 'em.

Different strokes for different folks but I wouldn't get hung up on bounce angles. Hit 'em and see if they work for you,,,,,,
[/quote]

I have a set of G25's, and they do work for me. They replaced my i5's, and I traded in my sets of G10's and G5's in the purchase. So I've been down the Ping road for awhile now. (I've also had Eyes, Eye2's, Zing2's, ISI BeCu's, and i3's over the last 30+ years!)

Unlike the Ping guys, I'm NOT an engineer. But I'll stand by my belief that the G25's don't just LOOK different than the previous G irons; they have different playing characteristics. Offset is more than cosmetic, and so are sole width and bounce; that's all I was saying in my previous post. And you kind of confirm that by saying that you use the G20's but that you had "all sorts of issues with 'em"; I assume you are talking about ball flight there.

I don't know enough about club design to say for sure what Ping was trying to do with the sole and bounce changes in the G25 compared to the G20. My point was that as a percentage, those changes were significant and not merely cosmetic.

Repeating myself on page 19 of this thread (mentioned earlier and in other G-series threads) but after playing G10's, G20's, and now G25's extensively, in my experience they all play interchangeably. Bounce and offset difference are very minor. G25's have a slightly more rounded leading edge which in my experience is more important than the sole and bounce changes in terms of playability if you get a little steep into the ball (as I do). My local course is a burnt out mess with very little fairway grass, but even with the G20's with their humongo soles I have no issue picking the ball off tight lies. The wide sole has a lot of mass down low which really helps if you catch the ball thin. The G25's have thinner soles in the short irons, but I think the difference is more cosmetic than functional. Just go ahead and hit the ball with a descending angle strike and the ball will be gone off the face before the sole comes into play. Don't take me wrong, I prefer the G25's to these others, just don't think the difference is as big a deal as some others here suggest.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

[quote name='Nessism' timestamp='1378126937' post='7785101']
Repeating myself on page 19 of this thread (mentioned earlier and in other G-series threads) but after playing G10's, G20's, and now G25's extensively, in my experience they all play interchangeably. Bounce and offset difference are very minor. G25's have a slightly more rounded leading edge which in my experience is more important than the sole and bounce changes in terms of playability if you get a little steep into the ball (as I do). My local course is a burnt out mess with very little fairway grass, but even with the G20's with their humongo soles I have no issue picking the ball off tight lies. The wide sole has a lot of mass down low which really helps if you catch the ball thin. The G25's have thinner soles in the short irons, but I think the difference is more cosmetic than functional. Just go ahead and hit the ball with a descending angle strike and the ball will be gone off the face before the sole comes into play. Don't take me wrong, I prefer the G25's to these others, just don't think the difference is as big a deal as some others here suggest.
[/quote]

Again, I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one, though it seems we both like the clubs; I think the engineering/performance of the G25's IS significantly different.

The G25's, at least to me, are a happy midpoint (both visually AND in engineering/performance) in between the i5's and the G10's, both of which I owned and played hundreds of rounds with. I was never fully happy with the G10's for a lot of reasons and kept going back to my i5's, and I hit both the G15's and G20's and couldn't see any difference from the G10's; in fact, I'm not sure I could have identified which one was which at address.

Anyway, they are great clubs.

I think the differences between the G25s and the previous G series irons may be more important to some of us than to others. Since I tend to be a "picker" who rarely takes a serious divot, the soles on the G15 short irons were too wide to keep from bouncing a bit off the turf on some shots. For those who are "diggers," the wide G15 soles were probably fine. (I haven't played the G20s enough to have a strong opinion about them.)

When I bought my G15s, I had Ping do the tour grind (which at the time included an overall reduction in bounce, a heel grind, and a trailing edge grind). Those grinds made the G15 short irons very functional for me. In trying out the G25s, I found that I didn't need to get any custom grinds because there was already quite a bit of trailing edge relief on them. In fact, the G25 sole contours are very similar to the Ping Raptures that I still play in the longer (4-6) irons. So for a "picker" like me, the G25s are different enough not to require a sole grind while the G15s needed the grind to work for me. Of course, that's a difference that may not matter to every player.

SDL

[quote name='SDL' timestamp='1378133178' post='7785445']
I think the differences between the G25s and the previous G series irons may be more important to some of us than to others. Since I tend to be a "picker" who rarely takes a serious divot, the soles on the G15 short irons were too wide to keep from bouncing a bit off the turf on some shots. For those who are "diggers," the wide G15 soles were probably fine. (I haven't played the G20s enough to have a strong opinion about them.)

When I bought my G15s, I had Ping do the tour grind (which at the time included an overall reduction in bounce, a heel grind, and a trailing edge grind). Those grinds made the G15 short irons very functional for me. In trying out the G25s, I found that I didn't need to get any custom grinds because there was already quite a bit of trailing edge relief on them. In fact, the G25 sole contours are very similar to the Ping Raptures that I still play in the longer (4-6) irons. So for a "picker" like me, the G25s are different enough not to require a sole grind while the G15s needed the grind to work for me. Of course, that's a difference that may not matter to every player.

SDL
[/quote]

Interesting, and very plausible. I'm am a picker as well, and I had good success with the ISI's, i3's, and i5's. Not so much with the G5's and G10's.

[quote name='Nessism' timestamp='1378126937' post='7785101']
[/quote]

This brings to mind the old Alien sand wedge. The sole was humungous. The commercial showed how easy it made hitting from any lie. They showed hitting it from paved cart paths and a wooden bridge to name a few. Just some food for thought on hitting a wide sole.. [media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UX86csQORFc[/media]

Ping G 10*- 44.5" Adjusted to 11*
Ping i3OS 4 thru UW
Cobra SS 5 wood

Cobra Speed LD 15* 3 Wood
Titleist Vokey 56* -SW
Ping Redwood- 34"
Callaway Supersoft

Anyone playing these with PX (flighted or non) or Modus3??

What are the updates for those that put The PXi in the G25's over the CFS?

Driver: Cobra LTDx LS w/ Ventus Red 
FW: TM Sim2 Ti 15deg w/ Tensei Blue

Hybrid: PING 425  w/ Rogue 95tx

Irons: Cobra Forded Tec 22' 4-PW w/ Recoil 1110 F5
Wedges: Edel SMS 54-58
Putter: Cobra Stingray 40